Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason Friendlies 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Our Europa and League Cup defence will be

Naughton - Kaboul - Caulker - Fryers

Lads,

Anyone know the current situation with Fryers? Is he in or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Disagree mate, Kaboul is the one certainty for me. He was arguably one of our best players last season, and is the one centre half I would currently rely on ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Dawson playing a high line defensive system would be a complete catastrophe, he has no pace and turns like an articulated truck!, a ball in behind him and were in serious trouble.
    He is an honest player, good in the air and great for clearing long balls, but the AVB style will expose his biggest weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If he’s thinking of incorporating a highline then he isn’t going to last very long unless we sign Usain Bolt. Heart attack city watching that. Chelsea were open to attack at any given moment last season against shít opposition. until he did away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Disagree mate, Kaboul is the one certainty for me. He was arguably one of our best players last season, and is the one centre half I would currently rely on ahead of the rest.

Kaboul is physically very good, but he needs an experienced head in next to him. Last season Kaboul was a stand out centre back because he played alongside Gallas, King or Dawson..... they all basically told him what to do. In the LA match, as the experienced centre back, he was found out - I think AVB has realised this. Kaboul can't call a line.

Though I think it's too early for Vertonghen to be shouting the odds too. So that's the only reason I would go with Dawson in there, he'd be able to settle Vertonghen in. Kaboul and Vertonghen are an ideal partnership for a high line, once Vertonghen is calling the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is my reasoning behind selecting Gallas against Newcastle. Dawson and Kaboul are very alike, both very strong in the air, reasonable with the ball at their feet but perhaps not as clever as Gallas. I think Kaboul and Gallas is (for the time being, until Verts is ready) our best CB partnership and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen in 2 weeks time.

Kaboul is physically very good, but he needs an experienced head in next to him. Last season Kaboul was a stand out centre back because he played alongside Gallas, King or Dawson..... they all basically told him what to do. In the LA match, as the experienced centre back, he was found out - I think AVB has realised this. Kaboul can't call a line.

Though I think it's too early for Vertonghen to be shouting the odds too. So that's the only reason I would go with Dawson in there, he'd be able to settle Vertonghen in. Kaboul and Vertonghen are an ideal partnership for a high line, once Vertonghen is calling the shots.

I think your being harsh on Kaboul. I would have agreed 18 months ago but I think he has grown up quite a bit. Yes he can be a bit loose at times, but he has all the attributes you need to be a top centre half which I think he can be for us. In relation to the LA game, I just think it's a bit soon to be saying he can't call the shots, the new style of play is new to them all remember.
    If he's having a mare after 6/7 games, I'll hold my hands up, but for now I'd go with him.

Dawson is very solid, but as soon as he's turned I worry, he'll win headers all day for you though.

As for Vert, he'll hopefully prove a a good signing, him and kaboul will be the regulars for me, despite the fact i said I would play daws/kaboul against newc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

To be honest I haven't seen enough of Vertonghen to know just how good he is, but as regards settling in he has had as much time as the others to learn AVB's system, so he is as settled in as anyone.

I think Kaboul is still a little raw at times but he is learning and he is a great athlete and I think with the right coaching he is ready to become a world class centre half this season.

I love Daws and I think he is a class defender but a high line plays exactly to his weaknesses and ignores his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's a matter of who will be playing alongside Kaboul in the centre of defence next season.

tippspur wrote: »
    It's a matter of who will be playing alongside Kaboul in the centre of defence next season.

Agree completely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kabul is first choice and the other place is up for grabs

Anyone who thinks gallas should be first choice at Newcastle is stark raving mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Caulker looking very good tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Match v Watford line up

Friedel;
    Naughton, Kaboul, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto;
    Jenas, Livermore;
    Carroll, Lennon, Bale;
    Defoe.

Subs Cudicini, Bassong, Dawson, Vertonghen, Walker, Bentley, Huddlestone, Townsend, Sigurdsson, Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Any Streams/links?
    That age old question lol...
    really looking forward to see if we keep improving in every game since Stevenage

Kaboul Captain, No links as far as I can see if you have an account with Spurs TV Online you should be able to get it through there.

I cant seem to get that link to work sadly

defoe 55mins header

AVB post match radio comments where he eludes to us signing one more striker in the next few days/weeks....
    http://m.talksport.co.uk/radio/matchday-live/120805/villas-boas-praises-spurs-youngster-carroll-178003

I've a feeling Gomes will get the No.1 shirt....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a feeling Gomes will get the No.1 shirt....

cop-out-nope.gif

Ben Pearce was chatting to AVB yesterday he's hopping to sign a new striker this week. But said we won't be rushed into making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Ben Pearce was chatting to AVB yesterday he's hopping to sign a new striker this week. But said we won't be rushed into making a mistake.

That's nonsense. If I was going to make a mistake I'd rather rush it. It would be embarrassing if I took ages and then made the mistake.

stolen from a facebook fan page:

Leandro Damião's agent: "I am here in England & there may well be a new offer from Tottenham for Damião, but nothing is official yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

davycc wrote: »
    stolen from a facebook fan page:

Leandro Damião's agent: "I am here in England & there may well be a new offer from Tottenham for Damião, but nothing is official yet."

Please God let there be something in this. Its an embarassement that we are going into the opening weak of the EPL with 1 experienced striker.

Valencia v Spurs live on Spurs TV @ 9pm.... Shame we don't have Sandro and GDS back yet..

Valencia v Spurs live on Spurs TV @ 9pm.... Shame we don't have Sandro and GDS back yet..
    Any idea what station?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Any idea what station?

Don't think it's actually on tv mate, you get it free on spurs tv if you are a bronze member etc..

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

I think it got pulled off ESPN schedule due to the Liverpool EL game. I'd say you might get a stream on wiziwig.tv

Advertisement