Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney adventure race 2012

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi guys,

not sure if this is the right section for posting, but was looking for some general advice for the killarney adventure race 2012 (as opposed to make sure and do the training!!)

i did gaelforce 2 yrs ago, enjoyed it, thought it was great, tough enough, croagh patrick was insane. otherwise, it was ok.

ive signed up for the killarney adventure race in october, reading a few threads....getting a bit anxious. the course sounds horrendous, amazing, but horrendous. seems to be a lot of 'going up big hills' on foot and bike and we all know how difficult that is. has anyone competed last year? any words of wisdom? is it not as bad as i might think...is it worse??!!!

thinking back, GF wasn't overly hilly apart from croagh patrick, and a bit of bog running, but was an entirely reasonable route in terms of elevation, not easy, but not crazy either. this seems something a bit different...would appreciate an insiders view on the route, the challenges and any tips in general.

otherwise im all geared up ready to go. just wondered if there is anyone who did it last year and might be able to shed a bit of light on the degree of elevation involved throughout the different stages.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the overlap

What are the possibilities for relay teams in this race?

If a team of 4 wanted to enter the longest course of 67km could one team member run the first leg up Strickeen and then also run the Mangerton leg of the race?

Does the cyclist have to also complete the final short cycling leg in addition to the main cycling leg or could this be taken by another member?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GTown

You can enter a team as a relay 2/3/4 person.

See all the relay information here http://killarneyadventurerace.ie/raceinformation.php

Regarding how hard it is - the 67Km is harder than Gaelforce, the 57Km is about the same as GF.

See elevation of the 57Km route here http://runkeeper.com/user/dauran/activity/55570522

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

Do we need our own kayaks?

What Kind of bike (racer/mtb) recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

AFAIK kayaks are provided. Type of bike is up to you. From what I've seen of it, road bikes if you are confident with your handling of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Anyone know what the cut-off times for each section are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

GKiraly wrote: »
    Anyone know what the cut-off times for each section are?

I think there really is only a cut off if you are doing the longer courses the second run has a cut off of 4pm according to the site .

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smaktardis

Hi OP, i am in the same boat as you were one year ago!

any advice? how did it go for you? doing it again?

Advertisement