Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMF: social welfare benefits 'too high'

1111213141517»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 29 road_hog

the 700 pw for a single person over seventy - 1400 for a couple over seventy is an obscenley high threshold when you consider the number of couples in their thirties with kids , morgaged up to their eyeballs and with insecure employment who are not entitled to a medical card

what kind of twisted thinking informed the general public that pensioners should be unconditionally indulged regardless of the cost to every other generation

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

response from quite shocked person
    did road hog (hello) say 700euro PER WEEK for single over 70 etc. wow...........
    i can hardly believe that, are you sure.......is that for disabled pensioner or something?

did someone else say (sorry name not mentioned - hello anyway) that certain monied persons were entitled to medical cards, or that the HAD TO hand them back i.e NOT VOLUNTARY and some had not?
    did you also say there is no means of tracing them.....that is ludicrous and scandalous
    there should be complete listings, always updated AND subject to spot checks, if there is no compliance (have these people no shame?) then howabout using a different approach......
    my doctor occasionally asks to see my medical card to check my status - i am not offended at all
    he has much about me on his computer and i think these computers should work in tandem with the responsible (or should i say irresponsible just now) department so that the card is cancelled when the entitlement is cancelled
    these shameful people should be caught out - if it is voluntary let them look their doctor in the eye and if it is not voluntary well they maybe should be a candidate for defrauding the system - that is, if it really is the new welfare rules and therefore the laws of the land
    if the doctor feels it clashes with the role of carer there is a first-line check i.e. the receptionist - they help with the checking of card lists, vaccination for flu lists etc.

i do want to say i am disgusted with the insensitivity of the person who reports they have not found bodies etc......
    i presume that our welfare would help with genuine cases and allow a 'pauper's' burial and not fuss over making it a public issue for the bereaved
    at the risk of being called equally insensitive or positively scandalous i would say that there is a terrible shortage of bodies (i know of loved ones) or maybe for some they have no-one - orphans are always in a difficult position for many issues in their lives) but we are all for donating ourselves to a named hospital - one that saved my life with quite involved surgery and will never be able to show my gratitude
    i think, please correct me those who know...) that a body is useful for many teaching and practical learning for our future medics and that a body can be used for various things for around 3 years....it is essential our future medics can train and can save others don't you think
    it would be a wonderful thing to give yourself to a badly needed and noble usage
    well, that's put the cat amongst the pigeons but i think it is important not to be coy about vital issues
    i apologise, most sincerely, for the offence i will cause to some but i hope some people really consider that option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

response from quite shocked person
    did road hog (hello) say 700euro PER WEEK for single over 70 etc. wow...........
    i can hardly believe that, are you sure.......is that for disabled pensioner or something?

No the €700 per week is for any person over 70 years of age or of course €1,400 a week for a couple where one of the couple is over 70. It makes you think twice when you see the poor auld dears wheeled out anytime there is mention of cuts for old people. Same problem as always onece you can identify a few hard cases, the well-healed in the cohort get off scott free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

creedp wrote: »
    No the €700 per week is for any person over 70 years of age or of course €1,400 a week for a couple where one of the couple is over 70. It makes you think twice when you see the poor auld dears wheeled out anytime there is mention of cuts for old people. Same problem as always onece you can identify a few hard cases, the well-healed in the cohort get off scott free.

this is entirely true, do not blame the pensioners, blame the dossers who made this possible so as to keep their noses in the trough, the majority of these dossers claim that they done this in the name of my country, no it was done in the name of greed now we have kids in several countys who cannot or will have trouble getting their collage grants unless their parents have paid the 100 lid household charge, whereas the kids from the leafy suburbs do not have this trouble, they still get the same grant, means testing is a no no but having a kid starve or at the mercy of the money lenders is, clare co council claim that they will collect 90k this way, which is still not enough to pay the wages of their county manager, never mind his expenses or allowances, then what about his pension plan, the top 10 earners in our co councils collect over a million, plus the add ons, one would thik that they were fones with all the add ons it is a pity that they do not work or be advailable as the said fones, believe it or not i am glad to be in the autum of my years, as i would hate to have to put up with what the younger gererations will and have to, in order to applease the greed of so few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

flutered wrote: »
    this is entirely true, do not blame the pensioners, blame the dossers who made this possible so as to keep their noses in the trough, the majority of these dossers claim that they done this in the name of my country, no it was done in the name of greed now we have kids in several countys who cannot or will have trouble getting their collage grants unless their parents have paid the 100 lid household charge, whereas the kids from the leafy suburbs do not have this trouble, they still get the same grant, means testing is a no no but having a kid starve or at the mercy of the money lenders is, clare co council claim that they will collect 90k this way, which is still not enough to pay the wages of their county manager, never mind his expenses or allowances, then what about his pension plan, the top 10 earners in our co councils collect over a million, plus the add ons, one would thik that they were fones with all the add ons it is a pity that they do not work or be advailable as the said fones, believe it or not i am glad to be in the autum of my years, as i would hate to have to put up with what the younger gererations will and have to, in order to applease the greed of so few.

This is what I have found on the net about pensions and it is no where near what is mentioned on here or am I reading it wrong.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/state_pension_contributory.html#l62fd2

i feel sorry for the younger lot too
    do you remember the exam pressure - bad enough i felt - boy its more crucial than ever and of course the worry for the youngsters and think of their parents.....
    we could walk into any job very easily, i thought, the interviews have become very involved and detailed, the CV is all too
    courses are so very expensive and of course, the cost of living but oh, the experience, i got mine when i was older
    i worked a few years first and went in as a mature student and that was a joy you know
    there is also something to be said for working and waiting for things, i paid for myself - had to - no money there you see
    i was hoping more would come in the way of postal degrees and holiday full-time - a sort of condensed and cramming inbetween,
    perhaps local tutors to support
    what do you think of that?
    how else are they all to get those qualifications and maybe free for most on low incomes too - i'd like that
    i know - they are all camping at the bit to leave home and runabout with their pals but......lot to be said for home comforts
    nothing is perfect eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

road_hog wrote: »
    the 700 pw for a single person over seventy - 1400 for a couple over seventy is an obscenley high threshold when you consider the number of couples in their thirties with kids , morgaged up to their eyeballs and with insecure employment who are not entitled to a medical card

what kind of twisted thinking informed the general public that pensioners should be unconditionally indulged regardless of the cost to every other generation

What is 700 pw? The OAP pension, is it?

• Site Banned Posts: 29 road_hog

ilovesleep wrote: »
    What is 700 pw? The OAP pension, is it?

was refering to the income threshold which exists to determine whether someone over seventy is entitled to a medical card

once you hit seventy, you can take in 700 per week ( beit from a pension , private or otherwise , or income of some kind ) and still qualify for a medical card , a couple over seventy can earn up to 1400 per week and still visit the doc for free

clear ?

road_hog wrote: »
    was refering to the income threshold which exists to determine whether someone over seventy is entitled to a medical card

once you hit seventy, you can take in 700 per week ( beit from a pension , private or otherwise , or income of some kind ) and still qualify for a medical card , a couple over seventy can earn up to 1400 per week and still visit the doc for free

clear ?

Have you got a link to that information please. In UK everything is taxable if you go over the tax limit of £10,500 and it does not matter if you are 100 years of age. The HNS is free for everyone but that service has got so bad for elderly people and it is better to stay away from them if at all possible.

What I think is wrong is NI the 6 counties residents there can get free transport in the south if they are pensioners, surely that is part of the UK. Irish people residing in UK with Irish passport are not allowed to travel free in Ireland, but thankfully the transport in Ireland has got better over the years and is cheaper now to what it use to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Maura74 wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that information please.

Here!

Come december we will of course have the shrill cries of "attacking most vulnerable" from the poverty industry reps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What I think is wrong is NI the 6 counties residents there can get free transport in the south if they are pensioners, surely that is part of the UK.

Pensioners get free travel throughout Ireland. They don't get it in Britain and quite rightly people from Britain don't get it here.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Pensioners get free travel throughout Ireland. They don't get it in Britain and quite rightly people from Britain don't get it here.

Am I missing something here NI, 6 counties, is part of the UK, Irish pensioners residing in the UK that retained their Irish nationality do not get it free travel in Ireland.

In London they give children and disable people free travel and they are talking about giving to the unemployed as well this the same in other parts of UK such as Wales and Scotland.

Pensioners do not get free travel on trains or coaches it is only for public buses and underground in London, there are parts of the UK where there is no public transport to speak of and this is the same in most of Ireland save for Dublin and other large cities.

Therefore pensioners have to get a taxis to travel for shopping or going to hospital appointments
    etc.
    Here!

Come december we will of course have the shrill cries of "attacking most vulnerable" from the poverty industry reps

I think that there are not many getting this upper limit it is the exception rather than the rule.

If pensioner have saved they already have paid tax on their income as well as everyone else, if they have a private pension then they would have had to contribute to that out of their salaries. Do you want people to pay twice by way of taxes when they become pensioners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

jack o connor said the main reason he didnt want to see cuts to public sector pay was because it might encourage employers to cut the wages of those in the private sector or those unemployed who are seeking work :rolleyes:

Im sure hes really concerned. What a twat! :mad: No offence moderators :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Am I missing something here NI, 6 counties, is part of the UK, Irish pensioners residing in the UK that retained their Irish nationality do not get it free travel in Ireland.

Obviously you are missing something. Nationality has nothing whatsoever to do with it, residence does.

Anyone that wanted free travel in Ireland should have stayed in Ireland and not moved to the UK. You can't have your cake and eat it.

ardmacha wrote: »

But NI the 6 counties is part of Britain..:rolleyes:

People in the 6 counties in NI can use their freedom pass in the UK as they are British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

OK, we're moving well off-topic here. The thread is neither for arguments over the national question nor for rants about burial.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Im sure hes really concerned. What a twat! :mad: No offence moderators :p

It is an issue that largely gets overlooked. In my field, the public sector wages used to be about 5 - 10% higher than the private. They reduced the wages of the public sector (as they did to all public sector jobs a few years ago). That week they then reduced the private sector wage by the same amount, to leave the same 5 - 10% wage difference. Then if you count pension levys etc, you end up with the private sector having more net wage than the public.

i love this site and have taken to follow it avidly
    i know we are not of one mind but that is life
    this site is good and spicy - everyone really letting some steam off
    i love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It is an issue that largely gets overlooked. In my field, the public sector wages used to be about 5 - 10% higher than the private. They reduced the wages of the public sector (as they did to all public sector jobs a few years ago). That week they then reduced the private sector wage by the same amount, to leave the same 5 - 10% wage difference. Then if you count pension levys etc, you end up with the private sector having more net wage than the public.

But what happens if its the other way around. Private gets cut first. :D
    Sorry same ol tune I know

Advertisement