Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby born end of March should we be careful..

Options
  • 18-07-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭

Baba as born at the end of March and has been breastfed since. Wife thinks she may have had her period a few days ago (light symptoms).

Should we be careful about nighttime aerobics :o in case she gets pregnant again so soon or is the breastfeeding still reasonably good as a contraceptive?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If she has had a period she is ovulating and can get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I see, ahem..ok
    God I hope not! :D

Better take precautions so!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I gave birth in August, pregnant again by surprise :) in November, precisely the situation you could be in... definately take precautions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

No single method of contraception is 100% effective.*
    If you don't want another pregnancy use condoms.

*Abstinence method proven unreliable around alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Have you heard of Irish twins?

Yes she most definitely can get pregnant. Breastfeeding acting as a contraceptive barrier only applies where a mum is totally feeding on demand day and night. Using soothers and bottles can interrupt the process so in reality even those of us who exclusively breastfed probably weren't getting the full contraceptive protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are never any guarantee's either way! I'd be taking precautions even if she was breastfeeding unless you don't mind the thought of another so soon.

I got pregnant on number 2 when number 1 was 5 months old and number 3 was conceived when number 2 was 9 months old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

January wrote: »
    There are never any guarantee's either way! I'd be taking precautions even if she was breastfeeding unless you don't mind the thought of another so soon.

I got pregnant on number 2 when number 1 was 5 months old and number 3 was conceived when number 2 was 9 months old :p

Actually I wouldn't mind truth be told, he's wriggling around in my arms and farting at the same time right now - sure what's not to love :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The hormone responsible for reducing the risks of pregnancy while breastfeeding is the Prolactin hormone, which is the same one that produces breastmilk.

A high level of Prolactin inhibits two hormones necessary for ovulation: follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). Prolactin is present in lower amounts in males and non-lactating females, and increases during pregnancy and afterwards if breastfeeding.

While the level is high, ovulation is rare but possible, and How Strange is absolutely correct - even one bottle a day or using a soother can cause the prolactin level to dip enough to ovulate and therefore get pregnant.

My sister gave her child one bottle per day. She chanced her arm with her hubby once without contraception and whaddyanno? :D And she had previously had difficulty getting pregnant so didnt even think there was a risk. Luckily they were open to the idea of more children and the pregnancy was a welcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Yes i got pregnant on son no.2 when i had been exclusively breastfeeding,i didnt have a period either.So it can happen. Theres 12 months between my first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

As others have said, breastfeeding does not equal non-fertile. Even before the return of the period your wife can still ovulate so if you're not 100% sure you want another so soon then take precautions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement