Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner Friendly

• 18-07-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey lads im looking for some road time on my new bike before i sit my test , im ridin a red Marauder anyone that wants to tag along is always welcome be it a scooter a 125 or a narley harley please pop along ..this is for nothing more than gettin out and ridin ...if ya love your bike and want a blast......im in Waterford so if u want to have a ride round ...young or old Novice or Pro all welcome ..ill be at the Waterford train Station at 11.00am on Sunday 22nd ...

Hope to see ya boys there ...well just make the route as we go so buddy system is in affect.

As a mate of mine loves to say

Keep the shiny side up

Ridin out (War_child)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All the best with the test mate and hope you get as much practise time in as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Have to say Wonda , after moving from race bikes to a cruiser ...mainly because me poor ole back aint able for chin down arse up anymore lol , ilove the feel of the cruiser sailin round corners so much more comfortable ride soimouton her every chance i get even for a 2 minute shop run. My missus is gettin mad at me walkin round in me leathers all the time , but i just tell her function over fashion hun lmao. Cheers for the words of encouragement illlet yez all know how i get on ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

war_child wrote: »
    Hey lads im looking for some road time on my new bike before i sit my test , im ridin a red Marauder anyone that wants to tag along is always welcome be it a scooter a 125 or a narley harley please pop along ..this is for nothing more than gettin out and ridin ...if ya love your bike and want a blast......im in Waterford so if u want to have a ride round ...young or old Novice or Pro all welcome ..ill be at the Waterford train Station at 11.00am on Sunday 22nd ...

Hope to see ya boys there ...well just make the route as we go so buddy system is in affect.

As a mate of mine loves to say

Keep the shiny side up

Ridin out (War_child)

its a pitty what you have done. i am heading down this weekend but its safer not meeting eachother.

gl with your spin.

send from gnexus

unfortunatly in this life biker there are people you get along with and people you dont, we dont see eye to eye so i harbour no ill will.

Hope your spin down goes comfortably

Well I quite like the idea of a crusier but I would not like one for my main bike. I aint into the racing sportsbike either. My ideal bikes are sports tourers like I have at the moment....really are the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sorry to say this...but would it not be better to go off biking on your own,before your test and go through all the various manouvers and riding/road positions in your head and on the bike.

That would be the best thing to do,if you want road/bike time comming up to your test.

Then,once you have passed your test,arrange a ride out with a few people.

paddy i go out every day on my own , would like to get some group time as ill be attending quite a few rallys wen they come up and bike respect is good to learn wen with a group of bikes at the same time, but i completly agree with what ur saying which is why i go out at different times of day take it thru the city as u said go thru my maneouvres i think im fairly ready for the test cant wait for it

@ wonda ye sports tourers are nice bikes more of an upright posture ridin , i might switch to one of those wen im abit older ha ha ha not sayin ur old or anything , but would def be a style i would look in to in the future.

If you want a few tips PM me and I give you some advice I only did mine a few months ago and passed with no marks so I tell you what he did and what he wants on the advanced section when not driving around. ;)

Remember the word...POWDER

P.....Petrol...as in where is the petrol cap

O....Oil.....as in where is the oil tank and how would you check the oil in a bike with a dipstick cap (example being a BMW G650)

W....Water...as in radiator/coolant and making sure its topped up

D.....Damage....as in inspecting the bike for any damage/defects,before setting off for a ride

E.....Electrics...as in making sure all lights,brake lights,indicators and kill switch work.Also that ABS is working,if your bike has ABS

R.....Rubber...as in the tyres on the bike,that they have at least 1mm of thread depth,are in good condition and are correctly inflated

Remember this word and you will have no problems with that part of the test,when the instructor asks you about the bike and checking it over,before riding it..

The instructor will likely ask you about the brake fluid levels and how to check them

He will also ask you about the tyre thread depth for a bike.

He may also ask you about a loose/slack chain and what would that mean with regards the bikes condition and any possible reasons for the chain being slack.

Above and he asked me how to set the reserve. I just laughed and told him the bike is all digital and no switch below the saddle, he will also ask you to walk the bike in the test centre. Make sure you get all your GEAR ON BEFORE moving the bike and look left and right as if you in the middle of a road.

Most people fail on lack of progression and observation m8, so get them nailed.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads all really useful and handy tips ill def be more vigilant in my preparation work now , i also heard there was a handy way of checking the thread depth on a tyre with a coin so must check online for that , cheers again lads much appreciated

Dont need to actually check it...he will just ask you. The minimum is 1mm on the tyre....the hardest thing you will have to do is the emergency rolling brake from 60klms and the slow ride beside the instructor.

My advice is to kick it down a gear the minute he asks you to brake, that way you not stalling and messing with gears to take off again and make sure you check the mirrors before pulling off again. You cannot stop the bike completely.

For the slow ride most people say ride the back brake and up the revs but it can get messy real quick if you dont nail it. If you can use the idle revs to move and just squeeze in the clutch a tad if going to fast for the instructor. Gives a much better view that you are in control with no revs going mental....but what ever feels best to you.

The lack of progression is a huge point. If you are riding along and he is telling you to go left right and stop etc etc. If at a junction and he tells you to go left/right make sure you go when there is a space for YOU and YOU ALONE, DO NOT WAIT FOR A GAP FOR BOTH OF YOU. He will fail you, if you get to far ahead he will just ask you to pull in. I had to pull in 4 times no probs, just lifesaver when pulling off again.

Yeah the Lifesaver is crucial.

Testers also fail people on moving the bike into position "while" they are doing the mirror signal process.

So dont actualy move the bike into the correct road position for turning left or right until you have done your mirror and signal procedure.
    Also a quick lifesaver aswell,about 5 meters from the left or right turn is no harm either...it shows you are "aware and alert".

Make sure to really move your head and be seen by the tester to be moving your head and look in the mirrors.

Also in general...check your mirrors around every 20 seconds when out riding,and with the tester in the car behind you.

Also remember the rule for distancing yourself.

2 seconds to the car in front,if its dry

4 seconds if its wet.

If its wet out,and there is no traffic in front of you,then do the speed of that particular road.

So if the road is 50kph,then do the 50kph.

All taken on board info assimilated, im pretty good at ridin the brake years of Dublin ridin especially the walkinstown roandabout Urrgghhhhh anyway lads cheers for all the tips, was just out for abit of a ride with a mate hes already done his test and was givin me pointers as we went along, did the moving off in to single gap traffic and i think he told me to pull in twice.

Will keep it consitant always been a friend of repetition , practice makes perfect. ill get out a few more times before the test and all goin well shud be well prepared.

Please if ya have any other tips or helpful hints that worked fo you boys fire em up so i can practice them and see if they fit my ridin style. If they do ill incorporate em. Again lads cheers

Brush up on garda hand signals,traffic signs,roadside and motorway signs.

The tester will show you around 4-5 different signs on a page,and you will have to tell him what they mean.

Make sure you get the padestrian zone and clearway signs correct,and dont mix them up.

He will most likely also ask you what a when you can enter a yellow box

Advertisement