Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A lot of people in this thread I see did not enjoy the prison pit scenes. I disagree I though they were some of the best in the film. We got a lot of backstory and I loved how bane left the tv to torture bruce after seeing what happened to Gotham. I really thought it was amazing and very emotional when Bruce climbed out of the pit to freedom with the other prisoners chanting. Also i'm not quite sure but I thought I saw Bruce throwing a rope down to the remaining prisoners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Loved the pit scenes, was basically echoing the name of the movie. He moves past his pain, and his anguish and rises from the depths of hell, in this case literally and figuratively - to save Gotham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah, I had chills watching Bruce climb the pit without the rope, great moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

tunguska wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    I also agree that Catwoman was outstanding. I was more concerned with casting Hathaway as Catwoman than Hardy as Bane, but I was happily surprised. Hathaway was absolutely perfect in that role

Mother of God she was terrible. Everytime she was on screen me and my girlfriend would look at each other and cringe. I cant remember a worse case of miscasting. Michelle Pfeiffer put her to shame.
    I thought the film as a whole was a mess. And Im not being deliberatley awkward or hating on the batman series, it was just a bad movie. The dialogue was shocking, the plot ridiculous. Christian Bale is a fine actor, his performances in Rescue dawn, the fighter and in particular the machinist, were incredible. But he just looked apathetic and embarressed in TDKR. For a film called the Dark knight there was way too many daylight scenes. Thats waht made tim burtons batman films so great, the dark foreboding atmosphere. A Dude dressed in a batsuit looks scary and intimidating in the shadows at night, but during the daytime he just looks silly. I think they had a real chance to make a great film here but they blew it. Tom Hardy was the only saving grace, thought he did very well with what he had to work with. Ditto for Michael Caine.

This post is literally the opposite of everything I thought about the movie. Maybe stop looking at your gf and pay attention to hathaways performance next time you watch it :)

Agreed, Hathaway was brilliant, the look on her face after she betrayed batman in the sewers was top notch. She communicated so much with her facial expressions. You could tell she regretted what she'd done and also you could tell she was developing feelings for Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

ricero wrote: »
    A lot of people in this thread I see did not enjoy the prison pit scenes. I disagree I though they were some of the best in the film. We got a lot of backstory and I loved how bane left the tv to torture bruce after seeing what happened to Gotham. I really thought it was amazing and very emotional when Bruce climbed out of the pit to freedom with the other prisoners chanting. Also i'm not quite sure but I thought I saw Bruce throwing a rope down to the remaining prisoners

I agree. I thought the it scenes added so much to the character of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Illustrates why I rate Batman so much more than Spiderman- Spiderman is like an angst-ridden hormonal teenager yearning for the girl he has a cruch on; Batman is tortured by the sight of the city and peope he loves destroyed before his eyes. Powerful stuff.

I quite like the way too, that Bane's chant is not some meaningless gibberish, but apparently means He Rises in Moroccan Arabic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

Einhard wrote: »
    I agree. I thought the it scenes added so much to the character of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Illustrates why I rate Batman so much more than Spiderman- Spiderman is like an angst-ridden hormonal teenager yearning for the girl he has a cruch on; Batman is tortured by the sight of the city and peope he loves destroyed before his eyes. Powerful stuff.

I quite like the way too, that Bane's chant is not some meaningless gibberish, but apparently means He Rises in Moroccan Arabic.

was it morocco they were in? its says over on imdb the prison was in mexico!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

bunnymunro wrote: »

I'd don't think they were anywhere specific. It looked too remote to be Mexico though. It reminded me of one of those lawless trbal regions in Northern Pakistan, and I think that kind of interpretation would fit in with the narrative- remote, somewhat lawless, subject to the control of warlords, ancient etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bunnymunro wrote: »

I don't think it was mentioned, certainly didnt look like Mexico when he climbs out had a desert like structure in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Also i'm not quite sure but I thought I saw Bruce throwing a rope down to the remaining prisoners
    yeah he did throw it down, i suppose he felt they didn't deserve to be there,

also i laugh at the headline when bruce went bankrupt, "from Billionaire to Bum":D

There was a funny funny moments, liked Hathaway's line when Bruce tells her they're letting him keep Wayne Manor "god rich people don't even go broke the same as the rest of us.."

will go see it again when the crowds die down a bit, it deserves a rewatch. Really just the silly/lazy nuclear bomb thing was the biggest issue I had with it, we'd already seen that exact same thing in the Avengers, and why, whyyyyyy would the core of a fusion reactor which had been converted into a bomb have a countdown timer?!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    and if yer wan was so well trained by her dad why wasn't she at least a bit muscly that batman would notice when sleeping with her?

She was fairly muscly, very defined back for a chick.

Bruce was still pretty buff himself for someone that had been a recluse for years with a knackered body

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Bruce was still pretty buff himself for someone that had been a recluse for years with a knackered body

Not just that, bastard doesn't leave the gaff for 8 years so he has a shave and heads out and is ating the face off Anne Hathaway within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    yeah not a shred of cartilage left in his body, yet when he was in the pit he got into the shape of his life, without that gizmo that helped him stand up straight :confused::confused::confused: that part really needed suspension of belief,

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

The weakest of the three. Felt bloated and rushed. It might just be the sound in the Savoy but myself and my mate didnt hear half of what Bane was saying. He sounded like a drunk Sean Connery..Cheesey lines aplenty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Good at keeping a fire going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A flawed but ultimately satisfying conclusion to the trilogy IMO.

To get the few negatives out of the way, I have to share the criticisms regarding the audio. On a number of occasions I found myself struggling to hear elements of the dialogue; particularly during Bane's speech on the football pitch and during the conversation between Gordan and Blake in the apartment, when Blake criticises Gordan's handling of Harvey Dent's death. I'm also blaming audio and not an attention defecit on my behalf for not hearing the engineers tell Fox that the autopilot had been fixed on the pod. Which, speaking of, was another thing I wasn't crazy about. I can't even place a finger on why - I think I felt that it brought too much of a science fiction element to Nolan's universe, and I found it harder to suspend my disbelief than in the previous two films as a result.

The dialogue could have been a lot stronger too - I thought it was surprisingly hammy in places. Batman's response to Bane's "So you came back to die with your city" was the biggest offender for me. In one or two instances the dialogue also suffered from over-simplistic exposition; particularly the forceful explanation of the programme that Selina Kyle is after. The Robin reveal was similarly heavy-handed - I would have loved for a more subtle 'Dick' or 'Mr. Grayson', though I appreciate why Nolan wouldn't have wanted to make it inaccessible for people not as familiar with Batman canon. While flawed, the dialogue was occasionally excellent too - Alfred revealing Rachel's letter was a very powerful scene.

What I loved: above all else, it has to be that first fight between Bane and Batman. I've read criticisms that Bane wasn't as intimidating as he promised to be from the trailers, but I disagree entirely on the strength of this scene alone. You really got the impression that it was man versus boy, and it was the first time in the trilogy that we witnessed such overt vulnerability in Batman. It was also an emotionally-charged scene, playing on our apprehension of all but knowing the outcome, delivered masterfully by Hardy and Bale. The absence of music and dialogue really strengthened it as well. Honestly, it's going to be one of those scenes I'll be able to watch repeatedly without tiring of.

For the sake of brevity I'll only touch on some of the other things I loved. The cast were wonderful; particularly Caine and Hathaway (like many others, I wasn't confident I'd be saying that about her). Though confined to two scenes, I thought there was great chemistry between Bale (who likewise was excellent IMO) and Hardy. I thought the pacing was excellent too. I disagree with those who felt that it got bogged down in places - I actually thought the pacing was better than it was in TDK. Finally, I just loved the Talia al Ghul reveal and the flashbacks to when we see Bane without his mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Went again last night, the press preview on Wednesday had no atmosphere to it at all.

Loved it again, possibly even more.

Really enjoyed Bane, he complete confidence and power really make him a monster on the screen, his voice was tough to understand at times but overall Hardy did a stellar job to get the emotion through with that mask on, the scene at the end when he cries was quite something, and the speech outside the prison was great.

I can see why some would feel let down by this, and of course they can be, to me anyway it was a brilliant job, and for it to follow the previous 2 films, it was always going to be somewhat of a struggle to get it to a reasonable level.

I think Nolan nailed it, himself and Goyer have said this is the ending they always had in mind, so fair play to them sticking to it. Never felt that it was near 3 hours long at all.

Seeing it in a sold out cinema really added to it, the reception the Robin reference got was great, and I could hear a few sniffles towards the end, and the applause it got was great.

May well be the weakest of the 3, but it had a lot going against it, Begins had no reference to work against so there were no comparisons to be made. TDK got a lot of hype with Ledger passing, and then by his incredible showing as the Joker. So, for this to be in anyway a decent film, it had a lot to measure up to. And in my opinion, it did, to me it surpassed it.

To have a trilogy as consistent as this is a true feat of cinema, so lets all be happy with that, and look forward to probably the best box-set of all time since the Steven Segal collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Applause :D

also did anyone notice with the scarecrow scenes that although he didnt have the mask on he had a scarecrow looking jacket. while in batman begins he wore the mask but did not wear the jacket. was a good little easter egg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya he did. Enjoyed that bit myself.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I thought the scene between Batman and catwoman after the bat was hilarious. When she just left and Batman says "So that's what it feels like.."

I think I'm going to have to watch the first 2 movies, I didn't expect to see it so quick so I need to watch them again just to judge where it stands in the trilogy. That said, the more I think about it the more I love it! I'll probably go see it again.

Edit: One unfair criticism I've seen in the thread is regarding the score. It's a bit harsh to be complaining that it's too similar when we're in the final film of the trilogy. Also there are some great tracks in the soundtrack itself such as On thin ice and Gothams Reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Poor old Scarecrow. He kinda became a caricature of himself in the end. Such a lovable rogue, he was great in BB but i felt he was almost abused in this. I had hoped for better for him than this Court of the People slapstick nonsense.

Catwoman stole it, i feared for the character but Hathaway was amazing, the pain in her eyes after her betrayal.

For me, as much as i enjoyed it, I'd go:
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Dark Knight Rises

No shame on TDKR, just shows how good the other two were.

loved Cillian Murphy's cameo, pity he didn't have the mask on but it was cool how they kept him around Gotham, always bugs me when they kill off villains when they could be used in later movies. Was wondering if there'd be any mention of The Joker, like even a line of dialogue explaining where he was or something but I guess they didnt need to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Basq wrote: »
    anyone who says they could understand it perfectly, I'd love to test them on that and play a couple of gruff lines and ask them to repeat it.

At the risk of sounding like an utterly rabid fan, here's Bane's lines from the IMAX preview - nobody could memorize an entire scene in one cinema viewing so you know this is from the original scene, with the allegedly "inaudible voice"
    http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/3036025/The/

"Or perhaps he is wondering why someone would shoot a man - BEFORE throwing him out of a plane?"
    "Doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan! No one cared who I was until I put on the mask..."
    "Of course! Dr Pavel refused our offer in favour of yours, we had to find out what he told you about us!"
    "Crashing this plane....... WITH NO SURVIVORS!!!"
    "No! They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother..."
    "...The fire rises!"
    "Calm DOWN Doctor! Now is not the time for fear! ...........That comes later!"

Again... I literally never had a problem understanding him, I honestly don't see how people do have a problem with it. Literally the first ever trailer for the movie, his one line is "When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die" - that drew hordes of criticism and I was just like "It sounds like he's talking through a little megaphone or FM radio, but that's all.

Out of interest, did anyone else here have absolutely no problems with his voice?

At the risk of sounding like an utterly rabid fan, here's Bane's lines from the IMAX preview - nobody could memorize an entire scene in one cinema viewing so you know this is from the original scene, with the allegedly "inaudible voice"
    http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/3036025/The/

"Or perhaps he is wondering why someone would shoot a man - BEFORE throwing him out of a plane?"
    "Doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan! No one cared who I was until I put on the mask..."
    "Of course! Dr Pavel refused our offer in favour of yours, we had to find out what he told you about us!"
    "Crashing this plane....... WITH NO SURVIVORS!!!"
    "No! They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother..."
    "...The fire rises!"
    "Calm DOWN Doctor! Now is not the time for fear! ...........That comes later!"

Again... I literally never had a problem understanding him, I honestly don't see how people do have a problem with it. Literally the first ever trailer for the movie, his one line is "When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die" - that drew hordes of criticism and I was just like "It sounds like he's talking through a little megaphone or FM radio, but that's all.

Out of interest, did anyone else here have absolutely no problems with his voice?

I literally found it no worse than anyone else but that's not saying it was particularly clear.

the more i think of the film the more i look back at a fantastic performance by tom hardy as bane. He brought emotion to essentially a movie "monster" and the look he gave with his eyes were truly scary. He was basically a general or as some would say a right hand man to talia al ghul and i found his performance to be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

bluewolf wrote: »
    and if yer wan was so well trained by her dad why wasn't she at least a bit muscly that batman would notice when sleeping with her?

He did notice a scar on her back and ran his finger along it, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I thought bale was magnificent in it, I can see why some people wont like it but i felt it was a fitting end to the trilogy.

I also felt it borrowed from Escape from New York and the Mad Max films amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Just seen for the second time. Alfred doesn't say the line from the second trailer.
    "you are are precious to me as you were to your own mother and father. I swore to them that i would protect you, and i haven't"
    Anyone else notice this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

For people who have seen it twice, how does it stand after a second viewing?

One of my bugs with it was how they handled the introductions of so many new characters in the first 45 minutes or so. Bane and catwoman were fine but Daggert, the congressman, Miranda Tate etc. left me a bit muddled initially. But now I'm familiar with them I imagine the first act would go along much smoother.

Advertisement