Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

People get less and things cost more.

Yep. Cost of living was up 2.2% so apparently a perfect time to make cuts :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

How about you go away, find out, then come back and tell us so you have some basis to your argument.

i was more of a statement than a question actually.

Try contributing yourself instead of trolling, maybe?

Unemployment Rate was 4-6% before the recession kicked in meaning roughly 1/3 of all unemployed were already unemployed during the 'BOOM' years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How about you go away, find out, then come back and tell us so you have some basis to your argument.

He might not have the facts but there would be definately be a minority of the population who would never have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

But, regardless of that, in 2012, access to a computer for keeping track of jobs and things is kind of essential.

No it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Yep. Cost of living was up 2.2% so apparently a perfect time to make cuts :confused:

Why confused? It's easy to understand no? :confused::confused:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

hondasam wrote: »
    No it's not.

To increase your chances of getting a job, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭lightspeed

why is everybody so focused on this flat tax approach where there is little to no means testing involved. I have friends of mine who are young and out of work. One of them is off for a weekend break to Newcastle. The other is out drinking every week. They both live at home with parents, have no children and no bills. Therefore necessity does not exist to look for work does not exist. They openly admit that they are happy on the dole.

Of course it is not the same for everybody. I was once on the dole and it was nowhere near like that for me.

But neither argument shows that the dole needs to be lower, remain the same or be increased.

Considering most of the population are not and were not responsible for the economic crisis, I think it would be just for people with large debts to receive more than those without any debts or liabilities.

Considering the country is spending more money that it takes and and recent reports state that the divide between rich and poor is larger than it has been in 30 years, there are two questions that come to mind for me:

1) Why do people on the dole, even young people with no medical illness or condition receive a free medical card?
    2) Why has income tax not been increased on the top earners to help bridge the dividing gap between the mega rich and the middle class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

i live on 101 euro a week its very hard you know i eat only once a day if im cut anymore i dunno what i will do :(

caviar does not have your five a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Some of the biggest leeches in this state are Government advisers, including a Press Secretary who has been given a pay increase bringing his salary to €119,795. A Deputy Press Secretary whose pay was increased to €99,236 and Enda Kenny securing a deal to make the salary of a ministerial adviser €127,000. All this happened last month BTW.

The IMF need to start from the top down capping the wages of these people whose payment comes from the taxes of you and I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Things are not 100% more expensive than the UK (essentials, which is what the dole is for).

I'm on the dole btw and I'll admit it's too high.

Do you live at home with your parents? Not meant to be a smart arsed question by the way.

I work for a small business and we have seen income down for the same amount of work and overheads are more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

this is bad.

Im layed off as from monday.

Feckin better get another job right and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Cutting the spending power of those on the dole who aren't able to find jobs as jobs don't suddenly get created out of nothing. So, places need to let some staff go as they aren't getting the same level of business. So increasing people on the dole. Don't you just love the "genius" plans these fools come up with.

Well we keep hearing about how everyone in the public sector is paid 6000x times thre salary of everyone else in Europe so I suppose all that blabbermouthing got the IMF to look at the dole as well - and sure enough, it's 460% higher than the UK or France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

i live on 101 euro a week its very hard you know i eat only once a day if im cut anymore i dunno what i will do :(

You either live at home or are receiving rent allowance. Do you get free medical aswell?
    Plenty of room for savings in other areas; for instance, if civil servants didn't get free parking, it would bring around €10,000 a year per civil servant into the economy.

How can this be? Some people need to take more care of their outgoings. If some can manage it.....
    To increase your chances of getting a job, it is.

Library

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

martomcg wrote: »
    Means testing all applicants will limit the number of people scamming to receive multiple benefits and deter people who are happy sitting on E187 for doing nothing compared to E300 for a full weeks work.

i think they should first and foremost 'means test' this child benefit, i also find giving child benefit at our local rate to someone who has kids living abroad is hmm sickening, it should be paid at their home countries rate.

child benefit is the most costly area of welfare at the present.
    many people have come out and said they could do without it as they are better off.

oh and cut TD's pay, pension and perks to inc. all ex TDs pensions.
    in fact Ahern should be cut off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I agree with them. They are factoring in the many other entitlements that people can claim also in addition to the dole.

AND What about the ESRI report which uncovered the simple fact of the matter that for many working people, additional costs of working are highly significant at nearly €7,000 per year without children; increasing to nearly €9,000 per year with one child under the age of five. It says work-related expenses are so high that many families would be better off on welfare, particularly those with children.

Not to mention:

Rent allowance
    1. Fuel allowance
    2. Back to school allowance
    3. School meal allowance
    4. Special needs payment
    5. Communion allowance his & 'ers
    6. Medical card
    7. Child Benefit,
    8. Disablement Benefit,
    9. Domiciliary Care Allowance,
    10. Foster Care Allowance,
    11. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit in respect of an Orphan,
    12. Guardian's Payment

I'd say they are totally gobsmacked when they saw this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

I imagine the conversation went like this.

Noony baby : Hello MR IMF.
    Mr IMF : Hello there.
    Noony baby : I need you to tell me to cut state benefits.
    Mr IMF : Why?
    Noony baby : So I can say I was told to and it wasn't our idea. Political you know.
    Mr IMF : OK, Cut the dole.

Well theres only one answer. Get off the dole if you're on it.
    That's what 85% of the population are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One thing I don't get is why are the cutting ordinary people, why not go after Biffo, Bertie, and their lot. They are earning hundreds of thousands a year for ****ing up the country, cut their pensions, they certainly didn't earn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the imf said, it is more benificial to stay on the dole, than to take low paying jobs...........

is that right, or not right...????

Boombastic wrote: »
    You either live at home or are receiving rent allowance. Do you get free medical aswell?

For me personally, I wasn't entitled to rent allowance, and had heard nothing about a medical card in the 9 months I was unemployed (despite having a chronic long term illness).
    Library

Yes, libraries offer free internet. What's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I suppose all that blabbermouthing got the IMF to look at the dole as well - and sure enough, it's 460% higher than the UK or France.
    ...no its not 460 % higher than uk or france,in the uk they get vouchers and about 80 spending money in cash..So its practically the same..
    Cutting the spending power of those on the dole who aren't able to find jobs as jobs don't suddenly get created out of nothing. So, places need to let some staff go as they aren't getting the same level of business. So increasing people on the dole. Don't you just love the "genius" plans these fools come up with.
    no there definately is no genius in these buffons,they never had to live a life on the dole,and are so detached,why dont they chase the big bucks i wonder,or are they too cosy with our overpaid politicians,county councillors and civil servants..It has to be said state jobs are cushy numbers,you could practically stand on your head and not get fired.!

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    I agree with them. They are factoring in the many other entitlements that people can claim also in addition to the dole.

I'd reckon there'd be very few instances of all those entitlements applying to a single applicant.
    AND What about the ESRI report which uncovered the simple fact of the matter that for many working people, additional costs of working are highly significant at nearly €7,000 per year without children; increasing to nearly €9,000 per year with one child under the age of five. It says work-related expenses are so high that many families would be better off on welfare, particularly those with children.

That report was criticised (and withdrawn, as far as I know?) for not taking into account costs associated with being unemployed.
    Rent allowance
    1. Fuel allowance
    2. Back to school allowance
    3. School meal allowance
    4. Special needs payment
    5. Communion allowance his & 'ers
    6. Medical card
    7. Child Benefit,
    8. Disablement Benefit,
    9. Domiciliary Care Allowance,
    10. Foster Care Allowance,
    11. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit in respect of an Orphan,
    12. Guardian's Payment

I'd say they are totally gobsmacked when they saw this.

I'd say they were, as it doesn't fit the ethos of the IMF. Some of those payments are, indeed, nuts, but special needs payments? disablement benefit? Back to school allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Why don't these pricks go after the protected species professions with as much vigour as those at the bottom of this putrid shit-heap?

Hospital Consultants, overpaid 'civil Servants', GP's and Dentists, Semi State management, PbS bureaucrats, The legal people..

So many people here don't even understand that we are in a recession. The boom is still going, in their eyes. And they're probably buying up property all over the place at these knock-down prices.

They bent us over, did us dry. And now they're back for more? Unbelievable.

They'll want me legs next. Fine pair they are n all. Wonder how they're worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Decide if the internet connection and computer you're using is more important than food

Did you stop to think before you posted that? What better way to find work, do CVs, improve computer skills etc.etc.etc. Oh what's the point......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If you cut income and the cost of services and essentials then essentially there is no incentive to get off welfare as you're still getting the same amount of services/products for your money. The idea is that if you give out less money, people can buy less stuff and will be more inclined to find work. Well that's the theory anyway.

Thats a theory that may of worked in 2004 when there actually was jobs. There are no jobs so the theory doesn't ring through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

One thing I don't get is why are the cutting ordinary people, why not go after Biffo, Bertie, and their lot. They are earning hundreds of thousands a year for ****ing up the country, cut their pensions, they certainly didn't earn them.

Unfortunately there are more of us on less and less of those in the higher establishment on more.

For me personally, I wasn't entitled to rent allowance, and had heard nothing about a medical card in the 9 months I was unemployed (despite having a chronic long term illness).

Yes, libraries offer free internet. What's your point?

Point being outgoings should be examined and necessities prioritised.

Also, many ancillary allowances and benefits available to unemployed people

Unemployed for 2 years & child under 7? get your house insulated free

Employed - do it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Well Dublin is one of the more expensive cities in the world:eek:

Why, I will never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Jesus H Christ it just gets worse and worse.

Just finished a I.T course and planning to go further in September (And studying in the interim)

But what bloody hope do i have with these idiots in charge.

Give it 5 years and we will be completely fcuked in all areas:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Unemployed for 2 years & child under 7? get your house insulated free

Employed - do it yourself

Well thats a new one to add to the list :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Cut a hundred thousand public & civil sector workers, get rid of the county councils and senate, end the mountains of red tape attached to everything. This Government is a disgrace, on one hand you have FG trying to do something right and on the other hand you have labour who are only concerned with protecting the Croke Park agreement and would happily cut everything else to preserve the Public sector. The dole should be increased to €200 a week and cut the fat from the public sector and let them live on the dole. It would save several billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Decide if the internet connection and computer you're using is more important than food

If it's how you're searching for work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I really hate the way that boards.ie has become a place for hate posts. There are many of these anti-unemployed, anti-women, anti-Traveller posts, really horrible.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cut a hundred thousand public & civil sector workers, get rid of the county councils and senate, end the mountains of red tape attached to everything. This Government is a disgrace, on one hand you have FG trying to do something right and on the other hand you have labour who are only concerned with protecting the Croke Park agreement and would happily cut everything else to preserve the Public sector. The dole should be increased to €200 a week and cut the fat from the public sector and let them live on the dole. It would save several billion.

So your solution is to create more unemployment :eek:

FFS run at the next election you would fit in perfect with the rest of the numpties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tells you how out of touch the people in Govt and the IMF are. Ireland is one of if not the most expensive County in the EU. Prices are going up all the time. Not going down.

I agree its time the Govt showed some leadership and took a paycut themselves. Its crazy that the Taoiseach Enda Kenny [and Brain Cowen and Bertie Ahern before him] make more than the President of the United States.

I have an idea.

Why don't the people lucky enough to have jobs, point their fingers at those who lost theirs. Then try to find ways to chamfer off as much of the government assistance, they are getting.

This is just like a few years ago when the public and private sector were at each others throats. The government just sat back with folded arms. Divide and conquer.

The IMF are scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

martomcg wrote: »
    i was more of a statement than a question actually.

Try contributing yourself instead of trolling, maybe?

Ah so it was a meaningless rhetorical question with no place in your post other than to stir a little. :D

As for trolling... I've contributed to more of these types of threads than I should ever have allowed myself to sucked into doing. You'll find as time goes on that it's a pointless circle which gets vicious by the 65th page. :rolleyes: I read them to get my sluggish blood pressure into overdrive but I do dislike when I see posters making comments without substantiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

So many people here don't even understand that we are in a recession.

Including our government:for starters they could make life a bit easier on parents by not changing the school curriculum so books can handed down-a simple but effective move.

It will never be fixed here, the people will just keep accepting what is thrown at them and do what they are told, nothing will change and things will only get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

So if there's 445,000 unemployed in Ireland and they say the Social Welfare Bill is €20,000,000,000 then and bear with me here...

€20,000,000,000/445,000 = €45,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Explain, thanks.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Tells you how out of touch the people in Govt and the IMF are. Ireland is one of if not the most expensive County in the EU. Prices are going up all the time. Not going down.

I don't think they are 'out of touch'. They're sociopaths who couldn't care less. Same as the last government.

The folks who orchestrated the fall of this country haven't gone to jail (Seanie Fitz and Co.)

It makes you ask the question why arent they so intent on chasing the big bucks???

So if there's 445,000 unemployed in Ireland and they say the Social Welfare Bill is €20,000,000,000 then and bear with me here...

Explain, thanks.

Child allowance FIS and a few other bits are payed to people who are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Explain, thanks.

Social welfare doesn't just cover unemployment benefits.

Explain, thanks.

Prams - bus stops;);) That's all I have to say about that

covers those FAS and JOBBRIDGE ''WORKERS'',who get abused by the local economy for free labour work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

JohnMc1 wrote: »

I agree its time the Govt showed some leadership and took a paycut themselves. Its crazy that the Taoiseach Enda Kenny [and Brain Cowen and Bertie Ahern before him] make more than the President of the United States.

You've answered that yourself. It's very expensive being a Taoiseach in Ireland. It's much cheaper to be a President in the US where the cost of living is less. :D

Splendour wrote: »
    Including our government:for starters they could make life a bit easier on parents by not changing the school curriculum so books can handed down-a simple but effective move.

Must be nepotism or something. Folens are making a fortune from this 'must-change-books-every-year' idea some crook had. It's a scam.

There are plenty of options which would help cut the cost of giving children an education. It's not supposed to be a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maun

It's definitely time the dole was cut, its way too high. I finished college in May and had done 4 interviews in the last few months of college. I have a job which I started 3 weeks ago and was called for more interviews.. all i can see are lazy wasters who won't work. I'm 22 and have worked more than many of them over the last 6 years I'd imagine. And don't get me started on disability allowance.. The dole is for scroungers and they're not worth the money they are getting. I hope to God it is cut more soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Explain, thanks.

Then there's however main thousand on Work Placement, Jobbridge and Fas courses and the like. They don't appear on the books as unemployed, because they're not signing on.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So your solution is to create more unemployment :eek:

FFS run at the next election you would fit in perfect with the rest of the numpties

well at least they would be creating something, where would you start, is it time to tell them to fook off and start afresh,

but then you will have the good folks of boards telling us to stop talking through our holes there is no way we can walk away,

while complaining about the decisions our overlords are making and at the same time telling us we have no choice but to put up and shut up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement