Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

4/10

The first hour showed hope...then they took it away with a stupid plot.

Bane was good, but talked way to much towards the end. The fight scenes were not good and I felt they left out a lot when filming attack scenes, simply showing Batman, then a second later some guy unconscious ont he ground. Also when Catwoman was attacking people, the majority of them got twisted wrists or maybe a broken arm, but they all lay there like corpses, fairly ****e.

The whole Robin thing was bollocks, but I saw it coming.

Mediocre movie, a fitting end to a trilogy that had one good film in afaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dermighty wrote: »
    4/10

The first hour showed hope...then they took it away with a stupid plot.

Bane was good, but talked way to much towards the end. The fight scenes were not good and I felt they left out a lot when filming attack scenes, simply showing Batman, then a second later some guy unconscious ont he ground. Also when Catwoman was attacking people, the majority of them got twisted wrists or maybe a broken arm, but they all lay there like corpses, fairly ****e.

The whole Robin thing was bollocks, but I saw it coming.

Mediocre movie, a fitting end to a trilogy that had one good film in afaic.

And 1 great movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

How did Blake discover the Batcave? He has GPS co-ordinates but where did he get them?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Loved it overall but to lower the bar of the current conversation. When Bruce slept with Talia, I surely wasn't the only person who had the thought 'This appears to be the first time Bruce has had sex in nine years...', given the fact he was a recluse for 8 years and Rachel's demise. :pac:

The Dark Knight Rises

How did Blake discover the Batcave? He has GPS co-ordinates but where did he get them?

He was left a package, which he collected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

He turned up at the reading of the will / estate, I assumed that's where he got instructions on picking up the bag but it wasn't clear.

The thing about the different name suggested someone else left the bag for him to pick up. I assumed it was Bruce Waybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

MJ23 wrote: »
    Just seen for the second time. Alfred doesn't say the line from the second trailer.
    "you are are precious to me as you were to your own mother and father. I swore to them that i would protect you, and i haven't"
    Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, said it when we walked out.
    And it would have linked with his words to Wayne's parents at the end about letting them down

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd completely forgotten that Gordon doesn't know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, you'd think he would have twigged it after 8 years if thats how long it had been since Wayne had been around. Batman gets hurt, limps away, billonaire recluse then shows up with a walking stick and no more Batman, great detective work there Jim.

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    I'd completely forgotten that Gordon doesn't know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, you'd think he would have twigged it after 8 years if thats how long it had been since Wayne had been around. Batman gets hurt, limps away, billonaire recluse then shows up with a walking stick and no more Batman, great detective work there Jim.

He may just not have read the tabloids / society pages.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    He may just not have read the tabloids / society pages.

But he knows who Wayne is, he meets him in TDK, and he's AT HIS HOUSE at the beginning of TDKR at the fundraiser, its mentioned that Wayne never goes to them and they havent seen him in years. I always figured Gordon just knew but didnt make it obvious about it, kinda forgot it was a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Loved the movie. Might just make me into a cinema goer and movie buff yet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Loved the last thing Bruce said to Gordon, something along the lines of "Anyone can be a hero, like putting a coat around a small boy and comforting him to let him know that his whole world hadn't ended."

But he knows who Wayne is, he meets him in TDK, and he's AT HIS HOUSE at the beginning of TDKR at the fundraiser, its mentioned that Wayne never goes to them and they havent seen him in years. I always figured Gordon just knew but didnt make it obvious about it, kinda forgot it was a secret.

The fundraiser was on the Wayne estate, I don't think it was in the house, and it was an annual event run by the Wayne Foundation, so nothing to do with Bruce Wayne really - he didn't even turn up to it. Wayne is one man out a population of millions who portrayed himself as womaniser / playboy so I don't think it's that far fetched that someone who didn't know him well didn't make the association.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭Penn

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Loved the film overall, bar a few minor points. One thing I really didnt like though is Bane's end. It was too simple, too comical almost. I really didnt think it suited his character. He spends the entire film being so menacing and indestructible only to go out in such a ridiculous fashion.

Anyone else think that?

I was disappointed with it at first, but then I thought it was kinda the only way they could do it. Batman doesn't kill. Same as how he saved Joker in TDK. Think about it, Bane was shot by the same thing which blew a huge hole in a bunch of stacked cars. That's what was needed to stop him; Missiles. Batman had already shown he could beat Bane, it was only due to Talia's turn that Bane got the upper hand again.

I think it would have been pretty difficult to end him in any other way without copying the end of Ra's (Batman not saving him from an accident) or the end of Joker (Batman beating but saving him and leaving him for cops)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Batman gets hurt, limps away, billonaire recluse then shows up with a walking stick and no more Batman, great detective work there Jim.

There was 8 years between Batman limping away and Bruce with a walking stick. Coupled with the fact that the doctor Bruce went to said his knee injury was because of no cartilage in his knee, which means Bruce probably hadn't been using the walking stick for the past 8 years, but his leg had started hurting perhaps in the past year or two. The cartilage thing wouldn't have been caused by the fall he and Dent took.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Penn wrote: »
    Batman doesn't kill.

I was sitting watching thinking the same thing and then Batman went on to kill the driver of the truck and Talia. Not to mention he killed Harvey Dent in TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I was sitting watching thinking the same thing and then Batman went on to kill the driver of the truck and Talia. Not to mention he killed Harvey Dent in TDK.

He was trying to force the truck into going another direction. Talia ordering the driver to stay going straight caused him to try turning too late and going off the highway.
    With Dent he just tackled him to get him away from Gordons son, he wasnt purposely out to kill him.

I thought the Dent killing was to preserve Dents reputation and his legacy?

As for the truck driver and Talia, his primary concern was to stop / redirect the truck. He fired multiple missiles to stop them without any damage, time was running out, so I would assume he'd rather risk killing 2 people than risk the deaths of millions if he hadn't stopped them.

He was trying to force the truck into going another direction. Talia ordering the driver to stay going straight caused him to try turning too late and going off the highway.
    With Dent he just tackled him to get him away from Gordons son, he wasnt purposely out to kill him.

I think it's a bit more open for interpretation than that. Whether directly or indirectly Batman caused the death of those 3 people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Maybe its just me but could ha have not been a little more careful with the reactor? Its a nuclear bomb and he just drops it four feet onto the ground from the truck when he is winching it out.

• Advertisement

I thought the Dent killing was to preserve Dents reputation and his legacy?

As for the truck driver and Talia, his primary concern was to stop / redirect the truck. He fired multiple missiles to stop them without any damage, time was running out, so I would assume he'd rather risk killing 2 people than risk the deaths of millions if he hadn't stopped them.

Even if that's why he died it's sort of a moot point. Batman caused his death, which was what I was getting at.

Regarding the truck, again, even if those were the reasons behind the death of those 2 people it's irrelevant to what I was pointing out, he was the one that caused their death.

It may be a bit more ambiguous than Burton's Batman when he killed people but he was ultimately responsible.

I think it's a bit more open for interpretation than that. Whether directly or indirectly Batman caused the death of those 3 people.

Ra's Al Ghul too, his "no killing" policy is kinda more a guideline than a rule :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I was really underwhelmed by the film. I honestly think thats far from the best chris nolan has to offer. I found it to be far too predictable...especially for someone of nolans caliber. im not saying it was a bad movie, just that it wasnt a fitting trilogy maker. And my word would Zimmer write something decent for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ra's Al Ghul too, his "no killing" policy is kinda more a guideline than a rule :pac:

Its more a case of he wont directly and purposely cause a death (shooting, stabbing, dropping off a building, sticking a bomb to a giant clown and throwing them down a manhole.......) but will do the actions necessary to protect gotham & its people

Even if that's why he died it's sort of a moot point. Batman caused his death, which was what I was getting at.

Regarding the truck, again, even if those were the reasons behind the death of those 2 people it's irrelevant to what I was pointing out, he was the one that caused their death.

It may be a bit more ambiguous than Burton's Batman when he killed people but he was ultimately responsible.

Not sure why you are so concerned about the truck killings? He could hardly hold back and let millions die just because his moral code prevented him from killing 2 criminals...

I doubt that would sit well with anyones conscience.

I'd forgive Ra's death since it was as much Gordon's fault as his and he made a point of 'not saving him' rather than pushing him off a building with himself or firing exploding projectiles/or bullets (can't remember which) at them.

I did find it odd at how this interesting side of Batman was always being touted in Nolan's films but whether he actually followed this principle is open for debate.

Not sure why you are so concerned about the truck killings? He could hardly hold back and let millions die just because his moral code prevented him from killing 2 criminals...

I doubt that would sit well with anyones conscience.

You misunderstand my point. I'm not concerned about the baddy bad people punching their ticket but Nolan did go out of his way to promote the 'no guns - no killing' side to Batman and he clearly broke both pledges.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ruff says flaherty

The fact that Bale was ripped even though he couldn't walk, and was a hermit for 8 years was a bit dodge. Would have been more realistic if he was fat and bloated.

Great movie. I'd put it between 1 and 2 in terms of quality. With 2 being the best. The scene in two where the 2 boats each had a device to blow up the other was my favourite from all 3 movies. Nothing as clever as it in TDKR. Still a cracking movie though. The best super hero hero interpretation I've ever seen. Will take something very special to surpass it. I'd love to see Nolan tackle another superhero franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Was more shocked really that Gordon had remembered putting a coat around a young Bruce Wayne around 15 years ago :D

• Advertisement

jpcarlow wrote: »
    I was really underwhelmed by the film. I honestly think thats far from the best chris nolan has to offer. I found it to be far too predictable...especially for someone of nolans caliber. im not saying it was a bad movie, just that it wasnt a fitting trilogy maker. And my word would Zimmer write something decent for a change

The score is good in places but all too familiar, it doesnt have the standout theme like The Jokers one from TDK, which is a superb piece of music, well one note really, but used brilliantly.

Advertisement