Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Dingle Railway.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishrail201

Projects like this in Tralee have a habit of being all hype at the start but the long term outcome is a different story.

for the better or worse?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

for the better or worse?? :)

Often for the worse,but i hope this one does well.
    Heritage in Ireland is not what Heritage is in England. Im involved in the classic car scene, and though many people have classic cars very few are actually true enthusiasts interested in the history of and preserving the Motoring heritage of the country.

More information and a website would be a good start for people to see what all this is about. Im all for heritage preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishrail201

I do wish it well too! I have after all set up a facebok group page now updated www.facebook.com/groups/traleeanddinglesteamrailway now at 230 members, and a tempoarary web page www.traleesteamrailway.webs.com I was after all trying to aid the famous KMRA and this was accepted as such (due to pressure from locals) but haven't heard from them (him) in over a month which I think is a bit harsh.

Irish railway heritage usually ends up in a bad way, I hope this is not the case, after all I was (and am still willing) to aid them.

I think to ignore a group of people 230 strong who have an interest in seeing the line reopened and want an active part in its renewal says a lot to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Anyone with an interest in the Tralee - Dingle Steam Engine check out this weeks Kerryman newspaper. There is an obituary for Peter Levy, a former journalist with The Kerryman, who was highly influential in sourcing the orginal engine from America and bringing it back to Tralee in the late 80's.

A true railway fanatic, he was said to be very dissilusioned at the way the project he invested so much time and energy in had been so badly neglected of late, especially given the potential it once had.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

could anyone maby post a few photos of many some of the remaining trackbed of the old route. It would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 simonstarr

Afternoon chaps. Thought you might like to see this if you've not seen it yet. Unless you are interested in Iona (no reason why you shouldn't be) the interesting bit is at about 8:50 mins in.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10169721/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

simonstarr wrote: »
    Afternoon chaps. Thought you might like to see this if you've not seen it yet. Unless you are interested in Iona (no reason why you shouldn't be) the interesting bit is at about 8:50 mins in.

Afternoon we do appricate this video. Its a great vidoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

simonstarr wrote: »

Thank you for that Simon.
    Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

This is more out of curiosity than anything else, but is anybody considering converting at least part of the railway into a cycleway like the Great Southern Trail in west Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Sort of relevant to this thread.
    - KVV&CCC Classic car run next Sunday 25th Aug.
    Gather at Blennerville Windmill Tralee at 11:30am, set off at 12 noon tracing the route of the old North Kerry rail line , Finishing at Lartigue Museum Listowel. All welcome, should be an interesting run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement