Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason Friendlies 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

@all shit journos and rags, owned

The Bale/Olympics nothingness was really bugging me, glad Spurs have laid the hammer down on this so we can get back to being linked with every player under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So AVB complaining over an Adam tackle on Bale, sure Adam can't tackle and actually has a history of woeful tackles against us but why didn't AVB take Bale off as a precaution I really hope he's ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Did anyone see the tackle? Adams is a dirty ****er, so its not surprising, but with the whole "is he injured or not/olympics" deal, i'd say it just pissed off AVB.

Highlights of the game if anyone wants to watch them. Defenders getting caught high up the pitch a few times again, which is a little worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Don't see much fuss about the tackle to be honest. If Bale gets injured it would be ironic given he faked one to get out of the Olympics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

He didn't fake his injury for the Olympics, he was injured that was confirmed by both spurs and the fa/boa, please don't fall for that media witch hunt.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    If Bale gets injured it would be ironic given he faked one to get out of the Olympics.

That's bollox. He was injured, but recovered quicker then originally expected. The press did what they always do, and blew a non-story out of proportion.

As for the tackle, just watched it there. It was bad, but no worse then any other tackle from behind. I'd say he's just slightly pissed at Adams for his previous tackle which ruled him out for over 3 months, and i can understand why.

The "coward" comments are stupid however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I saw the comments before I saw the tackle so I was expecting a lot worse, Bale really went OTT with his comments and I think himself and AVB come across looking very foolish considering Bale stayed on the pitch for another 40 odd minutes.

Mactard wrote: »
    He didn't fake his injury for the Olympics, he was injured that was confirmed by both spurs and the fa/boa, please don't fall for that media witch hunt.

Surely if he recovered that fast he could have easily played the UAE game the other day?

The Olympic team had already been submitted, surely you know that FIFA like their silly regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

flyswatter wrote: »
    Surely if he recovered that fast he could have easily played the UAE game the other day?

Yeah sure why not? All they'd have to do is tell the person who got Bales place in the squad when he wasnt available for selection "Oh Sorry Pal, I know playing in the olympics is a once in a life time oppurtunity and you've changed your off-season plans, missed the start of your clubs pre-season and trained with the GB squad for the last 3 weeks but it turns out that ol' Gareths knee is not as bad as we expected so he's back in and your out. Terribly sorry about that old chap, dont forget to bring your crushed dreams with you on the way out".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Orla99

:pac:
    Yeah sure why not? All they'd have to do is tell the person who got Bales place in the squad when he wasnt available for selection "Oh Sorry Pal, I know playing in the olympics is a once in a life time oppurtunity and you've changed your off-season plans, missed the start of your clubs pre-season and trained with the GB squad for the last 3 weeks but it turns out that ol' Gareths knee is not as bad as we expected so he's back in and your out. Terribly sorry about that old chap, dont forget to bring your crushed dreams with you on the way out".

Ok, seems I was misinformed. We did see the case of Rooney though, who was suspended in the Euros and was included in the squad.

That was where I was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Tottenham LIVE! ‏@TottenhamLIVE
    #thfc XI to play NY Red Bulls: Gomes; Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto; Huddlestone, Livermore; Bentley, Sigurdsson, Lennon; Bale.

Game about to kick off now in a minute on ESPN for any one who doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Warning, make sure you mute the volume, it's very hard on the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    T-b0n3 wrote: »

Warning, make sure you mute the volume, it's very hard on the ears
    Their phrases are gas!

Missed the NY goal.. what was it like?

Bale wearing #9.. wonder will he have that for the season? Squad numbers wont be announced 'til middle of August.

Was the match postponed? That's what it says on bbc.

Nevermind...we won 2-1. Not sure what the bbc website is talking about

Also, we weren't playing a striker? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kiith wrote: »
    Was the match postponed? That's what it says on bbc.

Nevermind...we won 2-1. Not sure what the bbc website is talking about

Also, we weren't playing a striker? :o

Bale played up top in the first half, and we lacked a focal point for our attacks. Kane came on up top after the break and our shape was much better. Gylfi scored a lovely goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Watched the first half last night, started Bale up front with Sigurdsson in behind and it was very ineffective.

Fairly sloppy the first half I thought, particularly Huddlestone, Livermore and Vertonghen.

In the end a goal and assist from Sigurdsson was good!

Commentary is hard work "the attack zone, nice transition from defence to offence, Tim Cahill playing as a holding midfielder"

Good to see old Teemu getting a run out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Shows how hard up we are without a striker.
    We're hardly f**king Spain!

Looking less and less likely that we will re-sign Ade which is very worrying with only a few weeks to go.

Even if we sign 2 strikers now they wont be able to hit the ground running on the opening day of the season as they wont have had pre-season games to gel with the team.

*not amused*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7954214/Oh-Looky-Here-Bale-On-Scoresheet-In-Spurs-Draw

Better highlights here, very clear.

Some great football played as far as I can see. Hud even looked fast! Great finish by Siggy Stardust.

Some good football there. Was a clumsy tackle by Vert on Cahill, but it seemed like it was the only chance they had for the entire game (at least in those highlights). Some nice play overall, and it's good to see that Siggy can cross the ball well. Might actually be threatening from corners/free's this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi lads,

Any of you care to guess your first choice back four for the start of the season? It seems Kaboul and Dawson are fighting to partner Verthongen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Kiith wrote: »
    Some good football there. Was a clumsy tackle by Vert on Cahill, but it seemed like it was the only chance they had for the entire game (at least in those highlights). Some nice play overall, and it's good to see that Siggy can cross the ball well. Might actually be threatening from corners/free's this year.

Yeah Vertonghen's tackle was clumsy alright.

I keep wondering if there is some kinda catch about Siggy. He was so cheap and is such a great finisher. Is the rest of his game awful? Is he gonna be injury prone or inconsistent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Any of you care to guess your first choice back four for the start of the season? It seems Kaboul and Dawson are fighting to partner Verthongen.

Hmmm, I reckon it'll be;

Walker - Kaboul - Gallas - Benny

Gallas has been very good in pre-season and looks fit, plus his experience will be important. The FB's pick themselves but the question remains whether Kaboul/Dawson/Verts starts. I think Verts will be gradually introduced rather than thrown straight in, and I'd hope that AVB sees Kaboul as a better defender than Dawson so it should be as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I forgot to mention - great goal by Gylfi and Verts could easily have seen red in an PL match for that tackle as he stopped a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Very lucky it was only a friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

SuprSi wrote: »
    Hmmm, I reckon it'll be;

Gallas has been very good in pre-season and looks fit, plus his experience will be important. The FB's pick themselves but the question remains whether Kaboul/Dawson/Verts starts. I think Verts will be gradually introduced rather than thrown straight in, and I'd hope that AVB sees Kaboul as a better defender than Dawson so it should be as above.

I don’t see Gallas starting many games, I presume he’ll be used as cover. He’s in the twilight years, he has no pace. Dawson would be my first choice, don’t know squat about Vertonghen? He better be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

SuprSi wrote: »
    Hmmm, I reckon it'll be;

:eek:I can't see Gallas starting many EPL games this season unless were stuck. Maybe a Europa League group game?

I've a feeling he might play Dawson and Kaboul for our opener away to Newcastle and then Vertz in for the West Brom at home.

That said Caulker will be returning from the Olympics and will be eager to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Gallas 4th choice for me, Kaboul a cert, Daws could be a starter v Newc for his physical presence against Ba and Cisse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I agree with Leinstersqspur. Probably Dawson and Kaboul for the Newcastle game. Then from there probably Dawson and Vertonghen for the foreseeable future and then long-term probably Kaboul and Vertonghen (once Vertonghen has developed the required experience to be the leader at the back.)

Advertisement