Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Because its still full of scum to them. All powerful CEOs and politicians controlling so much while people more just live poor.
    It was always going to have Occupy Wall Street echos and its why the rich were put on trial when they took control

Good point,that was something that they could have gone into more, what was happening the regular citizens of Gotham, we see the rich being put on trial, the prisoners let out, but everyone else seems left to their own devices, long as you weren't a cop or rich you were ok to Bane's army?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

krudler wrote: »
    and especially since the whole reason for Ra's wanting to take down Gotham is that its corrupt and full of scum, now its no longer that thanks to Batman sooo, why the hating on Gotham? Talia wanting to kill Batman to avenger her dad, fine with that, but why take down a city for no reason? if its just to annoy Batman then that's pretty fcuking elaborate. thats why the Talia reveal is a contradiction of sorts, if Bane wanted to destroy Batman by ruining Gotham then thats one thing, but she's fulfilling her fathers plan which is now rendered pointless because Gotham is safe and no longer run by organised crime.

Could be that she just wants to see Gotham destroyed because her father wanted to see it destroyed, without caring about why. He wanted it done, she will do it to fulfill his wishes, and destroying batman is just icing on the cake.

I quite enjoyed Bane's initial demeanor, particularly right after the Stadium scene. He tried to sound like such a friendly fella, "And do you ACCEPT this man's resignation?!" "The city is yours! Do as you please!" It sort of reminded me of Voldemort in the Deathly Hallows, when
    Neville stands up to him and he's all sweet, like "Sure why don't you just join me, we could use lads like you?"

Found that fairly amusing, also how slick he was at the beginning, "Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man... BEFORE throwing him out of a plane?" It's like "You guys are fools, I've got this under control"

One thing I was slightly disappointed by was Harvey Dent's legacy. I thought more of the movie would be given over to Batman being viewed as a criminal and having to fight evil while being hated by pretty much everyone in the city.
    It was always going to be revealed that Dent's death was a lie, but I was hoping Batman would have to deal with that for a bit longer before the truth came out. That scene where he's chasing the Stock Market invaders while the cops are more interested in taking him down is what I'm talking about, but I was expecting more of that.

Bane's line about the young boy having a "lovely lovely voice" cracked me up. He does have a few funny lines but he's not a comedic character.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Good point,that was something that they could have gone into more, what was happening the regular citizens of Gotham, we see the rich being put on trial, the prisoners let out, but everyone else seems left to their own devices, long as you weren't a cop or rich you were ok to Bane's army?
    Apparently. It was like let the people rise up against their oppressors but then level gotham so to show the rest of the world what happens. It was a bit off :/
    One thing I was slightly disappointed by was Harvey Dent's legacy. I thought more of the movie would be given over to Batman being viewed as a criminal and having to fight evil while being hated by pretty much everyone in the city.
    It was always going to be revealed that Dent's death was a lie, but I was hoping Batman would have to deal with that for a bit longer before the truth came out. That scene where he's chasing the Stock Market invaders while the cops are more interested in taking him down is what I'm talking about, but I was expecting more of that.
    It had been 8 years. He probably would have been near myth at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I loved the bit in the stock exchange when bane beats the **** out of security when he's asked to take his helmet off. The speed and accuracey of his strikes were great to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Anyone know when this film will be released on Dvd and bluray?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MJ23 wrote: »
    Anyone know when this film will be released on Dvd and bluray?

About Christmas id guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

ricero wrote: »
    I loved the bit in the stock exchange when bane beats the **** out of security when he's asked to take his helmet off. The speed and accuracey of his strikes were great to see

I just liked how he thanked the guy who handed back his helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I don't know why "Bruce Wayne" had to die.

Maybe I'm paraphrasing here, but at one stage Alfred said "Bruce Wayne can do more for this city than Batman ever could".

Wayne losing his money would be proved as fraud, as Fox conveniently pointed out to him, so Bruce still had millions to pump into charities, helping people, such as allowing those orphaned kids to grow up comfortably, go to college, etc.

Instead he went on holidays.

I would have even been happy with the ending in Florence between Bruce / Selina / Alfred, but instead with Bruce just being a "happy" Bruce. (No need for the faked death part; what did that add to the story / character?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Kinski wrote: »
    I just liked how he thanked the guy who handed back his helmet.

I like that it was a red helmet (Jason Todd).

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Finally got to see the film last night and have to say I thought overall is was excellent. As pointed out here it is by no means flawless but if a fitting end to Nolan's trilogy. Excellent performances throughout especially Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I am going to say I thought the ending was great and I have not seen anyone else make the point even though the city thinks Batman is dead - I take it they do considering they had a statue of him- obviously they hold out some hope he is not gone forever as we seen Gordon polishing a new Bat symbol. So he muts know that there will be someone to take over the role. Given Blake's convseration with him that he cannot work within the structure maybe he has ain indication Blake will rise to be the new Batman.

Loved the soundtrack too. I had no problem understanding Bane and the sound quality was excellent in the Odeon cinema I say it in. From other viewers comments what I can gather it seems to be a cinema problem more than film itself.

So I will def be going back for a 2 and 3rd viweing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

themed leathers from UD Replicas: Dark Knight style jacket, pants, gloves, boots and utility belt (the batcycle and helmet you’ll have to supply yourself).

Available separately. $1,564 for the full set

batsuit2.jpg

batsuit1.jpg

batsuit3.jpg

tumblr_m7hk8tQg4m1r4l78jo2_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The hype over the last 3 years was immense,no film could deliver on such expectations.
    The trailer for the film gave away almost the whole plot ,it had far too many spoilers for my liking.
    The pictures leaked about a year ago of Marion Cotillard in Talia Al Ghuls outfit werent helpful either .

Commissioner Gordon was almost a caricature of himself in the film ,he hadnt enough screen time and I didnt particularly like John Blake's inclusion ,it could easily have been left out but I'm sure Warner Bros insisted on it.

Overall the the dialogue was poor and Batman seemed too headstrong and impulsive especially after 8 years in the wilderness.
    He seemed to get back in gear almost overnight ,a bit far fetched to be honest but not as far fetched as a city being held ransom for 4 months.
    In TDK ,it was 2 boats,for a few hours in this its a whole city for 4 months.
    Ridiculous ,absolutely ridiculous.

I dont know how people had a problem hearing Banes voice,it was crystal clear to me ,in fact it was almost comical it was so high pitched and unnatural.
    The studio obviously edited it after the complaints from the 6 minute prologue but unfortunately they went from one extreme to the other.

Overall though ,I enjoyed the film and the 2 and a half hours flew by (I would have enjoyed it more but for the massive spoilers in the trailers) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And 1 great movie?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Skerries wrote: »
    themed leathers from UD Replicas: Dark Knight style jacket, pants, gloves, boots and utility belt (the batcycle and helmet you’ll have to supply yourself).

I'm going to build a 3D printer and make that costume for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Read over the past few pages of this and I'm jumping between complete shock and embarrassment for some of the posts.

As has been said already, people calling it a 3/10 film are just fools. Even if you didn't like it, there is no way it is a 3/10.

Also there is a clear lack of people actually paying attention to the movie.

"Why did he not blow up the city straight away?"
    - Were you in the toilet for Bane's monologue about hope and true despair?

I personally loved it and if you didn't then that is fine. But please don't dilute it to the likes of --

"I was there for three hours and he got beat by Bane and thrown into a cave and then he got out and beat him again and the cops had no stubble and stuff." (Paraphrased)

I can understand certain complaints, such as occasional clunkiness and the likes of Miranda not being as fully fleshed as she might have otherwise been. (I may disagree but I can understand them)

The comparisons to the likes of Crystal Skull and the completely absurd levels of nitpicking would drive a person insane.

For my own sanity, I must get out of this thread forever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The hype over the last 3 years was immense,no film could deliver on such expectations.
    The trailer for the film gave away almost the whole plot ,it had far too many spoilers for my liking.
    The pictures leaked about a year ago of Marion Cotillard in Talia Al Ghuls outfit werent helpful either .

Commissioner Gordon was almost a caricature of himself in the film ,he hadnt enough screen time and I didnt particularly like John Blake's inclusion ,it could easily have been left out but I'm sure Warner Bros insisted on it.

Overall the the dialogue was poor and Batman seemed too headstrong and impulsive especially after 8 years in the wilderness.
    He seemed to get back in gear almost overnight ,a bit far fetched to be honest but not as far fetched as a city being held ransom for 4 months.
    In TDK ,it was 2 boats,for a few hours in this its a whole city for 4 months.
    Ridiculous ,absolutely ridiculous.

I dont know how people had a problem hearing Banes voice,it was crystal clear to me ,in fact it was almost comical it was so high pitched and unnatural.
    The studio obviously edited it after the complaints from the 6 minute prologue but unfortunately they went from one extreme to the other.

Overall though ,I enjoyed the film and the 2 and a half hours flew by (I would have enjoyed it more but for the massive spoilers in the trailers) .

I think the problem is that ADR much like theatre requires the actor to use his imagination more so then if he was on set of a multi million dollar film and thus there is a tendency to go over the top. I'd love to have heard Hardy's original line delivery sans mask , I doubt if would have been half as fruity and theatrical as his studio redub . As I said before I can't help but feel the cure was worse then the disease in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

On that, he's meant to be dead, yet he's sitting in public view, one of the most richest most famous men in the world sitting there not long after his supposed death which would have been worldwide news
    I wouldn't say he's one of the world's most famous men at all. If some American billionaire sat down beside you in a pub you wouldn't have a clue who they were...other than Gates or Zuckerberg. He's a socialite but by no means world famous.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's one of the world's most famous men at all. If some American billionaire sat down beside you in a pub you wouldn't have a clue who they were...other than Gates or Zuckerberg. He's a socialite but by no means world famous.

yeah but someone would know him. That's why he goes so far afield in Begins is so people don't recognise him, he is the "crown prince of Gotham" after all. People would notice him sitting in plain sight in a European city. Especially after his supposed death which would have made the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've read a lot of posts assuming that Talia was in charge, complaining that Bane is reduced as a character as a result. I don't see any evidence in the film that the planning was not Bane's, or that he took orders from her. If he was subservient to her, he at least seems to have been totally trusted to independently run operations of enormous complexity. Anyone want to argue the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

yeah but someone would know him. That's why he goes so far afield in Begins is so people don't recognise him, he is the "crown prince of Gotham" after all. People would notice him sitting in plain sight in a European city. Especially after his supposed death which would have made the news.

I'm not sure, in Begins the only person that found him was Ra's al Ghul. Prior to that he was away from Gotham for 7 years and everyone thought he was dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mikhail wrote: »
    I've read a lot of posts assuming that Talia was in charge, complaining that Bane is reduced as a character as a result. I don't see any evidence in the film that the planning was not Bane's, or that he took orders from her. If he was subservient to her, he at least seems to have been totally trusted to independently run operations of enormous complexity. Anyone want to argue the point?

He flouted her order to keep Bruce alive too. I think the chap is way too psychotic to be a simple lackey to Talia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

mikhail wrote: »

Talia's plan was to carry her father Ras Al Ghul's plan through to conclusion everything Bane did in TDKR was in the furtherment of that goal, did he carry it out competently ? yes did he perhaps embelish it? perhaps, but it was still her plan. Whether he is subservient to her, loves her her like brother father or lover it doesn't matter his standing as this unbreakable idealogical primal force is undercut by her revelation .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Skerries wrote: »

Available separately. $1,564 for the full set

batsuit2.jpg

batsuit1.jpg

batsuit3.jpg

tumblr_m7hk8tQg4m1r4l78jo2_500.jpg

B..Bu...But where's the mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Is that Uncle Jesse from 'Full House'?!

uncle-jesse.jpg

WHOOA!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saw it for the 2nd time this morning (son hadnt seen it) . First time was in an IMAX at the weekend and this morning in Dundrum. Definately not the same. Maybe I'd have been blown away in Dundrum if I hadnt seen it in the IMAX first, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The next issue for me is his origins or as they are revealed to be Talia's this revelation completely undercuts Bane as a character especially with a view to his smack talk with Bruce in that first fight where he tells Bruce that he merely uses the dark where as he Bane was born to it . Whether or not he was born to it he certainly didn't Rise from it without help from Talia thus making him a weaker character for it. Up until Talia's reveal we see Bane as this brilliant and primal force who has brought both gotham and its protector to their knees , after it, one is left to wonder if he planned any of it at all or was he always just Talia's muscley love sick stoolie following a plan of her design.
    There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Bane has any romantic feelings for Talia. What I interpreted from it was that Bane became the protector of Talia in the pit because to him, she represented innocence. The one person in the pit who truly hadn't done anything to warrant being in it and perhaps reminded him of his own circumstances (if we are to assume that Bane was also born in the pit).

It's more a sibling/father figure relationship.

I thought it was pretty obvious that he wasn't born in the pit?

He says he was born in darkness and later says that the horrible thing about the pit is the light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I saw it a second time today and thought it was even better, comfortably ahead of TDK imo. Also, this will be controversial here, but I prefer Bane to the joker. I thought the way he spoke was really menacing and loved bit if Bond villain sound in his voice, thought he was great apart from his anticlimactic death. Still not as good as BB though.

I reckon if the joker was in this one people would quickly get bored of him and would begin complaining.

• Advertisement

Random question:
    What was up with the prison? Who was running it, who were the other prisoners? If they were being employed by Bane, why were they so happy to see Batman escape? They called it "Bane's prison" so I assume the people down there were Bane's prisoners, or Bane's men...?

Also... You'd think Bruce would have thrown them down a rope or something after climbing out, the bastard :D

Advertisement