Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what moment did you feel old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

when a secondary school friend pointed out that we've lived 'away' from home for longer than we did at home .....its a long long way from here to clare...well an hours drive at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

When someone on the radio announced Madonna's "Like a Virgin" as "a really old, but good, song"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

efb wrote: »
    Turning 30- I don't feel old- but I do feel far more grown up.

In my twenties you'd look at some kids tv and get it- now I'm not even registering the humour.

Two day hangovers- and you only had a few. No desire to go out drinking when you have work in the morning.

Saving for, applying for, and getting a mortgage- just need to seal the deal.

Almost all of your friends have kids

Prefer going out for a meal than going drinking.

If this is your 30's - what's your 40's like?

Exactly the same. Only you're likely to discover your first grey hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Im 31, I do feel a tad grown up, more so than i did a few years ago. Only a few mins ago i was thinkin that "i must cut the grass after work"

Years ago would have spent thursday arranging pills for the weekend! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When i was turning 30 i felt really old - now i'm almost hitting 40 and i feel (and act) like a teenager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

lazygal wrote: »
    When I read this thread and could remember the 100 times its been done before.

When I read this comment and could remember that there's always one who feels the need to point out that this thread was done before. Big deal, don't read it, you're not doing society a favour by pointing it out.

I knew I was old when one of my students told me about creeping on facebook and I asked what it was and he replied 'Ah it's something only young people do Miss' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

When filling in online forms ye have to scroll to find your birth year :(

Im 25 on my next birthday but so many if my friends have kids and a fair few are married/ planning a wedding.

I have sciatica and patellar tendonopathy - knowing going for a run will leave me limping makes me feel the oldest of all.

I also need a lot more sleep now than I ever did. Naps during the day are amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Was in a meeting with a guy who looked 60 - I, the smartarse, said, in deference to his age and erudition .............

"Well, you probably have a few years on me, and you'll have seen this before"

Turns out we are the same age, 36.

Mother of God. Do people look at me and think the same???!?

This.
    I get that feeling as well.
    It's not nice.
    But thankfully (i think?) I look a bit younger than my age so maybe i'll get away with it for another few years.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

When you find yourself attending more funerals than weddings and christenings!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

20 year anniversaries of the first albums you ever bought.
    And the re-issues of those recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Need to address the slouch cos when that sciatia hits it'll drive it home.. as yer probably experiencing so get something firm. Rolled up towel even to prop you up along your spine when sitting down this learn ya.. seems to have sorted me out for the time being anyhow

This. Sciatica has to be the worst pain I've ever had. Try getting up from sitting down without ooohing and aahhing. I usually have to walk bent over for a few seconds before I can straighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm 26, I'm not that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Feeling old is all relative to your company. Some people confuse old with no longer having the craic.
    Lads on my team in their late 30s and early 20s. There's really not much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I always thought 21 was the 'cut of point',the point where you become an adult.

When i reached 21,23 became the 'cut of point'.

When i reached 23,25 became the 'cut of point'.

Now i use 30 as the 'cut of point'.

Im pretty sure im never going to reach my cut of point.I dont actually mind getting older as one thing ive noticed with plenty of family members is when they hit 40s,50s they seem to become mellow and relaxed and seem to enjoy life.

The only thing i hate about getting older is that there's so much i want to see and do but i just don't have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

when the 21st invites disappear and the 30th and wedding invites start to grow.....

was driving past a local sports club last week and there was teenagers everywhere waiting to go into an underage disco and while looking at one of the girls in a TINY outfit, heard myself saying "she'll have a kidney infection in the morning" seeing another girl sitting on the ground and saying "she'll catch her death"
    :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Has 'keeping a piece of wood for stirring paint' been mentioned yet?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

When I read text speak :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When Woodies gave me seniors discount without asking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Rather morose, but as of February, when I no longer had any grandparents left :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When I hear that athletes my age are considered over the hill and ready to retire :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When I started saying things to my niece and nephews that me Ma & Da used to say to me:

"Get down off that wall, you'll kill yourself!"

"Don't go out there without your hat and coat on you!"

"I'll take them sweets back if you're not gonna behave yourself!"

:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

aujopimur wrote: »
    When Woodies gave me seniors discount without asking.

When seniors gave me a woody without asking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

When you realise the Playstation is 18 yrs old this year.

And its 17 years since Cantona kungfu kicked that fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

When you get anti-wrinkle cream for presents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I fainted in the dental surgery. :o

This morning. :eek:

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    When you realise the Playstation is 18 yrs old this year.

And its 17 years since Cantona kungfu kicked that fan

Yeah was watching Premiership years on Sky last Sunday and the earlier ones really made me feel old!

What made it worse was I started thinking back to before Sky had the football coverage and I began wondering what ever happened to this guy

http://mkingdon.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/eltom-welsby.jpg

Boy did I feel old! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cobear

When I realised that I'm nearly 4 times older than my cousin..and I'm still only 19! I'll just be starting a midlife crisis at 40 and he'll still only be 26 :(

cobear wrote: »
    When I realised that I'm nearly 4 times older than my cousin..and I'm still only 19! I'll just be starting a midlife crisis at 40 and he'll still only be 26 :(

19???
    Get out of here ya cheeky pup :mad:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Mary Black song came on the radio while back, I said to my eleven year old, I used to love listening to her music when I was younger. My eleven year old says "is she still alive?":eek:. I'm only bloody 40!!! :D

I also felt old when my kids started going to the school I went to and being taught by my old teachers - although I imagine that probably made the teachers feel older than I did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The first time I was at the barbers and the bloke asked did I want my eyebrows trimmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

When the supermarket asked me for ID for drink and i thought they were taking the p*ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Overheard at a club.
    "I should bring me ma to this place but she might feel a bit too old"
    "Ahhh no worries, look at that oul fecker over there, he's as old as yer grandma"
    Pft, see if I ever stalk those two now.

Also: Shameless plug for the Oulwans & Oulfellas forum. Sure it's great for the craic and the moans and begrudgin' and lollygaggin' and laughin' at the youngsters.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When I found myself thumbing through the Argos catalogue and thinking how handy some of the gardening equipment would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kfallon wrote: »
    When I started saying things to my niece and nephews that me Ma & Da used to say to me:

"Get down off that wall, you'll kill yourself!"

"Don't go out there without your hat and coat on you!"

"I'll take them sweets back if you're not gonna behave yourself!"

ye dirty fecker:pac:

another reason i feel old is when i think that ocarina of time is 14 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

First grey pube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OldGoat wrote: »
    Overheard at a club.
    "I should bring me ma to this place but she might feel a bit too old"
    "Ahhh no worries, look at that oul fecker over there, he's as old as yer grandma"
    Pft, see if I ever stalk those two now.

Also: Shameless plug for the Oulwans & Oulfellas forum. Sure it's great for the craic and the moans and begrudgin' and lollygaggin' and laughin' at the youngsters.

Ah here, we feel old, but not that old :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You'll all be mine eventually. /manic laughter

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ah here, we feel old, but not that old :p

OI you pup :mad:

I'm 25. When my niece is 25 I'll be having my 50th. Ill be doing some real dad dancing by then. Hopefully I'll be able to pull one of her mates after the 50 kisses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm 25. When my niece is 25 I'll be having my 50th. Ill be doing some real dad dancing by then. Hopefully I'll be able to pull one of her mates after the 50 kisses.

No Teddy! That will make you a durty aul man!!!!

I'm 25. When my niece is 25 I'll be having my 50th. Ill be doing some real dad dancing by then. Hopefully I'll be able to pull myself off when I get home to one of her mates after the 50 kisses.

FYP! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

lazygal wrote: »
    When I read this thread and could remember the 100 times its been done before.

I believe a stick for stirring paint and/or keeping an old pair of shoes for gardening are the correct old stage of life.

Did u get get 12 thank yous the last time you said it ,as well ? : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When sweets you had has a child are now 'retro'.

When you had the actual original of the 'Adidas Originals' tracksuit top that all the young whippersnappers are wearing these days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

My niece doesn't believe that you used to get toys in breakfast cereal!!!!!

Chucken wrote: »

No Teddy! That will make you a durty aul man!!!!
    Maybe I'll just stick to the dad dancing in a big circle then. All us oldlies by then will be going and for the classics such as nicki minaj :p

syndeyfife wrote: »
    My niece doesn't believe that you used to get toys in breakfast cereal!!!!!

The Kellogs toy vans you had to send tokens away for....oh the excitement when they arrived in the post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Dated a girl 1000 years ago or so that I met at the place I was working. She was coming off a breakup with a guy who was supposedly a real obnoxious bad ass prick.

Found she was 26 which my 36 year old brain decided was A-OK since she was hot. :rolleyes:

Romance lasted about 3 months. Last day together was a cancelled date which my wisdom, coming out of it's slumber, decided was BS. So I went over, rang the bell & was told to come back later. Told her I was here to pick up my stuff & wasn't going anywhere.

Reluctantly the door open with her begging no trouble as I walked in. I was confronted by 'Arnold', who was about 7 " taller than me but I was a lot wider/meaner.

I said: Don't worry, babe, 'Arnie' & me are going to get on famously, aren't we, Arnie?

He asked: What do you want???

I answered: My stuff...

He answered: Move your ass & get it done fast!

I leaned in & answered (in my slightly inebriated state): Sit your ass down & show some manners, Son. I'll get out when I'm GD good & ready...

He immediately sat on a chair behind him as I strutted to the bedroom to get my stuff...

Then, behind me...in a quiet whispered voice, barely heard: Anything you say, Pops...

I believe I heard my testosterone die a little that day....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

When family members are talking to other family members about me and say "she's in her mid twenties"....and when people remind me I'm almost half way to 50...thanks for that my dear friends/family!

Advertisement