Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I thought the first fight was superior in every aspect to the second one. I also think the final battle was no where near as good as the critics stated. Shooting the scene without a score was inspired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Dempsey wrote: »
    The scene where he finally disabled Bane and starts demanding to know where the bomb is was a parody of himself!

No it wasn't, it was just batman being batman as usual, that's how he speaks when angry and interrogating, if you find it comical it's because of all the parodies on YouTube have made it comical in your head. It hasn't changed and why should it, he's supposed to be angry and menacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I loved that, complete domination in his voice and a complete turnaround to the cocky fcuk that Bane was in the sewer fight!
    No it wasn't, it was just batman being batman as usual, that's how he speaks when angry and interrogating, if you find it comical it's because of all the parodies on YouTube have made it comical in your head. It hasn't changed and why should it, he's supposed to be angry and menacing.

I was in tears laughing, it wasnt menacing at all! It was like he drank a 6 pack of red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was in tears laughing, it wasnt menacing at all! It was like he drank a 6 pack of red bull

Unless youre on the other end. Then theres some mad lad dressed like a bat after kicking the sh!t out of you and is now screaming at you about a bomb.
    Even if I didnt know where the thing was Id tell him! O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's taken me three days to read this entire thread after seeing the movie on Friday night!

It wasn't perfect, I'd agree with some of the criticisms of it in this thread but I walked out of the cinema with a stupid grin on my face. And that's the point of a comic book movie.

Loved Bane as a villain, utterly dominant. The "you think you're in charge?" bit was particularly good.

The one criticism I had was the cops walking into a fist fight when every man of them was carrying some sort of fire arm.

• Advertisement

Unless youre on the other end. Then theres some mad lad dressed like a bat after kicking the sh!t out of you and is now screaming at you about a bomb.
    Even if I didnt know where the thing was Id tell him! O_o

Considering that Bane knew his identity, knew how he actually spoke, I dunno how he wasnt laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It was pretty much the same voice he used when beating the **** out of the Joker once he realises Rachel is in trouble.

Considering that Bane knew his identity, knew how he actually spoke, I dunno how he wasnt laughing

Too busy being punched in the face

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I loved that, complete domination in his voice and a complete turnaround to the cocky fcuk that Bane was in the sewer fight!

How should he have spoken to have been menacing?

It was pretty much the same voice he used when beating the **** out of the Joker once he realises Rachel is in trouble.

It was OTT and parody like if you ask me. Thats why I was laughing my ass off in the cinema

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The scene where he finally disabled Bane and starts demanding to know where the bomb is was a parody of himself!

I was thinking this as well the first time I saw it, I let out a short snigger, but the second time 'round I could really feel the full force of the intimidation

"TELL ME WHERE THE DETONATOR IS, THEN YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DIE" - Bad-ass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Great film and a great end to brilliant trilogy which will soon sit proudly beside LOTR on my PC (if MKV files can sit beside each other). Take that Spiderman!

I couldn't help but think what the film would have looked like if Heath Ledger had lived. It's clear from the way it was written that he would have made an appearance (every other character did). I liked Bane but I felt he just wasn't as compelling a villain as the Joker. That said I enjoyed his supposedly traveller inspired accent and his line: "When Gotham is Ashes...you have my permission to die". His speech on the courthouse was great and I liked his voiceover as they showed the sacking of Gotham. I was less impressed with Marion Cotillard/Miranda Tate but I will admit I didn't see the twist coming.

I also thought Gotham looked very different to city of the previous too films. It looked more like NYC whereas in the last film it looked like Chicago.

The score for me was a real highlight but unfortunately I saw this in Vue in Liffey Valley and the speakers were configured wrong. The surrounds were up too high and I couldn't hear the dialogue properly. Another poster here experience the same problem.

The posts here from people complaining about it not being realistic made me laugh. As gritty as the Dark Knight trilogy is, it's about a guy running around dressed up as a giant bat. That makes it okay for them to take liberties such as Bruce not hurting his ankles when he falls while attempting the climb. The beards or lack thereof are less forgivable....

I've read through the last few pages (and apparently not enough comics). I'm confused. Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character's 1) Nightwing 2) Robin 3) Batman or 4) open to interpretation?

What was the point of the plane jacking at the start of the film?

And finally, is Aflred awake or trapped inside the dream?

silvine wrote: »
    I've read through the last few pages and I'm still confused. Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character's 1) Nightwing 2) Robin 3) Batman or 4) open to interpretation?

Also, what was the point of the plane jacking at the start of the film?
    Open to interpretation. Named Robin but could be anyone. Just Gothams new protector.

Plane jacking was really just an introduction to Bane with loose plot ties (the doctor who configures the reactor). Same as the Joker robbing the mob bank

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what WAS the point of the planejacking anyway? as fantastic a stunt as it was it just seemed to be in there to be a cool opening, least the bank heist served a point.

krudler wrote: »
    what WAS the point of the planejacking anyway? as fantastic a stunt as it was it just seemed to be in there to be a cool opening, least the bank heist served a point.

Find out how much the CIA have been told in an over elaborate plot. Not much else really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Why did Bane transfer blood from one prisoner to a guard?

Why did Bane transfer blood from one prisoner to a guard?

He transferred from the doctor so the CIA will think he died in the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Overheal wrote: »
    To hell with all you all:

[Lights go out in the tunnel]

[Bikes power off]

[Cop car powers off]

[Lights flicker back on]

"What the hell was that?"

"...Heh, you're in for a show tonight, kid."

My favourite scene in the film. Had been waiting 4 years for it and I wasn't disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Few people criticizing the dialougue but there was a few great bits in there. Loved the following from Bane down in the sewers to Batman:

"Ah,you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it...The shadows betray you because they belong to me."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The score for me was a real highlight but unfortunately I saw this in Vue in Liffey Valley and the speakers were configured wrong. The surrounds were up too high and I couldn't hear the dialogue properly. Another poster here experience the same problem.

I went to see this in iSense, supposedly top of the range audio, and Liffey Valley and didn't notice any difference between the two. In fact, if anything, I thought Liffey Valley was much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He transferred from the doctor so the CIA will think he died in the crash

that was ridiculous as well, it wouldnt affect his entire bloodwork to just put a small bags worth in surely, the other guys dna would still be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The editing was poor, some scenes went on too long , i felt if you got a better editor in , you would have a movie 20mins shorter , paced a lot better , and a tighter more enjoyable movie all round.

As i said i did enjoy it , but the weakest of the 3 imo.

I totally agree with this. IMO JGL's character should have got much less screen-time. He was a stand in while Gordon was in hospital but once Gordon got out all JGL did was worry about his boys home (the whole boys home in Wayne Manor felt too much like X-Men, plus it'd be hard to keep the batcave secret with 100s of lads exploring the house)

Talia should have been expanded as revealing her as the main villain 20 mins before the end felt a bit tacked on. There was too many filler scenes with people saying just a few lines explaining plot points to the audience. Also by taking stories from 3 separate batman novels the whole plot felt slightly disjointed. BW being dragged off to the pit prison in India was a bit weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

krudler wrote: »

Pavel was the scientist who devised a way for the clean energy reactor to be turned into a nuclear bomb. Bruce mothballed the programme when he learned of this. One of the ways Miranda convinced him to reactivate it was the fact that Pavel had seemingly died in a plane crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

What was the point of the Resistance movement? For 5 months they do SFA to dethrone Bane, then leave it to the last 12 hours to get off their asses.

Also the waves of unarmed guards charging at a crowd of mercs armed with grenades, machine guns and tanks with only about 5 falling was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

As I've stated before I largely enjoyed this film and rate about on a par with Begins but if I have an issue its with Bane his confusing origins with Talia Al Ghul and that bloody voice . I never saw the prologue when it was released last year but was well aware of the issues many had with it ie. the inaudible muffled dialogue, they attempted to remedy this of course by getting Hardy into the studio for some ADR but having heard the results I can't help but wonder was the cure worse then the disease, every time Bane spoke there was a disconnect for me between Hardy's Bane and his voice that no amount of rationalization over his mask could bridge. The joke is even with the Enter the dragon like dubbing some people still complain that they can't understand what he is saying half the time lol.

The next issue for me is his origins or as they are revealed to be Talia's this revelation completely undercuts Bane as a character especially with a view to his smack talk with Bruce in that first fight where he tells Bruce that he merely uses the dark where as he Bane was born to it . Whether or not he was born to it he certainly didn't Rise from it without help from Talia thus making him a weaker character for it. Up until Talia's reveal we see Bane as this brilliant and primal force who has brought both gotham and its protector to their knees , after it, one is left to wonder if he planned any of it at all or was he always just Talia's muscley love sick stoolie following a plan of her design.

My third issue is that I felt we never got the feeling that ,threat of Nuclear annihilation aside, average Gothamites were suffering under Banes Yolk from anything other then the biting cold . The only people we see persecuted are the gotham Elite who we see dragged out of their pentouses/townhouses and their belongings confiscated in a manner that (intentionally or not) brought Schindlers list to mind. The impression I got was if you weren't a cop, rich or out after curfew on the whole you were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Find out how much the CIA have been told in an over elaborate plot. Not much else really :pac:

It was more than that, he needed Dr Pavel back to set up the reactor, and he needed the CIA to believe Pavel was dead. Hence the blood transfusion just before he jettisons the plane's hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's another question. Alfred gets up at the end after raising his glass to Bruce and Selina. Do you think they ever reconcile, or does it play out as in Alfred's earlier fantasy, "I wouldn't say anything to you, or you to me, but we'd both know you'd made it"?

I like to think they actually talk at some point, but on the other hand Alfred's revelations devastated Bruce...

I reckon an Inception-esque ending would have been a bit more fun, Alfred smiling and raising his glass, then cutting to credits before we get to see who he'd spotted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

they attempted to remedy this of course by getting Hardy into the studio for some ADR but having heard the results I can't help but wonder was the cure worse then the disease, every time Bane spoke there was a disconnect for me between Hardy's Bane and his voice that no amount of rationalization over his mask could bridge. The joke is even with the Enter the dragon like dubbing some people still complain that they can't understand what he is saying half the time lol.

Most dialogue in most Hollywood movies is ADR at this stage. Perhaps the problem with Bane is that viewers can't see his lips move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The next issue for me is his origins or as they are revealed to be Talia's this revelation completely undercuts Bane as a character especially with a view to his smack talk with Bruce in that first fight where he tells Bruce that he merely uses the dark where as he Bane was born to it . Whether or not he was born to it he certainly didn't Rise from it without help from Talia thus making him a weaker character for it. Up until Talia's reveal we see Bane as this brilliant and primal force who has brought both gotham and its protector to their knees , after it, one is left to wonder if he planned any of it at all or was he always just Talia's muscley love sick stoolie following a plan of her design.

THe voice over states that he clearly wanted to protect the innocence in the kid that he never got to have. He immediatly got persecuted by letting the kid escape he got set on by every single person in the jail, I would imagine he got beatings everyday for weeks. Plus by the looks of it he was the only one to survive the plague when the LoS found him. Plus he lived in contsant pain only relieve by his mask. Taking all that punishment and pain for protecting Talia. I think he had some significant rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just out of tonghts showing in the iSense in the point village - what a great film, and more impressively... That's three top quality films one after another...possibly the best trilogy ever? I think so

This was epic - from the prologue scenes (which i wasn't expecting), the stadium blow out, the batman/bane fights...all really well done.

I was a little surprised with how suddenly Band came to an end...just out of no where. Hardy looked particularly big, like massive! Could have been enlarged in any way digitally? When Gordon is in the sewer, and Bane turns around - holy ****, that is one big man.

I loved the ending....perfect, tied everything up very nicely.

Its a pity to see Nolan, bale & co move away from Batman now but they have left us with three excellent films...

Roll on the blu-ray with 1080p of goodness and extras extras extrasm

Advertisement