Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Otacon wrote: »
    I actually think they did a great job illustrating how Wayne overcame the physical superiority of Bane. Huge amounts of the film are dedicated to it. And I really liked the fight scene on the steps - it was a sharp burst of visceral intensity. The determination of Bruce to just ****ing pummel Bane until he was defeated: I felt it extremely satisfying catharsis after spending an hour watching him train himself physically and mentally for the confrontation. Bane actually seemed surprised by the sheer ferocity of the assault. One aspect of the film I genuinely thought they got dead on.

This is going to sound stupid but it reminded me of Rocky III.

It doesn't sound stupid at all - I thought of Rocky 1 when I saw it. I did enjoy that scene, even if the cliche of two enemies finding each other in a battle was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I have one query after seeing it a second time.

When Gordon is sentenced to exile by Scarecrow Bane asks a hanchmen to bring him Miranda.Then on the ice Batman asks Gordon where Miranda is and Gordon tells him "Bane took her".

In between Catwoman brings Bruce to Lucius and Miranda is there.Bruce tells her "I won't forget you".

Was that a continuity balls up or have I completely missed something?

We know that Miranda was pulling the strings but Bruce had seen her after Gordon had so I am a little confused about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Personally I loved it. Ending and all.
    I never thought , having watched the last series of batman films , that Hollywood would allow someone stay so true to the feel of the comic books with batman.

And I think (unless something incredible happens) that we've seen the definitive version of the dark knight on the screen.

Maybe the last film isn't as strong as those that came before it, but it's a hell of a trilogy. Wouldn't like to be the guy that has to follow Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Can someone explain the start to me, Bane gets on the plane to make sure the CIA know nothing of his plan, is that it? "No brother they expect at least 1 of us in the wreckage" who expects this? Is it so it looks like a lone terrorist hijacked the plane? confuzzled

Also Anne Cathaway is officially the love of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Gandalph wrote: »
    Can someone explain the start to me, Bane gets on the plane to make sure the CIA know nothing of his plan, is that it? "No brother they expect at least 1 of us in the wreckage" who expects this? Is it so it looks like a lone terrorist hijacked the plane? confuzzled

Also Anne Cathaway is officially the love of my life

The CIA lad told them that he phoned in they had only picked up one extra passenger not two.So that extra body had to be accounted for in the wreckage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Gonna bring my 7 year old to this, is it a bit OTT for him do ye think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have one query after seeing it a second time.

When Gordon is sentenced to exile by Scarecrow Bane asks a hanchmen to bring him Miranda.Then on the ice Batman asks Gordon where Miranda is and Gordon tells him "Bane took her".

In between Catwoman brings Bruce to Lucius and Miranda is there.Bruce tells her "I won't forget you".

Was that a continuity balls up or have I completely missed something?

We know that Miranda was pulling the strings but Bruce had seen her after Gordon had so I am a little confused about it.
    This is a hint to the audience as to Miranda's duplicity. We see Bane call her away and then she reappears with Fox, only turn up next to Bane again. When Batman meets Gordon on the ice he doesn't know the order of events.

It's possible scenes were re-arranged a bit during editing, probably because Nolan wanted to soften the blow of the Talia twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It was pretty good, I thought. I don't think it really got going until Bane and Batman met. Definite Joker-shaped hole in the film, though. So not as good as TDK but still not too bad.

Then again, setting up Blake as the new Batman was all well and good for the ending but wouldn't he just be killed the first time he went out? He doesn't have the years of elite ninja training(tm) Wayne had nor did he have the massive fortunes and resources Wayne Enterprises gave Wayne. He's just a normal dude in a really heavy plastic suit. Unless Wayne left an illustrated instruction manual behind as well to help him along.

Also, how old is Bane supposed to be anyway? He's already a grown man when Talia is a kid. She looks like she's in her thirties so he must be pushing fifty at least. I thought that him beating Batman made more sense if he was younger than him.

And it annoys me how the doctor fellow in the prison wouldn't speak any English until he had something profound to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I can't say I understand the people who are in retrospect trying to nitpick the most insignificant things. It would spoil the experience for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

e_e wrote: »
    I can't say I understand the people who are in retrospect trying to nitpick the most insignificant things. It would spoil the experience for me.

It's just part of the fun tbh.

• Advertisement

Yeah me too, i joked to my girlfriend , he needs a montage .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I didn't think the movie was anything special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Kinda wished they'd said something about the joker. Even if they just said he was transferred to a different prison, or executed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

PinkFly wrote: »
    Gonna bring my 7 year old to this, is it a bit OTT for him do ye think?

Too young imo. My daughters 9 next month i wouldn't show it to her (the trilogy) until she's at least 10. Boys are a bit different i guess but i wouldn't take them unless they've seen the first 2 and are comfortable with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Seen it last night.

In terms of film making it was the weakest of the three imo. That still very good just not as good as the other two.

Everything was very predictable and i say that not having watched any of the trailers for it etc.
    I think some of the action scenes lasted too long , and i think with some good editing you could of shaved 20mins off the film and made it a tighter ,better watch.

Also i find Gotham city has lost its atmosphere, remeber back to batman begins, it was a very unique place , now they show it the same as anywhere else .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Saw it last night. My god what an ending...who knew Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers da! :D

I'll have to see it a second time. I've been thinking it over and I'm still undecided. Some points:

- Did anyone else feel like there were scenes that should have been longer? It felt like some parts had been cut to reduce the overall running time. I can't name any particular scene, it's just an odd feeling I have.

- What actually happened to "Bruce Wayne"? In the ending we see that his will is being read and divided out. People know BW is dead but they don't know he's Batman. So I'm trying to figure out how they knew BW had died. Best I can come up with is that they used the "Clean Slate" program to "kill" him off.

- When Alfred is talking to Bruce about going on holidays, seeing him with a family, acknowledging each other and going their separate ways. I just can't reconcile that. How could two people who care for each other so deeply simply walk away like that.

- Bane is a bad-ass. The part where he is kneeling of the special forces soldiers neck, staring into his eyes and he kills him. That's cold. It's brutal. I'm going to stop reading any review where the critic gives out about Bane not having a dark sense of humour. They don't get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »

It was the same with most of the more recent blockbusters. I also think it sucks an awful lot of fun out of film discussion. Yes, the TDKR has flaws and strengths - more of the latter, IMO - but I always prefer looking at the grander scheme of things, not why a character didn't lie down on the ice to disperse his weight (which would have been a terribly exciting scene, I think we can all agree).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Everyone who says they didn't like it/didn't live up to the hype, how many trailers/vignettes did you watch in the lead up to it? Also are you invested in the comics because it's very hard for something to live up to whatever people already have in their heads about scenes and characters. I tried my best to stay away from the hype and went in pretty much just knowing that Bane was the bad guy and that he breaks Batman's back and I thought it was better than TDK.

When I went to Begins it was just because it was on and I had free tickets. I wasn't that big a cinema goer back then but I thought it was really good. When I seen TDK for the first time on the back of all the hype from people telling me how good it is and everything I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I thought that it was a great movie but one of the best of all time? Come on!

This I just had a feeling when the first scene started that this was going to be something special and I left thinking that I had gotten that. There were faults and the ending did annoy me a bit but (and this is what great movies do) I was able to accept those shortcomings and think about the good points and not allow the shortcomings to ruin my experience and they didn't. People I talk to about TDK think I'm overly critical of it and maybe I am but I didn't get what I was expecting as much out of that movie as I did this one and that's why I'd say either this or Begins are the best of the trilogy.

Liam O wrote: »
    Everyone who says they didn't like it/didn't live up to the hype, how many trailers/vignettes did you watch in the lead up to it? Also are you invested in the comics because it's very hard for something to live up to whatever people already have in their heads about scenes and characters. I tried my best to stay away from the hype and went in pretty much just knowing that Bane was the bad guy and that he breaks Batman's back and I thought it was better than TDK.

When I went to Begins it was just because it was on and I had free tickets. I wasn't that big a cinema goer back then but I thought it was really good. When I seen TDK for the first time on the back of all the hype from people telling me how good it is and everything I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I thought that it was a great movie but one of the best of all time? Come on!

This I just had a feeling when the first scene started that this was going to be something special and I left thinking that I had gotten that. There were faults and the ending did annoy me a bit but (and this is what great movies do) I was able to accept those shortcomings and think about the good points and not allow the shortcomings to ruin my experience and they didn't. People I talk to about TDK think I'm overly critical of it and maybe I am but I didn't get what I was expecting as much out of that movie as I did this one and that's why I'd say either this or Begins are the best of the trilogy.

I didnt watch any of the trailers bar the initial one released last december.
    Didnt read any of the comics , and was only a fan from the previous two films really.

To be honest i thought the start and the end of the movie were excellent up there with the best.

The middle section had plenty of overlong scenes which could of been trimmed to cut the movie by 20 minutes maybe , and it would of ended up a tighter movie and a lot better for it. Some of the action scenes could of lost a few minutes and they would of been better for it.

I generally dont knitpick movies and accept minor things, but there was plenty of liitle things wrong which grind a little.

ALSO WHAT THE FECK HAPPEND TO GOTHAM , this movie feels like it could of been shot in any city in the world, there is absolutely none of that gotham atmosphere which every previous Batman film has captured, this movies setting was bland, they should saved some of the special effects budget to use on the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Liam O wrote: »

Just on that point in bold....

I watched every single one of them, as I did for TDK. Yet I came away from the TDKR disappointed and TDK with Jaw touching the floor. Difference was in quality IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Ok, I saw it last night. And to be honest I was massively disappointed, still head and shoulders above most of the other comic book fodder but by far the weakest film in the batman trilogy

First off I felt the first hour and a half was very mundane and could have been easily a half hour shorter

Tom Hardy was brilliant as Bane but I found it very hard to make out a lot of his dialogue. That would be one of my smaller gripes along with there being a few too many cheesy one liners

The biggest issue I had with the film was the unrelenting pace of the last hour. It was bombastic and in a way reminded me of where I thought Inception fell down in its final act. Nolan seems to be developing a tendency for overdoing the frenetic action scenes washed in Zimmer that work so well when less prevalent in TDK and BB

Really enjoyed the Bane - Batman fight scenes though.

Felt the ending was a slight cop-out too.

Overall I enjoyed it but not a patch on the TDK, which is probably the greatest comic book movie of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

How does Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham from the prison near the end of the movie. Wasn't the city in lock down with nobody being allowed over the bridge? And he had time to get all his gadgets and shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Seen it last night.

In terms of film making it was the weakest of the three imo. That still very good just not as good as the other two.

Everything was very predictable and i say that not having watched any of the trailers for it etc.
    I think some of the action scenes lasted too long , and i think with some good editing you could of shaved 20mins off the film and made it a tighter ,better watch.

Also i find Gotham city has lost its atmosphere, remeber back to batman begins, it was a very unique place , now they show it the same as anywhere else .

in the first two, Gotham in under siege pretty much from criminals and corruption.

in this one, it has all been eradicated and there has been peace for 8 years.

you know the bit in the pit prison, when he looks out the first time there is a wall with loads of ladders and cells etc. anyone else think that it looks like one of the sets from Inception?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ALSO WHAT THE FECK HAPPEND TO GOTHAM , this movie feels like it could of been shot in any city in the world, there is absolutely none of that gotham atmosphere which every previous Batman film has captured, this movies setting was bland, they should saved some of the special effects budget to use on the city.
    Might be because Batman Begins focused on The Narrows..

.. where TDK and TDKR were all very much set in Gotham City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Basq wrote: »

Were Begins and TDK shot in Chicago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

How does Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham from the prison near the end of the movie. Wasn't the city in lock down with nobody being allowed over the bridge? And he had time to get all his gadgets and shave.

he doesnt go into detail but he tell selina kyle he knows a secret way into the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Pretty much the same thought I had too. Bane says something to Batman about how all his previous victories have caused him to loose his edge, or something along those lines. Then he gets beaten, goes off and trains/gets the fear of death back (eye of the tiger) then returns to pummel the villain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

He was once one of the richest most powerful men in the world....it's fair to say he has some friends and some contacts.

Also, he is Batman....let's just assume he used a row boat, or more likely he went to Wayne Manor and got some stuff on the way.

Basq wrote: »

Maybe but even a few shots of the wayne building and the rail system etc, would of done no harm , my problem is there was nothing unique in the city, no unique buildings , no unique monuments to let you know , this is GOTHAM.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I feel this was a clear inspiration for the ending

Advertisement