Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

errlloyd wrote: »
    I take issue with how **** Bane's tumblers were compared to Batman's.

I also find it weird that he broke into the armoury, and apparently all he stole was tumblers?

The average tumbler was designed to bridge small gaps, Batmans was modified for urban warfare, certainly more modified than anything left in the applied science division.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Just back from seeing it a second time. I enjoyed it much, much more. I got more of an emotional kick from it than the first time round. Goosebumps at the end as well. Went with my friend, who was left speechless :D

On a side note, anyone else think that the actor playing Dagget's assistant was the spit of Willem Dafoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I saw it yesterday morning and my feelings walking out of the cinema were unlike any I've had before for any other film. I'm not even a huge Batman fan per se (it's always been Star Wars for me) but The Dark Knight Rises is as close to perfection as I think anyone can get with that kind of subject matter. Christopher Nolan excelled himself with TDK but he has brought film-making onto another level with this.

When I saw Batman head out to sea to seemingly make that kind of sacrifice I knew the tears would come and sure enough they did. When the lights went up I saw more than a few eyes being dabbed with tissues! The last scenes were incredibly powerful and so emotionally resonant. And Hans Zimmer's brilliant soundtrack just made it even better. I just didn't want it to end.

I feel truly honoured to have watched a film like that. The hairs are still standing up on the back of my neck nearly 12 hours later. The stadium scene, the cops charging towards the prisoners, Batman standing guard over the city, the bomb going off...

Maybe the best way I can sum it all up is that when I ran out to go for a piss during the show trials scene (I was bursting) I made my absence as short as possible by not washing my hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Saw it for the second time this afternoon, it's much, much better the second time around. Which is saying a lot, since I thought it was incredibly epic the first time to begin with.

The Bane's voice at the start thing wasn't so annoying this time. Perhaps the reason I noticed the redub so much was because I'd obsessively watched the prologue beforehand so I literally have the dialogue memorized like a song, it was like hearing a song being performed live when you're expecting the album version or something :P

I have just one complaint: Batman is... kind of a pussy. Selina Kyle sells him out to be tortured and have his back broken by Bane and he goes crawling back to her for the sake of some tongue action? C'mon Bruce, we know you don't get it all that often but for the love of God have some self respect :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Besides, I think a shot of Alfred just smiling would have frustrated and annoyed audiences more than anything else (see The Sopranos). At least with the current ending most people will take it at face value that Bruce survived, while the people who have difficulty believing it was possible for him to do so have their "dream" theory.

You say that as if pissing off audiences is a bad thing :P Ambiguity FTW!

Nah, I don't really mind the shot of Batman and Selina, but I would have had a big ol' grin on my face if they had left that single shot out. I had absolutely no bother with the ending (I thought it was extremely satisfying), but as a personal preference I would have preferred Nolan to have trusted the audience and just excised that single shot. Again, that's just me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Also, was anyone else physically exhausted after seeing it the first time? Not sure if it was the adrenaline of the movie, trying to keep up with it, or the excitement of seeing a movie I'd been waiting for half a year, but I literally came home from it, KO'ed on my sofa and slept for about 3 hours!

Just seen this tonight. Not the biggest Batman fan in the world. Seen the Dark Knight, but hadn't seen Batman Begins.

I thought it was a good film, but not great. Too many points glossed over (how did Batman make it back to the city from his hole, for example?) and far too much unnecessary and cheesy dialogue (most of it randomly thrown in during the fight scenes).

The kiss before Batman leaves was also extremely hammy.

As I say, not the biggest Batman fan in the world, but just found that everytime I was just on the verge of suspending reality and forgetting I was sitting in a cinema, a character would say something that'd have me rolling my eyes or cringing.

The only other thing that bugged me were the group fight scenes (several people VS few people). Even in a film that's got a massive budget, a script that's been revised god knows how many times and some of the biggest acting names in the world, they still haven't managed to find away around having people standing with machine guns, looking at the person they're supposed to kill, and taking turns being beat up by him (in the rooftop fight with batman and your one, all these guys are just standing around looking at Batman, and individually attacking him. It's like something you'd see in a poorly put together WWE match).

I know it's not based on real events, etc. so you're supposed to suspend reality and not really acknowledge those things and just take it for what it is, but I really felt like it was letting itself down at times. If it was a random 'popcorn flick' with explosions for the sake of explosions, that'd be grand, but it's just because it takes itself so seriously that these minor things look more notable and obvious.

My thought on the ending is that it wasn't supposed to be a dream or such. I think it was supposed to be 'real'.

All in all, a good film, doesn't feel like it lasted as long as it did (never a bad thing) and I really liked Bane's character, but it was ultimately let down by having unnecessary, cheesy dialogue that completely took me out of it at times.

I'm no critic, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

There is absolutely nothing in the movie to imply that the end was a dream!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everything that happened after Liam Neeson appeared was in fact Bruce Wayne's fever dream as he lay on his death bed. The cut to black was his demise, and the Florence scene was set in heaven. Selina and Alfred also died for some reason.

Everything that happened after Liam Neeson appeared was in fact Bruce Wayne's fever dream as he lay on his death bed. The cut to black was his demise, and the Florence scene was set in heaven. Selina and Alfred also died for some reason.

You fool, it was all Levitt's dream. After the credits he wakes up on a plane with Leonardo Di Caprio

Also, I really, really loved the image of "Robin" swinging through the waterfall. My biggest problem with Nolan taking on these movies from the very start is that he wasnt a very visual director but there are a few moments throughout the series that are iconic and i think that was a great touch

http://www.zoom-comics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/batman-and-robin-swinging-500x375.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I don't have permission :(

You mean Batpermission? Not the same image but similar

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/978/85946-796-105811-1-batman_super.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nah, I don't really mind the shot of Batman and Selina, but I would have had a big ol' grin on my face if they had left that single shot out. I had absolutely no bother with the ending (I thought it was extremely satisfying), but as a personal preference I would have preferred Nolan to have trusted the audience and just excised that single shot. Again, that's just me :)

I don't know a single person who wouldnt have had Alfred just nod, smile and cut to black, it would have been perfect , really wish they hadnt shown Bruce and Selina. gahhh, damn writers wanting to please audiences and wrap everything up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Skadoosh! wrote: »

I don't know a single person who wouldnt have had Alfred just nod, smile and cut to black, it would have been perfect , really wish they hadnt shown Bruce and Selina. gahhh, damn writers wanting to please audiences and wrap everything up!

Why is it such a big deal? I liked to ending, we get to see Bruce finally becoming Happy. It was a beautiful ending.

krudler wrote: »

That's what I would've preferred, it's not like it would've been particularly ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's what I would've preferred, it's not like it would've been particularly ambiguous.
    Even with the way they did it people are trying to claim its a dream (fcuking inception). If it just did a cut to black thered be murder (after the Sopranos ending it was lunacy and conspiracy theories ahoy)

Even with the way they did it people are trying to claim its a dream (fcuking inception).

Let them. Would've made for a handy test for who to pay attention to :pac:

Let them. Would've made for a handy test for who to pay attention to :pac:

Mass bannings for anyone who claimed it :pac:

I was actually expecting it to end with Alfred looking up & smiling. Blake rising on the batcaves platform was exactly the right final shot though

Mass bannings for anyone who claimed it :pac:

Between that and the "breaking through concrete isn't realistic compared to the other two films" I'm learning quite a lot about this forum quite quickly. :)

Right I bought the score for this (have the other 2 so had to be done).
    Going great. Some recogniseable cues and enjoyable to listen to.
    Except for some Junkie XL remix. Why the fcuk would you put a trance track on this album!
    Its one of the itunes bonus tracks but still!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 doireliath

I watched the film on Saturday, wasn't really expecting it to be anything like the last one, but wow! Best thing I've watched in years, really sets the bar to a new height.

Re the ending, agree with Krudler, Alfred just nodding would have been the perfect ending to an amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

krudler wrote: »

As soon as the film ended I said this to my mate. I honestly thought he was gonna cut it there.
    As you said it would have been perfect, the perfect ending. As usual with Nolan it would have left the was he/wasnt he there.

Still I thought it cutting with Blake in the Batcave was a good way to end it also. Him rising up to the mantle of being Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mark Hamill records Bane's speech from The Dark Knight Rises as Joker..

Best...Joker.....Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

It's not actually Mark Hamill it's a guy impersonating him! All the more impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What did people think of Commissioner Gordon's story line? I felt this was the weakest part of the movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed it though. Bane's accent, presence and black humour was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Saw last night, not read any reactions as yet, but do people really think that's it? What's this Inception/"dream"-ending bs? He clearly survived. Seemed to me like the franchise was left very much open to possible continuation.

Enjoyed it overall, but it had all the usual Nolan Batman over-the-topness that people seem content to look past (remember how in TDK the Joker's bank job involved crashing a bus through the side of the wall, then having it drive out the massive gaping hole in the wall and joining a line of buses...with nobody batting *har-har* a ****ing eyelid?) Phew I'm so relieved that nuclear weapon exploded just offshore, that's so not going to cause any problems...anyone else think of True Lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Loved it, loved it.

Although some of the action sequences were a bit over-long for my liking (personal preference, I know some people would have enjoyed every second), and some of the comic-book one-liners seemed to jar with the tone of the rest of the movie.

I felt there was a huge amount of tension throughout the whole film, and it was much darker/more grim than the previous ones. Bane was terrifying, and there was no let-up from that sense of terror. The ending was really satisfying. I also thought it would fade to black when Alfred nodded, but I kind of enjoyed seeing it wrapped up properly. The ambiguous ending would have seemed more of a cliche at this point.

Just a quick question - reading some of the official reviews it seems like some people really struggled hearing Bane's dialogue. Was that the case with screenings here? We had no problem with it, and I wonder if that's cos we went to the iSense screen in the Odeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Kooli wrote: »
    Just a quick question - reading some of the official reviews it seems like some people really struggled hearing Bane's dialogue. Was that the case with screenings here? We had no problem with it, and I wonder if that's cos we went to the iSense screen in the Odeon.

All perfectly audible for me. My gf struggled though, but she's not a native English speaker.

What difference does iSense (?) make? Smarting that we don't have an IMAX, sense Nolan has made so much of that technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Kinski wrote: »
    All perfectly audible for me. My gf struggled though, but she's not a native English speaker.

What difference does iSense (?) make? Smarting that we don't have an IMAX, sense Nolan has made so much of that technology.

Apparently the sound is much better quality, but not sure how much of that is marketing guff.

It did sound great, but I can't compare it to what it would have sounded like in another screen. Pretty loud - shook the seats at parts.

Also a pretty big screen so it felt very immersive. It's no IMAX though...

Advertisement