Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students - Mathematics, Chemistry/Physics/Biology/Computer Science

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

For maths teaching degrees would the maths get much more advanced or would it be on par with leaving cert. Im not talking about a maths course but like science education in DCU which qualifies you to teach maths and physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

bobjimmy wrote: »
    For maths teaching degrees would the maths get much more advanced or would it be on par with leaving cert. Im not talking about a maths course but like science education in DCU which qualifies you to teach maths and physics

It would have to get more advanced. It would probably have to cover the old LC syllabli from back in the 70s and 60s and what not, incase any of that material will make a show on future syllabli. Also, in the future when I'm chief examiner for maths I'm going to try and bring maths to the same standard as that in A levels, perhaps by having a further maths course here as well as just honours and pass. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

bobjimmy wrote: »

I'm not really sure about maths, but when I was looking into Science Education in NUIM, I remember being told that the biology side of it would go into more detail about topics in the LC or relating to the LC, but it would stick mostly to what's in the syllabus. So you'd be doing mostly stuff that you would be teaching, but in more detail. Something like that, anyway, it was a while ago that I was looking into it :pac: But I do know that that was one of the things that put me off having it as my number 1, as I'd like to go into research before teaching and I figured General Science would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm not really sure about maths, but when I was looking into Science Education in NUIM, I remember being told that the biology side of it would go into more detail about topics in the LC or relating to the LC, but it would stick mostly to what's in the syllabus. So you'd be doing mostly stuff that you would be teaching, but in more detail. Something like that, anyway, it was a while ago that I was looking into it :pac: But I do know that that was one of the things that put me off having it as my number 1, as I'd like to go into research before teaching and I figured General Science would be better.

Yeah that's correct. You do what's on the syllabus but at third level standard. It's also difficult to do any postgraduate stuff related to science because not all modules are covered in Science Ed that would be covered in General Science.
    So a General Science degree would be far more beneficial and employable for work in research than an education degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Ah thanks lads thats alright so. Was just wondering would i be able for my course. Id be a C1/B3 student in maths so hopefully ill be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

Hopefully I'll be going into Mathematical Sciences in UCC to do a degree in Maths and Physics. At the moment I'm thinking about going into physics research afterwards and so a TP degree or something like that would probably be better but the good thing about CK407 is that if I change my mind I can do a HDip and go teaching :) a few of ye seem to be interested in physics, what do ye think about the career prospects afterwards for a Maths and Physics graduate?

Salts wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be going into Mathematical Sciences in UCC to do a degree in Maths and Physics. At the moment I'm thinking about going into physics research afterwards and so a TP degree or something like that would probably be better but the good thing about CK407 is that if I change my mind I can do a HDip and go teaching :) a few of ye seem to be interested in physics, what do ye think about the career prospects afterwards for a Maths and Physics graduate?

There is a lot of different areas which people of Maths and physics can head into. Any aspect of finance, education, television, meteorology, astronomy, research lab work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Wow, there is a lot of misinformation about Computer Science in this thread.

Don't even know where to start to be honest.

(From a Trinity CS student..)

But I'd point out that anyone who thinks Google/Intel are going to hire them into a technical position without the requisite technical skills are fooling themselves. Google in Ireland hires mostly marketing and finance grads, they do very little development here. Intel hire mostly engineers (Chemical, Electronic & Computer Engineering mostly (as well as hardware focused Computer Science grads)) for their technical positions - but they, along with Deloitte/Accenture etc., also hire a lot of people with 'technical' skills who want to go into the business side of things. Mainly graduates from the likes of Maths, Economics, MSISS, Engineers with MA's in Finance/MBAs etc.

These are all "jobs". They are all doing vastly different things, but they're still jobs. If you're just looking to get a job then by all means do any of the above. If you're smart and clued in then you'll find employment easily, either here or abroad, and will make plenty of money. If that's what you're into.

Now to Computer Science. First off, if you do Computer Science, don't worry about finding a job. There is a massive shortage of good developers in this country, and in general world-wide. If you're any good, you'll be snapped up. If you're really good, they'll just throw money at you. But that's the boring bit.

Computer Science is awesome. I can't state this enough. You'll be learning how to design, build and control a machine that has made the modern world. How cool is that? You'll learn skills that'll allow you to build cool new things that'll change the world. You'll learn a ton of maths and logic, and learn to love math. REAL math. You'll (Well, certainly in Trinity, can't speak for anywhere else) be surrounded by people who love what they do, more than any other course. We eat and breathe this stuff, fiddling with stuff, breaking it, fixing it, building new stuff. You'll be exposed to one of the coolest communities in the world. This is an industry where people love going to work because it's fun. When they get home, they go and build more stuff in their spare time. We build because we love it. Creating stuff that people will actually use, stuff that at minimum makes their life a little easier/more fun, but could sometimes change their lives completely and utterly. You'll be reticent at first, thinking "****, I don't like this as much as the rest of these guys", but then you'll get pulled in. And suddenly you're pulling caffeine-fuelled all-nighters putting the finishing touches on the cool new program/website/app/network/server/desktop you built.

And that's when you say "Holy crap, people are going to pay me lots and lots of money to do this for the rest of my life"

Yes it's a vocation. No, it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of jobs in 'IT' in banks/big companies for people who want a 'normal' job with a steady promotion ladder and 9-5.

But me? I'll swan into work at 10 am after indulging myself on my office's free beers the night before, thanks. :D

NSNO wrote: »
    Wow, there is a lot of misinformation about Computer Science in this thread.

Don't even know where to start to be honest.

(From a Trinity CS student..)

But I'd point out that anyone who thinks Google/Intel are going to hire them into a technical position without the requisite technical skills are fooling themselves. Google in Ireland hires mostly marketing and finance grads, they do very little development here. Intel hire mostly engineers (Chemical, Electronic & Computer Engineering mostly (as well as hardware focused Computer Science grads)) for their technical positions - but they, along with Deloitte/Accenture etc., also hire a lot of people with 'technical' skills who want to go into the business side of things. Mainly graduates from the likes of Maths, Economics, MSISS, Engineers with MA's in Finance/MBAs etc.

These are all "jobs". They are all doing vastly different things, but they're still jobs. If you're just looking to get a job then by all means do any of the above. If you're smart and clued in then you'll find employment easily, either here or abroad, and will make plenty of money. If that's what you're into.

Now to Computer Science. First off, if you do Computer Science, don't worry about finding a job. There is a massive shortage of good developers in this country, and in general world-wide. If you're any good, you'll be snapped up. If you're really good, they'll just throw money at you. But that's the boring bit.

Computer Science is awesome. I can't state this enough. You'll be learning how to design, build and control a machine that has made the modern world. How cool is that? You'll learn skills that'll allow you to build cool new things that'll change the world. You'll learn a ton of maths and logic, and learn to love math. REAL math. You'll (Well, certainly in Trinity, can't speak for anywhere else) be surrounded by people who love what they do, more than any other course. We eat and breathe this stuff, fiddling with stuff, breaking it, fixing it, building new stuff. You'll be exposed to one of the coolest communities in the world. This is an industry where people love going to work because it's fun. When they get home, they go and build more stuff in their spare time. We build because we love it. Creating stuff that people will actually use, stuff that at minimum makes their life a little easier/more fun, but could sometimes change their lives completely and utterly. You'll be reticent at first, thinking "****, I don't like this as much as the rest of these guys", but then you'll get pulled in. And suddenly you're pulling caffeine-fuelled all-nighters putting the finishing touches on the cool new program/website/app/network/server/desktop you built.

And that's when you say "Holy crap, people are going to pay me lots and lots of money to do this for the rest of my life"

Yes it's a vocation. No, it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of jobs in 'IT' in banks/big companies for people who want a 'normal' job with a steady promotion ladder and 9-5.

But me? I'll swan into work at 10 am after indulging myself on my office's free beers the night before, thanks. :D

Wow, NSNO, that post must have taken you a serious amount of time to write, and I believe I speak for all of us on this thread when I say Thank you for the post. It is extremely informative and directly to the point. It really does highlight the importance for computer science and the opportunity for the subject as well.

gifluv-thank-you-15668695.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Sunny!! wrote: »
    anyone else interested in science education in maynooth seems appealing?:D

YES! :D My number 1. Are you doing it too?

Also my no.1 :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

That post is a great advertisement for CS. I've always been fascinated by it and fiddled around with CSS and stuff, but the maths put me off it a lot. Maybe someday! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

EIMxxxEAR wrote: »

Another fellow Science Ed buddy :D I was beginning to think I was the only one doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Boeing777 wrote: »
    EIMxxxEAR wrote: »

Another fellow Science Ed buddy :D I was beginning to think I was the only one doing it!

Same here. I know no one else either :L

Advertisement