Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Also, the police officers are trapped underground for 3 months and when they rise to the surface they show no fatigue and also none of them have any beard growth. How do you explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Also, the police officers are trapped underground for 3 months and when they rise to the surface they show no fatigue and also none of them have any beard growth. How do you explain that?

I dont.
    Because it doesnt matter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Renn wrote: »
    Were Begins and TDK shot in Chicago?
    Myself and the girlfriend were watching TDK last week.. and she looked up the city it was shot it in and it was definitely Chicago. Unsure about TDKR... for some reason, I don't think it was.
    no unique buildings , no unique monuments to let you know , this is GOTHAM.
    What about Wayne Tower? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Basq wrote: »
    Myself and the girlfriend were watching TDK last week.. and she looked up the city it was shot it in and it was definitely Chicago. Unsure about TDKR... for some reason, I don't think it was.

tdkr was filmed in the city of Pittsburgh and new york

Maybe but even a few shots of the wayne building and the rail system etc, would of done no harm , my problem is there was nothing unique in the city, no unique buildings , no unique monuments to let you know , this is GOTHAM.

True about no landmarks (except wayne tower) but it could be worse.
    Could have highways and observatories held up by giant statues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ricero wrote: »
    tdkr was filmed in the city of Pittsburgh and new york
    Yeah, I remember the football stadium scene being shot in Heinz Field (home ground of the Pittsburgh Steelers).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Basq wrote: »

was there a shot of wayne tower showing the rail links etc all going into it? , i thought it was just a shot of a random building with wayne written on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Anybody else kinda laugh at how silly/out of place The Bat looked?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

was there a shot of wayne tower showing the rail links etc all going into it? , i thought it was just a shot of a random building with wayne written on it??

Yeah it was just a random building....but obviously when Gordon took down that portion of the railway track in Begins the sensible thing to do was to take down the whole railway system rather than replacing that section, this in turn led to having to redesign large parts of the city.....obviously.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Id say they were all fairly stinking coming out of there. In need of shower and a clean jox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I loved the geeky nod to Batman Returns... Not so much the geeky nod to Batman & Robin though...

Renn wrote: »
    Anybody else kinda laugh at how silly/out of place The Bat looked?

i thought it was really cool. end of the day the movies set in the future so it cant look out of place :p. still think Nolan could return to this franchise in a few years down the line with Bale and do a dark knight returns story with the joker

i thought it was really cool. end of the day the movies set in the future so it cant look out of place :p. still think Nolan could return to this franchise a few years down the line with Bale and do a dark knight returns story with the joker

People do seem to be forgetting its a few years into the future. I expect hoverboards by then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's just part of the fun tbh.
    I highly disagree, it's incredibly pedantic and steers attention away from far more important aspects of the film. Like people are actually fishing for things to complain about.

e_e wrote: »
    I highly disagree, it's incredibly pedantic and steers attention away from far more important aspects of the film. Like people are actually fishing for things to complain about.

some men just want to see the film fail ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn't think The Bat fit in with Nolan's world at all. It seemed like a cheap way out of a few narrative dead-ends.

Literally in one-case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah but theres silly stuff to complain about like the ice thing, and then theres cops living underground with no running water or medical supplies for 3 months, strolling straight out into daylight and having a ruck with hundreds of armed mercenaries. all in clean uniforms and beardless, a couple of shots showing ragged looking cops or guys being helped out from fatigue or guys looking exhausted but willing to fight anyway could have solved that instantly.

some men just want to see the film fail ;)

.....some men just want to watch the world burn....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I didn't think The Bat fit in with Nolan's world at all. It seemed like a cheap way out of a few narrative dead-ends.

Literally in one-case :pac:

I didnt mind it so much in the trailers when it looks like it can only hover a few feet off the ground, ok I can buy that, but this thing is flying around the city hundreds of feet up and acting like a jetfighter, it felt more cartoonish than the previous movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don't think so. People are discussing the film, including bits they liked, disliked and have questions about. That's the whole point of a forum dedicated to discussion.

I enjoyed the film a lot. I probably wouldn't rank it as high as TDK but definitely on par with Batman Begins. I thought Hathaway was excellent, as was Joseph Gordon Levitt. Caine and Oldman were as solid as always. I'd much prefer the final shot of the film to be Alfred in Florence looking up, getting a look of recognition followed by a smile and a nod. I didn't think it was necessary to show Bruce and Selina.

I think a rewatch is in order to answer some questions I have. Mostly about Bane's backstory. It was said that he was born in the pit, and later he says he didn't see daylight until he was a man. But then it turned out that he wasn't the child born in the pit they had been talking about. So was he also born in the pit? I think there were clues along the way that the child wasn't Bane, but I didn't catch them until I thought back over the film. Like they said that Bane wore the mask because the doctor messed up while trying to help him in the pit. But when we saw the child escape it wasn't wearing a mask. Plus again the child escaped the pit when she was young, and Bane, as above said he didn't see daylight until he was a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I went to see this last night and the overwhelming feeling I brought with me when coming out of the cinema was... well, that the bar was set too high with The Dark Knight. TDK is one of my favourite films but TDKR wouldn't even make the top 50.

Regarding Nolan's trilogy as a whole this is definitely the weakest installment, while still remaining a really good film. I wasn't too bothered with Batman Begins when it first came out, I thought it was good but nothing out of the ordinary. The reason for TDK's success had to be the controversial death of Heath Ledger, and his performance in TDK was justly crowned with an Oscar, making the movie something "bigger" than just another superhero flick, there was a certain feel of grandour to the production - starting with the music, the cameras and the sets, all the way to the acting, the storyline and the special effects.

For me, there was always something off about The Dark Knight Rises, starting with the title and the choice of Bane as main villain (I'll never get over the fact that the Riddler wasn't used - him and the Penguin were the only villains that could have lived up to the malice of the Joker, Bane was always going to be a disaster). I remember everyone gasping in the cinema at Joker's "magic trick" in TDK - there were never moments like that with Bane. The audience actually ends up feeling sorry for him at the end. It just seemed like Nolan burned himself out after Inception and this was always going to be solid, but not amazing.

I felt like there was too little Batman in what is still supposed to be a Batman movie. The introduction of many comic book characters felt forced for the sake of pleasing fanboys, rather than serving any real purpose. The film lacked a sense of grittiness, as someone already has said above, especially in the scene where The Man Who Broke the Bat gains his grim nom de guerre. The introduction of the flying vehicle felt very Transformerish and the final battle scene in the city was taken straight out of The Avengers/Transformers 3/some other cliched action flick that comes out every summer.

Take the hand-to-hand combat showdown at the steps near the end. If that had taken place at night in the rain, it would have had a much more epic feel to it. Little things like that just failed to create that atmosphere of danger that you had a sense of with the Joker in TDK. Bane's dialogue was often incomprehensible which made it hard to take him seriously, despite a large physical presence. The fighting looked cripplingly fake also, it seemed like Bane and Batman were both trying to move through a jelly-like substance while throwing punches, it was actually horrible. Bane's death was a joke, only worked to serve up a punchline for Hathaway, who I thought was good throughout. The classic scene where the film's villain explains EXACTLY how they're planning to take over the world/blow up the city/kill the protagonist's wife/etc., which gives Gordon time to disarm the bomb was so painfully bad, I couldn't believe I was watching a Nolan film.

Climbing out of the pit was a good idea, but the fact that he just did a few push-ups to fix his vertebrae and eventually leap out of the prison felt lazy. Also, why was he there in the first place? I understand that Bane wanted him to watch Gotham burn, but we see Wayne breaking the TV screen at one point, which he could have done immediately and ruined Bane's torture plans :rolleyes:. I don't wanna pick at details like that, but TDK was so tight compared to this that the overall feeling of laziness with the script - which includes cheesy one-liners, the first hour of introducing useless characters and the Angels and Demons ending - really permeates through.

The best thing about this movie for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. His character was the most interesting part of the storyline. I also half-expected DiCaprio to make a cameo near the end to complete the Inception feel. The music was awesome. I might go see this in the cinema again if I have time, but what I would really love to do is throw TDK on the DVD player and enjoy the best superhero film ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw it yesterday. It was still a very good movie, but...it wasn't the film I wanted. I'll have to gather my thoughts on it, but unlike 1 & 2, I wasn't beaming leaving the theatre. Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. I think maybe it lies in Bane overall, and the overall tone. I guess the story didn't grip me as much. The cameos were awesome.

There was a lot more jokey lines in this one. I guess it's to counter the serious tone but i'm not huge on parodying lines from the first. I guess the tone was more depressed than dark & brooding, if that makes sense. i really liked how it tied into the first film; i just watched Batman Begins last night. Tonally (i don't know if that's the right word) was more of a continuation of BB rather than TDK if that makes sense. Everything in a neat package, great call backs - great foresight smile.gif

Catwoman - Best incarnation of Catwoman, would've liked to have seen her more fleshed out, but she's contending for screen time with so many others.
    Bane - Maybe i didn't like the movie because i wasn't blown away by Bane. I don't like his look or his british robot voice. I get he's a completely different villain than Joker, but I felt it was a step down; Bane's a 2nd tier baddie it's hard to take him that serious. Like he was booked strong in the movie (I loved the first fight scene with him) but he didn't feel like a massive threat. Maybe it's screen presence or some knobby word for it but Joker's actions and words had so much more gravity to them. I didn't like how quickly he was jobbed out during the 2nd encounter, Batman squashed him pretty quick...I guess Batman knew how to beat him easier ("punch him in the face").

Although it was finely executed, did they need the Blake storyline at all if this is the last of Nolan's Trilogy? I would've preferred that time spent on Catwoman and Bane.

As a doctor I wasn't overly keen on the medical wizardry of fixing a broken back with a punch...what was Bane's deal for his mask again? That seemed a bit dodgy. Being able to jump farther 'if you really want to'? Some other things required more suspension of disbelief than I usually give Nolan's batman films! ha.

The Lazarus pit was interesting but i'm not huge on stories told in flashback form. I thought it looked better in the trailer but it wasn't very maze-like in the film. I guess it didn't need to be told really, I was fine with 'he's part of the Leagie-weegies'. I'm nitpicking but surely there's a smarter way to cross that gap in the wall. I also didn't like how people who weren't part of the League of Shadows knew who batman was, that they figured it out. That's a big deal but it was just tossed in there.

Overall I did enjoy the film - I admit here i'm focusing on the negatives because I want to explain why I was disappointed. It goes without saying that in general the characters, script, set-pieces etc were all top notch. It was still really cool, but after seeing Batman Begins yesterday, (Dark Knight is my 2nd favourite film). It wasn't as beautiful as the 2nd film, which I thought was absolutely gorgeous. This is definitely the worst of the three IMO. The story really rounded out Batman Begins so I was quite happy with that, all the pieces slotted together. It's still a......7.5-8/10 film but...I can't help but feel a bit let down by it. It's fantastic others think it's 10/10 film - I guess it wasn't what I wanted, I didn't like the depressing tone or seeing Wayne hobble around for an hour. It was different and original, but it was a step down IMO.

I went to see this last night and the overwhelming feeling I brought with me when coming out of the cinema was... well, that the bar was set too high with The Dark Knight. TDK is one of my favourite films but TDKR wouldn't even make the top 50.

Regarding Nolan's trilogy as a whole this is definitely the weakest installment, while still remaining a really good film. I wasn't too bothered with Batman Begins when it first came out, I thought it was good but nothing out of the ordinary. The reason for TDK's success had to be the controversial death of Heath Ledger, and his performance in TDK was justly crowned with an Oscar, making the movie something "bigger" than just another superhero flick, there was a certain feel of grandour to the production - starting with the music, the cameras and the sets, all the way to the acting, the storyline and the special effects.

For me, there was always something off about The Dark Knight Rises, starting with the title and the choice of Bane as main villain (I'll never get over the fact that the Riddler wasn't used - him and the Penguin were the only villains that could have lived up to the malice of the Joker, Bane was always going to be a disaster). I remember everyone gasping in the cinema at Joker's "magic trick" in TDK - there were never moments like that with Bane. The audience actually ends up feeling sorry for him at the end. It just seemed like Nolan burned himself out after Inception and this was always going to be solid, but not amazing.

I felt like there was too little Batman in what is still supposed to be a Batman movie. The introduction of many comic book characters felt forced for the sake of pleasing fanboys, rather than serving any real purpose. The film lacked a sense of grittiness, as someone already has said above, especially in the scene where The Man Who Broke the Bat gains his grim nom de guerre. The introduction of the flying vehicle felt very Transformerish and the final battle scene in the city was taken straight out of The Avengers/Transformers 3/some other cliched action flick that comes out every summer.

Take the hand-to-hand combat showdown at the steps near the end. If that had taken place at night in the rain, it would have had a much more epic feel to it. Little things like that just failed to create that atmosphere of danger that you had a sense of with the Joker in TDK. Bane's dialogue was often incomprehensible which made it hard to take him seriously, despite a large physical presence. The fighting looked cripplingly fake also, it seemed like Bane and Batman were both trying to move through a jelly-like substance while throwing punches, it was actually horrible. Bane's death was a joke, only worked to serve up a punchline for Hathaway, who I thought was good throughout. The classic scene where the film's villain explains EXACTLY how they're planning to take over the world/blow up the city/kill the protagonist's wife/etc., which gives Gordon time to disarm the bomb was so painfully bad, I couldn't believe I was watching a Nolan film.

Climbing out of the pit was a good idea, but the fact that he just did a few push-ups to fix his vertebrae and eventually leap out of the prison felt lazy. Also, why was he there in the first place? I understand that Bane wanted him to watch Gotham burn, but we see Wayne breaking the TV screen at one point, which he could have done immediately and ruined Bane's torture plans :rolleyes:. I don't wanna pick at details like that, but TDK was so tight compared to this that the overall feeling of laziness with the script - which includes cheesy one-liners, the first hour of introducing useless characters and the Angels and Demons ending - really permeates through.

The best thing about this movie for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. His character was the most interesting part of the storyline. I also half-expected DiCaprio to make a cameo near the end to complete the Inception feel. The music was awesome. I might go see this in the cinema again if I have time, but what I would really love to do is throw TDK on the DVD player and enjoy the best superhero film ever made.

so since he breaks the tv, bruce will just forget all about whats happening to his beloved city and why hes in a terrible prison :rolleyes:. some people are nit picking this film far to much but i suppose its due to the hype and how good tdk was previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

jaykhunter wrote: »
    'Leagie-weegies'

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Actually just came across this....Wayne tower not being Wayne tower in the second movie.

Standoff.jpg

so since he breaks the tv, bruce will just forget all about whats happening to his beloved city and why hes in a terrible prison :rolleyes:. some people are nit picking this film far to much but i suppose its due to the hype and how good tdk was previous

I find it funny people pointing out mistakes and things that could have been done differently here while claiming TDK was constantly tight. It had just as many messy parts even outside the boat scene at the end. (Sonar around all gotham, no cops anywhere in the city closer to 1 of 2 exact addresses given, bringing corrupt accountant from hong kong to gotham without any issue, many magical school buses appearing and nobody noticing that one comes out of a bank with a big hole in the walll or drove into it in the 1st place). Time covers over a lot of mess in peoples minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Have to disagree, the first fight between bane and bruce provoked stunned silence, it was an iconic moment in this franchise, right up there with the joker's best moments.

A lot of people seem to be comparing bane to the joker and saying he wasnt as good a villian but really I dont see that either. The joker was complete chaos. Batmans opposite who just wanted everything to tear itself apart and people seemed to be expecting the same from Bane. Theatrical, exciting with destruction everywhere.
    Bane was never like that. He's not Batmans opposite. He's his match or better. Physically stronger, mentally stronger, just as smart and tactical. Joker tried everything to make Batman crack but couldnt. Bane did. Destroyed both batmans and bruces life. Send him bankrupt, made him lose everything including alfred, beat him physically and mentally. He might not be as fancy a villain but hes much better a villain then people seem to give him credit for. (2nd rate my arse)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Went to see it in Blanch at 10 in the morning. Told the missus I was going for a walk and arrived home 3 hours later ha.

Anyway I was furious with the cinema, the left the spot lights on around the screen because there was no lights on the stairs in the rows!

I enjoyed the film but will need to give it a 2nd viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Fav Bane moment is the conversation and disposal of Daggett, the moment when he places his hand on his shoulder and says "do you feel in charge", and then looking down on him explaining his plans.

Magic.

Advertisement