Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in retail

• 18-07-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Just relieved today to finish work as I now have a full week off! But it got me thinking of how difficult it is working in retail and if anyone had any funny/interesting stories to share?

Comments

I worked in customer service before and some woman bought a slow cooker. She tried to bring it back initially saying she hadn't opened it, when I opened it it had clearly been used (it had dried food on it) so she then said she'd like to return it because it took too long to heat up....

Another woman bought a laptop and it had to be repaired after 6 months with a faulty hard drive, she went mental when she got it back from repair because I refused to say that it would definitely NEVER have a problem EVER again.

You lose faith in humanity working in retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I sold this guy a jacket once and he came back a few days later as it didn't him. hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I sold this guy a jacket once and he came back a few days later as it didn't him. hahaha
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cries of Retail thread, funniest thread on boards by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I sold this guy a jacket once and he came back a few days later as it didn't ' ' him. hahaha

I think you a forgot a ' ' by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Yup definitely! Check out the Ranting & Raving forum OP, it's class.

Edit: forgot that it's private. You'll need to PM one of the mods (dr.bollocko, Fluorescence, Handsome Bob, keefg) for access

Hope you told him to go himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Today a woman bought a stamp off me and came back about 30 minutes later asking me to lick it and put it on her letter. I quickly did it and threw it in the post bag and she started screaming at me saying I didn't lick the stamp and I had to search through the entire mail bag to find the letter to prove to her that I did.
    From now on I'm going to say I'm allergic to stamps!! Why can't they lick their own bloody stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Edit: forgot that it's private. You'll need to PM one of the mods (dr.bollocko, Fluorescence, Handsome Bob, keefg) for access

Ah, ok I was wondering why I couldn't access it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Where To wrote: »
    :confused:
    mattjack wrote: »
    I think you a forgot a ' ' by accident.
    Sacramento wrote: »
    Hope you told him to go himself!

Ah for sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not sure, if I could do such a job, I guess, you have to smile all day, being friendly to every customer, even if you don't feel well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Today a woman bought a stamp off me and came back about 30 minutes later asking me to lick it and put it on her letter. I quickly did it and threw it in the post bag and she started screaming at me saying I didn't lick the stamp and I had to search through the entire mail bag to find the letter to prove to her that I did.
    From now on I'm going to say I'm allergic to stamps!! Why can't they lick their own bloody stamps.
    If that was me I'd have wiped my arse with the stamp and stuck it on her face and posted HER in the bag.

Or, I might have smiled, and remembered the old adage 'the customer is always right'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Working one Saturday this crack pot and his dog came to the counter. I gave him his collection docket and the dog sat down and the man put the docket into his mouth. " What do ye think if that lads isnt he the best dog" and off the stores they went wagging happily. A few minutes they came back and tail between the legs the man came uo to another lad at the counter an said "Can you believe I forgot something" Without looking up the assistant said "I thought the dog would have reminded you"

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Too posh to lick????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I once worked in a well known Irish electronic retailer - every Christmas the place would be besotted with zombies looking to buy 'iPods MP3 players' - ofcourse we obliged, yet we didn't actually sell any Apple products at the time. Once one customer starts asking you questions about them you would suddenly find yourself surrounded by dozens of them, all trying to listen into your answers on 'MPD players that plugged into UBS ports on a lapbook' :rolleyes:

One day, one of the other staff got surrounded, and the thing is you get stuck because everyone has a question (note: all the same question, just generally phrased different). So anyway the staff member goes onto to say 'Well this MP3 player is 8gigs, and can hold thousands of songs...' to which one of the customers interjected, 'Thousands? Does it get heavier with the more music you put on it?'...

The answer given was ofcourse 'Yes'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

There should be a special allowance for those exposed directly to customers - it's a hazardous environment, or at least psychologist on stand by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    What they said.

Thanks lads/lasses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement