Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for an MMORPG

Options
  • 18-07-2012 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know any good MMORPG's? I'm particularly looking for something for a low end-ish laptop (the likes of WoW, SRO, Lineage2).

So I've played a lot of Silkroad Online and Lineage 2 and I've been bored with them. I've also played Runescape but the low frame rate just spoils it all.

I tried WoW, it runs great but I just can't afford the monthly payments :mad:

The only reason I quit playing SRO is that it doesn't support 1024x600 resolution which is what my netbook runs...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What about Guild Wars 2 with the settings down? It's not a monthly budget and there's a beta weekend starting tomorrow, I think, so you can see if it's for you.

And there's plenty of free-to-play games out there too. Plenty of different genres and many with low requirements. I think most games you'll have to just try to see if you can run.

The main ones I've tried and enjoyed are Lord of The Rings Online (not sure of the requirements, so check the link below, this is one of my favourites that I'll have to get back into soon), DC Universe Online (Superheroes and quite a casual game. Shallow, but fun if you like your comic books), and Star Trek Online (a mix between ship combat and standard ground based MMO's, with plenty to do, great community and constantly updated with user generated content).

Runescape should run reasonably well. Are you running it through your browser? And is your version of Java up to date (this caused issues for me).

Check http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx to see if your laptop can run some of the games (not all will be listed here).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

If you can run GW2 I'd definitely give it a go. Although low end laptop doesnt sound promising. Low end desktop might be able to run it.
    You could also try GW1 but the community is dying with the imminent launch of GW2 - mainly people who want to complete titles for the cosmetic bonuses they can transfer to GW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Basically my netbook has the AMD C-50 APU so the main problem is CPU speed. Anything CPU hungry lags (i.e Runescape due to Java).

For example it can handle GTA San Andreas with 4xAA well, because it isn't CPU intensive.

Runescape runs at about 19 fps, which isn't too bad but it doesn't make me happy the way WoW does :D

Advertisement