Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason Friendlies 2012

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Parker had surgery and will be back end of sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Friedel,
    Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto,
    Jenas, Livermore,
    ----Lennon, Sigurdsson, Bale,
    Defoe

Figured this would be our strongest team starting surprised to see Gallas and Jenas starting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Looks like a good team.... And jenas....

Valencia winning 1-0against the run of play we have been well on top so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Vertonghen has super ball control....

Need a striker quick!

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    Looks like a good team.... And jenas....

Yep, I can confirm Jenas is pants!

Vertoghen has looked great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Is VdeV injured?

1-0 down at half time... Not a bad performance, 55% possession but little in the way of attack with Defoe being very ineffective....

Gallas having trouble with pressing/high line and have to say Friedel might struggle in this sweeper keeper role...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

valencia 2-0. excellent finish from valencia player

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

High line costing us again though, with the defenders not getting back quick enough.

I'm kind of worried about this...

Ya Valencia on top since the break need to get Kane on to hold the ball up better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Defoe needs to do a hell of a lot better then that when he gets a chance. Weak attempt.

Crap tonight, badly need strikers, broken record I know...

Lovely through ball by Kane when he came on, absolutely wasted by Defoe...

We could have shared the spoils if we had a decent striker..

Not worried, yet;)

Gio out of the Olympic final with injury, gutted for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

didnt like the look of that formation at all. We looked lost, at one stage 3 forward players had pushed up and it got passed out between two of their defenders and all of a sudden we were outnumbered. High line really bothers me too. and of course the obv need a striker and to get sandro back in team till Parker is ok and let him have a rest then.

Mullo76 wrote: »
    didnt like the look of that formation at all. We looked lost, at one stage 3 forward players had pushed up and it got passed out between two of their defenders and all of a sudden we were outnumbered. High line really bothers me too. and of course the obv need a striker and to get sandro back in team till Parker is ok and let him have a rest then.

Yeah the high line will take a lot of getting used to and some heart stopping moments no doubt. Newcastle away is getting harder by the day with no strikers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Not sure what to make of this high-line tactic.

Obviously it has worked for AVB in the past so he's not going to abandon it just because of what happened in 3 or 4 pre-season friendlies.

We may get use to the idea of having it and that it will be a work in progress for the next season. That means some heart attack inducing defending and probably alot of inconsistent results.

The question is - will AVB get the time he needs to implement this tactic, and if so how long will that take?

He can only work with the players available to him and while some players will be able to adapt their game to suit his - others simply will not, so its back to the transfer market for suitable players but if they are not available to us, what next?

If we start conceding more goals then usual while we adapt that means we need to out-score the opposition to get results and with the current stiker situation I'm worried about next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm not worried about the high line at all, it's going to take time to get used to... that's all.

Last night Valencia were playing the way AVB wants Spurs to play. Every time their keeper got the ball the full backs pushed up, the two centre halves pushed wide and the deep lying midfielder dropped back between the two centre halves and picked up the ball. It happened instantaneously without anyone having to think. The same with the attackers pressing high up the pitch. And the same with how the defensive unit (high line) reacted to different situations when the other team were in possession. Valencia have been playing that game for years. We've only been doing it for six matches..... and with a load of players who probably won't start this season. I'd say we won't have it perfected until at least Christmas.... that's why AVB has a three year plan instead of a one year plan.

In order to achieve success we have to trust in a manager who wants to make big changes. We haven't won a major trophy since 1991, so I am willing to afford him that time.

• Advertisement

I actually thought we were much improved under the high line Vertoghen was brilliant I thought.

I'm not worried about the high line at all, it's going to take time to get used to... that's all.

I'd say we won't have it perfected until at least Christmas.... that's why AVB has a three year plan instead of a one year plan.

I'm looking forward to playing with a high line but I'm worried about how long it will take to get it right and the results that will be inccurred while getting there. It might be a case of taking a step backwards before we move forwards and I hope AVB is giving the time to do this...

These International friendlies are a joke! Sandro heading to Sweden, Caulker, Walker, Livermore and Defoe off to Switzerland....

These International friendlies are a joke! Sandro heading to Sweden, Caulker, Walker, Livermore and Defoe off to Switzerland....

crazy timing alright.

Nice goal by Jermaine tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yeah,some strike.

sandro didn't play tonight thankfully

Bale taken off as a precaution :rolleyes:

Seems like we've come through unharmed.
    And Defoe scored a goal.
    Could he be about to prove all the doubters (myself included) wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement