Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a fixed lease?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭

we've just been told our home of 6 months is being sold. this is the 2nd time we have been told this in 5 months and since we are a fairly young couple (+1 shortly :)) this obviously is not the situation we wanted to be in to start our family. we havent been given notice yet and have been told by the landlord we might not have to move out for weeks/months (if ever)
    we were told when we moved in the landlord was looking for a long term rental, and later that he was very happy with us but the uncertainty about the house means we just want to move without the threat of imminent eviction with a baby in tow.
    we want to find a place immediately and give 1months notice and off we'll go but our lease is fixed with 6 months left so what are our options . can we break the lease or can landlord hold us to it until he gets a buyer rather than lose the income .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

A fixed term lease isnt effected by the sale of the house, the houses new owners have to honour the lease until end of the fixed term, and then can either offer a new lease or move into the house themselves.

Just be sure to make clear to the new owners that they will be expected to be responsible for the return of your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

i gathered that from searching posts here . i really dont want to move in the dark wet winter nights so move now is my preference. it seems to be inevitable and im pished off cos we had thought this would be our home for a few years .but stuff happens i assume in the situation both parties will agree to break the lease but if what should be the opiion on how to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Talk to your landlord and explain your (understandable) concerns. With a child on the way you need some certainty. If your landlord is anyway reasonable he'll understand and be able to come to some arrangement with you.

If I was selling my place I'd want to keep some rent coming in as long as possible, so I'd offer my tenants a reduced rent if they stayed till "the bitter end" and cooperated with inspections by potential buyers etc.

The new owner may be a landlord too and may not want to turf out good tenants ;)

Advertisement