Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Phat Cat wrote: »
    The habitual resistance debate is an interesting topic especially considering that the Irish government have recently opened our boarders to Romanian & Bulgarian workers.

I find it bizarre that there are very few jobs here yet our government suddenly feels the need to allow more people to move here to flood the already saturated jobs market.

Welcome to the EU! Plenty of Bulgarians and Romanians already here. They could get a PPS number but needed a work permit to gain employment. A lot of employers didnt realise this and thought EU-PPS number, sweet. I can employ them.

It will just legalise people who were technically working illegally. Not too sure if a surge of newcomers will wash up here, but lets wait and see.

Sin City wrote: »

The idea of moving back home for some people with young families is not an option. Would you move back?

And would their parents agree to put them up rent free? Most wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

IrishAm wrote: »
    And would their parents agree to put them up rent free? Most wouldn't.

There is also that.

It seems that those suggesting these course of actions just want to see the poor and vunerble suffer more and be humiliated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

And what if mammy and daddy dont have room for juniour moving home?
    Maybe they downsized or they grew old and had to be put in a home where the selling of the house was needed. Or worse that the parents had died and the house was sold.

The idea of moving back home for some people with young families is not an option. Would you move back?

But surely all the above can be tested?

No way should some 20 year old who is on the dole be getting money just so he/she can live away from home because they feel like doing so.

If they can't get a job, then they shouldn't be living above their means which is what living somewhere they have to pay rent really is.

A bit of cop on is due on certain things like this, but it looks like it has taken the IMF to go and push our govtment into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

There is also that.

It seems that those suggesting these course of actions just want to see the poor and vunerble suffer more and be humiliated

why would anybody want to see that........????

CucaFace wrote: »

No way should some 20 year old who is on the dole be getting money just so he/she can live away from home because they feel like doing so.

If they can't get a job, then they shouldn't be living above their means which is what living somewhere they have to pay rent really is.

A bit of cop on is due on certain things like this, but it looks like it has taken the IMF to go and push our govtment into action.

What about those over 20, married with kids, surely you dont expect them to move back?

You have to pay rent everywhere mate. I dont think there is anywhere at the moment that is completly 100 % rent free.

Maybe raise the income tax, let the earners pay a bit more instead of hitting the poorest of the poor.

why would anybody want to see that........????

Power trips.

They all hear the rummer of an unepmolyed person getting more than the working man and they resent that rumour so much that it actually primes them to treat all unemployed people as scroungers and want to see them suffer as much as they can just to make themselves feel better

A lot of ifs and buts come into play throughout your statement. In truth, we should have sorted all this out during the boom years when work was plentiful and only the genuinely sick, elderly and those that just fell on bad times needed government assistance. The media, us the people and the opposition remained quiet whilst Bertie increased welfare payments tenfold.

And here we are. We have a pox of system, easily abused but with 100,000s of people who genuinely need it to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Am I getting this right?
    What you are saying, the unemployed and probably also low income earners are living beyond their means if they are in rented accommadation.

Jesus christ.

Would you be happy seeing them live on the streets or in hostels.

Do you want towns and cities up and down the country to open up soup kitchens so that you could suggest taking more money away from their SW payment.

Perhaps you could invite some unemployed to eat from your bins to save you from paying refuse charges. Maybe you could throw them a cardboard box that you've finished with too.

• Advertisement

What about those over 20, married with kids, surely you dont expect them to move back?

You have to pay rent everywhere mate. I dont think there is anywhere at the moment that is completly 100 % rent free.

Maybe raise the income tax, let the earners pay a bit more instead of hitting the poorest of the poor.

No I just said it can all be checked which is surely a fair comment?

I wouldn't expect a family with kids to have to move back home.

As long as they aren't long term SW'ers and under the age of 24 with a few kids already (and you know exactly the types im talking about here).

As for this hitting the poorer of the poor, please give it a rest. Those who are working are paying enough Tax as it is.

So you want us to pay more, so that lots of people who are conveniently playing the system for what it is worth can continue to do whatever they please?

Maybe we would all be happy enough to pay more taxes if we were sure that this money was going to the right people on SW and not where it is going at the moment.

The system badly needs to weed out a good proportion of people from it, and the sooner the better.

You seem very reluctant to change in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Welcome to the EU! Plenty of Bulgarians and Romanians already here. They could get a PPS number but needed a work permit to gain employment. A lot of employers didnt realise this and thought EU-PPS number, sweet. I can employ them.

It will just legalise people who were technically working illegally. Not too sure if a surge of newcomers will wash up here, but lets wait and see.

Interesting.

I still think that it's a bad move by our government to open our boarders to two more countries with a combined population of nearly 30 million people, both of whom have the lowest GDP per capita in the EU and who have a combined unemployment rate of around 20% (Bulgaria 12% Romania 8%).

It just reeks of absolute stupidity.

Power trips.

They all hear the rummer of an unepmolyed person getting more than the working man and they resent that rumour so much that it actually primes them to treat all unemployed people as scroungers and want to see them suffer as much as they can just to make themselves feel better

You really seem blind to what most posters are saying.

Not everyone on SW should be getting what they are getting.

They are playing the system.

There ar a lot who who deserve all the help they are getting and we have no issues with these people, but you seem to just want there to be a system where a lot of people can (and are) take advantage of the situation at a time when the country cannot afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sorry if it has been stated, are they planning on cutting OAP's money?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Am I getting this right?
    What you are saying, the unemployed and probably also low income earners are living beyond their means if they are in rented accommadation.

Jesus christ.

Would you be happy seeing them live on the streets or in hostels.

Do you want towns and cities up and down the country to open up soup kitchens so that you could suggest taking more money away from their SW payment.

Perhaps you could invite some unemployed to eat from your bins to save you from paying refuse charges. Maybe you could throw them a cardboard box that you've finished with too.

Wow people seem to find it hard to read.

I said that for a 20 year old to be on the dole and living away from home when it is unnecessary is wrong and is taking the piss.

Do you disagree with this?

Interesting.

I still think that it's a bad move by our government to open our boarders to two more countries with a combined population of nearly 30 million people, both of whom have the lowest GDP per capita in the EU and who have a combined unemployment rate of around 20% (Bulgaria 12% Romania 8%).

They had to open them by 2014 anyway. Romanians and Bulgarians are EU citizens and the fundamental function of the EU is freedom of good, people and services. Its not like they picked two random countries off a map and waived all visa restrictions for them. Speaking of visa restrictions, we have waived any restrictions on a billion plus people this summer. Now that concerns me. A lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Why should they not receive cuts as well?

They are the ones deciding to cut public sector wages, cut benefits, raise the retirement age, etc etc... yet never for themselves! Thats a load of bull****. They are among the highest paid politicians anywhere. And then receiving multiple pensions and all those other benefits... its legal thievery.

I never said they shouldn't receive cuts, I was pointing out the inherent hypocrisy in demanding nominal cuts to be made to politicians, but when the same nominal cuts are proposed for "ordinary working people", it's met with "well it wouldn't save that much anyway".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

About fooking time.

Maybe now i'll stop seeing so many dole-suckers down the pub on "cap-in-hand" day.

What kind of man cannot provide for himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Where are the people going? I want out!

Interesting.

I love your math.

Throw in a couple more countries and you'll be able to say "but they have a combined 100% unemployment rate!"

Well, if you like the idea of closing the borders to Bulgarians with their 12% rate, then you'll surely have no issue with Canada/Aus/NZ doing likewise to the 16% unemployment rate Irish?

Also: Dey tuk ur jebs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

there is woe and despair on this thread........

but what about all the public service workers, and many in the private sector.....

they are still living in the celtic tiger days......

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I love your math.

Throw in a couple more countries and you'll be able to say "but they have a combined 100% unemployment rate!"

They tuk ur jebs!

Well I'm glad that you find it amusing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

About fooking time

What kind of man cannot provide for himself?

A man who is down on his luck maybe. I hope you get a taste of it so you could answer your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

just wana say one thing . whilst i agree with some things dat are being said here , i also have to take in to account the fact that i am alive and living ..so i ask anyone to listen to this piece of music and still worry bout something as small as money ...This is something that will be dug up by our great great great great grandchildren ...

Im sorry for getting off topic but really wen u compare the problems we are having in relation to what we have already produced ..the connection is minimal. I wish everyone here the very best ...timeis so very short and whilst i love complaining , we have only a pre-determined amount of time ...so please instead of arguin just say fug it ...lets have somefun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qx2lMaMsl8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Interesting.

The absolute stupidity is claiming they have a combined rate of 20% unemplyment!
    Think about it

SocSocPol wrote: »
    The absolute stupidity is claiming they have a combined rate of 20% unemplyment!
    Think about it

Okay I'm uncombine them, one has an unemployment rate of 8% while the other has an unemployment rate of 12%. Happy?

The simple fact of the matter is the we have opened our boarders to around 6 million unemployed people from these two countries who's average wage is less then a third of our monthly social welfare payment.

They were going to be allowed come anyway in 18 months but since there are very few jobs here it seems like a rather futile gesture from our government.

Okay I'm uncombine them, one has an unemployment rate of 8% while the other has an unemployment rate of 12%. Happy?

There combined unemployment rate is 10%. Romanians and Bulgarians were free to come here, get a PPS number and chance their arm for years now. Most employers were ignorant of the fact that they needed a work permit to gain employment.

I don't really expect a major upsurge in numbers. Anyway, they are fellow EU citizens. We signed up to every EU treaty(eventually), so we can not really complain.

Doesn't really worry me. What does but, is this shit. Waiving visa requirements for potentially billions of people. Expect an upsurge in illegals.
    Some of the countries that will be able to avail of the waiver from July include: Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, India, China and Uzbekistan.
    Minister Shatter said there were 30,000 visitors from these countries to Ireland last year and so the measure provides for substantial growth in tourist numbers.

There combined unemployment rate is 10%. Romanians and Bulgarians were free to come here, get a PPS number and chance their arm for years now. Most employers were ignorant of the fact that they needed a work permit to gain employment.

I don't really expect a major upsurge in numbers. Anyway, they are fellow EU citizens. We signed up to every EU treaty(eventually), so we can not really complain.

It's actually bang on 20%. Bulgaria have 12.6% and Romania have 7.4% as of April 2012 according to Eurostat.

So with a combined population of nearly 30 million, that's nearly 6 million unemployed people that are legally allowed to work in Ireland.

Even if 1% of their combined unemployed come to Ireland that's 60,000 people coming here to find work and most will probably end up on the dole and adding to our burden.
    Doesn't really worry me. What does but, is this shit. Waiving visa requirements for potentially billions of people. Expect an upsurge in illegals.

That is very worrying. A mate of mine works in IT and he told me that the government are contemplating giving out 75,000 visas per year to non-EU workers to fill vacant IT roles in Ireland.

I know there are skill shortage in certain areas of IT but surely there can't be that many unfilled IT positions in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Finally. A dole bashing thread that seamlessly slides into a bit of old fashioned Xenophobia. Nice.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Finally. A dole bashing thread that seamlessly slides into a bit of old fashioned Xenophobia. Nice.

Wanting people to come here through lawful means does not make one a xenophobe.

It's actually bang on 20%. Bulgaria have 12.6% and Romania have 7.4% as of April 2012 according to Eurostat.

Add the two together and divide by two. Then you will get the unemployment figure between the two. ;)
    So with a combined population of nearly 30 million, that's nearly 6 million unemployed people that are legally allowed to work in Ireland.

It doesn't. If your figures for unemployment are correct, then some 10% of the working aged population of the two nations are unemployed.
    Even if 1% of their combined unemployed come to Ireland that's 60,000 people coming here to find work and most will probably end up on the dole and adding to our burden.

They could already come to Ireland and take their chances that most small time employers(bars etc) are ignorant of EU law. They could also lawfully obtain PPS numbers.

Seriously, I think you are worrying about nothing. We may get a small immediate upsurge, but I would suspect that these people were already here, working illegally. This would just help them become legal workers.

Rightly or wrongly and some eurocrats have recently spoken out and said some of the accession states should not have been admitted into the EU, they are now EU citizens and deserve the same rights as we enjoy. Nothing to stop our unemployed to go over to Bulgaria and Romania and teach English, open up an Irish bar and enter their labour market.

Its a reciprocal agreement and Romanians do not equate with Roma Gypsies.

That is very worrying. A mate of mine works in IT and he told me that the government are contemplating giving out 75,000 visas per year to non-EU workers to fill vacant IT roles in Ireland.

I know there are skill shortage in certain areas of IT but surely there can't be that many unfilled IT positions in this country?

Its 70,000 and your mate would be right. Very worrying. Alan Shatter's idea, yet again. I am more concerned about him lashing out citizenship, coming up with hair brained visa schemes and waiving visa restrictions on billions of people from the developing world.

Now that, is a concern.

• Advertisement

Seriously, I think you are worrying about nothing. We may get a small immediate upsurge, but I would suspect that these people were already here, working illegally. This would just help them become legal workers.

I probably am worried about nothing, it's just that my wife is looking for work and is constantly coming up short so anything to hinder her progress any further greatly concerns me.
    Rightly or wrongly and some eurocrats have recently spoken out and said some of the accession states should not have been admitted into the EU, they are now EU citizens and deserve the same rights as we enjoy. Nothing to stop our unemployed to go over to Bulgaria and Romania and teach English, open up an Irish bar and enter their labour market.

Oh I agree, if they are in the EU they have rights just like the rest of us. I just feel the timing is all wrong especially if the IMF's proposed 40% social welfare cut goes through, Irish people are going to need all the help they can get.

Plus I don't see richer EU countries with low unemplyment opening their boarders to Romania & Bulgaria. Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands still have their boarders closed until 2014.
    Its a reciprocal agreement and Romanians do not equate with Roma Gypsies.

Oh I'm fully aware that being a Romanian citizen does not equal being a Roma Gypsy.

There are actually more Roma in Bulgaria (4.9% of the population) then there are in Romania (3.2%).
    Its 70,000 and your mate would be right. Very worrying. Alan Shatter's idea, yet again. I am more concerned about him lashing out citizenship, coming up with hair brained visa schemes and waiving visa restrictions on billions of people from the developing world.

Now that, is a concern.

Fully agreed.
    ArtSmart wrote: »

Oh I forgot, you can't post anything non PC on these boards for the fear of being labelled a racist woman hater who doesn't know they're from there :rolleyes:

I probably am worried about nothing, it's just that my wife is looking for work and is constantly coming up short so anything to hinder her progress any further greatly concerns me.

Understandable, man. A lot of my buddies are unemployed and its heartbreaking to see them struggle. A load of us went to the Dublin game on Sunday, a trip we made since childhood and it was hard to watch them try and avoid rounds, food runs, taxis etc. due to their lack of funds.

So we just paid for most things without making a deal out of it.

I wish your wife the best of luck with the jobhunt.

Understandable, man. A lot of my buddies are unemployed and its heartbreaking to see them struggle. A load of us went to the Dublin game on Sunday, a trip we made since childhood and it was hard to watch them try and avoid rounds, food runs, taxis etc. due to their lack of funds.

So we just paid for most things without making a deal out of it.

I wish your wife the best of luck with the jobhunt.

Cheers, I really appreciate that :)

Yeah it's really tough out there at the minute, I just hate to see her struggling like this while the government twiddle their thumbs and fob people off with the likes of Jobs Bridge & Work Placement Programs.

Cheers, I really appreciate that :)

Yeah it's really tough out there at the minute, I just hate to see her struggling like this while the government twiddle their thumbs and fob people off with the likes of Jobs Bridge & Work Placement Programs.

Completely understandable, man. I understand your frustration. I have set up my own wee business since I returned to Dublin and its tough. Some weeks I am barely breaking enough to to feed myself. The next I am doing well. Its cut throat out there. Its a feast or famine. I am bringing up my younger brother too, so it aint easy.

I hope your wife gets a bit of work soon and you can live a proper and decent lifestyle. She shall receive a break when she least expects it.

It's tough out there at the moment and I know the vast majority of my people, Irish people, want to work. So it really p*sses me off when geebags start labelling those on welfare as lazy.

Wish your wife goodluck from me. All you can do is keep supporting and encouraging her.

Completely understandable, man. I understand your frustration. I have set up my own wee business since I returned to Dublin and its tough. Some weeks I am barely breaking enough to to feed myself. The next I am doing well. Its cut throat out there. Its a feast or famine. I am bringing up my younger brother too, so it aint easy.

I hope your wife gets a bit of work soon and you can live a proper and decent lifestyle. She shall receive a break when she least expects it.

It's tough out there at the moment and I know the vast majority of my people, Irish people, want to work. So it really p*sses me off when geebags start labelling those on welfare as lazy.

Wish your wife goodluck from me. All you can do is keep supporting and encouraging her.
    Now thats better, more accurate.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

war_child wrote: »
    ,not in to general population but given a training wing all to his lonesome.
    How much of the governments money is it costing to house this fella Hmmmm enquiring minds would like to know?????????
    Maybe they have plans to fill it full of others of his ilk. An extension to it would probably be needed if that's the case.

See the Sean Fitzpatrick thread. It looks like they are intending for him to have company. :D

The simple fact of the matter is the we have opened our boarders to around 6 million unemployed people from these two countries who's average wage is less then a third of our monthly social welfare payment.

They were going to be allowed come anyway in 18 months but since there are very few jobs here it seems like a rather futile gesture from our government.

Its about skills.

Workers? check.
    Skilled workers industry needs? No check.

Open the borders, and let in the skilled staff.

There are actually.

IT employers here are crying out for skilled staff. The uni's here are simply not pumping out enough students with relevant IT skills. Often, they learn new systems and techniques that are obsolete the moment they leave uni.

Now thats better, more accurate.:)

Stop editing my posts to reflect your beliefs. I am Irish, my people are Irish. Sin e.

• Advertisement

There are actually.

IT employers here are crying out for skilled staff. The uni's here are simply not pumping out enough students with relevant IT skills. Often, they learn new systems and techniques that are obsolete the moment they leave uni.

70,000 of them?

70,000 of them?

Perhaps not 70k, but enough to be a major issue.

Unless the uni system gets a shake-up and actually teaches relevant skills, the whole "Ireland IT hub of the world, cloud heaven, blah blah blah," is just more waffle and will never happen with Irish staff.

Perhaps not 70k, but enough to be a major issue.

Unless the uni system gets a shake-up and actually teaches relevant skills, the whole "Ireland IT hub of the world, cloud heaven, blah blah blah," is just more waffle and will never happen with Irish staff.

Really, yeah. Why do I hear recent IT graduates complain that they will be forced abroad to gain employment in their field all the while, non EU citizens gain visas to work here in said positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Really, yeah. Why do I hear recent IT graduates complain that they will be forced abroad to gain employment in their field all the while, non EU citizens gain visas to work here in said positions.

Graduated last year in an IT related discipline.

Have an IT job, as does everyone in my class who got halfway reasonable results.

I'd be very suspicious of any IT grad who couldn't find a job.

Because many of these Jobs require fluency in a second language that Irish graduates do not have.

Because many of these Jobs require fluency in a second language that Irish graduates do not have.

I am well aware of that. Some, but 70,000 of them? We have access to a labour market of 500,000,000 people.

The amount of non EU citizens gaining new employment here should be in the 100s. Not the tens of thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

NinjaK wrote: »
    What a load of b****x

Are you on the dole ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Because they either did not do well in college or they are not educated in the systems which the company works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

This myth is repeated an awful lot with fuck all to back it up. A small minority of those on welfare would turn their noses up at a menial level job, the majority, would snap your arm off.

I remember over Christmas that RTE interviewed hundreds of people queuing up for seasonal minimum wage jobs at Argos. All Irish. All unemployed. Queuing up for hours in the hope of getting an interview.

Yet some flutes still peddle the all Irish are lazy/wont work menial jobs spiel.

Load of bollix.

Couldnt agree more Irish , We are by no means lazy , ive worked on building sites from Dublin to london and even to florida. Ive always gone were the work was. My circumstances have changed my partner is on disability due to rheumatoid arthiritis, and leaving Ireland is not an option for us now.

I have taken on a CE scheme which affords me an extra 50 euro a week, but any money is welcome and ill be working which is the most important thing to me. So i would just like to point out to those naysayers who claim Irish people are lazy get upoff your asses get off the computer and go out in to the world and get some first hand experience before u start spewing statements that you have no factual evidence to support.

Hard Working Irish man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

reprazant wrote: »
    Because they either did not do well in college or they are not educated in the systems which the company works.

On the job training is quite common in IT.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

99% of IT jobs advertised in Ireland want 3-5 years experience. Entry level jobs are rare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement