Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe we should cut things that people don't need as much, such as childrens allowance for example, medical cards for rich old people etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

maun wrote: »
    And don't get me started on disability allowance..

Those f**kers are so lazy that they have wheels on their chairs so that they don't even have to walk! Shocking so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arsefacefrmhel

imf know they won`t cut the welfare but they prob let people think it, then put a deal on the table that says it won`t be touched for 5 years but
    in the mean time everything around it will go up, so in a way you`ll be getting cut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Maybe we should cut things that people don't need as much,medical cards for rich old people etc.

Mary Harney tried that and 15,000 people protested in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

It's definitely time the dole was cut, its way too high. I finished college in May and had done 4 interviews in the last few months of college. I have a job which I started 3 weeks ago and was called for more interviews.. all i can see are lazy wasters who won't work. I'm 22 and have worked more than many of them over the last 6 years I'd imagine. And don't get me started on disability allowance.. The dole is for scroungers and they're not worth the money they are getting. I hope to God it is cut more soon.

Lucky lucky you. I've had 15 interviews, no job offers and am now being told I'm too old. You have no idea how much people out there are suffering.

You might also want to now brush up on your spelling, punctuation and grammar if you want to retain that job.

As for the topic, this looks suspiciously like FG who have goaded the IMF into this as it saves face for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cut a hundred thousand public & civil sector workers, get rid of the county councils and senate, end the mountains of red tape attached to everything. This Government is a disgrace, on one hand you have FG trying to do something right and on the other hand you have labour who are only concerned with protecting the Croke Park agreement and would happily cut everything else to preserve the Public sector. The dole should be increased to €200 a week and cut the fat from the public sector and let them live on the dole. It would save several billion.

What then?

I think we all agree the PS/CS needs changing and there are changes happening all the time.
    The Croke Park agreement is there for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Things are not 100% more expensive than the UK (essentials, which is what the dole is for).

I'm on the dole btw and I'll admit it's too high.

it's not too high it offers a basic standard of living. I'm not on the dole and if my taxes help avoid the ghettos (or as they like to call them "sink estates") large parts of Britian has become , then it's money well spent.

Britian is a hugely 2 tier society much more polarised than here.
    It would be nice to avoid that.

Personally I don't think the dole is too high - I have friends on the dole and it pays the basic and not the mortgage.
    Dole is fine if you are in a council house, private house forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Mary Harney tried that and 15,000 people protested in Dublin

Another hard winter and cutting the OAP fuel allowance will deal with them! Lower pensions burden. Encourage younger people to retire, open up vacated positions to be filled.

Maybe cut funding to suicide helplines while we're at it.... More job's opened up. More off the dole too.

Every Road Death is a Situation Vacant. Enforcement should focus on revenue generation rather than safety.

Emigration grants. One time payment, repayable on return to the country. People who leave the country and never return are no longer on the dole.

Encourage smoking. Not only will this raise taxes, cancer will free up positions in the long term, while reducing the pensions burder.

More Seats in the Dail. More jobs for gob****es with no hope, no brain and no experience.

This is ****in' easy this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

hondasam wrote: »
    What then?

I think we all agree the PS/CS needs changing and there are changes happening all the time.

I would say the CPA will have to be changed at some point. It's already being hinted at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

hondasam wrote: »
    What then?

The Croke Park agreement needs tearing up and take the axe to the P&CS, not one of them got a direct pay cut, what has happened is a lot of older lads who were close to retirement anyway got massive lumpsums to jump ship early, this has led to expertise shortages which has seen alot of the retirees hired back on temporary basis. They get a massive pension, tax free lump sum and now get their old jobs back to boot! This is crazy!

There needs to be massive amounts of outsourcing done to essential public services, look at certain parts of the Department of Agriculture which are given over to SWS in Cork, it has been a great success, with actual customer service and a functioning system. These workers have to do their jobs and don't have the sense of entitlement that their under-performing and overpaid equivalents in the public sector have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the cpa is the biggest move towards an irish aristocracy since independance......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Croke Park agreement needs tearing up and take the axe to the P&CS, not one of them got a direct pay cut, what has happened is a lot of older lads who were close to retirement anyway got massive lumpsums to jump ship early, this has led to expertise shortages which has seen alot of the retirees hired back on temporary basis. They get a massive pension, tax free lump sum and now get their old jobs back to boot! This is crazy!

There needs to be massive amounts of outsourcing done to essential public services, look at certain parts of the Department of Agriculture which are given over to SWS in Cork, it has been a great success, with actual customer service and a functioning system. These workers have to do their jobs and don't have the sense of entitlement that their under-performing and overpaid equivalents in the public sector have.

No PS workers got a pay cut? give me a break.
    Not everyone in the PS under -perform and I can assure you they are not all overpaid. There are some dept who actually work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Boombastic wrote: »
    Point being outgoings should be examined and necessities prioritised.

I already said earlier that one could avail of free internet services if you're unemployed in response to a poster who assumed that someone was paying for his/her own connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Banditoo MC

Where are the jobs ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Where are the jobs ffs

Well the majority of the jobs out there aren't real jobs...

Slave Labour on Jobbridge
    Door to Door "jobs"(Kinda like junor pyramid schemes)

Thats were most of the jobs are at...either work for pretty much nothing and give someone free labour

OR

Work for commission, with no guarantees or security and give someone free labour....

So all the actual business' out there have the pick of the very best of the remaining people on this Island for the vacant jobs. For the lower end jobs, better get ready to be treated like absolute crap, work for minimum wage and get no respect, stand up for yourself, they'll fire you as they'll easily replace you...

Oh the joys of trying to get a in this country at the moment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its welfare thats too high not the dole.

welfare include rent allowance, children allowance , the community welfare officers who play for flats to be kitted out with new white goods only for the people to sell them and want new ones again.

its not the dole thats too high its all the other extras people get that means overall its not worth going working for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Dartz wrote: »
    Every Road Death is a Situation Vacant. Enforcement should focus on revenue generation rather than safety.

That's a good one. I'm going to start combing through the newspapers looking at the death notices and apply for their jobs. A bit like in the good old days when people placed their planning permission notices in the paper they'd be inundated with letters and calls from potential builders and suppliers.

irishgeo wrote: »
    welfare include rent allowance, children allowance , the community welfare officers who play for flats to be kitted out with new white goods only for the people to sell them and want new ones again.

Are you really against Child Benefit being paid?

Are you really against Child Benefit being paid?

yes to the likes of bono and the all the other wealthy people in the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 maun

Kurz wrote: »
    Those f**kers are so lazy that they have wheels on their chairs so that they don't even have to walk! Shocking so it is.
    ha i wish they were then they might deserve it most are walking around with nothing wrong saying they have depression and can't work crap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't think welfare payments should be cut, but I definitely think they should be means tested more.

One of my friends is on disability allowance, as she has very mild learning difficulties. So mild in fact, that I did not know she had them.

She gets the standard 188 euro per week. In the last few years of being on it, she has saved over 10,000 euro. She keeps it out of the bank so that her allowance is not cut. Aside from this, her mother regularly gives her lump sums of cash (1,000 here and there) to help her out. I'm not even joking when I say that this girl can go out whenever she wants, and every week that we go out, her bank balance is higher than the previous week, and she spends a lot more than I do!

Fair play if she's able to save money, but the dole or disability shouldn't be high enough for people to be able to save tens of thousands of euro! :eek:

I don't think it should be cut, but it should have more stringent means testing.

irishgeo wrote: »
    yes to the likes of bono and the all the other wealthy people in the place.

Why not state that in your post then instead of making blanket comments?

Why not state that in your post then instead of making blanket comments?

i should have been clearer, i apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Why does everyone get 'children's allowance'? My brother and his wife get it, they have three kids, but both of them work and are responsible with their money. So it's often the case that they don't touch the CA money until they want to treat themselves to a holiday or weekend away every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maun

I don't have any spelling mistakes in my first post although my grammar and punctuation are questionable definitely. I didn't realise people used proper punctuation on boards.ie. I only joined today and I didn't know it was such a formal website. I'm really not convinced social welfare recipients suffer, I've worked in the job I began a few weeks ago for the last three years. Working in healthcare all I can see is waste, and medical card holders are the primary offenders. Getting hundreds of euro worth of medicines for less than 5e while private patients won't/can't pay to go to the doctor doesn't sit well with me. We had another incident in work today which made me join this website as a forum to rant about welfare! Sorry for any offence I caused. It just seems to me some people don't deserve their dole money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Turn to crime
    lol :P no i wont
    I would. Anyway, why cut the dole? Cut other things first - but no, dolies are easy targets - why go to the bother of actually addressing the huge levels of waste in Public expenditure, just cut the dole. Sure everyone on the dole is a scumbag anyway and deserves to be cut to the bone. I don't actually think that, but a lot do and it is an easy way to apease our foreign rulers.
    While they're at it, they might as well Tax everyone else into extinction, use Revenue to prosecute every small business in the country and slash the Healthservice to the point that we all die anyway. Sorry? Oh yeah, they're already doing that. In a few short years, Ireland will be a total and utter kip-hole - just take a drive around a few Industrial estates, the rots set in and will take decades to reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I don't think welfare payments should be cut, but I definitely think they should be means tested more.

One of my friends is on disability allowance, as she has very mild learning difficulties. So mild in fact, that I did not know she had them.

She gets the standard 188 euro per week. In the last few years of being on it, she has saved over 10,000 euro. She keeps it out of the bank so that her allowance is not cut. Aside from this, her mother regularly gives her lump sums of cash (1,000 here and there) to help her out. I'm not even joking when I say that this girl can go out whenever she wants, and every week that we go out, her bank balance is higher than the previous week, and she spends a lot more than I do!

Fair play if she's able to save money, but the dole or disability shouldn't be high enough for people to be able to save tens of thousands of euro! :eek:

I don't think it should be cut, but it should have more stringent means testing.

In fairness, it sounds like the lump sums your friend is receiving from her mother that are making the difference. I was unfortunate enough to be on the dole for a few months three years ago and after paying rent, bills and feeding yourself, there's precious little left at the end of the week - certainly not enough to save ten grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Pottler wrote: »
    I would. Anyway, why cut the dole? Cut other things first - but no, dolies are easy targets - why go to the bother of actually addressing the huge levels of waste in Public expenditure, just cut the dole. Sure everyone on the dole is a scumbag anyway and deserves to be cut to the bone. I don't actually think that, but a lot do and it is an easy way to apease our foreign rulers.
    While they're at it, they might as well Tax everyone else into extinction, use Revenue to prosecute every small business in the country and slash the Healthservice to the point that we all die anyway. Sorry? Oh yeah, they're already doing that. In a few short years, Ireland will be a total and utter kip-hole - just take a drive around a few Industrial estates, the rots set in and will take decades to reverse.

the imf wants people working......that will stop the country borrowing money off it....

the interest paid on loans could be better spent............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Without reading the thread fully, I'm sure the usual generalisations have alread been doled out (sorry:p), so I'm just going to go on right ahead and say...
    Social welfare benefits are too high in Ireland and need to be revised to encourage people back to work, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has said.

The dole didn't feel too high when I was on it, and struggling to get by, week after week. I once read that if you can't afford a new winter coat or decent shoes, then you're lving below the poverty line. Well, when I was on the social, I could no more afford a new coat than I could a trip to the Moon... the IMF can go fcuk themselves.
    The organisation warned that dole payments are high by international standards and responsible for “low exit rates” from the Live Register.

And the cost of living is very high by international standards, too. Easy to forget that when you're rolling in the bucks yourself, I suppose, like the IMF lads are.

Also, I'd say the lack of jobs is responsible fore the low exit rates from the register. And the government's hare-brained internship scheme which turned many low-skill and entry level jobs into unpaid slavery exercises, instead of paying positions that would actually help people get off the dole.

But sure, it's the dole-recipients fault for that too, I guess.
    As the IMF forecast the economy to grow by just 0.5% this year, it said that certain welfare payments should be means-tested to avoid long-term unemployment.

Ya know what's great for avoiding long-term unemployment? A decent jobs strategy. Not punishing the already-poor for something that's so beyond not being their fault, it's not even funny.
    The organisation – one of three bodies overseeing Ireland’s €85bn bailout – suggested people out of work should be willing to take jobs regardless of suitability.

“It is also important to ensure that jobseekers are willing and able to fill jobs when they become available,” it said.

What the fcuk do they think people are doing already? Are they that out of touch with reality that they actually believe that the MAJORITY of people on the dole turn down a paid job because it's not 'suitable' (whatever that means)?

Seriously, they can fcuk right off with their scape-goating.

Anyone who would like a clue as to what the IMF are really like and what they think of the countries they have in debt-bondage should check out some of John Pilger's documenatries on them. Legitimate loan sharks is all they are.

And I say this as someone whose taxes contribute towards the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Casillas wrote: »
    Eh, encourage people to work where?

Also if the level of payments is too high, why the record emigration?
    What "Record Emigration", current emigration rates are not at a record level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the problem isnt the dole, its the 60 odd other benifit payments that are costing us. for example we can have a girl with a child classes as a single mam yet the father can be claiming the dole also, along with her payments, child benifit and rent allowance etc etc.

means testing is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

During the boom years - cut away!

Have they not realised that the bulk of people (yes, i know there's the 'career dole merchants', but they've been on it long before the recession) on the dole are there because, you know, there are no jobs?

It's not like an extra 10% of the population decided "hey, i've got kids, mortgage, car loans, college repayments, bills, bills and more bills, the dole is a mint amount, i'm gonna quit my job!".

Complete f*ckwits making these decisions. Were probably all born with silver spoons in their mouths anyway.

Couldn't agree more...absolute ****wittery at work here. How are some people still holding onto their 'All Dole recipients are spongers' philosophy? THERE ARE NO JOBS!

My father (who has worked since he was 13) went from being very successful to unemployable in the space of six months when the recession kicked in, Two thirds of my friends are unemployed despite all of them having college degrees from varying backgrounds and it is not a walk in the park trying to survive on the Dole at the moment...

People are far too quick to point out how high the Dole is in comparison to some of our European counterparts. However, what they are failing to grasp is that the cost of living here is also extremely high. It's all relative.

So if there's 445,000 unemployed in Ireland and they say the Social Welfare Bill is €20,000,000,000 then and bear with me here...

€20,000,000,000/445,000 = €45,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Explain, thanks.
    Explaining:
    Jobseekers Benifit
    Jobseekers Allowance
    Disability Allowance
    State Penions )Old Age) , both contributory and non contributory
    Lone Parents Allowance
    Widows Pension
    Child Benifit
    Invalidity Pension
    Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Dependant Persons Maintaince Allowance
    Household Benifit Package
    BTEA
    BTWA
    Etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It would make a lot more sense to stop making it attractive to the under 25s to start breeding. The people I'm talking about are the ones who leave school with few if any qualifications and no jobs. The ones who come from generations of the same bullcrap. The ones who have no interest in providing for their kids by doing an honest days work and who frankly, in a lot of cases only seem to breed to get housed.

There are generations of families in this country making the lifestyle choice to live on benefits and supplement their benefit with the proceeds of crime. Its high time the government goes after the unemployed daddies with 3 plus kids, criminal records and no intention of ever doing an honest days work and yet never seem to have a shortage of cash.

Its time to put an end to housing people just because they get pregnant.

It would make a lot more sense to stop making it attractive to the under 25s to start breeding. The people I'm talking about are the ones who leave school with few if any qualifications and no jobs. The ones who come from generations of the same bullcrap. The ones who have no interest in providing for their kids by doing an honest days work and who frankly, in a lot of cases only seem to breed to get housed.

There are generations of families in this country making the lifestyle choice to live on benefits and supplement their benefit with the proceeds of crime. Its high time the government goes after the unemployed daddies with 3 plus kids, criminal records and no intention of ever doing an honest days work and yet never seem to have a shortage of cash.

Its time to put an end to housing people just because they get pregnant.
    Link to factual evidence for this rant, please
    PS why the one s with 3+ kids why not the ones with 2 or 1?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

el dude wrote: »
    Why does everyone get 'children's allowance'? My brother and his wife get it, they have three kids, but both of them work and are responsible with their money. So it's often the case that they don't touch the CA money until they want to treat themselves to a holiday or weekend away every few months.

I have to say I agree with this. 'Children's Allowance' should be reserved for those that actually need it. Why on earth should I have to pay tax out of my earnings because Maura down the road decided she wanted to have kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

waraf wrote: »
    In fairness, it sounds like the lump sums your friend is receiving from her mother that are making the difference. I was unfortunate enough to be on the dole for a few months three years ago and after paying rent, bills and feeding yourself, there's precious little left at the end of the week - certainly not enough to save ten grand.

I agree that they're helping, yes. That said, she lives at home, pays no rent, no utilities, etc. Going purely on here benefit alone, I know she saved 7,000 minimum from that. She gets it paid into her bank account each week, and in the year since she's taken that 7,000 out of her account, her account now has over 4,000 in it, again from nothing but disability allowance payments. Don't get me wrong, I love my friend and she's the most generous person that I know, but if she has that much money, it should be reflected by giving her lesser social welfare payments. I really don't think somebody with that much cash and absolutely nothing but her social life to spend it on should be receiving so much money.

Oh, she has also never had a job and doesn't want one. She would consider part time work, but not full time, as she would, in the end, ony receive 70 euro more for working 40 hours as opposed to working 20 hours, due to her benefit being taken away if she works 40 hours.

Sorry, but that mindset písses me off. Again, I don't think benefits should be cut, because many people (myself included when I was unemployed) need them and struggle with what little they get, but cases such as that of my friend prove to me that stringent means testing is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

laylah wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with this. 'Children's Allowance' should be reserved for those that actually need it. Why on earth should I have to pay tax out of my earnings because Maura down the road decided she wanted to have kids?

Why should said kids pay when they're older because you decide you want to live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

So if there's 445,000 unemployed in Ireland and they say the Social Welfare Bill is €20,000,000,000 then and bear with me here...

€20,000,000,000/445,000 = €45,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Explain, thanks.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_intro.aspx

Those 445,000 unemployed only make up some of the social welfare bill. Payments are given out for a lot more than being unemployed.

Looking through the list on the link i have to say i didn't realise "Farm assist" was still being paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Link to factual evidence for this rant, please
    PS why the one s with 3+ kids why not the ones with 2 or 1?:confused:

Experience of the behaviour of the 3+ kiddy scumbag families whose parents are under 25. I spent 2 years with a couple of scumbags who now have 5 kids under 6 years of age living in my neighbourhood.

Both of the parents are in their early 20s, don't work, never have and never will work. Their parents and siblings are all unemployed scumbags with criminal records, all are in receipt of Rent Allowance or council housing and all have spawned more fodder for the benefit and housing lists of the future.

Yet these people never seem short of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Casillas wrote: »
    Also if the level of payments is too high, why the record emigration?

well i left because ireland is a fairly awful country in terms of pretty much everything. left a fairly decent job too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ricardo1 wrote: »

Quiet a lot of those jobs are very much high end jobs...I've a college degree and 4 and a half years retail experience and just from the front page I'd not be suitable for any of those jobs. Either because I don't have a second language or have the crazy amount of experience employers are now looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The childrens allowance conditions is ridiculously stupid IMO because it goes up with every child and that may encourage some people to have more children. The first child will always be more expensive because of all the extra equioment that is needed. Then the payment goes up with every child, yet all the major basics should be there from child number one. Changing that will be one area where money can be saved.
    Ireland had a lot of immigration during the past decade and children's allowance is also paid out to immigrates who are parents and in which in some cases, their kids are not living here. IMO childrens allowance should be scrapped and replaced with direct provisions for kids like school books, school uniforms, clothing vouchers.
    the problem isnt the dole, its the 60 odd other benifit payments that are costing us. for example we can have a girl with a child classes as a single mam yet the father can be claiming the dole also, along with her payments, child benifit and rent allowance etc etc.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

... I've worked in the job I began a few weeks ago for the last three years..

That confuses and confounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Completely agree.

A means test for children's allowance was being talked about a few months back. I know a girl from a very well-off family whose parents saved her children's allowance and gave it to her as a birthday present when she was 21. They don't have any need at all.

The idea of an allowance being paid simply for having children is an outdated idea, probably brought in to encourage good churchgoers to breed more for the flock.

Now it's an incentive to have more children, cos more children means more money. I used to work in a busy department store and children's allowance day was the busiest day of the month, but a lot of money was not being spent on children's clothes, but rather on women's clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

el dude wrote: »
    Why does everyone get 'children's allowance'?

Whenever I hear about our high birth rates in Ireland, it's usually described in positive terms. I think it's a long-term desire for as many people to pay our pensions further down the line. If we don't have enough people, the thinking goes, we'd be even more screwed than we are now (probably not the case anymore, given the situation we're in).

A lot of people here are talking about the scroungers, the long-term dole people, from families who have been doing the same for generations. Surely it'd be fairly easy to figure out exactly who these people are? If you're able to work but have no been doing so for the last 10 years, I think you can be safely classed as someone who has no intention of working. I'd bet that there wouldn't be anything like the proportion that some people here are claiming (given our apparent full employment up until quite recently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Like most reports, there are elements of it that make sense and others nonsensical. For instance I support the notion that Child benefit should be means tested; it is absolutely ridiculous that all parents regardless of their income recieve money from the state to take care of their children: for example, why Brian Cowen gets child benefit for his kids in addition to all tax-payer funded financial priviledges he enjoys is beyond me.

With respect to cutting social welfare to the most vulnerable in the society and the IMF's atrocious recommendation that the property tax should be put to a "high level" from next year, words cannot describe the irony from folks that do not pay tax on their own salary. Mr (Dr) Ajai Chopra would probably be on a salary over €200,000 annually, his boss Madame Largarde earns about half a million dollars annually tax free- yet they find it quite convenient to recommend that the poor are even made poorer so that banks can have a breathing space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why don't these pricks go after the protected species professions with as much vigour as those at the bottom of this putrid shit-heap?

Hospital Consultants, overpaid 'civil Servants', GP's and Dentists, Semi State management, PbS bureaucrats, The legal people..

Probably because there is far more to be gained cutting money to welfare recipients than cutting the wages of those actually working and doing something in return for their pay (no matter how ridiculusly high it is) The governments biggest outgoing is social welfare...makes sense to start there when making cuts.

Advertisement