Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL Courses

Options
  • 18-07-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm looking at doing a TEFL course in order to go teaching abroad next year, Idealy in Sweden or Japan. What I am posting about thought is that there seems to be a large amout of companies that can provide TEFL courses and jobs abroad, does anyone know which would be the best agency to go with.
    Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm looking at doing a TEFL course in order to go teaching abroad next year, Idealy in Sweden or Japan. What I am posting about thought is that there seems to be a large amout of companies that can provide TEFL courses and jobs abroad, does anyone know which would be the best agency to go with.
    Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The international benchmark in the Cambridge CELTA; the Irish CELT is pretty much the same thing.

Sweden - zero demand for teachers.

For Japan I think you need to have a degree on order to get a visa not just a teaching qualification. Look at Shane Schools & the JET scheme.

Every Swede I've ever met speaks excellent English so ya won't be going there.. Think See Ye is right about needing a degree for Japan.

But CELT isn't the same when it comes to schools around the world. You can explain all you want to bosses and parents but if the certificate doesn't say celta/tefl/tesol, it's a bit of a waste going from a few better jobs here in Vietnam that require a certificate.

You should do the certificate in Thailand or something.. More fun and cheaper living costs during it. I did mine in Philippines and loved it. Try teaching in Vietnam.. I make an absolute fortune here now teaching 32 hours a week with over a years experience. I'd be surprised if it isn't the most lucrative place in the world for teaching English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Every Swede I've ever met speaks excellent English so ya won't be going there.. Think See Ye is right about needing a degree for Japan.

But CELT isn't the same when it comes to schools around the world. You can explain all you want to bosses and parents but if the certificate doesn't say celta/tefl/tesol, it's a bit of a waste going from a few better jobs here in Vietnam that require a certificate.

You should do the certificate in Thailand or something.. More fun and cheaper living costs during it. I did mine in Philippines and loved it. Try teaching in Vietnam.. I make an absolute fortune here now teaching 32 hours a week with over a years experience. I'd be surprised if it isn't the most lucrative place in the world for teaching English.

Vietnam good, yeah?

Yea, it isn't as famous for teaching as Korea etc. so demand is very high.

New jobs posted everyday.. Add privates and you make alot.
    http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/job/list?category=1

How cheap the city is.. Pack of fags for a dollar. Bottle of beer for a dollar. My girlfriend cooks for both of us for less than two dollars.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/london-worlds-most-expensive-city-for-night-out-says-tripadvisor/story-fn32891l-1226395200145

If you can manage to live in Vietnam, then it's a great spot.. You have to get used to the chaos and driving your bike around but for most of us here, we loved Hanoi and then decided to stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiley.robert

Well, looks like Sweden and Japan might be off the cards.

In terms of employment would the company assist with that? Also, (obviously it depends on the employer) but how long would a teaching job last? i.e: would it be possible to get a teaching job for 4-6 months as opposed to an entire school year?

When it comes to travelling how important is it to know the native language? Obviously it would help, but Vietnam looks very good but don't know a single word. Would this be a hindrance?

• Advertisement

Yea you're not locked down to jobs or anything.. If I get a better offer, I switch. Not necessary to know any of the language but it helps to learn some when you get herr. The french converted the language to the roman alphabet which makes Vietnam an easy place to live. I dont need to remember symbols, just words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I make an absolute fortune here now teaching 32 hours a week with over a years experience. I'd be surprised if it isn't the most lucrative place in the world for teaching English.

Could you quantify this with an approximation? Whats an absolute fortune, and is it a relative absolute fortune (ie, is it the cheap living costs that make is seem so good?). The angle Im coming from is, would it be enough to send some home to part pay an Irish mortgage, save some, and live on? Thanks.

Advertisement