Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm on a jobbridge internship at the moment. Let me tell you, its preferable to being on the dole. You're gaining experience and can put down on your CV that you're currently working, a huge plus to signing on every week.

Sorry to burst your bubble, it's a scheme, not a job. You're supposed to be looking for a JOB (as per the instructions). It's just a joke to get you off the unemployment list. Don't take that wrong way or anything. It's nice you enjoy it.
    puffishoes wrote: »
    A good employer will hire someone who shows a bit of grit a bit of determination a bit of get up and go quicker than someone who's sat on their arse for x amount of years.

stop making excuses you're like a 5yr old child not wanting to go to school.

That's nice but I really don't care, TBH. I know you think I'm worthless/scum/scrounger/etc.

I don't care. I'm following the rules and if you want me to start working, you better fúcking pay me. But you'll end up just flinging around more insults because I don't live up to YOUR standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

all the money to pay for the dole.........has to be borrowed, when is it going to be payed back.....?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Terenure Takeaway (i.e. Dino's) are looking for staff...I saw a sign in their window yesterday.

No doubt they'll only get applications from non nationals 'cause the lazy Irish see such roles as beneath them.

Why isn't every Dublin based unemployed person applying to Dino's? The IMF are dead right...whether you're an unemployed butcher, baker or candlestick maker, you should be applying or those jobs in Dino's.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Won't work. I know plenty of lads who got forced into courses and just use the "can't make it in, too sick".

Sick notes, doctors, follow ups from the welfare and so on make it too easy to sit on your arse all day.
    All this needs to be fixed, but it has to be done one at a time! If it worked for 25% of the people on the dole it would be doing a great service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Government spending it €500m over budget so far this year. Something has to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

bluewolf wrote: »
    loads of notices in pub and cafe windows in town looking for people

Loads? How many is Loads? A handful? There are 434,800 on the live register and 26 unemployed people for every job vacancy. Under the circumstances claiming that some help wanted signs up around town is meaningful in anyway is spurious really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I've seen a lot of posters saying that there are no jobs out there.

Well I live in Dublin so i can only speak for Dublin but if there are no jobs out there can someone please explain why so many Non EU Nationals (There are thousands here working in Dublin) who are here on Student Visa's have managed to get employment?

Its because they are willing to do the jobs that many Irish people who are on the dole are still unwilling to do.

Im sure the IMF see this and this is why they are rightfully making these comments.

The problem here is that some see the dole as their god given right and if the dole is only slightly less then say a job working in a hotel then they will take the easy option and refuse to work.

Yes i know that this is not the case for everyone, but it is the case for a proportion of people on the dole.

If the Dole were means tested, and reduced in many cases where it should be reduced this would 'push' thse people to accept these jobs that are out there right now and get them off the dole and make more money available to our Government to spend on more needed outlays.

The dole is not there as a a second option to working, its there to support you for a while, while you look for work (any work) and this is something that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Terenure Takeaway (i.e. Dino's) are looking for staff...I saw a sign in their window yesterday.

No doubt they'll only get applications from non nationals 'cause the lazy Irish see such roles as beneath them.

Why isn't every Dublin based unemployed person applying to Dino's? The IMF are dead right...whether you're an unemployed butcher, baker or candlestick maker, you should be applying or those jobs in Dino's.

and what about those who arent from Dublin?

How do you know no Irsh will apply or are you just generalizing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Jarren tell me youre being sarcastic ffs.. there not jobs they took jobs,they nullified what could have been paying jobs advertised..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

EchoO wrote: »
    Loads? How many is Loads? A handful? There are 434,800 on the live register and 26 unemployed people for every job vacancy. Under the circumstances claiming that some help wanted signs up around town is meaningful in anyway is spurious really.

keep throwing out this number is pointless.

There is 400k+ unemployed.

The vast majority from a sector who have skills we mostly do not require anymore.

so there's not 26 people going for every job. we're creating on average 1k jobs a week. A lot of these jobs are skilled and a large portion of the 400k+ do not have these skills. so people need to upskill.

but i bet you there's not 26 people from the 400k throwing there CV into the take away in terenure.

from aprox 100 employed over the last month we've brought 90% or so from outside of ireland because the skills were not there.

we didn't have 26 people for every job applying. 26 cv's per opening would be a dreamland.

so stop with the numbers they don't give a clear picture of the situation.

Jarren wrote: »
    9 jobs advertised on Fas.ie at 11 30 am

Sorry but why would anyoe who's unemployed be looking on the FAS website. Seriously just look at the listings here: http://www.jobs.ie/

One question about that takeaway: does it include transportation free of charge home at 2AM or do I need to taxi it back?
    smash wrote: »
    Sorry but why would anyoe who's unemployed be looking on the FAS website. Seriously just look at the listings here: http://www.jobs.ie/

Ugh, most of that site is a fúck up. Dublin City Centre includes Londo according to that place.

Besides, the majority of jobs there really are the door-to-door "jobs" that are soley based on comission.

• Advertisement

One question about that takeaway: does it include transportation free of charge home at 2AM or do I need to taxi it back?

Ugh, most of that site is a fúck up. Dublin City Centre includes Londo according to that place.

Besides, the majority of jobs there really are the door-to-door "jobs" that are soley based on comission.

you could cycle..

there's over 5k jobs on fas.

that's the 9 most recent ones. no wonder people can't find a job they can't browse a webpage ffs. where's our knowledgeable economy gone.

So do you feel I should have to move down to say... Galway form Dublin if it gets me a job?
    you could cycle..
    Cycle around the city centre at 2AM?

Yeah, what's next: walk through Compton shouting racial slurs?

CucaFace wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of posters saying that there are no jobs out there.

Well I live in Dublin so i can only speak for Dublin but if there are no jobs out there can someone please explain why so many Non EU Nationals (There are thousands here working in Dublin) who are here on Student Visa's have managed to get employment?

Are you sure they are all in full time paying jobs and not internships or even if those jobs are at least minimal wage?
    Im sure the IMF see this and this is why they are rightfully making these comments.

The problem here is that some see the dole as their god given right and if the dole is only slightly less then say a job working in a hotel then they will take the easy option and refuse to work.

Is this a generalization comment? If the standerd of living was dropped then the dole could be dropped and people would apply for those jobs (You forget if a person has a child they will need to be able to afford childcare to take up this job
    Yes i know that this is not the case for everyone, but it is the case for a proportion of people on the dole.

A very small proportion in comparison to those on the dole

If the Dole were means tested, and reduced in many cases where it should be reduced this would 'push' thse people to accept these jobs that are out there right now and get them off the dole and make more money available to our Government to spend on more needed outlays.

The dole is not there as a a second option to working, its there to support you for a while, while you look for work (any work) and this is something that needs to be addressed.

Again the cost of living must go down if the dole s to be reduced otherwise you are just increasing the poverty line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

so stop with the numbers they don't give a clear picture of the situation.

I'll post anyway I choose to. If you don't like it put me on ignore - I won't be offended.:)

So do you feel I should have to move down to say... Galway form Dublin if it gets me a job?

Cycle around the city centre at 2AM?

Yeah, what's next: walk through Compton shouting racial slurs?

yes, dublin city is one of the safest cities in the world.

What's wrong with cycling through the city?

i don't think i've ever seen a list of excuses as long as yours.

there's a business idea.

• Advertisement

No they're not!

?

people have moved to australia for one. A colleague of mine just moved to cork from dublin for one.

why are you so special?

cut the dole,cut peoples salaries,cut hospital services whereby a girl who was 19 in a car crash with internal bleeding died on a 2 hour ambulance ride bc the hospital in roscommon near her was cut..

cut everyone but those in the dail..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If you go onto Retail - Other and Cork, a lot of those jobs have been constantly re-listed for well over a month now.

I've personally applied for all the ones that don't require another language, some set Degree (business etc), or a car and each time I've called up the company to follow up I've been told something like "The position has been filled" or "We'll get back to you soon."

cut the dole,cut peoples salaries,cut hospital services whereby a girl who was 19 in a car crash with internal bleeding died on a 2 hour ambulance ride bc the hospital in roscommon near her was cut..

Maybe they would have had more money to spend on Health Care isf they didnt have such a huge Social Welfare bill to pay????

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

How many people have gained employment or got a interview through FAS? How many of the jobs are gone?
    The site is a joke, we loaded an add on Monday and it went up live on a Friday! Guess what? Yep the job had already been filled.
    They would be better off closing Fas and using the money elsewhere!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've personally applied for all the ones that don't require another language, some set Degree (business etc), or a car and each time I've called up the company to follow up I've been told something like "The position has been filled" or "We'll get back to you soon."

Maybe it's time to meet with a few recruitment agencies and get your CV re-written by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I called in to my mother today,who was listing to the radio today seemly they where saying they be looking for 40% cut in all welfare payments and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it seemly it is part of the deal with the imf e.u bailout ,it will probably be done over two years in the budget and Europe have the last say on that because our desafite is to high

Maybe they would have had more money to spend on Health Care isf they didnt have such a huge Social Welfare bill to pay????

Again you could volunteer to pay 100% tax if you feel that strongly

I called in to my mother today,who was listing to the radio today seemly they where saying they be looking for 40% cut in all welfare payments and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it seemly it is part of the deal with the imf e.u bailout ,it will probably be done over two years in the budget and Europe have the last say on that because our desafite is to high

what i dont understand is why they dont chase the big bucks,i mean politicains in the dail,ceos of charities and the like,and consultants in hospitals private and public..

what they will get from the dole is smallfry,and how are people on the dole meant to exist on what?
    the price of produce and services is still at celtic tiger prices,how are people supposed to live exaclty pay their rent and that?

if this government made me homeless bc i couldnt afford the rent due to cuts,i would sue the ASS off them!

• Advertisement

Dublin, safe?

I think I've heard it all now.

Sin City wrote: »
    Are you sure they are all in full time paying jobs and not internships or even if those jobs are at least minimal wage?

Is this a generalization comment? If the standerd of living was dropped then the dole could be dropped and people would apply for those jobs (You forget if a person has a child they will need to be able to afford childcare to take up this job

A very small proportion in comparison to those on the dole

Again the cost of living must go down if the dole s to be reduced otherwise you are just increasing the poverty line

Yes a lot have full time jobs in bars and hotels. And those who don't work part time in a few jobs. Thats also an option.

And sorry the standard of living and costs here really should not count. This is my point really. The dole should not be an option of working or not.
    It should only be there as a safety net to help you out for a while.

Tough luck if the jobs you can get get don't leave with a high or equal standard of life as being on the dole, if there are jobs there that you can get, you should be taking them.

This is the whole problem.

And I would guess there is enough people with this mindset that if they were forced off the live register it would make an impact on our finances here. The IMF are not idiots, they have done the maths Im sure.

ZX7R wrote: »

No government in power will cut the social welfare bill by 40 % its political suicide

what i dont understand is why they dont chase the big bucks,i mean politicains in the dail,
    I agree with this.
    ceos of charities and the like,
    What do you mean by "and the like"? These are private organisations.
    and consultants in hospitals private and public..
    Do you want us to have any doctors left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Maybe it's time to meet with a few recruitment agencies and get your CV re-written by a professional.

My C.V. was redone just two weeks ago and if I'm honest, it's looking great.

I've got some 3 years as an Assistant Manager spread between a restaurant and a video store. I led a sales team for a further 2 years in a Cold sales business, so I do have the experience.

Quite a lot of the sales jobs going are the purely commission based door-to-door deals, I know them when I see them, because I worked in it for so long.
    It's an incredibly unreliable business to be a part of and can easily spend more on travel in a day than you will make in profit.

edit:
    I'm not trying to make excuses for being on the dole, in fact with my current income and outgoings I am far from comfortable getting €188 per week.
    But the simple fact is that with so many unemployed looking for a jobs in a somewhat small city like Cork, it can be incredibly hard to find work, especially if the companies aren't actually hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Sorry to burst your bubble, it's a scheme, not a job. You're supposed to be looking for a JOB (as per the instructions). It's just a joke to get you off the unemployment list. Don't take that wrong way or anything. It's nice you enjoy it.

Thanks, i am enjoying inasmuch as i have something to do. I did mean to say that you are encouraged to pursue employment while on the scheme (which i am). And yes you can say to your potential employer that i am working at such-and-such at the moment, and here are the skills i am learning, jobbridge or not.

I'm aware its a ploy to take you off the live register, but, as i said before, its better than doing nothing.

I think we both made valid points sir :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

so, there are posts saying that ireland has one ofbthe highest paying dole systems in the world.........and others say people are starving.....???

And sorry the standard of living and costs here really should not count. This is my point really. The dole should not be an option of working or not.

First you say the standard of living costs should not count,what planet are you on,you need to be able to afford the costs to merley survive,and do you honestly think that the dole is an OPTION for working or not working?

Thanks, i am enjoying inasmuch as i have something to do. I did mean to say that you are encouraged to pursue employment while on the scheme (which i am). And yes you can say to your potential employer that i am working at such-and-such at the moment, and here are the skills i am learning, jobbridge or not.

I'm aware its a ploy to take you off the live register, but, as i said before, its better than doing nothing.

I think we both made valid points sir :)

In fairness, I assume you're doing something useful (well I hope :) and not something in a shop somewhere). Good luck though :)

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    My C.V. was redone just two weeks ago and if I'm honest, it's looking great.

I've got some 3 years as an Assistant Manager spread between a restaurant and a video store. I led a sales team for a further 2 years in a Cold sales business, so I do have the experience.

Try these guys http://www.rigneydolphin.ie/

so, there are posts saying that ireland has one ofbthe highest paying dole systems in the world.........and others say people are starving.....???

Bit of both and a lot, a lot of ignorance on both sides.

When people say the dole, the usually assume (wrongfully) that things like medical cards, rent allowance, fuel allowance, etc are all included. Which of course is a load of codswhallop.

Sin City wrote: »
    Again you could volunteer to pay 100% tax if you feel that strongly

I pay enough taxes as it is for many scrongers to sit on their arses rather than go and out and work.

You are showing your stupidy with a comment like that.

So you honestly can't understand the link between having less to spend on health care because of increases in Govt spending on Social welfafe??

ceos of charities and the like,
    What do you mean by "and the like"? These are private organisations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christmas2012 View Post
    and consultants in hospitals private and public..
    Do you want us to have any doctors left?

What i mean is that ceos that are overpaid,and do **** all,and consultants on golf trips during a work week driving jags should take a pay cut,due to the fact there never there in hospitals,look,my dad went into a & e recently and said there were NO consultants what so ever ..its the docs that do all the donkey work..

What i mean is that ceos that are overpaid,and do **** all,and consultants on golf trips during a work week driving jags should take a pay cut,due to the fact there never there in hospitals,look,my dad went into a & e recently and said there were NO consultants what so ever ..its the docs that do all the donkey work..

In fairness, most of A&E is taken up by junkies and accidents from drink. :(

It should only be there as a safety net to help you out for a while.

Are you serious?n The standard if living shouldnt really count?
    Id bet you would prefer people to be homeless and starve rather than you to pay a bit of tax to help out.

Yes it should be a saftey net for a while , but during a recession that isnt going to be the case

Tough luck if the jobs you can get get don't leave with a high or equal standard of life as being on the dole, if there are jobs there that you can get, you should be taking them.

High standard of living on the dole? seriously? Have you ever tried to survive soley on the dole? I think you would change your mind if you had to
    This is the whole problem.

And I would guess there is enough people with this mindset that if they were forced off the live register it would make an impact on our finances here. The IMF are not idiots, they have done the maths Im sure.

The IMF want their money back
    They couldnt give a fcuk about us

• Advertisement

didn't the ambulance drivers drive the wrong way? which is what caused the two hour drive on bad roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

In fairness, I assume you're doing something useful (well I hope :) and not something in a shop somewhere). Good luck though :)

Its not retail, no. Its fairly useful i think. And thanks

Its not retail, no. Its fairly useful i think. And thanks

Ah well than, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Good for you, you saved up! But didn't you want to cut the dole to force people out into non-existent jobs?

Okay so from "cut the dole" to "I saved up" back to "it's your own fault".

How does one manage to get the money to go abroad and live if... they don't have money?

Do you know how much I would love to move the fúck outta my family home? But lacking the money to do that, I can't. Then again I can just piss off for a few years, get experience and return and work hard to support the country.
    Mind giving me some tips on how to save up when I get enough to barely make ends meet? I'm sure with oh... 15-20 euro a week I can easily save up just like you did! Unless they cut the dole like you want

But hey, that's MY fault the rent rates are too high, the cost of living is too high. Gosh, everything is my fault. Pity I was stupid enough to be born living here when the government decides to fúck us over.

Well I'll be sure to preach your wisdom of "you're responsible for the fúck ups, you're at fault for lack of jobs, you're at fault for being on the dole, we should cut your dole and make you work imaginary jobs and then you can leave the country".

Edit: You know the worst part? I'm not even complaining. I'm just telling it is like it is. I don't complain and bitch and moan that I can't afford new clothes or a good social life. I don't care that I can't afford certain things.

Do you know why I don't care? Because I'm not a complainer. Yes, had I have been lucky and gotten a great job (or be born at a better time) I wouldn't look down on people because I know how quickly your life can change at the drop of a hat.

God help you is all I can say.
    From all your posts on here, I dont see much hope for you personally getting a job tbh.

What i mean is that ceos that are overpaid,and do **** all,
    The government doesn't pay them!
    and consultants on golf trips during a work week driving jags should take a pay cut,due to the fact there never there in hospitals,look,my dad went into a & e recently and said there were NO consultants what so ever ..its the docs that do all the donkey work..
    consultants don't work in a&e ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement