Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what moment did you feel old?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

when a girl says to you you're in mid twenties and dont know what you want in life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

scamalert wrote: »
    when a girl says to you you're in mid twenties and dont know what you want in life :(

Psh, plenty of girls out there in their mid twenties that haven't got a clue either! I don't think I'll know for a long time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

scamalert wrote: »
    scdublin wrote: »
    Psh, plenty of girls out there in their mid twenties that haven't got a clue either! I don't think I'll know for a long time....

Long time since I had to point this out to the youngsters:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I always thought 21 was the 'cut of point',the point where you become an adult.

When i reached 21,23 became the 'cut of point'.

When i reached 23,25 became the 'cut of point'.

Now i use 30 as the 'cut of point'.

Im pretty sure im never going to reach my cut of point.I dont actually mind getting older as one thing ive noticed with plenty of family members is when they hit 40s,50s they seem to become mellow and relaxed and seem to enjoy life.

The only thing i hate about getting older is that there's so much i want to see and do but i just don't have the money.

What does the cut off point mean?

To me you're not old until about 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

When I picked up the latest 'Now' CD and hadn't a clue who over half of the people were on it.

• Advertisement

How can anyone be so deluded to think they are old when they haven't even hit the half way point of average life expectancy.

It's like a 5 ft 4 man claiming he is tall. Morons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That depends, my dad is 62 and fighting fit. I don't think of him as old.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

That depends, my dad is 62 and fighting fit. I don't think of him as old.

Being old is measured by how long you have been alive, health doesn't come into it.

a bit off topic motivational video but skip to 3.25 if you dont want to listen to the rest :) that's when you get old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

When Bananas in Pajamas stopped being funny. It was a sad sad day. Lost a great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am I the only one who, when turned 25 ... was actually the first time i felt "old" and proceed to question what I did with my life on my birthday :P

Same thing happened to another guy I know when he turned 25.

Chucken wrote: »
    Long time since I had to point this out to the youngsters:

Lol I'm old enough to remember that one....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Being old is measured by how long you have been alive, health doesn't come into it.

The question from the OP was about feeling old so health and fitness probably does come into it

How can anyone be so deluded to think they are old when they haven't even hit the half way point of average life expectancy.

Why so angry about it? The thread is named "at moment did you feel old"...you can't judge other people for how they feel about their age

Am I the only one who, when turned 25 ... was actually the first time i felt "old" and proceed to question what I did with my life on my birthday :P

Same thing happened to another guy I know when he turned 25.

It's definitely the mid twenties thing....it seems to hit a lot of people!

Why so angry about it? The thread is named "at moment did you feel old"...you can't judge other people for how they feel about their age

I'm not angry, if you realise you couldn't possibly be old if you aren't even close to halfway of you projected lifespan, I don't think you can feel old, just unhealthy or uncool. I think that's what young people's real fear is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Walked past a group of spanish students hanging around last weekend. Came back past the same spot about an hour later, rubbish and McDonalds bags everywhere. We started tutting about the state of the place, then realised how old we sounded.

Though a couple of weeks ago I was loading the shopping into the car, and a guy in his fifties cycling by said, "Young man! What's the time please?". Felt like I was about 19 again to be called "Young man". Then I remembered I was loading groceries into the boot of a Renault Scenic. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When I first met a boy I used to babysit in a pub - and he was there legally! A few years later then finding out that his sweet baby brother who used to sit in my lap and play with my hair...was about to become a daddy :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm too young to feel old... :pac:

It's definitely the mid twenties thing....it seems to hit a lot of people!
    Its like a landmark where you realize that you approached point 1 in life,and how fast it all went,as after point two 50years theres,a down hill road ahead,some call it mid life crisis,some dont notice it,some do and so on.

• Advertisement

^That's what it is....how fast the whole childhood/teenage years went! And you know in no time you'll be 30 since 20 felt like it was only a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

When I'm the 'man' who the mother of a bratty child is going to get and give out to said child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

The Spanish here have a completely different idea to what constitutes to young and old. You're still officially young 'till your 35. When they talk about the unemployment rates among "young people" in Spain, they're referring to people from the ages of 26 to 35 and not 18 to 24 like I presumed.

People don't graduate until their late 20s, don't leave home 'till their early to mid-30s, people don't die until their 80s and most of my students have grandparents alive into their 90s and it's not a big deal. So the whole growing up process is basically 10 years behind Ireland. It's deadly in many respects (although in some ways I don't like it).

You see groups of people in their 30s hanging out with each other like they were students in their early 20s. It's pretty mad.

I'm often referred to as "Jovencita" or "Joven" which means " young wan" in Spanish. I think I look my age by the way but that isn't the point because at 32 years old, I AM young. Woohoo!

I feel "old" when I go home to Ireland and see most of my friends with kids and husbands. We graduate sooner and settle down younger and I think these things can make you feel "old" or I should say more "grown up".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So many moments...

When I got my first Credit Card aged 18

When I switched to billpay on my phone

But the oldest has to be talking about the new Dublin-Galway road and how quick it is to get to Galway these days. Traffic talk is the ultimate old moment for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Piste wrote: »
    So many moments...

When I got my first Credit Card aged 18

When I switched to billpay on my phone

But the oldest has to be talking about the new Dublin-Galway road and how quick it is to get to Galway these days. Traffic talk is the ultimate old moment for me.

That sounds more like becoming an adult than feeling old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I realised nobody knows what a divan is anymore :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

You know you're old when you start making your year of birth private on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

When I saw the last harry potter at the cinema :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

The other day a young person came across a typewriter and asked my in all seriousness 'what is that?' to which I told them. There reply? Is it like a musical keyboard?! Come on surely I am not that old?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The other day a young person came across a typewriter and asked my in all seriousness 'what is that?' to which I told them. There reply? Is it like a musical keyboard?! Come on surely I am not that old?! :eek:

ROFL

LMAO

You're as old as FUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Children on my road where I live - I remember them as children anyay - are out drinking and sitting their Leaving Certs.

God that made me feel old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Piste wrote: »

Just wait until the words 'mortgage' and 'insurance' start popping up in conversations. Fun times.
    bren2001 wrote: »
    When Bananas in Pajamas stopped being funny. It was a sad sad day. Lost a great show.

Yeah the writing has gone way downhill in that show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Gott wrote: »
    Children on my road where I live - I remember them as children anyay - are out drinking and sitting their Leaving Certs.

God that made me feel old

Nothing worse than that! When I go home every few months I'd go up the local for a few pints and some of the young fellas in there I can't believe they're old enough to drink now. Sometimes I feel like saying, "I remember when you used to run up and down the road with a big snotty nose on ya!" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

when my mam stopped buying me my clothes and I had to go clothes shopping myself - I thought people said turning 21 was fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

When i saw that look on my daughters face for the first time, she didnt say anything but I knew... I remember it myself, thinking my parents were sooooo old, out of touch and haddent a clue :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

nbar12 wrote: »
    when my mam stopped buying me my clothes and I had to go clothes shopping myself - I thought people said turning 21 was fun :(

Please tell me you got the '2' and the '1' the wrong way around :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When i was 30 and had some really bad hangovers i'd think ; This is how a person feels at a hundred or getting out of my bed i'd think : This feels like getting out of my grave for judgement at the final day before dispatch and it was'nt funny at all....on all fours to the off-license for a bottle ...almost !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

When I bought a dish washer

Obviously not married then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

kfallon wrote: »
    The Kellogs toy vans you had to send tokens away for....oh the excitement when they arrived in the post! :D

I remember getting the entire collection of Thunderbirds vehicles sent away for. Made of metal too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Obviously not married then!

Being married means more dirty dishes, so more need for a dishwasher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

When the mere sight of a teenager started to annoy me.

1. The way they cross the road slowly like they own it.
    2. Their complete lack of acknowledgment for anybody else when standing on footpaths.
    3. The way they feel the need to shout everything (esp in confined areas)
    4. When they are on buses and listen to their rubbish music on speaker.

The day I said 'I hate teenagers' was the day I felt old' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Going to a games shop and being at least 10 years older than the next oldest person there.
    Going (solo) to the wedding of my nephews who I used to babysit when they were just babies.
    Discovering I have a compulsive need to ridicule anyone who does anything remotely out-of-the-norm (that's not much 'age' as 'being Irish').
    Realising I'm older than John Hayes (that one hurt).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

When I started getting 2 day hangovers:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm 34, but I was checking out a girl in the street the other day and I thought she was a "sexy auld one".
    But when I thought about it, she's probably the same age as me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

When I went out for a meal and ordered the cheese course off the dessert menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Today I saw an ad on tv for Now 82. I remember buying now 28. I feel old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I remember getting Now! 6. :)

To answer the question: when I started getting really f'ucking irritated by young people - anyone up to their late 20s for me, which is pretty cantankerous seeing as I'm only a few years older. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The answer to this for a lot of people is...when they started watching the news or and wondering how the budge.t is going to affect them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When my back started creaking during sex:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

When footballers started being younger than me.[/QUOTE]

and some managers:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement