Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mishkalucy wrote: »
    @K-9

TBH I don't think anyone on those payments would go crazy about a 10euro cut, but it's never JUST a 10euro cut is it??

They just keep cutting and cutting at the same people all the time.
    When is enough, enough?

If it was just a straight €10 cut, leave Rent Allowance alone, don't change rules, the sneaky ways they bring Welfare cuts in that never get mentioned, I'd say everybody would put up with it.

When is enough, enough? When we get our Sovereignty back and it doesn't end then. Sovereignty isn't some magic pill that means not borrowing from markets.

Whatever way we do it, the lower and middle classes will get hit, Welfare and tax increases. FG/Labour have promised no Income tax rises or Welfare rate decreases, meaningless pledges, they just get it another way, property and water rates, changes to Welfare rates. Far too much PR spin which ends up in the same result anyway.

You also change the tax rules for the rich, not tax rates. We followed the Canadian example, enforced a law that all incomes above 400k must pay a 20% flat rate of tax. We've already done this, No outcry, no bleating about taxing the rich, a very simple way of restricting tax reliefs. Change the incomes to 150k and the rate to a minimum 30% and everybody is taking the pain.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

enda1 wrote: »
    People emigrate cause the have dignity and self respect and want to work rather than have money handed to them for nothing. That's why there is record emigration and that is where the jobs are - abroad.

And what about the person who's home is in €200k's worth of negative equity? You reckon they should just up and leave? I wish some of you morons would think about things, and stop being so sweeping and cynical about your fellow Irishmen. Pride or dignity are the least of a persons worries when they find themselves at the mercy of the state in terms of income, and at the mercy of the bank in terms of their home. 'Just get a job', or 'move abroad', such ignorant nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

I agree with the IMF. The general Jobseekers allowance/benefit is at an alright level, it could be knocked down a couple of Euro. Lone parents is the one that needs to be hit, such scrapping the extra money for each child you have. Anybody can mess up once, twice is stupid but 3/4/5/6 children on is taking the piss. No extra lone parents payment for anything over 2 children and the stray fathers (who must be declared or the mother gets no payments) will have their maintenance deducted from their pay or social welfare. Rent allowance is too generous as well.

I would also change the social welfare card into a prepaid credit card. No booze, no fags, no gambling.

PS i am currently on the dole

Lone parents only get an extra 29.80 for their child ....... now come on nappy's food clothes etc. do the maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

maximoose wrote: »
    About bloody time.

To you and all those who thanked this post :

if only you had to live off of social welfare you wouldn't be saying that, every last euro counts and that is a fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think we should start with a 30% cut for all political reps and vouched expenses for everyone in the public sector, including TDs and senators.

After that, then we can start looking elsewhere for savings.

Lead by example!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

K-9 wrote: »
    If it was just a straight €10 cut, leave Rent Allowance alone, don't change rules, the sneaky ways they bring Welfare cuts in that never get mentioned, I'd say everybody would put up with it.

When is enough, enough? When we get our Sovereignty back and it doesn't end then. Sovereignty isn't some magic pill that means not borrowing from markets.

Whatever way we do it, the lower and middle classes will get hit, Welfare and tax increases. FG/Labour have promised no Income tax rises or Welfare rate decreases, meaningless pledges, they just get it another way, property and water rates, changes to Welfare rates. Far too much PR spin which ends up in the same result anyway.

You also change the tax rules for the rich, not tax rates. We followed the Canadian example, enforced a law that all incomes above 400k must pay a 20% flat rate of tax. We've already done this, No outcry, no bleating about taxing the rich, a very simple way of restricting tax reliefs. Change the incomes to 150k and the rate to a minimum 30% and everybody is taking the pain.

Agreed.
    The family I posted about are not just struggling but drowning,
    People don't understand the pressure living like this brings.
    They were a working family and contributed to the economy in the good times and now are on the bones of their arse.

I have a friend who is in social work.
    They have told me that the demographic for foster care has dramatically changed over the last 2 years.
    It used to be that children came into care for the usual suspects ie drug/alcohol, neglect, abuse etc.
    Now, it's mental health.
    People can't cope anymore.
    They can't bear the choice between food and heat(as is becoming more and more the case).
    Not to mitigate the circumstances of people who were in the foster system before but when you worked and ALWAYS were able to feed your kids and keep them warm in Winter, it definitely has a greater toll on your mental health.

Incidently, I do a quickpick on the Euromillions every Friday for my friend.
    (Just in case you think I'm very good, I sign her name on the back before I leave the shop in case it wins and I'm tempted lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

@K-9

They just keep cutting and cutting at the same people all the time.
    When is enough, enough?

Started a CE scheme a few months back as I just had to be doing something even though I knew id only be 20 euro a week better off, just desperately wanted to get working again, within a few weeks of starting got a letter from the RA crowd saying my RA had to be reviewed as id started work, the decision I got was my new RA payment would be 60 pw LESS than when I was on the dole. Im a full time single dad of two kids and once my rent is paid im now left with 140 pw for food, bills, car etc, not a hope can I survive, so much for thinking id be a bit better off. ALL these cuts to the poor are a disgrace and if they try and touch me for one more penny I swear i'll rob the nearest tanker full of slurry and drive the feckin thing right through the government building and see how much they like being shat on.

Solair wrote: »
    I think we should start with a 30% cut for all political reps and vouched expenses for everyone in the public sector, including TDs and senators.

After that, then we can start looking elsewhere for savings.

Lead by example!!

FF did cut Ministers payand top Public Servants by 10% back in 08/09 but we've moved on from that. Many senior executives dragged their heels and a good few judges, a minority in fairness, but it required a referendum to change the law last year!

Kenny and President Higgins took a cut but there needs to be far more. A unilateral statement across politicians, top Civil and Public Servants taking a 20% cut.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm amazed people are actually supporting screwing over people who are legitimately struggling to get by, just to make life harder for those who abuse the system.

Instead of screwing over the average family, why not cut the expenses, pay and benefits of those in the Dail who are getting obscene amounts of money and pensions, and also focus on catching those who truly are abusing the system.

I'm on the dole myself at the moment, and trying to support my family, pay bills and rent is causing me insane amounts of stress. I can't emigrate for obvious reasons, going back to Uni is highly unlikely when you take into account the 3-4 years it'd take to get a degree. I honestly don't know how much longer I can take this.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm amazed people are actually supporting screwing over people who are legitimately struggling to get by, just to make life harder for those who abuse the system.

Instead of screwing over the average family, why not cut the expenses, pay and benefits of those in the Dail who are getting obscene amounts of money and pensions, and also focus on catching those who truly are abusing the system.

I'm on the dole myself at the moment, and trying to support my family, pay bills and rent is causing me insane amounts of stress. I can't emigrate for obvious reasons, going back to Uni is highly unlikely when you take into account the 3-4 years it'd take to get a degree. I honestly don't know how much longer I can take this.

The reason is this:

It's fun to be on the dole!!
    It's free money for doing sfa.

Didn't you know this?
    Where have you been?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

FF did cut Ministers payand top Public Servants by 10% back in 08/09 but we've moved on from that. Many senior executives dragged their heels and a good few judges, a minority in fairness, but it required a referendum to change the law last year!

Kenny and President Higgins took a cut but there needs to be far more. A unilateral statement across politicians, top Civil and Public Servants taking a 20% cut.

They really need a big dose of reality. They remind me of bankers clinging into their bonuses while their institutions were driven into a brick wall and required bail outs. Then slashing staff wages and closing branches.
    Ireland is broke, political leaders need pay to reflect that situation!

Agreed.
    The family I posted about are not just struggling but drowning,
    People don't understand the pressure living like this brings.
    They were a working family and contributed to the economy in the good times and now are on the bones of their arse.

I have a friend who is in social work.
    They have told me that the demographic for foster care has dramatically changed over the last 2 years.
    It used to be that children came into care for the usual suspects ie drug/alcohol, neglect, abuse etc.
    Now, it's mental health.
    People can't cope anymore.
    They can't bear the choice between food and heat(as is becoming more and more the case).
    Not to mitigate the circumstances of people who were in the foster system before but when you worked and ALWAYS were able to feed your kids and keep them warm in Winter, it definitely has a greater toll on your mental health.

Incidently, I do a quickpick on the Euromillions every Friday for my friend.
    (Just in case you think I'm very good, I sign her name on the back before I leave the shop in case it wins and I'm tempted lol)

It's very important to highlight issues like that. Over in politics we tend not to see these stories, we concentrate on overall figures, and yes, we are actually doing quite well economically considering the huge cuts to Welfare, pay and services we've implemented, and the tax increase side.

People should never forget the social side. When people say "cut, cut, cut", this is why so many are opposed to that, never mind the economic cost of doing that.

It has a become a zero sum game, like the North in the 80's. If something effects or has an advantage on one side, then we must get something for the other side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it needs to be cut badly, but people have become accustomed to it being at the high level it is, hopefully its dropped in stages and cost of living should drop accordingly.

It's very important to highlight issues like that. Over in politics we tend not to see these stories, we concentrate on overall figures, and yes, we are actually doing quite well economically considering the huge cuts to Welfare, pay and services we've implemented, and the tax increase side.

People should never forget the social side. When people say "cut, cut, cut", this is why so many are opposed to that, never mind the economic cost of doing that.

It has a become a zero sum game, like the North in the 80's. If something effects or has an advantage on one side, then we must get something for the other side.

My social work friend is very discreet(as are the requirements for that job) but what they do tell me would shock the socks off anyone.
    I genuinely think that people in this country have no idea of what real poverty exists in this country, and what poverty does.

Maybe they just sleep better at night not knowing(doesn't make it go away though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

many have posted about how much more they get in ireland.........

yet, many post of how they are on the breadline.....

that must mean, in every other country people on social must be starving......

something does not add up......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

And so it goes..
    This is simply part of the process; actually surprised it took them this long to 'comment on'/ultimately 'dictate' government policy in this regard, the whole charade has taken so long to click into gear.
    These cuts were always coming and this 'advice' from the IMF will soon be ramped up into a 'soft, 'dictact' from the 'troika' that our 'government'/their and the banking overlords representatives, will hide behind; 'we have to do this, it's been ordained by the 'troika..etc'.
    Of course there is some sense in what will be proposed and some of it should've been done long ago.
    But that's beside the point and the sensible cuts will merely be used as a stalking horse for the ultimate agenda; savage cuts in every sector for no other reason than to pay off the bank debt/gamblers losses we've been saddled with.
    The funny thing is that representatives of the 'private-sector' and 'small-firms' will, no doubt, react positively to this; they don't seem to realise that this is simply contributing to the drain of any kind of spending power from our economy and has absolutely nothing to do with fostering an environment in which small businesses can thrive; it's about nothing else than paying off the debt of those bankers/bondholders who made losing bets that they should be responsible for, and the further drain of spending power that will leave this country as a result of this will soon be putting even more small business concerns out of business and will further contribute to the soon to be out control downward-spiral of unemployment and the ultimate collpase of our economy.

My social work friend is very discreet(as are the requirements for that job) but what they do tell me would shock the socks off anyone.
    I genuinely think that people in this country have no idea of what real poverty exists in this country, and what poverty does.

Maybe they just sleep better at night not knowing(doesn't make it go away though)

I knew a Social Worker from 5/6 years ago and yep, their stories would shock you. My sister had a best friend who was one 20 years ago and she left, couldn't cope with it in the evenings, when left to her thoughts at home.

I've no doubt cases are on the increase though.

I posted a faithful account of income and outgoings of a family on SW.
    You are right.

The figures don't add up.
    The always go without something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I love reading Terry Mc Geehan in The Star. Someone should send a copy of all his articles to... well basically everyone in IMF, EU, ECB and every acronym that has a say in our Finances, as he always exposes the excesses of expenses and payments our policitians get.

Although I think these fúckers will stick together as why would an EU policitian rock the boat of a fellow policitian, he may not get as much but in his country his salary is substantial.

But if Choppy Chopra want to see where cuts should be made, it's not on those on €101 per week its HERE or just type Irish Ministers pensions into Google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

People need to get their calculators out and work out how much cutting the social welfare will save compared to TD's wages and expenses.

• Advertisement

I posted a faithful account of income and outgoings of a family on SW.
    You are right.

The figures don't add up.
    The always go without something.

it is not alway wise to compare country to country....or even area to area.....and everybody has different circumstances.....

i live in the uk....i get a state pension.....not a works pension...i worked in the construction industry all my life., and never joined a pension scheme......

my pension is £i,170....per month......

The shortsighted-ness of these goobies in "power" never ceases to amaze me.

Cut the lower end of society, push them further into the abyss, what happens?

Social costs go up.

Prisons, mental health, foster care, GP's, Gardai, people losing their homes etc etc.

Less money in the economy(contrary to popular belief people on SW are NOT taking foreign holidays and spending the money abroad. They spend it here on day-to-day necessities)

Just on a final note on that, many of the cases of children that are in care would shock a few posters on this thread. Not your stereotypical welfare mum, 4 kids from 4 fathers, far from it. You'll least suspect the perfect, upstanding family, good Catholic/Presbyterian, Community involved family next door.

it is not alway wise to compare country to country....or even area to area.....and everybody has different circumstances.....

i live in the uk....i get a state pension.....not a works pension...i worked in the construction industry all my life., and never joined a pension scheme......

my pension is £i,170....per month......

I didn't mention other countries or compare their rates, you did that!

The amount you mention is not clear^^^^.

Also, come on, you live in the UK.
    You know the cost of living is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper.
    My friends in the UK were horrified to hear how much we pay for electric and heating, not to mention food.

Oh and road tax, insurance etc
    The list is long

Just on a final note on that, many of the cases of children that are in care would shock a few posters on this thread. Not your stereotypical welfare mum, 4 kids from 4 fathers, far from it. You'll least suspect the perfect, upstanding family, good Catholic/Presbyterian, Community involved family next door.

I can tell you this much K-9..
    My friend had a recent-ish case that would break any heart(cost the SW months of lost sleep and a stone and a bit in weight).

These people weren't from "the flats".

Just another broken family on the government scrapheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

Plazaman wrote: »
    I love reading Terry Mc Geehan in The Star. Someone should send a copy of all his articles to... well basically everyone in IMF, EU, ECB and every acronym that has a say in our Finances, as he always exposes the excesses of expenses and payments our policitians get.

Although I think these fúckers will stick together as why would an EU policitian rock the boat of a fellow policitian, he may not get as much but in his country his salary is substantial.

But if Choppy Chopra want to see where cuts should be made, it's not on those on €101 per week its HERE or just type Irish Ministers pensions into Google

:eek: jeez those pensions are shocking. Is it true that a TD is entitled to a pension for life even if they only get elected to the dail once or is that a load of rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

This is Ireland now owned by Europe. WE no longer call the shots so IMF and others will be coming out with more cuts and ideas like that over the near future.
    TD's and Ministers not bothered because all their wages and pensions are protected under their contracts and fully protected by law bit like the law itself judges can't be touched either.

Really feel bad for the honest person that worked and through no fault of their own their job ceased. I really hope these will be helped and get the free loaders split from this category.

Nothing in life is free so why is the dole ?
    For those not willing to change(work)

I didn't mention other countries or compare their rates, you did that!

The amount you mention is not clear^^^^.

Also, come on, you live in the UK.
    You know the cost of living is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper.
    My friends in the UK were horrified to hear how much we pay for electric and heating, not to mention food.

Oh and road tax, insurance etc
    The list is long

sorry if i implied you did......others have.mentioned it.....

yes, i am sure there are differences everywhere........

but i am surprised to hear of people....starving, i would be amazed if that was true....
    people spend in vastly different ways.....where as i can save £100 a week....others would complain that it was not nearly enough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

I have been more or less unemployed for 14 months now. I have a degree and a masters degree. I was working full time between 2007 and 2011 in a public service position but because I wasnt permanent, I was let go when the budget was slashed in this particular department. I was never paid a great deal when working... approx 390 euro per week after stoppages for a 39 hour week... barely above minimum wage, so obviously wasnt in a position to save a great deal over those 4 years.

I am on the dole, sometimes I pick up some casual surveying work for a few days, always inform welfare, but there are no jobs in the environmental sector in Ireland today. "Emigrate" I hear people say... including a guy in Fás... fine I intend to but hold on where do I get the money to do so? I havent much savings left, my two brothers who worked in construction are both unemployed... so this almost blase attitude that some people have (generally those in secure well paid jobs)towards emigration is very unfair.

I am very fortunate in one sense however, despite some people's notions towards me that there was something wrong with me because I never bought my own house during the boom, I am so relieved I didnt. I see those same folk trapped in negative equity and often unemployment and their lives are miserable. I am trying to get to UK and once I sell the car I will be gone. And will I return to work and live here again?... not if I can help it. This country is finished and if the IMF keep insisting on even more austerity, it will never recover.

sorry if i implied you did......others have.mentioned it.....

yes, i am sure there are differences everywhere........

but i am surprised to hear of people....starving, i would be amazed if that was true....
    people spend in vastly different ways.....where as i can save £100 a week....others would complain that it was not nearly enough....

Look, it's not Ethiopia, the people are not starving in that sense.

No-one on SW here is saving a cent lol

But trust me, things are dire.

• Advertisement

Earlier this year the media reported that Household benefits would be hit in this years budget, didn't hear any mention of it on the news today but lo and behold a little visit to the imf site and i found this :

9. Comprehensive targeting of spending is needed to deliver immediate reductions combined with reforms to underpin savings in the medium term. Maintaining expensive universal supports and subsidies is difficult to justify under present budgetary circumstances.Better targeting of the child benefit, medical card spending, the household benefits package and the expenditure on non-means tested pensions can generate significant savings while protecting the poor. The Croke Park Agreement has facilitated personnel reductions and efficiency savings, and has helped maintain the industrial peace needed to achieve broader reform goals. Continued monitoring of the adequacy of savings in the net pay and pensions bill, and of public service provision, is necessary. Deeper reforms in health and higher education are needed to identify service priorities and deliver them efficiently.

http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2012/071812.htm

I guess politician's wages are safe for another year then!

People who are complaining about austerity an the IMF would want to brush up on what would have happened if they and the EU didn't give us a loan.

Look, it's not Ethiopia, the people are not starving in that sense.

No-one on SW here is saving a cent lol

But trust me, things are dire.

i bhave no doubt some are having it hard.....but i've got a sneaky feeling......many, many more are having a ball......

exactly the same as the uk........

People who are complaining about austerity an the IMF would want to brush up on what would have happened if they and the EU didn't give us a loan.

There's a difference between a loan and screwing the lifeblood out of a people on its knees, ie the citizens of that country.

At this rate we could have gotten a better deal if we went to "Wonga.com" for a loan.
    They only charge 4127% apr;)

And we'd still have sovereignty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

If they do this, I'll have to claim some sort of insanity benefit or something just to make ends meet.

There's a difference between a loan and screwing the lifeblood out of a people on its knees, ie the citizens of that country.

At this rate we could have gotten a better deal if we went to "Wonga.com" for a loan.

So they should just give us continuous loans forever and never expect us to balance our books?

i bhave no doubt some are having it hard.....but i've got a sneaky feeling......many, many more are having a ball......

exactly the same as the uk........

Ok Golden, I'm gonna put this to you;)

The people you talk about having a ball on the dole in the UK??

Drinking?
    Smoking?
    Maybe drug use?
    ****ty kept house?
    Kids running amok ruining the estate or place where they live?
    Foul-mouthed?
    Uneducated?

You don't think poverty has some responsibility for some of this?
    Who picks up the tab(and there is always a tab ie social services, police, courts, A&E, schools, council etc)?

Poverty and social exclusive ALWAYS ends up costing more in the long run.

I can tell you this much K-9..
    My friend had a recent-ish case that would break any heart(cost the SW months of lost sleep and a stone and a bit in weight).

These people weren't from "the flats".

Just another broken family on the government scrapheap

I don't doubt you there at all. I'd say a few on this thread would be shocked at children who are in "care" in their community, put it this way, I wouldn't be looking at Welfare as a starting point!

You do know the Euro members are lending to us at a lower rate than the IMF (The US etc.), the UK loan, and loans from a couple of other countries?

So they should just give us continuous loans forever and never expect us to balance our books?

No.

They should go after the people, the minority I may add, who put us in this position.
    Check out a few "alzheimers accounts", shake a few trees with golden apples on them.
    Hit the well paid, not the poor and desperate. Not the people who never had a hand in making any of the decisions who brought this country to its knees.

Not the people who bought homes and paid taxes and gave people employment in doing so.
    Not the people who paid tax while working and are now social outcasts.
    I get the feeling you know all of this already.

• Advertisement

Ok Golden, I'm gonna put this to you;)

The people you talk about having a ball on the dole in the UK??

Drinking?
    Smoking?
    Maybe drug use?
    ****ty kept house?
    Kids running amok ruining the estate or place where they live?
    Foul-mouthed?
    Uneducated?

You don't think poverty has some responsibility for some of this?
    Who picks up the tab(and there is always a tab ie social services, police, courts, A&E, schools, council etc)?

Poverty and social exclusive ALWAYS ends up costing more in the long run.

as i have no direct contact with people like that......i would be reluctant to comment.....

i have lived most of my time in the uk...in a village enviroment.....

families who have no adults working....or never have worked....live just as good a life, as ordinary people with both parents working....

as for my own daughter.....an unmarried mother with one child.....she has worked all her life..she works five and hours a day.....gets £24,000 a year....

but if she was on social.........she would be £18 a week better off....

I don't doubt you there at all. I'd say a few on this thread would be shocked at children who are in "care" in their community, put it this way, I wouldn't be looking at Welfare as a starting point!

You do know the Euro members are lending to us at a lower rate than the IMF (The US etc.), the UK loan, and loans from a couple of other countries?

I'm afraid that my knowledge is less that yours in this department so will bow to you on that;)

I get the basics of the money men but tbh have tuned out over the last while because everyone got so fixated on IMF's, EMF's, ECB's and all that jazz, all the while people, real people not soundbytes were with their backs to the wall

No.

They should go after the people, the minority I may add, who put us in this position.
    Check out a few "alzheimers accounts", shake a few trees with golden apples on them.
    Hit the well paid, not the poor and desperate. Not the people who never had a hand in making any of the decisions who brought this country to its knees.

Not the people who bought homes and paid taxes and gave people employment in doing so.
    Not the people who paid tax while working and are now social outcasts.
    I get the feeling you know all of this already.

What miniority? The people who put us in the position are the large numbers of the Irish electorate who voted for FF, PD's who promised to give away as much money as possible. The people who bought are very much to blame, they are the ones who created the demand for property an in turn created a massive unsustainable property bubble. I get the feeling you don't really know the details about why we find ourselves in the situation we are in(hint: it's not the bankers)

as i have no direct contact with people like that......i would be reluctant to comment.....

i have lived most of my time in the uk...in a village enviroment.....

families who have no adults working....or never have worked....live just as good a life, as ordinary people with both parents working....

as for my own daughter.....an unmarried mother with one child.....she has worked all her life..she works five and hours a day.....gets £24,000 a year....

but if she was on social.........she would be £18 a week better off....

So our daughter would be on £24,936 on the social?

Not here buddy!!

Single mother, one child gets 11,325.60 PA here.

What miniority? The people who put us in the position are the large numbers of the Irish electorate who voted for FF, PD's who promised to give away as much money as possible. The people who bought are very much to blame, they are the ones who created the demand for property an in turn created a massive unsustainable property bubble. I get the feeling you don't really know the details about why we find ourselves in the situation we are in(hint: it's not the bankers)

You are correct I don't know a thing about it.
    Who is responsible?

Thanks for the hint btw
    We can now rule out the bankers

Wait, didn't we borrow a shed load of money to bail them out???
    Maybe you will educate me

You are correct I don't know a thing about it.
    Who is responsible?

Thanks for the hint btw
    We can now rule out the bankers

As I said, the Irish people who voted FF. The people who bought houses for stupid money didn't help the cause either. No we borrowed a shedload of money to pay for our deficit because we are spending far more money then we are making in tax. Part of that shed load goes to the banks but the majority is on the deficit.

• Advertisement

So our daughter would be on £24,936 on the social?

Not here buddy!!

Single mother, one child gets 11,325.60 PA here.

that figure includes rent ....school meals, uniforms etc etc......not sure of all the details.....as she works in accounts for a company....there are times when she is busy...and time when she is not....so she checks on what would be available to her.....just in case.....

she does ok, working...buying her own house (which i have helped with a large deposit)...so she wont go on social if she can help it....

As I said, the Irish people who voted FF. The people who bought houses for stupid money didn't help the cause either.

With money the got from "the banks"?
    That they pay interest on?

With builders, electricians, plumbers, plasters, drapers, carpenters, scafollders, tilers, not to mention all of the suppliers, shops(ie kitchen maufacturers, flooring, carpets, fireplaces) etc that they kept in business hence putting money in state coffers from tax, revenue etc

Those people who bought houses really sunk our ship.

Bloody crims the lot of them

People need to get their calculators out and work out how much cutting the social welfare will save compared to TD's wages and expenses.

If, or should i say when they cut SW they should also cut TD's wages and expenses. It shouldn't be a case of one or the other. People can accept cuts a bit easier when they see that they are fair.

that figure includes rent ....school meals, uniforms etc etc......not sure of all the details.....as she works in accounts for a company....there are times when she is busy...and time when she is not....so she checks on what would be available to her.....just in case.....

she does ok, working...buying her own house (which i have helped with a large deposit)...so she wont go on social if she can help it....

Good for her and its great that she has support from you!
    Very important and can make or break a single mum.

[/B]

With money the got from "the banks"?
    That they pay interest on?

With builders, electricians, plumbers, plasters, drapers, carpenters, scafollders, tilers, not to mention all of the suppliers, shops(ie kitchen maufacturers, flooring, carpets, fireplaces) etc that they kept in business hence putting money in state coffers from tax, revenue etc

Those people who bought houses really sunk our ship.

Bloody crims the lot of them

They prefer much did. Hence why it's called a property bubble - because it will burst.

• Advertisement
Advertisement