Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should charities pay for regulation?

• 18-07-2012 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

The Charity Sector in Ireland is largely unregulated. A charities act was introduced in 2009 but it's implementation has been put on hold due to cost. Some of the large Irish charities take in 20-30 million per year and it's not unknown for CEO's of these charities to be paid well in excess of 100k per year. The FAI for example (and im a football fan) benefit from charitable status and pay Delaney 430k per year. Some charities give a detailed account of how their charitable moneys are spent others are less forthcoming.

My question is should these large charities (say those that take in over 100k per year) have to pay a tax or charge to meet the cost of regulation?

There's been a couple of threads here about the charity sector and here's one more but I hope im adding something new to the debate. I'm gonna come clear and say that i'm completely in favor of regulating charities and see no reason why they would not meet the cost. I worked for one of the large Irish charities (i won't name) and was shocked by what I saw as a disgusting lack of regard for those on who's behalf huge amounts of money were collected. Instead from what i could see the emphasis was on looking after a large and privileged group of senior managers.

I think a lot of people have turned away from charity in Ireland and have become very cynical because of CEO salaries, chugging, lack of accountability etc. Would people have more trust in an independently regulated system and should charities meet the cost?

Should charities pay for regulation? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

yes they should pay they are running away with BAGS of money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do they not have audited accounts every year? Call in one of the big firm to audit it all?

Trócaire do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

there should be a salary cap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

oh definately i heard angela kerins earns(rehab care) 200,000 + and probably bonuses or company car or whatever other hidden costs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

there should be a salary cap
    Is that like a beanie made out of payslips?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Wtf do I keep seeing Atari jaguar around here?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

1ZRed wrote: »
    Wtf do I keep seeing Atari jaguar around here?:confused:

This is like the Boards.ie equivalent of asking why views get stuck on 301 on Youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do they not have audited accounts every year? Call in one of the big firm to audit it all?

Trócaire do

Big difference between audited accounts and public accountability. Audited accounts don't tell the public what the company pays it's ceo's, expenses etc. If the government was to inform us in the morning that their accounts are now audited by one of the big firms and their no longer going to tell us td's salaries, expenses, adviser expenses, tendering practices etc there would be outrage. Yet as it stands, we just have to trust that these large charities aren't exploiting these type of opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Is that like a beanie made out of payslips?:D

exactly :D

Advertisement