Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what moment did you feel old?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

When I was checking out women on a night out and the first thing I would look for was a wedding ring on their finger.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

When I catch myself saying things to the kids that may parents said to me.
    When getting up from lying on the ground takes a little bit of planning.
    When the hangovers hit the 2 day mark.
    When I found myself hating teenagers.
    When I find the cinema too loud sometimes.
    When I chose my new car based on economy and comfort.
    When I said 'thats not a knife, thats a knife' to a co worker in the canteen, and they backed out the door slowly.

Most recently, when I noticed my join date on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

She wasn't correct. It is scummy. I don't see what basic manners has to do with age.

As for feeling old, it was probably when I got my first grey hair. I think I was 21 or 22. It took another few years to get another one. I'm 36 now and they're still not too noticeable but I see new grey hairs developing at a faster rate then before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Very recently I was talking to a friend about old haunts and he mentioned a place we used to go in our late teens. 'Sure that was 20 years ago' I said.

I died a little that day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

age? im not into it , i just dont have time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Acacia wrote: »
    That came into my head when I first heard skrillex. just didn't see the appeal at all, and realised what I think of as ''teenage music'' is actually old now...

Skrillex? Who??? Ah, I'm getting old ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

My reaction when the recent madness at Swedish House Mafia in the Phoenix Park happened. I had to pass by the crowds waiting to get in to get a train and rather than feeling jealous or that they looked like they were having the craic I remember thinking how young they all were and how inappriopriately dressed the girls were and how disgustingly drunk they all were so early in the afternoon.

Add to this the fact that I was also on my out for the night....to the Phantom of the Opera and was really looking forward to it!

Also when I was in a club not so long ago and a great 90s song came on (which one escapes me now) and there was a group of 18 year olds near us who hadn't a clue what it was.

I just though ' my god I must be old!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

When I had to ask my younger cousin what totes?? meant...I'm only 26 ffs!! :s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

When I went to my cousins wedding and I met their kids who are 32. Last time I remember them they were just married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

BornToKill wrote: »
    Skrillex? Who??? Ah, I'm getting old ...

Dubstep, man. Get with the times! :p:p:p

Just joking! I've only barely heard a couple of his songs ( don't know if they deserve that title, tbh!). You're not missing anything!

Although, he's probably not even cool anymore, damn trendy kids move so fast these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

LOL

I had a ongoing casual thing going with a very attractive Dutch girl and at the end a night in the Brazen Head she asked" well would you like to come back for a coffee", which was usually the cue for sex. And I said in a total non chalant way, "nah I am not in the humour I just want an early night, see ya next week" it was only in the taxi home I realised. I was in shock.

Next week I did see her and she blanked me, LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Felt old when my son pulled in to the driveway in his first car. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

When I mentioned a blanket blank cheque book and pen and no one knew what it was...
    Or when I said "What do points make...?" and no one had a clue.
    Or the silence and strange looks you get when you yell.
    Crackerjack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Today someone on the Oasis v Blur thread referred to the concerts Oasis played in Pairc Ui Chaoimh......the second one was the day I got my Leaving Cert results, that was 16 years ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

When my 30-year-old friend said he wouldn't go higher in age then 25 in a woman, as they're still perky up to that age. I'm 28. I'm attached, so it's not that, it's more the realisation that I'm heading over that hill. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

When I found myself watching Oireachtas Report more and more...I am 23 WTF?

I made myself stop before I create a problem, I do enjoy the rare argument/shouting contest on it though. I am just waiting for the day there is a scrap between two knobhead politicians on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hersheys wrote: »
    Today I saw an ad on tv for Now 82. I remember buying now 28. I feel old.

I have now that's what I call music

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joggypants

When I need a nap during the day! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

I'm 20 with a ten year Old brother...I feel old everyday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

FeelIng old now, 27, at the Galway races and everyone I used to meet is gone abroad. Fair play to the college crowd though, they're making it a party. Missing all the old crew though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

When I found myself banging on my kitchen window yelling at kids to get out of my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

When I realised I was hitting 19 in two weeks, college...
    Not bad, but ya know... ;L

Otherwise, when my brother kindly pointed out he could see a grey hair. I sweaarr to god it wasn't, a blonde one definitely, just a trick of the light? :/:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Dubstep, man. Get with the times! :p:p:p

Just joking! I've only barely heard a couple of his songs ( don't know if they deserve that title, tbh!). You're not missing anything!

Although, he's probably not even cool anymore, damn trendy kids move so fast these days.

This is what us youngens is getting down to these days. :cool:

And for fun, we give each other wet willys. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Sea Filly wrote: »
    When my 30-year-old friend said he wouldn't go higher in age then 25 in a woman
    When I realised I was hitting 19 in two weeks, college
    When I facepalm at sh1t like the above. Oh wait, that's not realisation of me being "old", that's just logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Also- "I used to be with it. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what is 'it' seems new and scary to me... it'll happen to you!" That came into my head when I first heard skrillex. just didn't see the appeal at all, and realised what I think of as ''teenage music'' is actually old now... :(

Only partly agree. Skrillex seems to be the big thing for quite a few kids 21 and under, but I can hand on heart say that if I was 17 today there is not a hope in hell I would be listening to that garbage. Dont get me wrong, I listened to a fair load of cheesey Eurodance and Scooter back in the day, but I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt I would have never listened to this muppet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

when they gave me a walking stick

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Stood at a nightclub bar in Camden, I must have been 10 years older than everyone else... I only recognised 1 song in the place all night, and that was when they had ironically played Madness.

I'm 33 and now happy to admit that I just want to go out to somewhere with real glasses, somewhere to sit down and a jukebox that hasn't been updated since 1999 (with occasional exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

When I began having to take responsibility for my actions:rolleyes: Or when my younger sibling asked me did I go on the Titanic:confused: ... I'm only in my twenties:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You know something is wrong when a 16 year old tells you that you're too old to be in a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When I bumped into my little cousin that I used to baby sit in the nightclub.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Guns n Roses was the band everyone was crazy about back in my day; could air guitar all their songs: that was new music back then the type upstarts and devil worshipers listened to. See teenagers with GNR tee shirts on but too old to run over slide on my knees and yell Take Me down to the paradise city... Would ruin the suit trousers

When I look at my T shirt from Slane '92, and think F**k!, that was 20 years ago:eek:
    Looking at my eldest daughter, she's the same age now as when I got pregnant with her.
    When I play 80s music, and my daughters look at me in disgust:(
    When I say "Whisht up!", to the kids when I can't hear the news, just like my Dad used to say to me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My birthday is in October. I'll be 27. 27!. I don't actually know how that happened. Last thing I remember I was a teenager. Before I know it that 2 will be a 3. Terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

This morning. I've started to get hangovers recently and I really feel like I am 100 years old ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

73Cat wrote: »
    When I play 80s music, and my daughters look at me in disgust:(

Disown them, immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Blondini wrote: »
    This morning. I've started to get hangovers recently and I really feel like I am 100 years old ....
    They don't get easier only worse.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When i started to shave regularly and i could'nt join the local youth club and i've never thought of myself as young after that .Fierce old at twenty .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

It's my birthday today. Woke up feeling old! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

When Fr xxxx let me go straight home after serving mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Realising a few weeks ago that Jurassic Park came out 20 years ago...that killed me! Especially since I still watch it and think it looks the business:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Sitting up waiting for my oldest kids to come in from the pub :(

Becoming a great aunt

Thinking to myself that I'm too young for these things because I'm not even 40 yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

When the junior infant children you minded in primary school (6th class children minded the younger kids at lunchtime in my primary school) are out drinking in the pubs at the weekends with their girlfriends or boyfriends. God damn I realised how I have aged last Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the odd gray pube = game over basically

Had a transition year student in work a few months back. Showing him around the lab and he points to my radio which has a tape deck, and goes "WOW! I've never seen one of those before!! Do you out actual tapes in it?!".

It was a sad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

samina wrote: »
    Sitting up waiting for my oldest kids to come in from the pub :(

Becoming a great aunt

Thinking to myself that I'm too young for these things because I'm not even 40 yet

Are they home? :(

Advertisement