Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Media

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What does it say ? All I can see is women praying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

This is kinda related so will post here
    Hard to read this but Ming wanted to ask someone in the dail a question but they edited it and told him he wasn't aloud ask that he really wanted.

Linky to text

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Shame, I found it on face book it it shows people going nuts in an american church and underneath the slogan. 'Irish Newspaper Journalists React with Joy to the News Another Irish Woman was Murdered on Her Honeymoon.'

I guess it is a commentary concerning the OOT convulsions and hysteria in the media of late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

sickening shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't get your point, OP.

The general public had massive interest in the Michaela McAreavy case. At no stage did I notice the media seemed 'happy' with her being killed. Are you criticising them for reporting on something that the public were interested in and horrified by? If they didn't, you'd probably claim that the media was as bad as in North Korea.

It does seem like the kind of thing that'd get all 'teh likes' though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

leggo wrote: »
    I don't get your point, OP.

The general public had massive interest in the Michaela McAreavy case. At no stage did I notice the media seemed 'happy' with her being killed. Are you criticising them for reporting on something that the public were interested in and horrified by? If they didn't, you'd probably claim that the media was as bad as in North Korea.

It does seem like the kind of thing that'd get all 'teh likes' though.

I think the Irish media have shown themselves to be perfectly insane with Michaela McAreavy horror. This is not how normal people behave.

They are milking this case for all it is worth. I have never seen anything like the hysteria. They are like rabid dogs. Completely out of proportion with public opinion.

As for the "Massive Interest" - I suggest that is subjective. As in - if you are a normal, psychologically balanced individual you felt bad for the family and that was that.

On the other hand if you are uneducated skanger, LiveLine Monkey or a Newspaper Journalist there was "Massive Interest".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Irish media has been piss poor as long as I can remember. I left the country nearly 6 months ago but even then nearly every week there was at least a small story involving Gerry Ryan! The guy died a good while ago now, let it go!

It was the same when Katie French died.

Then you have the RTE news which seems to be a puppet for the governments in power. Also has journalists who have their own agendas and bias. I would like a national broadcaster that is non bias and just reports fact rather than opinion.

They also run their news site pretty strange, you can comment on some stories but not others..like those involving RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

[QUOTE=OurLadyofKnock;[/QUOTE]

I guess it is a commentary concerning the OOT convulsions and hysteria in the media of late.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, kind of like the OTT hysteria that you're displaying by suggesting that people are celebrating the murder of an innocent woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I have never seen anything like the hysteria. They are like rabid dogs. Completely out of proportion with public opinion.

Out of proportion with public opinion? You are aware that the Mauritius Facebook page was absolutely bombed the night of the verdict by outraged Irish people? Not journalists, just average, everyday Paddy's who think that liking a horrific picture can cure cancer. A bit ridiculous, in my opinion, but that's still the general public's opinion. So I think it's actually yourself who's out of proportion with public opinion.

As for them being 'happy'...what?! Are you actually drunk writing that?? Do you even know what the word 'hysteria' means? It's not the same as finding something 'hysterical'...it doesn't mean that you're happy about it. Never mind the fact that I've seen no such instances of them being 'happy', they simply did their job and reported on a high profile court case.

Again, I'd imagine that if they didn't report on it, you'd probably come into AH and post a crappy meme about how an Irish person can die and the media would be too busy writing about reality TV shows or the like.

Sorry OP, but you've the logic of a conspiracy theory-loving taxi driver here and it's just not standing up to scrutiny at all, at all. It just seems like you've a pointless axe to grind here at an absolute non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think the Irish media have shown themselves to be perfectly insane with Michaela McAreavy horror. This is not how normal people behave.

They are milking this case for all it is worth. I have never seen anything like the hysteria. They are like rabid dogs. Completely out of proportion with public opinion.

As for the "Massive Interest" - I suggest that is subjective. As in - if you are a normal, psychologically balanced individual you felt bad for the family and that was that.

On the other hand if you are uneducated skanger, LiveLine Monkey or a Newspaper Journalist there was "Massive Interest".

Are you for real!? So "normal" people spared a thought for the family and just went about their way?

I must be an uneducated scanger so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement