Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hrududu wrote: »
    I don't think so. People are discussing the film, including bits they liked, disliked and have questions about. That's the whole point of a forum dedicated to discussion.
    I agree on all of this but I think these people would get so much more out of the film if they just let it wash over them and make them feel instead of viewing every scene on some objectively logical level. A lot of it is so irrelevant and I reckon if they re-watched Begins and TDK in the same state they'd find just as many (very very) slight issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Gintonious wrote: »
    Fav Bane moment is the conversation and disposal of Daggett, the moment when he places his hand on his shoulder and says "do you feel in charge", and then looking down on him explaining his plans.

Magic.

Fav Bane moment has to be when he says that kid has a lovely lovely voice or something along those lines :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it funny people pointing out mistakes and things that could have been done differently here while claiming TDK was constantly tight. It had just as many messy parts even outside the boat scene at the end. (Sonar around all gotham, no cops anywhere in the city closer to 1 of 2 exact addresses given, bringing corrupt accountant from hong kong to gotham without any issue, many magical school buses appearing and nobody noticing that one comes out of a bank with a big hole in the walll or drove into it in the 1st place). Time covers over a lot of mess in peoples minds.

Another peculiar criticism being levelled at the film is the overuse of music as if it's a new thing with the series. Sure the score is uninspiring at times, but rewatch the first fifteen-twenty minutes of The Dark Knight particularly and it plays like one of cinema's most extended montages due to the constant pumping music.

The one discussion I feel is being unfortunately lost in din is concerning the overall thematic arc of the series. I genuinely felt this was a fantastic continuation in this regard - building on the prevalent issues of both Batman Begins and Dark Knight, while adding a few neat tricks of its own. I'd compare it to Toy Story 3 - a film that was clearly never intended to exist from the off, but builds upon the foundations of its predecessors beautifully. The greatest trick Nolan pulls off is managing to create three individual stories that work on their own terms, but also crating an accidental trilogy that has various interesting resonances as a single whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I felt that blowing up the bridges and isolating Gotham was a bit too much like Batman Begins. The movie felt like the first one with a slightly different cast. Bane was interesting, but the fact is that the movie, for me, was a 4/10 movie. The movie was good up until the Batman/Bane fight scene (which I liked) but just went downhill from there...I mean I audibly sighed at least five times during the movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ I haven't seen many people dissing the amount of music in the film, just the mixing thereof.
    But to be honest, apart from the opening scene on the plane (which I posted about earlier in the thread) I don't actually think that's down to the film's editing, it's the sound system of the theatre you're in. Some sound systems prioritize bass too much and there's nothing the film's editors can do about that. Even TV sets have this issue, mine has very poor mixing which nearly always results in background sound drowning out dialogue. The same DVD on a mate's TV set produces perfect sound clarity.

Only solution here is to adopt an audio standard and try to get all the theatres to follow it. Does anyone know if TDKR was mastered with Dolby, for example? Because if it was, it's going to sound best in cinemas with a Dolby system.

Again, I don't think there's anything the creators of the film can do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another peculiar criticism being levelled at the film is the overuse of music as if it's a new thing with the series. Sure the score is uninspiring at times, but rewatch the first fifteen-twenty minutes of The Dark Knight particularly and it plays like one of cinema's most extended montages due to the constant pumping music.

I dunno if it was intentional or not but I think the overuse of music prior to the scene where Bane 'breaks the bat' heightens the impact of the lack of music in that particular scene.

Personally when I watch a film I am so caught up on the dialogue or action on the screen that I rarely notice if the music is playing in the background or not but with that scene the silence really stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I find it funny people pointing out mistakes and things that could have been done differently here while claiming TDK was constantly tight. It had just as many messy parts even outside the boat scene at the end. (Sonar around all gotham, no cops anywhere in the city closer to 1 of 2 exact addresses given, bringing corrupt accountant from hong kong to gotham without any issue, many magical school buses appearing and nobody noticing that one comes out of a bank with a big hole in the walll or drove into it in the 1st place). Time covers over a lot of mess in peoples minds.

ha yeah the opening of TDK is ridiculous, Jokers bus just drives into a line of other buses after emerging from A WALL. and none of the other drivers bat an eyelid or anthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

e_e wrote: »
    I highly disagree, it's incredibly pedantic and steers attention away from far more important aspects of the film. Like people are actually fishing for things to complain about.

everyone is a critic on the internet these days.

I can imagine if the internet was around for the likes of The Godfather, Aliens etc on release, people would be picking holes in them all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Having slept on it I now can't get over how stupid that movie was, I've gone to thinkning it was pretty meh to thinking it was just not good. Too many missed opportunities and lazy writing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Excuse people for not thinking this film is the second coming of Christ and trying to verbalise why they were disappointed! Maybe we should lie and say we loved it absolutely and fully and close the thread.

Bane definitely did more than anyone else to bring down Wayne/Batman - he was booked great in the film as I said - but from a character point of view I didn't think his lines, his look or his presence - wasn't blown away by it. Maybe it's a post-production issue & somewhat hilarious voice. Others have said it's because you can't see his mouth and that takes away from emoting. Maybe it's because he was ultimately a henchmen of the Ghuls, but I wasn't feeling it throughout the entire movie. He was able to outsmart/beat Batman but he was about brute force. I wondered why Batman was having such trouble with him, use your brain! I know his tricks don't work on Bane, I found it odd 2nd time around that Batman basically did the same thing (come at him fist-fighting) and was able to overcome Bane easily enough.

In terms of creating a 3-film story arc it was exceptional - really impressive, it was different to the two previous films, but IMO going in a different direction (more depressed tone) than TDK means a worse film. Much like most things in the film, the action set-pieces were very good, but not as good. For example, dismantling a plane is pretty cool, just not as cool as the bank heist. Others liked it better, that's great. I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Excuse people for not thinking this film is the second coming of Christ and trying to verbalise why they were disappointed! Maybe we should lie and say we loved it absolutely and fully and close the thread.

Bane definitely did more than anyone else to bring down Wayne/Batman - he was booked great in the film as I said - but from a character point of view I didn't think his lines, his look or his presence - wasn't blown away by it. Maybe it's a post-production issue & somewhat hilarious voice. Others have said it's because you can't see his mouth and that takes away from emoting. Maybe it's because he was ultimately a henchmen of the Ghuls, but I wasn't feeling it throughout the entire movie. He was able to outsmart/beat Batman but he was about brute force. I wondered why Batman was having such trouble with him, use your brain! I know his tricks don't work on Bane, I found it odd 2nd time around that Batman basically did the same thing (come at him fist-fighting) and was able to overcome Bane easily enough.
    Mental advantage over Bane (returning from the pit that bane couldnt achieve) plus more information. He knew the mask was needed to deal with the constant the pain and targeted it. Broke one part sending Bane into extreme pain and giving him an adrenaline rush. Broke it again a couple of times before kicking him through the window.
    Plus he was actually ready for the fight and knew what had to be done. He went into the 1st fight an unprepared broken man.

H wasn't that broken, He could kick through walls somehow

al28283 wrote: »
    He'd lost his company, his money, his posessions and alfred (the only constant thing in his life) + he rushed into a fight with an opponent he was completely unprepared for. Thats a broken bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Training is nothing, will is everything. ;) Bane lost the will the moment he realised Bruce had returneed.

In terms of creating a 3-film story arc it was exceptional - really impressive, it was different to the two previous films, but IMO going in a different direction (more depressed tone) than TDK means a worse film. Much like most things in the film, the action set-pieces were very good, but not as good. For example, dismantling a plane is pretty cool, just not as cool as the bank heist. Others liked it better, that's great. I didn't.

You have to remember that not much time transpired between Batman putting the costume back on and the first fight with Bane, he would have been rusty and out of practice, by the time the second fight came around he had months of training and pent up aggression at having to watch what his city was going through to get him through the fight. He also knew the second time that he couldn't use the darkness to his advantage so just had to come at him full on which he may not have done in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here Fox says that in time Wayne will be able to establish fraud and regain his fortune. Why doesn't he? Or at minimum why wouldn't Alfred (if only to clear Wayne's name).

So are people pretty sure there will be another one then?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Here Fox says that in time Wayne will be able to establish fraud and regain his fortune. Why doesn't he? Or at minimum why wouldn't Alfred (if only to clear Wayne's name).

So are people pretty sure there will be another one then?

No. Thats it for Nolan & Bale anyway

im not saying that, but having a quick look through the thread:
    also, with the exile stuff - no one smart enough to lie on the ice to give a greater dispersion of weight across the ice, as you would do on an iced lake. No one? Not one person?
    JayRoc wrote: »
    I wasn't confused, as said they gave an "explanation", but it was meaningless.
    Do masks like that exist? Along with the "bat" that was a bit too close to science-fiction for me, it just seemed silly and out of place in a series that aims for relatively gritty realism, albeit while having a vigilante dress up as a bat...

we have people saying they ending could be a dream (are you kidding me???)

we have people saying that bruce got back to gotham too quick, got into the city too easily (He didnt get back that quick. Hadnt the bomb got 23 days, ye he only got back on the last one? And he's bloody batman!! also was once of the richest men in the world, he could pull a few strings)

People are nitpicking far too much.
    Its not perfect, but show me which film is?

A lot of people are going way overboard on the praise, but on the same hand, people are going overboard on the criticism.

Training is nothing, will is everything. ;) Bane lost the will the moment he realised Bruce had returneed.

I was kinda more pointing out they he was a lot more superpowered in this. Kicking through walls? And Bane punching through walls like he's in the matrix? The other movies at least pretended to be realistic but this kinda jumped the shark a bit. at least for me.

Along with that there didn't seem to be much buildup with Bane in Gotham, There was that fight with Catwoman that lead straight down to the sewers and then suddenly Gordon was in his lair. And then woke up mumbling about Bane, did they ever mention his name down there?

After that it was like Bane was just there, everyone seemed to know about him. And Alfred spitting out his whole backstory with the LoS to Wayne. It just felt very rushed and sudden.

Maybe there were some stuff cut from the first hour of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I loved the part when himself and Bane are fighting on the steps and after Bane is in agony because the mask is detached he just leathers into Batman with a flurry of punches and knocks a chunk out of the pillar, cool moment.

• Advertisement

After that it was like Bane was just there, everyone seemed to know about him. And Alfred spitting out his whole backstory with the LoS to Wayne. It just felt very rushed and sudden.

He led a revolution in Africa, so that was how he was known about....maybe the Nolan Universe is so realistic that everyone on Facebook shared a viral video explaining what Bane was up to in an attempt to create some public awareness.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He led a revolution in Africa, so that was how he was known about....maybe the Nolan Universe is so realistic that everyone on Facebook shared a viral video explaining what Bane was up to in an attempt to create some public awareness.

Bane 2016 :pac:

Bane 2016 :pac:

#StopBane

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Catwoman - Best incarnation of Catwoman, would've liked to have seen her more fleshed out

Agreed; a shower scene at least! :pac:

I very much enjoyed most of the film, but I wish I had left the film five minutes early, the ending was unbelievably naff. Not as good as BB, but far superior to The Dark ****e. Joker nutcases on the internet were always going to rag on this film and Bane was never going to be good enough for them.

I was kinda more pointing out they he was a lot more superpowered in this. Kicking through walls? And Bane punching through walls like he's in the matrix? The other movies at least pretended to be realistic but this kinda jumped the shark a bit. at least for me.

Along with that there didn't seem to be much buildup with Bane in Gotham, There was that fight with Catwoman that lead straight down to the sewers and then suddenly Gordon was in his lair. And then woke up mumbling about Bane, did they ever mention his name down there?

Maybe there were some stuff cut from the first hour of the movie.

well batman only kicked through a wall as he had an attachment on his leg

and are you aware of Bane from the comics? He is well able to punch through walls, its not jumping the shark at all

event wrote: »
    well batman only kicked through a wall as he had an attachment on his leg

and are you aware of Bane from the comics? He is well able to punch through walls, its not jumping the shark at all

Oh, an attachment, that explains it. And yes I'm aware of Bane from the comics, I'm also aware that Rha's was over 600 years old in the comics but they didn't go that route with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah, as someone pointed out, Bane punched through a pillar but Bruce kicked through one too. The only surreal moment of power that Bane displayed (in context) was when he lifted Bruce and kneed him in the back.

I'm still shocked by that moment, don't know what to think of it. Seeing it again tomorrow anyway.

Yeah, as someone pointed out, Bane punched through a pillar but Bruce kicked through one too. The only surreal moment of power that Bane displayed (in context) was when he lifted Bruce and kneed him in the back.

I'm still shocked by that moment, don't know what to think of it. Seeing it again tomorrow anyway.

Im in love with that moment. Always have been.
    Bane_breaks_Batman.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I thought Bane was a great villain, possibly better than the joker IMO, the only problem was his anticlimactic death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I thought Bane was a great villain, possibly better than the joker IMO, the only problem was his anticlimactic death.

There was another problem, as I pointed out, he actually does spend an awful lot of his screen time just hanging about the place!!! Also, whilst I did understand the voice, I agree that it seemed out of place and they could have done something else with it

Advertisement