Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The film was rubbish, its not worth my time breaking it down especially cause I'm using my phone. I loved the last one, it was excellent. That does not give this the right to be good, i think some have bought into the hype.

The nemesis was good, really unsettling but all in all, it was terrible. Not enough of batman at all, especially the stealthy stuff., that's ok if the story was good but it was unintelligible, disjointed, unbelievable.

Cat woman delivers him into the hands of bane, then does a complete about turn. Then there was the whole bomb about to go off cliche cliche cliche. This film has very few redeeming features, the greatest being Anne Hathaway in leather.

I also wonder about yer man being called Fox, subliminal stuff maybe. Do they have any part of WB.

my retarded post meter needle just broke.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I don't see how TDKR is any more fantastical than the other two. Begins is easily the least realistic of the films. All the gliding around, the being pulled after trains, the diving off buildings, the microwave emitter, etc. In TDKR he smashes concrete and has a VTOL-type aircraft that he flies around in.

lol as opposed to all that VR nonsense at the end of TDK, which was super realistic :pac: BB is far more grounded and realistic than TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I remember reading a theory once that The Joker was working for someone in TDK.

Basically by the lines "Do i look like a guy with a plan" indicated that he is getting his orders elsewhere. And we also see in the boat scene when speaking from the intercom about the explosives he is reading from a white piece of paper. Plus the fact that his highly eloborate and complex bomb planting, kidnapping and murders were done so quickly and precisely in such a short space of time.

Is it possible to suggest that, like Crane, Joker was employed by the League of Shadows or Talia to let Gotham tear itself apart but failed (kinda).

My verdict: No! but still an interesting way of looking at things.:P

Andy!! wrote: »
    lol as opposed to all that VR nonsense at the end of TDK, which was super realistic :pac: BB is far more grounded and realistic than TDK.

Really? I think Begins is the best of them but its got ninjas in it, and weaponised hallucinogenic gas, and Batman being dragged along by a train, and a microwave weapon, and ninjas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So Levitt's character "Blake" or "Robin"...Who is he?

I know Dick Grayson as Robin, but I know there are others

Is he one of the Robin or Nightwing characters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

krudler wrote: »
    Really? I think Begins is the best of them but its got ninjas in it, and weaponised hallucinogenic gas, and Batman being dragged along by a train, and a microwave weapon, and ninjas.

and controllable bats that can smash through glass somehow

al28283 wrote: »
    and controllable bats that can smash through glass somehow

I forgot about that, oh and material than can change its molecules instantly.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Ninjas are not a fictitious creation y'know ;P weaponised hallucinogenic gases are entirely within the realms of possibility, and he was pulled by a train, not sure why people have latched on to that thought of it being too unrealistic? He was pulled along, then pulled the line in and swung into and through a window. Was pretty awesome as far as I recall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am amazed some people didn't think the final Bane-Batman confrontation wasn't handled well (Catwoman deus ex machina aside). Bane's frustration, confusion and worry was made abundantly clear by the filmmakers, and Wayne's sheer anger and determination made for one of the trilogy's most intense, exhilarating moments. The fight didn't last fifteen minutes because Batman sure as hell wasn't going to allow it to last fifteen minutes.

It's also worth re-emphasising that several months passed in the prison. It wasn't a few press-ups - it was several weeks of grueling physical training. Having Wayne attempt the climb three times further stressed how determined he was for self-improvement. The whole training business in Batman Begins suggests he was more than capable of such intense work - he just wasn't physically able in the back-breaking sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I forgot about that, oh and material than can change its molecules instantly.

And a tank/car that smashes through walls but doesn't fall through a single roof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I am amazed some people didn't think the final Bane-Batman confrontation wasn't handled well (Catwoman deus ex machina aside). Bane's frustration, confusion and worry was made abundantly clear by the filmmakers, and Wayne's sheer anger and determination made for one of the trilogy's most intense, exhilarating moments. The fight didn't last fifteen minutes because Batman sure as hell wasn't going to allow it to last fifteen minutes.

It's also worth re-emphasising that several months passed in the prison. It wasn't a few press-ups - it was several weeks of grueling physical training. Having Wayne attempt the climb three times further stressed how determined he was for self-improvement. The whole training business in Batman Begins suggests he was more than capable of such intense work - he just wasn't physically able in the back-breaking sequence.

Surely the 2 failed attempts of his climbing the wall would have hurt him?

Andy!! wrote: »
    Ninjas are not a fictitious creation y'know ;P weaponised hallucinogenic gases are entirely within the realms of possibility, and he was pulled by a train, not sure why people have latched on to that thought of it being too unrealistic? He was pulled along, then pulled the line in and swung into and through a window. Was pretty awesome as far as I recall.

its not that, he as dangling off the back of the train as it was whipping through the city, he would have been twatted off one of the support beams as soon as it went around a curve, he was being smashed into signs as well from what I remember. Begins is my favourite of the three but realistic? nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The bat thing is annoying me. I need to see it again, but it's not a plot hole. I believe that the bat is an active project at Wayne Enterprises and not a mothballed prototype like the tumbler, nomex survival suit, etc.

The mechanics or techs, whatever they are, seem to be sitting in another prototype when Lucius walks in and asks have they fixed the autopilot. They say it was fixed a few months ago by Bruce Wayne. In a software patch.

The original Bat was destroyed, sure, but the software would not have been, it would have been stored at Wayne Enterprises.

Yeah I thought it was pretty clear that The Bat seen at the end had similar camo-colouring to the one Fox first shows Bruce.

Samich wrote: »
    Surely the 2 failed attempts of his climbing the wall would have hurt him?

yeah falling from that height and being suddenly jerked to a stop would have knackered his insides, meh all the movies are full of stuff that isnt possible in real life, buts its a comic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So Levitt's character "Blake" or "Robin"...Who is he?

I know Dick Grayson as Robin, but I know there are others

Is he one of the Robin or Nightwing characters?

I don't think he's Nightwing or Robin. I think he just "takes up the mantle" as Batman. If they were (hopefully not) to give him his own movie it would be fleshed out in that, but if that is the ending of Nolan's depiction of Batman and Gotham, then there's no need (or evidence) to assume he's Nightwing or Robin. Why would he need to create a new persona, when a clear symbol already exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Let me preface my nitpicking by saying I enjoyed the film quite alot , but did anyone else not wonder why Bruce didn't just climb the safety rope which seemed to be anchored higher then the ledge or am I just imagining that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Let me preface my nitpicking by saying I enjoyed the film quite alot , but did anyone else not wonder why Bruce didn't just climb the safety rope which seemed to be anchored higher then the ledge or am I just imagining that ?

The guy holding the other end of the rope would have just let him drop. He appeared to be a guard of some sort, not a prisoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Was it not lower that the ledge he had to jump to though? I'm pretty sure it was. I'd need to see where the rope started relative to the lower ledge.

I don't think he's Nightwing or Robin. I think he just "takes up the mantle" as Batman. If they were (hopefully not) to give him his own movie it would be fleshed out in that, but if that is the ending of Nolan's depiction of Batman and Gotham, then there's no need (or evidence) to assume he's Nightwing or Robin. Why would he need to create a new persona, when a clear symbol already exists?

yeah who Batman is doesnt matter, its why Bruce took on the persona to begin with, to be a symbol instead of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, did he just throw the rope back into the prison so that everyone could escape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

my retarded post meter needle just broke.

The film was rubbish, get over it, bunch of fan boys, good luck

Samich wrote: »
    Can someone explain how Batman goes from getting hammered by Bane, then doing some press ups and sit ups and then can beat Bane easily enough then?

for the first fight he was over confident and soft, he'd had handpicked opponents for years to stop him getting hurt and he'd lost his edge, once he got battered he regained the eye of the tiger and came back to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

hathaway impressed as catwoman in parts she reminded me of pfeffier's catwoman

i found blake the best character in it, expected it to be bane but found blake far more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, did he just throw the rope back into the prison so that everyone could escape?

There was a rope up the top, he didn't use the rope the time he got out. But yeah, he threw a rope down.

the_syco wrote: »

That was a different rope that was anchored over the ledge.

for the first fight he was over confident and soft, he'd had handpicked opponents for years to stop him getting hurt and he'd lost his edge, once he got battered he regained the eye of the tiger and came back to win.

As someone said before, there are definite shades of Rocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just back from seeing it. Thought it was excellent. Whilst it does not have a performance like Ledgers, I thought it was a better film than The Dark Knight. I might even rank it ahead of Batman Begins but probably need to see it again to decide.

Hathaway was excellent as Selina Kyle. Not going to say that it was surprising, as I've always rated her as an actress, but so much can go wrong with Catwoman. Love JGL in pretty much everything, and thought he was great as Blake, although didn't like the Robin throw-in at the end. Hardy, as Bane, whilst he's not as good as Ledger's Joker, he's an excellent villain and imposes a sense of dread, both physically and intellectually. The Talia reveal was well handled too, and allowed a different side of Bane to be shown.

It's an excellent way to end the trilogy, and whilst I dont really want it to happen without Nolan at the helm, with the possibility of a JLA film, I'd love to see a follow up to this with Blake as Batman/Robin/Nightwing etc. Wouldn't be against a Catwoman spinoff with Hathaway again either

Only thing it missed was an Eye of the Tiger montage with Wayne training in the pits :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just wondering, did all the people who dislike the film watch many trailers and read all the speculation around the film?

I knew that this would be massively over hyped and could be potentially ruined by trailers and speculation so I avoided everything until after I watched the film. I quite enjoyed the film but looking back now, I could see how all the trailers, speculation, sneak previews could have destroyed the movie for me.

In fairness, the trailers for this don't seem that bad, but in general, whoever is marketing movies these days, really doesn't know what a trailer should / shouldn't show and they usually give away half the film, the twists and all the critical information in the trailer. A trailer is supposed to pique your interest, to entice you to come watch the film, not give you a 2 minute synopsis of film before it's even released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

But wasn't the Bat parked on a rooftop in the city ?? I'm sure that would have been easy find even though he did have a cover over it,

Also when Bane was making his speech why not reveal Batmans identity while he was shouting out secrets about Dent

• Advertisement

I kinda liked the lack of Batman in it, seems to be a big complaint from people, but I liked it, its Bruce's story come full circle, think of it as the third act of a near 9 hour movie

Advertisement