Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease for letting a room in a landlord occupied house.

Options
  • 18-07-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Perhaps a member of this community can help me;

I would like to let one of the rooms in my house. My mam passed away recently and I need assistance to pay the bills. It’s just me in the house now.

I have met and agreed a price with a nurse who works in a nearby hospital.
    I get the impression she is of good character.

I would like to draw up a letting agreement for her to sign, just so I can have peace of mind. I have an idea what kinds of things should be included, but is there anything in particular that should be included in this document in order to cover myself?

If any member of this forum could suggest wording I would be very, very grateful.

Also, is there any other advice members may to give to me regarding letting out a room?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You'll get a drafe lease agreement to download here
    http://www.agreementtemplate.org/lease-agreement-template.html

Plenty of other versions for free on the web if you Google around.

Other than that I've no experience of renting a room. Though I would say that it is best for all concerned that any house rules are laid down from day one. Especially coming up with a roster to share cleaning duties as it can cause hassle and resentment down the road.

I'm sure others can add to what I've stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

There is no requirement for a lease when renting out a room - you are not covered by PRTB if you are in the rent-a-room scheme.
    The main thing your contract should say is the ground rules about bills, notice they must give if they want to leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would like to draw up a letting agreement for her to sign, just so I can have peace of mind.
    As a Owner Occupier, a lease gives the tenant more rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

the_syco wrote: »
    As a Owner Occupier, a lease gives the tenant more rights.
    Exactly. No legal need for a lease and it weakens your position OP. Don't bother with one. Your tenant is not a tenant at all under law, merely a licensee and have as much rights as a visitor. You are exempt from the farce of the PRTB and can earn a substantial amount before being due for any tax (think 7k per anum) under the rent a room scheme.

Sorry for your loss btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I have a sample (6 pages) License Agreement + house rules + general information about living with a landlord but I am unable to send it via a Private Message as PMs don't accept attachments and the document is much too large to post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SeanMcFitz

Hi there,

I just seen your post on License Agreement for tenants and having a good bit of trouble getting my hands on one here for my own. Would you mind mailing me a copy? If you could it would be a great help.

Thanks a million.

John

Advertisement