Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid loan

Options
  • 18-07-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,New to this but need some advice.a few years ago I took out a loan from bank of Ireland.up until 2010 I was making repayments,however due to a lot of personal reasons n a few house moves the loan got forgotten about.recently people have been contacting my mothers house demanding she tell them where I am n give them my details.they wouldn't give a name or number as to who they were.one guy even told my mother she should have a cup of tea n think about it coz he'd be phoning back again.then a letter from a debt collectors arrived there for me.my mam rang me n gave me d number,upon making contact with them and offering a repayment sum per week I was told it wasn't enuf n if I didn't pay what they want,bank of Ireland will.take back my debt n charge me interest of €1000.
    Any ideas on how to best deal with this.I'm not working n have 2 kids so I offered what I knew I cud afford n they are refusing it.iv had no letters from them since giving them my new address either.surely they shud send me an agreement notice at least

To add the debt is 2000euro but if I pay 1600euro they will write it off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi aaofa2.

Thanks for getting in touch.

We would like to look into this matter further for you.
    If you could PM us with your name, contact number and account holding branch, I can arrange for a representative to give you a call.

Thank you.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aaofa2

Hi aaofa2.

Thanks for getting in touch.

We would like to look into this matter further for you.
    If you could PM us with your name, contact number and account holding branch, I can arrange for a representative to give you a call.

Thank you.
    Laura

Hi Laura iv sent a pm,at least I think I did.could you let me know if you receive it.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi aaofa2,

We have not received your pm yet.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi aaofa2,

We have not received your pm yet.

Thanks
    Linda

I'm unable to send them for some reason.is there another way I can pass on my details privately

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OP

Talk to the bank, but also talk to MABS - they are there to help people in your situation, and give impartial advice.

MABS Helpline 0761 07 2000, Monday to Friday from 9 am to 8 pm

http://www.mabs.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

was it Cabot Financial that contacted you by any chance?

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    was it Cabot Financial that contacted you by any chance?

It was indeed

Definitely contact MABS

And talk to the bank tell them you prefer to deal with them direct and not the debt collectors,you can agree to pay back a figure with them and just lodge into that account every week,try not to worry about it too much,cabot are just bullying bastards,if you are seeing to be paying it back they cant really refuse but get some proper advice as Im just going on personal experience here.

Definitely contact MABS

And talk to the bank tell them you prefer to deal with them direct and not the debt collectors,you can agree to pay back a figure with them and just lodge into that account every week,try not to worry about it too much,cabot are just bullying bastards,if you are seeing to be paying it back they cant really refuse but get some proper advice as Im just going on personal experience here.

Spoke to bank today,that rang me n gave agreed a repayment plan with me,cutting out Cabot who have been asked not to contact me again.finally bank hadn't got my home address or phone number.but someone from Cabot went to d bother of finding them n harassing my mother.seeing as she's recovering from cancer I don't deem their behaviour appropriate in any way

aaofa2 wrote: »
    Spoke to bank today,that rang me n gave agreed a repayment plan with me,cutting out Cabot who have been asked not to contact me again.finally bank hadn't got my home address or phone number.but someone from Cabot went to d bother of finding them n harassing my mother.seeing as she's recovering from cancer I don't deem their behaviour appropriate in any way

Sounds good and nice to see the banks being a little bit forgiving considering they were throwing money at us a few years back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi aaofa2,

Thanks for your feedback. Your situation has been forwarded to the revelant department to be reviewed and investigated further. Apologies for any inconvenience or frustration for you and your family members. It's nice to hear that you've been able to get it sorted.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Hi aaofa2,

Thanks for your feedback. Your situation has been forwarded to the revelant department to be reviewed and investigated further. Apologies for any inconvenience or frustration for you and your family members. It's nice to hear that you've been able to get it sorted.

Thanks,
    Graham

Do you sell your debts to cabot or belgard, or do they represent you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi the culture of deference,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

Bank of Ireland occasionly work with some third party agencies, however, we cannot comment on the details.

Thanks

Billy

Sounds good and nice to see the banks being a little bit forgiving considering they were throwing money at us a few years back

In 2006 or 2007 I got an offer of a pre approved loan of 17,000 euro in the post in cheque form, to validate the chq all I had to do was cash it. I didn't.

Bank of Ireland occasionly work with some third party agencies, however, we cannot comment on the details.

why not?

In 2006 or 2007 I got an offer of a pre approved loan of 17,000 euro in the post in cheque form, to validate the chq all I had to do was cash it. I didn't.

why not?

I got those in the post too(disgraceful practise),now I miss a weeks payment and their henchmen are threatening to take me to court over a 200e debt

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

why not?

I think they are just following procedure but I don't understand the reason for this procedure because you can get this information under the Freedom of Information act.

I think they are just following procedure but I don't understand the reason for this procedure because you can get this information under the Freedom of Information act.

I think their answer is BS.

I know people who tried to do a deal.
    ie they owe 15k on credit card, but 6k is interest and penalty.

BOI sends these solicitors who are also debt collectors (how does that work), they send letters saying pay in 7 days or its off to court, then we will get a sherrif and come and take all your stuff.

My friend settled with cabot 1 year after they took over his BOI acc, he ended up paying them half what he offered BOI in the 1st place. He said he lost many sleepless nights over 15k, yet people who owe hundreds of millions don't give a flying fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubblonde

Reading this thread and have googled the above, are both of these not solicitors in the traditional sense but debt collection agencies? Just spoke to one and not in the slightest professional and tried to scare me with talks of judgements.

Legally can we not insist on dealing with whoever we signed a contract with for a loan in the first place? These guys are not pleasant or in any way helpful and I don't think it's right that anybody should be allowed take over a debt when we have full intentions of paying but can't because people like our banks put us in this mess in the first place.

If anybody could advise I'd be really grateful, have friends who've lost sleep over these bullies and already feel the worry myself and that's the first call.

Is there a number at Bank of Ireland for somebody who can advise if my debt has been sold to a debt collector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Culture of Deference, you've been banned from Talk To forum's before because you don't appear to have the ability to carry out a civil conversation. This is your only warning on the matter for this forum - I've had to edit your post because of your comments already.

It's not for the reps here to discuss their business dealings with any third party any more than you should have to give us details of your dealings with the bank.

dubblonde wrote: »
    Reading this thread and have googled the above, are both of these not solicitors in the traditional sense but debt collection agencies? Just spoke to one and not in the slightest professional and tried to scare me with talks of judgements.

Legally can we not insist on dealing with whoever we signed a contract with for a loan in the first place? These guys are not pleasant or in any way helpful and I don't think it's right that anybody should be allowed take over a debt when we have full intentions of paying but can't because people like our banks put us in this mess in the first place.

If anybody could advise I'd be really grateful, have friends who've lost sleep over these bullies and already feel the worry myself and that's the first call.

Is there a number at Bank of Ireland for somebody who can advise if my debt has been sold to a debt collector?

It seems Bank Of Ireland wont answer any questions here then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi col.in.Cr,

We will endeavour to answer all customer service queries here.

Although on this issue as previously mentioned:
    Bank of Ireland occasionally work with some third party agencies, however, we cannot comment on the details.

We would always advise customers to liaise with their branch directly to discuss account specific information.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Archangel.Nexus

To whom it concerns - I am posting this because people need to know about the despicable unprofessional & underhanded methods now being employed by Bank of Ireland. I notice a lot of people coming across the same or similar problems with BOI.

Today a person from a company named "Apex Discovery Solutions" rang my work (an English company operating in England). Upon enquiry they claimed to be acting on behalf of Cabot Financial who was acting on behalf of Bank of Ireland.

This person was nothing short of verbally abusive in his demands for verification of my identity and his requests for everything from my phone number to email to postal address - and he then attempted to put words in my mouth as to previous addresses when I was not forthcoming with answers to his demands.

Before we go any further let's just re-visit that incredulous statement - yes, I do mean they actually had the audacity to ring the reception desk of the company I work for and announce themselves (including who they worked for). He admitted to not having details for me and using a variety of public information and searches on site such as LinkedIn to locate me.

I don’t want to even start considering the data protection issues on this one – not including the fact that he had personal information on me and gave that out before even starting to verify my identity.

So - they claim I am supposedly absconding on something - would that be my BOI loan? ... no, payments on time and regular as per usual (i.e. within terms). Would that be my credit card? ... doubtful, payments are coming out of my account every month.

In short - be warned, we have cold calling, violation of my personal privacy and details, abusive language and a litany of other failures for collection of an imaginary debt (or at they very worst, less than a BOI directors lunch money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Archangel.Nexus,

We appreciate you getting in touch. We'd also like to apologise for the treatment you received in the handling of your case. As mentioned above, we can't comment on our dealings with third party agencies. However, if you'd like to PM us with your name, account holding branch and a contact phone number, we'll investigate this further for you.

Thanks,
    Graham

Advertisement