Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason Friendlies 2012

Options
  • 18-07-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Stevenage v Tottenham 8pm:

Starting XI: Cudicini, Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Naughton, Jenas, Livermore, Bentley, Lennon, Pienaar, Kane

Subs: Friedel, Adam Smith, Gallas, Vertonghen, Bassong, Carroll, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Falque, Townsend, Coulibaly, Luongo

Will post a link if I come across one......... COYS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

seen a quick clip of it on SSN and AVB is not wearig that stupid mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Anyone else shake their head when they saw bassong's name on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Siggurdsson scores on his debut to put us 1 up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Gylfi Sigurdsson marked his debut with the winner as we toppled Stevenage 1-0 in our first pre-season friendly of the summer on Wednesday night.

The midfielder wasted little time in showing the shooting prowess he demonstrated in the second half of last season at Swansea with a fine strike 10 minutes into the second half - and just 10 minutes into his Spurs career.
    Andros Townsend darted down the left and cut the ball back for Sigurdsson, who controlled and drilled low across Steve Arnold in an instant.
    Yago Falque secured the victory two minutes from time, latching onto Adam Smith's pass and driving into the box before finding the far corner.
    Full report and photographs to follow...
    Stevenage (4-4-1-1) - 1st half: Day; Gray, Ashton, Roberts, Charles; Morais, Dunne, Grant, Freeman; Ajose; Haber.
    2nd half - (4-4-1-1) - Arnold; Shelley, N'Gala, Furlonge, Hills; Marum, `Tansey, Ball, Carr; Shroot; Thalassitis.
    Spurs (4-2-3-1) - 1st half: Cudicini; Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Naughton; Jenas, Livermore; Lennon, Bentley, Pienaar; Kane.
    2nd half - (4-2-3-1) - Friedel; Walker (Smith, 62), Gallas, Vertonghen, Bassong; Jenas (Huddlestone, 62), Carroll; Lennon (Falque, 62), Sigurdsson, Townsend; Kane (Coulibaly, 62).
    Goals: Spurs - Sigurdsson (55), Falque (88).
    Attendance: 5,109.
    Referee: Mr D Deadman.

Game time for Jenas, Bentley and Bassong.
    'suppose thats what preseasin is for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sig's goal was well taken. Hopefully he carries that into the new season.

Who needs Falcao when you've got Falque, eh? :D

Who needs Falcao when you've got Falque, eh? :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Spurs Vs L.A. Galaxy (3:30AM GMT) (Being shown on ESPN3 I believe)

Below is the list of players to available...

Goalkeepers -
    Jordan Archer, Carlo Cudicini, Brad Friedel, Heurelho Gomes

Defenders -
    Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Sebastien Bassong, Michael Dawson, William Gallas, Younes Kaboul, Kyle Naughton, Jan Vertonghen, Kyle Walker, Adam Smith

Midfielders -
    Gareth Bale, David Bentley, Tom Carroll, Tom Huddlestone, Jermaine Jenas, Aaron Lennon, Jake Livermore, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Andros Townsend, Rafael Van der Vaart

Forwards -
    Jermain Defoe, Harry Kane

I'd like to see a starting line-up of something like below, which is a mix of some established players alongside players back from injury/new signings/younger players. Obviously there will be many substitutions made, but I hope we get to see a bit of AVB's tactical stamp on the game.

-Friedel (Or Gomes for the laugh)-
    Naughton---Vert---Dawson---BAE
    Hudd
    Livermore----
    Siggy
    ---Bale
    Kane
    Lennon

Donovan and Beckham won't be available for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

RoboClam wrote: »
    I'd like to see a starting line-up of something like below, which is a mix of some established players alongside players back from injury/new signings/younger players. Obviously there will be many substitutions made, but I hope we get to see a bit of AVB's tactical stamp on the game.

From a purely commercial point of view I think we may see a more senior team starting tonight. Then a more 'experimental' team starting against Liverpool. Then back to a senior starting line-up against the NY Red Bulls next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

RoboClam wrote: »
    Forwards - Jermain Defoe, Harry Kane

:eek::eek::eek:

Dear Daniel,

Please sign some f*cking strikers!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

:eek::eek::eek:

Dear Daniel,

Please sign some f*cking strikers!

Yes ffs. There are rumours abound that Adebayor will not sign for us and we will lose him for next season. So we will be left with Defoe. I was looking forward to the new season but unless we sign at least one more striker, we will be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭larry1

Yes live on ESPN HD from 3.30am. Skybox set... I think I might just have a meeting scheduled for the morning ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

larry1 wrote: »
    Yes live on ESPN HD from 3.30am. Skybox set... I think I might just have a meeting scheduled for the morning ;-)
    also live son spurs tv online,use your voucher code for free season access,Liverpool game also on Saturday@#8pm irish time

Finished 1-1 with a header from Bale.

Not a good match. Walker and VDV had to go off injured too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

watched the second half , cant believe i'm gonna say this but bentley did well when he came on last 15 mins.....i know i know !!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BERBA wrote: »
    but bentley did well when he came on last 15 mins.....i know i know !!!!!!

Bite your tongue...bite it! :pac:

At least the injuries to Walker and VDV are only minor.
    SSN wrote:
    While the return of Bale is an undoubted boost to Tottenham's pre-season plans, the sight of Van der Vaart and Walker hobbling off has offered cause for concern.

Villas-Boas is, however, confident that both men will soon be back in contention.

"I think we are looking at three or four days for both, hopefully," he said.

"Reassessment is always important and I wouldn't like to extend myself without the full knowledge of both injuries.

"But Van der Vaart felt during the week a tightness in his adductor and Kyle twisted slightly his ankle. I think both in three or four days should be back."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7931367/AVB-admits-to-Bale-gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭larry1

Questions being asked of Bale over backing out of Olympics and scoring the goal last Night :D (Video of his goal)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/injured-gareth-bale-scores-spurs-galaxy-olympics-2012-532886-Jul2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

1vmZa.jpg

Looks like he's had an ear tuck done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

BERBA wrote: »
    watched the second half , cant believe i'm gonna say this but bentley did well when he came on last 15 mins.....i know i know !!!!!!

I really didn't think he did well at all.

Tom pinged him two long balls out to him on the left and he wasted both of them. He had a half decent shot with his left that never really troubled the keeper and I don't member him doing anything else good really.

I thought Townsend looked decent. Worked hard, had lots of pace but still a bit raw probably. Hopefully he can keep working and improve.

I don't really understand how we played at all. Carlo must have touched the ball the most. The defenders constantly went back to him because the CMs weren't looking for it at all. Then he had to hoof it long cause they continued not to look for it! Was very frustrating.

And the high line looks scary at times. Simple over the top balls killing us.

I know its only early pre-season and all but hopefully things can improve quickly anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    And the high line looks scary at times. Simple over the top balls killing us.

This was due to Kaboul calling the shots back there. His positional sense isn't the best and he often gets caught ball watching when nobody is keeping him in check.

In this transitional period I think our best pairing is Dawson and Vertonghen (and before anyone pulls the trigger, here's my reasons)....

I think Vetonghen has what's required to be a leader and a very good Tottenham centre back. I think if he had Dawson next to him, he could get comfortable with his surroundings and develop confidence. Once this is attained, I would then bring Kaboul in alongside Vertonghen and have Vertonghen being the 'experienced' one i.e. calling the line.

My fear with Kaboul/Vetonghen being the starting centre back pairing, in this transitional period, is that their confidence could be torn to shreds if they don't gel from the off..... and as I mentioned, if Kaboul is calling the shots back there then I highly doubt things will be rosy for too long.

This was due to Kaboul calling the shots back there. His positional sense isn't the best and he often gets caught ball watching when nobody is keeping him in check.

In this transitional period I think our best pairing is Dawson and Vertonghen (and before anyone pulls the trigger, here's my reasons)....

I think Vetonghen has what's required to be a leader and a very good Tottenham centre back. I think if he had Dawson next to him, he could get comfortable with his surroundings and develop confidence. Once this is attained, I would then bring Kaboul in alongside Vertonghen and have Vertonghen being the 'experienced' one i.e. calling the line.

My fear with Kaboul/Vetonghen being the starting centre back pairing, in this transitional period, is that their confidence could be torn to shreds if they don't gel from the off..... and as I mentioned, if Kaboul is calling the shots back there then I highly doubt things will be rosy for too long.

Hang on till I load my revolver :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Didnt see any of the game last night but I wouldnt be worrying just yet.

Its only his 2nd game with the lads and everything he is saying about both the players match readiness and the team in general is gearing towards the middle of August when the season starts and not the end of July.

Agree with Daws & Vertz aswell. It would be pretty tough to throw the new guy in with a young/inexperienced backline and expect him to slot in straight away.

4 more games and 3 weeks training should be plenty of time to help get his message across to the players though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Transfer Central TNC ‏@TransferNewsCen
    AVB has said Kyle Walker and Van Der Vaart should be back within "3 to 4 days." -Ash

Thank god for that. Kyle really looked hurt, was worried he'd be out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How great is it to have Thudd back :-).
    He's our best CM after Modric and so undervalued it's incredible.

He should be starting with Sandro at the base of the midfield.

It's also great to see Carroll doing well.

We need more homegrown talent in the first team.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Didnt see any of the game last night but I wouldnt be worrying just yet.

Its only his 2nd game with the lads and everything he is saying about both the players match readiness and the team in general is gearing towards the middle of August when the season starts and not the end of July.

Agree with Daws & Vertz aswell. It would be pretty tough to throw the new guy in with a young/inexperienced backline and expect him to slot in straight away.

4 more games and 3 weeks training should be plenty of time to help get his message across to the players though

Well I watched the game and I am worried. AVB tried the high line of defence at Chelsea and it failed miserably. La Galaxy had out a reserve side yet they found it relatively easy to find their way through our defence. Simple balls over the top and they had numerous one on one chances against Cudicini.
    I know Vertonghen and Kaboul hadn't played together before so I expect them to improve. I only hope AVB has learned from his mistakes at Chelsea and will either drop this high line or changes it to suit our players.
    Unfortunately the system suits someone who can read the game well and he has just retired.

Well I watched the game and I am worried. AVB tried the high line of defence at Chelsea and it failed miserably. La Galaxy had out a reserve side yet they found it relatively easy to find their way through our defence. Simple balls over the top and they had numerous one on one chances against Cudicini.
    I know Vertonghen and Kaboul hadn't played together before so I expect them to improve. I only hope AVB has learned from his mistakes at Chelsea and will either drop this high line or changes it to suit our players.
    Unfortunately the system suits someone who can read the game well and he has just retired.

Obviously watching the game helps analyse how things are/are not shaping up but it was only 1 game and only his 2nd game with us.

One thing that has to be said though is that our defence is not the same as chelseas and far more similar to that of his Porto team. The players themselves will need time to adjust to the system and learn how to implement it themselves better.

AVB also needs game time himself to assess which players best fit into his system and also to analyse which players games/mindsets need to be altered in order for his system to succeed

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Obviously watching the game helps analyse how things are/are not shaping up but it was only 1 game and only his 2nd game with us.

One thing that has to be said though is that our defence is not the same as chelseas and far more similar to that of his Porto team. The players themselves will need time to adjust to the system and learn how to implement it themselves better.

AVB also needs game time himself to assess which players best fit into his system and also to analyse which players games/mindsets need to be altered in order for his system to succeed

My problem with AVB is that he took one of the best defenses in the league ( Chelsea) and completely messed it up by trying to implement a style which did not suit. I am not sure that type of defence works well in the Premier league where there's more chance of long balls over the top. Will he adapt his beliefs for our team and the League or is he too stubborn ?
    I agree with you that AVB will need time to assess players and see who fits into his system. But if he gets off to a slow start in the league the pressure will be on him.

• Advertisement

My problem with AVB is that he took one of the best defenses in the league ( Chelsea) and completely messed it up by trying to implement a style which did not suit. I am not sure that type of defence works well in the Premier league where there's more chance of long balls over the top. Will he adapt his beliefs for our team and the League or is he too stubborn ?
    I agree with you that AVB will need time to assess players and see who fits into his system. But if he gets off to a slow start in the league the pressure will be on him.

Absolutely agree with the last point. Im not saying at all that he gets a free 12months to find out what he needs to do. He has a settled and confident squad after all.

However chelseas defence still had quite a bit of containing mourinho about it. I think that a higher line can be successful in the premier league. Not necessarily keeping more clean sheets for us but by putting more pressure on and scoring more goals against the teams who are happy to play in their own half and soak up pressure

Advertisement