Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start?

• 18-07-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hey all, I posted here looking for advice about a suit for an interview and you were a really big help, I got the perfect thing in the end, and I got the job!

I've decided I could do with a bit of a style makeover. I've been broke so I wasn't adding much to my wardrobe and I don't follow fashion trends anyway so what I have can last through the seasons..

If you were to change your style completely over, what advice would you give me? I'm not particularly good at styling myself. Brilliant when it comes to guys, even female friends, but when it comes to myself I'm just good, definitely room for a better look.

Should I go for a personal stylist? Go abroad? I'm also worried that I won't get the range of clothes I'd like in Dublin where I'm based.

Appreciate any advice on how to start this makeover off! Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Congrats on the job :)

Trust me, you'll get everything you want or need in Dublin if you plan a little! I work in a boutique down the country and even small towns have serious choice - Once you know what you're looking for you'll be set.

I think the best approach is to have a look at styles coming in for Autumn. All the major magazines will be bringing out their runway issues in the coming weeks, so have a flick through those.

If you want to hit the shops now, I'd suggest going for some fantastic wardrobe staples, pieces that don't date and in shape you feel comfortable. I'd be of a mind to go for "office" pieces - skirts, dresses, shirts, suit pieces initially and then wait for a couple of weeks for the real Autumn looks to hit the shops. Think one colour pencil dresses/skirts & trousers and go from there - a Mad Men look.

A brand you might want to take a look at is Fever. I think its sold in Bow & Pearl in Ranelagh, they have amazingly flattering pieces; in classic shapes that look fantastic and don't date. Pick up a couple of simple fitted dresses now and then build in the next few weeks. They've a gorgeous collection for Autumn too! That'd be arriving instore in August sometime.

The coming season is another "anything goes" - loads of tribal, floral, cutsy animal prints, everything! Its brill for trying new looks and seeing what you like! I'd stick to boutique for the staples; I really believe you get better quality for your money...

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

Thanks a mil guys, so helpful! Yep, most of the stuff I have is casual. I have a good figure and am average height, and anything i do have is quite flattering but in a casual kind of way. I do prefer a simple style, my life can be complicated enough in other areas, so perhaps that's why I like to keep it simple enough style wise, but I'd like to make more of an effort now for sure.

I keep seeing loads of gorgeous styles for taller women but they wouldn't really suit me. I have broad shoulders so I have to be careful with skinny jeans for example and I always end up getting good fitting bootcut jeans as they just look better on the whole. I always get compliments on my jeans as well so I'm good at finding fitting pieces, but it's putting together a look with different things that's my problem really!

I'll definitely take your advice and start looking at fashion blogs. There is a great one for guys here www.thestyleblogger.com. Anything this good for women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'd definately save up and go to a personal shopper in somewhere like Debenhams or House of Fraser - they will help you pick pieces that you can mix and match so the look is pulled together well.

For inspiration I like - http://www.jseverydayfashion.com/
    She takes inspiration pictures from magazines, catalogues, ads etc and tries to create them using bits from her own wardrobe - definately something you could try and do yourself.

I read tons of fashion blogs and wouldn't really dress like J myself but I like seeing how she interprets things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

I see what you mean. I think I need to find a brunette role model blog as well. I'll have a look around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement