Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jpcarlow wrote: »
    definitely not out of nowhere, the only female character who sounded like they werent from gotham, has scars on her back and is romantically linked to Bruce....stuck out like a sore thumb. Ditto to bane not being the child who escapes which he states himself when he says he was a man when he first saw the light.

On the Bane front, i have problems with his voice...not the understanding of what he is saying, (though admittedly at times it was difficult) i have problems with his accent...sounds like it doesnt match the character, a very over the top dumbledore style voice

I liked his voice, it would have been easy to do a gruff growling badass voice but instead he went with something that verges on the comical at times but still threatening purely because of how imposing Bane is physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

that was ****ing amazing that is all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Just came back from watching it.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping it would at least be the best film of this summer so far, for me, the Avengers was better.

Both other batman films were better than this. For me this felt very formulaic and by the numbers. There was a lot of pandering and Nolan's attempts to address and say something deeper about society or humanity were almost mechanical. i.e. He didn't really make an effort in that regard and the story suffered as a result.

The story also felt a bit disjointed and jumpy in parts. In fact the whole thing felt very forced. I think it's the first time he's made a film that's a little too self-important and actually gets lost in it's own presumption of greatness.

Some of the set pieces were nice but there weren't a lot of really 'Wow,' moments for me.

A disappointing end to the trilogy and I felt like Nolan's heart wasn't really in it. It's the first film of his that I don't feel compelled to return to the cinema to revisit.

Anyone else think it smacks of studio interference? I'd love to know if a lot of the stuff people are complaining about were put in by request rather than want. I'm not saying that Nolan is so awesomesauce a filmmaker that he couldnt possibly make mistakes but I dunno, a lot of stuff felt wrong in this, like it belonged to a different franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Anyone else think it smacks of studio interference? I'd love to know if a lot of the stuff people are complaining about were put in by request rather than want. I'm not saying that Nolan is so awesomesauce a filmmaker that he couldnt possibly make mistakes but I dunno, a lot of stuff felt wrong in this, like it belonged to a different franchise.

I'd be surprised if the studio interfered since Nolan is their golden boy at the moment.

I do agree, however, that this film did feel like it was set in a different Batman universe to the previous two and that's even with the flashbacks and analogous scenes that peppered this film.

• Advertisement

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the studio interfered since Nolan is their golden boy at the moment.

I do agree, however, that this film did feel like it was set in a different Batman universe to the previous two and that's even with the flashbacks and analogous scenes that peppered this film.

Yeah like there's a different tone or something, I can't quite figure it out. I still think this felt like it had the least amount at stake even though it was the biggest of the three in scale. And even though the action was on a much bigger scale as well not one moment made to go "oooh" like the truck flip in TDK or the chase in Begins across the rooftops. I guess seeing Batman in daylight surrounded by hundreds of people or flying around the city felt at odds with what the previous two built up or something, I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Well, that movie was a bit over the top for me. Felt very rushed for such a long movie. I really liked Levitt's bit at the end though, swinging through the waterfall on the rope was a nice touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well directed ,actors played there roles well and hans zimmer work was great
    But.... Plot was stupid , boring cliche moments .. And ending was pure balls
    Also i coukdnt understand how someone thought it was ok to use bane voice the way he did , i couldnt understand a word he said.
    There was more bruce wayne than batman but there was a huge gap that lasted too long and it felt like inception 2 without leonardo di caprio

5/10 from me

So dissapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

I liked his voice, it would have been easy to do a gruff growling badass voice but instead he went with something that verges on the comical at times but still threatening purely because of how imposing Bane is physically.

Really loved his voice.... struggled to understand Bane at the best of times. Really only got the gist from what the other actors said.....loved the movie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

personally as a comic book fan this had everything i neeeded/wanted, yeah some bits were ridiculous (especially the robin thing) but i really enjoyed it, alo while nolan says he wont do another batman film he said sweet **** all about a batman beyond movie

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Saw it earlier today, thought it was great. That said, there were a few moments where I felt like letting out some chuckles, like at the end when Batman finally gets Bane down and starts shouting "WHERE'S THE TRIGGER?!! WHERE IS IT?!!" The delivery made it seem like a parody almost, but when he said "When the switch is in my hand, you have my permission to die" redeemed it. Hathaway was fantastic as Selina, as was Hardy as Bane, though I wish he got more screen time. Overall I feel it could've been better, I didn't properly enjoy it, that was more down to my mind being on other things. Thinking of going again on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I also didn't much like Gotham, it looked great in TDK but in this it looked like a completely different city, very bland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

something kermode eluded to and a thought myself and my brother shared today( owing to the fact we have a profoundly deaf relative)- the fact you cant see banes mouth plays a big part in the problems.i dont have the official facts and figures so i wont make them up but doesnt body language and lip movement account for more of communication then the actual spoken word itself.

from watching films with my uncle since i was young i got into the habit to this day of watching them with subtitles even when not in his presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Really enjoyed the movie...thought Anne Hathaway was fab! A lot was lost on me ....esp the Liam Neeson bit.......'I will find you etc....But loved the movie

al28283 wrote: »
    I also didn't much like Gotham, it looked great in TDK but in this it looked like a completely different city, very bland

It is a different city :pac: the first two were shot in Chicago this was in New York, and its blatantly a different city.

can actually watch this now, avoided it since it has so much footage in it.

heh, like Hardy's line " some men wanna watch the world burn, Bane is here to pull the pin on the grenade"

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

it was the quiter moments which most impressed.

The Bat dancing with The Cat straight out of EYES WIDE SHUT.

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Right, just back from the 2115 showing in Showtime Limerick (superb cinema and staff by the way).

Overall I though it was very good, albeit a little too long in parts. The could have cut a few minutes here and there without affecting the quality of the movie.

It was more of a film about Bruce Wayne than it was about Batman, which was great because we normally want to see the alter ego kick arse and save the day. However, I was always aware of the fact that the guy behind the mask was struggling to move on from a life that he couldn't escape from.

Moving onto Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I thought he played his role very well and, along with Inception and 500 Days of Summer, he has shown to be a very adept actor. I though it was glaringly obvious that his character would either take the role of Batman after Wayne either dies or fakes his death, or he was Robin. I'm quite happy with the latter, but he is likely to replace BW as BatMan. I am not sure there is enough interest in a Nightwing movie, but I think that if there ever will be, then now is the time. Very enjoyable.

Michael Caine. Superb. I could sit here trying to come up with words to describe his performance, especially at the end, but I don't think there is any need to regurgitate what everyone else has written. Incredibly powerful.

I really enjoyed Anne Hathaways portrayal of CatWoman. Very calm, smart and lethal. Also, dat catsuit. :D

Tom Hardy. Right, I struggled to understand what he was saying quite a bit which probably took away from my enjoyment of it all. He portrayed Bane being as smart, but not as smart as I was hoping. I was hoping we would see him outmaneuver Batman mentally as well as physically, but I felt he wasn't given nearly enough time as I had hoped.

I wasn't a massive fan of the plot to be honest. There is a big nuclear bomb thats going to blow up the city. I expected more, but it was secondary to the fate of Bruce Wayne anyways, and therefore I'm not too upset.

I also enjoyed the fact that, in the final fight between Bane and BatMan, we depart from the usual superhero battle, full of missiles, flying cars, superpowers and tales of the incredible. It was just the two of them fistfighting, two of hundreds of others doing the same.

Nice twist in the end with Talia Al Ghul and, in retrospect, I'm stunned I did not figure that one out. I never read the comic, but I am familiar with the lore and I play the Arkham games so I should have seen it a mile away (especially when they said Bane was Al Ghul's son).

My one gripe was the scene where Bane "broke the bat". Bane is infamous in the comics for breaking Batman's back. I just felt that this scene needed to be grittier and far more impactful than it actually was. The was no real gravity to the scene, and they way Bane picked him up just looked so fake. While I was glad we got to see the scene, it felt like it belonged in the 1990s Batman and not in this gritty incarnation.

I'm not a director or screen writer, but I would love if the film had ended with Alfred sitting down in the cafe, noticing "someone" at another table, and letting out a smile. Don't show us Bruce. Just cut to black there and then.

Overall, it was highly enjoyable and I think, in years to come, the trilogy will stand out as being excellent overall, and better than the sum of its individual parts.

8/10

it was the quiter moments which most impressed.

The Bat dancing with The Cat straight out of EYES WIDE SHUT.

:)

or Batman Returns

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

What was the purpose of Selina kidnapping the congressman? I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Oscorp wrote: »
    What was the purpose of Selina kidnapping the congressman? I can't remember.

Brought him with her for a high risk meeting as security (cops will be on the look out for a missing congressman)

or Batman Returns

Er, her rear view mirror was so much impressive!

:P

Er, her rear view mirror was so much impressive!

:P

the fcuk does that even mean? do you think about what you type or just mash your fingers into the keyboard and hope for the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Re: Gordon deducing that Bruce was Batman: Bruce wasn't any normal kid, he was the child of the first family of Gotham, who witnessed the murder of his parents. It was, in all likeliness, something Gordon would have burnt into his mind.

the fcuk does that even mean? do you think about what you type or just mash your fingers into the keyboard and hope for the best?

Sometimes i wonder...

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

First fight scene was epic stuff but after taking a major whipping Batman simply out punches him second time around :rolleyes:.

True, I think Bruce absolutely whaled on Bane in the first fight but to no effect, while in the 2nd fight he did dispatch of Bane relatively easier with perhaps less intensity in how he fought in the first fight.

However, I think this is where the theme of pain comes in. I think that once Bane had realised that Bruce had returned, Bruce had effectively beaten him, as Bruce achieved something Bane never could i.e. climb the pit. Bruce broke Bane mentally in that moment and thus, in a weird way, he became weaker, both mentally and physically. Returning the favour that Bane had dealt out earlier in a way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can someone help me with the interpretation of the final few scenes.

When Commissioner Gordon is seen standing beside the repaired spotlight, has he repaired it, or has he discovered it repaired.

My interpretation was that he had discovered it repaired, and was smiling because he knew Batman was still out there. Hence this new spotlight would be used to "call" Batman (whether Blake or Wayne). The vast majority feel he remade it himself as a tribute?

Just to give some background, my reason for the interpretation is that every character seems to find some hope that Batman is still alive. For example Lucius discovers the Auto Pilot worked, Alfred sees him in Florence, Catwoman has actually joined him and there was no indication that he sent Blake the letters before he "died", so presumably when Blake received the letters he realised Batman survived. So does Gordon discover Batman survived, or is the only one kinda left in the dark?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually think they did a great job illustrating how Wayne overcame the physical superiority of Bane. Huge amounts of the film are dedicated to it. And I really liked the fight scene on the steps - it was a sharp burst of visceral intensity. The determination of Bruce to just ****ing pummel Bane until he was defeated: I felt it extremely satisfying catharsis after spending an hour watching him train himself physically and mentally for the confrontation. Bane actually seemed surprised by the sheer ferocity of the assault. One aspect of the film I genuinely thought they got dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Being completly honest I rate the dark knight rises as the best of the trilogy then bb and lastly tdk. But as someone said before they are all excellent films and to try look at the whole story rather than each film individually. I really loved the way bane took control of the city it was briliant I thought and I really thought some of the best scenes of the whole trilogy took place in the prison pit where Bruce realised he had reacted wrongly to his parents getting murdered and literally did rise to become a better man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I actually think they did a great job illustrating how Wayne overcame the physical superiority of Bane. Huge amounts of the film are dedicated to it. And I really liked the fight scene on the steps - it was a sharp burst of visceral intensity. The determination of Bruce to just ****ing pummel Bane until he was defeated: I felt it extremely satisfying catharsis after spending an hour watching him train himself physically and mentally for the confrontation. Bane actually seemed surprised by the sheer ferocity of the assault. One aspect of the film I genuinely thought they got dead on.

This is going to sound stupid but it reminded me of Rocky III.

Advertisement