Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And the nitpicking begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Also.. liked the little nod to Killer Croc when Gordon was talking about the sewers after they first followed Bane's people down there

Jeez the more I think about this the more I love it. Zero work is going to be done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Jesus that last 30-45 mins is the most thrilling, emotional, nerve wracking pieces of film you're likely to see. Superb end to the trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oh man, so much to say, don't know where to begin. Long story short, I loved it, albeit having to take in a highly controversial ending.

Re: the ending,
    it really was typical Nolan and I'm not quite sure whether what Alfred saw was real or not. It was just too perfect given the fantasy that Alfred had described to Bruce earlier

My mind is racing so I'll just go through my favourite moments
    Blake and Bruce's first reaction, yeah Blake made a bit of a jump in his deducement but the ending actually puts it into context a bit better.
    First fight between Bane and Batman was absolutely mindblowing, surprisingly emotional and absolutely vicious. And the classic lift and knee smash, oh man, jaw dropped and took awhile to register with me what I just saw.
    Dance between Bruce and Selina, great chemistry between Hathaway and Bale.
    Bane's passionate rant outside Blackgate. It was a moment that summed up how manipulative and evil Bane was, that he could put such conviction behind words that you know he didn't mean one word of.
    The moment from when the doc tells Bruce to lose the rope, I was on the edge of my seat. Fantastic.
    Batman handing Bane's his ass and then the Talia reveal. Hardy made the scene.
    Final interaction between Bruce and Gordon.
    Alfred breaking down.
    Blake telling Gordon that he can't stand watching the injustice from within the structure of the law.

Just loved it, perfect end to one of the best trilogies ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was pleasantly surprised by Anne Hathaway- liked her performance as Catwoman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Presentation in Vue was a bit ropey at the 6am screening, but I was extremely satisfied with the film itself.

Bane is not as good a villain as the Joker, not even close. But the Joker is Batman's greatest foe. The only way Bane could have been better was if they had screwed up the Joker in TDK, which they obviously didn't. I thought Hardy was excellent, but it's fair to say this film is not really about Bane. Given that many people complained about TDK focusing too much on the Joker and Two Face at the expense of Batman that seems like a good thing.

I didn't think there was anything overly ambiguous about it. I suppose Nolan could have made it crystal clear had he wanted to. There is indeed something slightly unreal about Alfred seeing Bruce as he once fantasised about seeing him, but that's the right note to end it on IMO.

Bane is not as good a villain as the Joker, not even close. But the Joker is Batman's greatest foe. The only way Bane could have been better was if they had screwed up the Joker in TDK, which they obviously didn't. I thought Hardy was excellent, but it's fair to say this film is not really about Bane. Given that many people complained about TDK focusing too much on the Joker and Two Face at the expense of Batman that seems like a good thing.
    His death was a bit sudden, I was hoping for one last rant from him. But as you said, Hardy's performance was excellent. No anti-hero BS, just one classicly evil mother****er. I really wish people could separate the two performances because as you said, this film was about Bruce, whereas with TDK, you can't separate The Joker from the plot. He IS the plot, chaos and escalation personified.
    I didn't think there was anything overly ambiguous about it. I suppose Nolan could have made it crystal clear had he wanted to. There is indeed something slightly unreal about Alfred seeing Bruce as he once fantasised about seeing him, but that's the right note to end it on IMO.
    The film ended on a really tragic note for Alfred, where the grief of the Waynes' fate got all too much for him, and there's the whole thought of his last discussion with Bruce, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tricks himself into seeing what he did.

I don't know, I want to believe what he saw was real because it was the right ending for Bruce, for him to finally rid himself of what has been a crutch for his grief and his pain for almost his entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just back.....Wow.....my rambling all over the place thoughts.
    Was actually choking up when I realised that Batman was going to 'sacrifice' himself in order to save Gotham, and was fighting back tears when Alfred was at the grave side....first time a movie has done that since ET.

Well played Mister's Nolan, Bale, and Caine.

It isn't a perfect film, but it is damn good and this could well be the best trilogy ever made.

Bane's voice takes a bit of time to get used to and can take you out of the scene because it is so obviously dubbed over.

I expected Blake's real name to be Tim Drake....or something along those lines.

Batman should have beat the sh*t out of Catwoman when he got back to Gotham. (Then the film would have been perfect):D

The Talia/Bane relationship twist was well done....I was convinced it was Rhas who was protecting Bane while he was in prison.

RIP this incarnation of Batman....I for one will miss your gravely voice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, keyboards, how would we ever type at length without you?

Anyway, elaboration! Apologies if this is a little hazy, I haven't slept in a while :/

Let me start with the negatives, because there's a few. Yes, the opening hour is slightly on the lengthy side, with some sluggish exposition and character introductions necessary. Perhaps there was a more elegant way of doing it. I wasn't wholly convinced by
    'The Bat'
    , even though I liked how it factored into the story on one or two occasions (
    especially Alfred's amusing line about how Bruce relied on gadgets to win
    ). Also, frantically placed though it was, having the finale of the film play out
    under the threat of a literal ticking A-Bomb felt a bit cheap
    . Surely Chris Nolan is able to conjure a slightly more imaginative McGuffin?

Yet otherwise I was hooked by it. Once I finally figured out where the characters and subplots were going, all the puzzle pieces clicked together beautifully in an elaborate, intriguing plot of double and triple crosses, smart twists and carefully considered pacing. After
    Batman's glorious initial appearance on his Batpod (with the Zimmer score gleefully kicking in with the familiar theme)
    the film rarely lets up with the forward momentum. Punctuated by plenty of engaging setpieces, it stands out due to the amount of effort put into it. Barely a character is wasted - off the top of my head, only Juno Temple's very minor character serves no particular function. Everyone else has a vital part to play in the schemes that unfold over two frantic hours. Then there's the thematic maturity - everything from American intervention to recession and class divisions convincingly explored by the brothers Nolan. A few fun prods at both liberal and conservative viewers. Like Prometheus, this is a clear attempt to be more than dumb fun. But unlike Prometheus, TDKR almost constantly delivers the goods.

Kudos to the cast. The returning faces are all as good as ever (love that Bale in his final showdown with Bane gets to repeat his gruff interrogation techniques ;) Anne Hathaway is surprisingly excellent, a convincing Selina Kyle. Gordon Levitt gives the film an emotional core. Marion Coutillard is as radiant as ever. Hardy? Well, being perfectly honest it took me a scene or two to adjust to that voice - felt removed from the images almost. But I kinda warmed to it (although it's no Darth Vader voice), and I think he overall made for an unusual, charismatic villain with some fascinating motivations. Hardly as iconic as Ledger (who could be?), but a proud second, and an enemy that poses a genuine threat to the hero in a variety of ways. Also impressed at the cameo roles -
    oh hai, Aiden Gillen and Cillian Murphy!

Mostly I just loved the core Batman story. I copped on relatively early (not being entirely immune to Batman lore and Internet speculation) to the general
    'its the icon, not the person that matters' stuff
    , and it was actually quite a joy witnessing how Nolan and co. worked through it throughout. Levitt's character was a vital addition, and ultimately his character's arc proved intelligent commentary on the nature of heroes and traditions.
    The film ends with this new hero literally rising, the narrative of this Bruce Wayne complete, but the Batman legend destined to continue
    . The accidental trilogy comes full circle, with a film that draws and elaborates upon the themes and characters of its predecessors. It's clear that Chris Nolan hadn't necessarily intended to make this film, but he has thrown everything at it, and the result is a film that rounds up what is destined to remain the definitive cinematic portrayal of an iconic superhero.

A spectacle with brains, brawn, character and ambition. It's imperfect, and perhaps not as sharp as its immediate predecessor in a few aspects while improving on others (although Nolan retains his unfortunate preference for weird cutaways to random cops in the middle of chase sequences). But this is the blockbuster of the last few years by an absolute country mile, and leaves the competitors reeling in its wake.

Holy ****, just read about the murders in the US, crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just back from the triple play in the Vue and the memory or Pearson I will take away from this was not to eat ice cream at 2.00 am.

Also on the nit-picking side of things.
    Anyone else find the scene with Batman, Catwoman, and Gordon peering through the truck door waiting for Talia to die while the bomb counts down in the back of the truck a bit surreal?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A meh from me, was ok but not even close to the other two. Way to slow and irrelevent for much of the start, opening scene with the plane was plain stupid, bane was not understandable a lot with his mumbling but that seemed to clear up for the latter scenes, all to predictable with cat woman, robin , whats her name being evil and the end scenes too

Promised so much, actually delivered so little, a terribly cliche way to end the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,851 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

His death was a bit sudden, I was hoping for one last rant from him. But as you said, Hardy's performance was excellent. No anti-hero BS, just one classicly evil mother****er. I really wish people could separate the two performances because as you said, this film was about Bruce, whereas with TDK, you can't separate The Joker from the plot. He IS the plot, chaos and escalation personified.

The film ended on a really tragic note for Alfred, where the grief of the Waynes' fate got all too much for him, and there's the whole thought of his last discussion with Bruce, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tricks himself into seeing what he did.

I don't know, I want to believe what he saw was real because it was the right ending for Bruce, for him to finally rid himself of what has been a crutch for his grief and his pain for almost his entire life.
    I reckon it was real - Alfred told Bruce where he went on holiday, the restaurant/cafe he went to. Bruce, imo, would have wanted Alfred to know he was safe rather than Alfred living with the guilt of failing Bruce's parents. It isn't like Bruce just happened to be there at some random cafe somewhere in the world; he knew where to go so that Alfred would know he had got out and was happy/safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I reckon it was real - Alfred told Bruce where he went on holiday, the restaurant/cafe he went to. Bruce, imo, would have wanted Alfred to know he was safe rather than Alfred living with the guilt of failing Bruce's parents. It isn't like Bruce just happened to be there at some random cafe somewhere in the world; he knew where to go so that Alfred would know he had got out and was happy/safe.

Also on this, how would alfred have know who Catwoman was? and he saw her with Wayne at the end.

I know he met her at the start of the film, but other than that, nothing.

I'm certain it was real.

Aye, someone pointed that out to me, the autopilot reveal with Fox at the end also went over my head too.

I think it was the 'right' way for Bruce to go out anyway, as I said in the pre-release thread, Bruce needed to survive and let go of the crutch (i.e. Batman) that he has been using for most of his life. He got over his pain and learnt to live, which I believe carries an important lesson about life in general.

Re: Blake,
    what did everyone think of the reveal at the end? Egg on my face anyway.
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Saw the trilogy in a row tonight, including the premiere at midnight. It was so great to see them all in a row, and I'm really glad I watched it that way; it enhanced the experience, especially since I was surrounded by Batman geeks who were 'oohing' and aahing' and cheering a lot!

I thought the new movie was great. I actually found myself feeling okay when
    it seemed as though Batman might be dead
    . Although technically,
    he is dead, but Bruce is alive
    . Anne Hathaway did way better than I expected. However, I did miss The Joker quite a bit. Seeing the new one straight after The Dark Knight just really highlighted how great Heath Ledger's interpretation was and just how charismatic a villain he was. But, obviously it can't be helped. I would have liked at least some reference to him though, even though he obviously couldn't appear on screen.

I liked the scene with Miranda and Bane when
    she reveals that he was actually her protector and not the 'child prodigy' (so to speak) and you can see him tearing up
    . It really showed a bit more depth of emotion, made the character seem more human.

Overall, I thought it was a good ending. Wrapped things up nicely and I loved
    the cop becoming the Robin character
    . The whole theater cheered when that was revealed! Great moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Re: Blake,
    what did everyone think of the reveal at the end? Egg on my face anyway.
    :o

I liked and disliked it :pac:

I thought she was gonna say Dick or Jean-Paul. I did like his character a lot.

maximoose wrote: »

Likewise....I think for fans who know the comics it would have been better, and more in tone with Nolan's films to have him be the Dick Grayson/Nightwing character. That scene was just pandering to the general audience.

maximoose wrote: »

Was sure it was going to be Dick. Fcuking Nolan and Bale, can't trust a word those chaps say. :pac:

Was just thinking there, I think Bruce had beaten Bane the moment Bane realised Bruce had returned. Bruce escaped the pit, something Bane couldn't. I'd say that ate Bane up inside.

Also, how great a moment was it when Bruce put Bane through the glass and started to completely whale on him. Complete domination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Staff Screening at work this morning... Absolutely Epic...

Bane was badass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

I saw it with the wife @ 9am in Vue this morning and absolutely loved every single second of it, right now it's the best of the three for me although I'll need to see it as many times as the other too before that's confirmed. Bane was terrifying and I, as others, really enjoyed Hathaway's perfomance. One small thing that's bugging the living crap outta me is the cop towards the end who
    blows the bridge
    - I can't place who he is, what the hell is he out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Not using spoiler tags so beware!!

Loved it, but Banes voice was shocking, my one fault with the film.
    I also feel the joker would have made a way better judge that the scarecrow, what might have been....

Finally, of course the end was real, Bruce knew of the cafe, Alfred hadn't met Selina at any significant level before and without it being real it becomes a cop out Inception ending.

Overall, amazing, seeig it again this evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Someone above mentioned
    that bane was killed a bit too sudden. I don't think Bane was killed at all.

Also, would have preferred it if the movie ended on
    Alfred's nod
    . However, I say studio execs had their way and it was s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Shred wrote: »
    I can't place who he is, what the hell is he out of?
    He was/is in dexter.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

coolisin wrote: »
    He was/is in dexter.

Cheers, that was driving me bananas too.

Regarding the film I left feeling a little underwhelmed. I'll wait until IMAX next week before formulating a complete opinion but for now it's sufficed to say that I'd have preferred a different end to the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

coolisin wrote: »
    He was/is in dexter.

That's it, sweet jesus that was really bugging me, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I thought it was the best of the trilogy tbh. I wasn't overly effusive in my praise for TDK and thought it was a bit drawn out and too many cooks style with the villains once Two Face came into it. I really liked TDK but never rated it as the great movie everyone made it out to be. I liked the slower paced Begins over it actually which may be why I liked this so much.

The movie is like a mix of the previous 2 and culminates in a perfect blend of characterisation and action along with sly lines which got me laughing a fair few times which is something that I don't normally do when I go to the cinema on my own. Ironically the part that I felt was strongest in TDK is what I think is the weakest in TDKR and that is the ending. There was no need to go past Alfred's nod imo and to see Selina Kyle living it up in Florence goes completely against character imo. I was thinking for a moment he may actually be dead but once you see Alfred in the café you know Bruce is there, absolutely no need to spell it out. Anyway 5/5 and a fantastic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If anyone is looking for a laugh, head over to the IMDB boards, great comedy reading about the film.

• Advertisement

Spoilers allowed without tags from here on in folks.

Advertisement