Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC speeds

• 18-07-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

So apparently I'd been upgraded to 30MB with UPC about a month ago.
    When I go to their site speed test (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/) I get results in the region of 30MB/31MB.
    When I go to www.speedtest.net I get in the region of 18MB/20MB.

I do the tests one after the other and UPC first, the Speedtest and then the other way around.

Should I be suspicious in lieu of the email they sent saying prices are going up because of improved service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

johnp wrote: »
    So apparently I'd been upgraded to 30MB with UPC about a month ago.
    When I go to their site speed test (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/) I get results in the region of 30MB/31MB.
    When I go to www.speedtest.net I get in the region of 18MB/20MB.

I do the tests one after the other and UPC first, the Speedtest and then the other way around.

Should I be suspicious in lieu of the email they sent saying prices are going up because of improved service?

No it depends on the server you test off.

You can change the server you use on Speedtest.net I always use the Eircom Dublin server.

This one is the Eircom server 2071239711.png

This one is the Digiweb server 2071241389.png

This one is the Vodafone server 2071244038.png

And here is my UPC speedtest xll7dl.jpg

As you can see 3 out of 4 say I am getting more then my full speed of 120Mb UPC can not be blamed for Digiwebs slow server.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭8gbMadness

im getting over 63mbps down 5.7mbps up with 50mb pack on the upc speed test. downloads were 7.1mbs, cork area. never saw it so high. good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

You get a much more accurate idea if you just monitor s download. Google "download large file" you'll get a test file to download. Let it download for a few minutes and just watch what sped you get. I find it more accurate anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

jarvis wrote: »
    You get a much more accurate idea if you just monitor s download. Google "download large file" you'll get a test file to download. Let it download for a few minutes and just watch what sped you get. I find it more accurate anyway.

Very much so. I've seen up to 70Mbps on speedtests, but I've yet to find a single site that I can get more than 32Mbps. And even that was a 'blip', my typical download rate from fast sites is <20Mbps.

Advertisement