Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Also... You'd think Bruce would have thrown them down a rope or something after climbing out, the bastard

He did?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Random question:
    What was up with the prison? Who was running it, who were the other prisoners? If they were being employed by Bane, why were they so happy to see Batman escape? They called it "Bane's prison" so I assume the people down there were Bane's prisoners, or Bane's men...?

It looked like it was in some Arab like country.
    It appeared to be a self running prison as the only way out was to take the climb which meant almost certain death

Also... You'd think Bruce would have thrown them down a rope or something after climbing out, the bastard :D

he did.
    He threw the rope down after he got out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Random question:
    What was up with the prison? Who was running it, who were the other prisoners? If they were being employed by Bane, why were they so happy to see Batman escape? They called it "Bane's prison" so I assume the people down there were Bane's prisoners, or Bane's men...?

Also... You'd think Bruce would have thrown them down a rope or something after climbing out, the bastard :D

Ehhhh he did !?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It looked like it was in some Arab like country.
    It appeared to be a self running prison as the only way out was to take the climb which meant almost certain death

Yeah I assumed it'd be in Mexico, I like that Bane took time out of his busy blowing sh1t up schedule to personally ferry Batman to the prison on the other side of the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

The prison was set in a fictional country called Santa Prisca located in the Carribean in the comics. Safe to assume that Nolan intended the prison to be in Mexico in the film.

• Advertisement

Oscorp wrote: »
    The prison was set in a fictionl country called Santa Prisca located in the Carribean in the comics. Safe to assume that Nolan intended the prison to be in Mexico in the film.

it looks Moroccan or middle eastern, and isnt the rise chant Moroccan?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,911 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

krudler wrote: »
    this is the worst scene for it by far imo

"YHU'LLBEINAPADDEDCELLFOREVURRRR!"
    That youtube Play button makes him look like he's wearing an eyepatch :pac:

Never would've thought Mexico for the prison. The prison where Bane was born is set in the Carribean but again Bane was not born in the pit.

Also when somebody says less civilized part of the world Mexico is not the first country I think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was really impressed with the Batwing in the film,it was unbelievably cool .
    It actually looked real as did most of the special effects/stunts in the film unlike the garbage cgi so prevalent in most films nowadays.
    I can never understand how studios can spend so much money on films and they look crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i seem to remember there being subtitles on the tv which looked something like arabic to me

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    Never would've thought Mexico for the prison. The prison where Bane was born is set in the Carribean but again Bane was not born in the pit.

Also when somebody says less civilized part of the world Mexico is not the first country I think of.

eh really? Mexico is a friggin warzone at the moment, nearly 50,000 people killed in the last 6 years. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/mexicos-drug-war-death-toll-nears-50000/

eh really? Mexico is a friggin warzone at the moment, nearly 50,000 people killed in the last 6 years. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/mexicos-drug-war-death-toll-nears-50000/

Yeah I know.

But less civilized in terms of having a prison like the pit, which is/was controlled by a local warlord. Nah, doesn't sound like Mexico to me.

it looks Moroccan or middle eastern, and isnt the rise chant Moroccan?

Just googled it, apparently the chant is in Moroccan.

The name al Ghul is also Arabic, (Ra's al Ghul means The Demon's Head) so many.

Maybe it is in Morocco then!

The prison scenes were shot at a fort in India

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

MOVIE WAS TOO GOOD!!!!!!

Nolan why oh why you so good??? <3 love it. Nothing much to say. Screw minor plotholes, this is batman, a film loosely based on comic (and indeed i enjoyed alot of comic relief in it!). Nolan has showed his (and his brother) and proven his amazing scripting in inception so really i just want a GOOD batman movie and he indeed delivered a GOOD one, plus a very happy ending for this trilogy.

What more can i ask for??? I am now officially a die hard Nolan fan. <3 You earn it Nolan!!!!!!!!

MOVIE WAS TOO GOOD!!!!!!

and gosh, the composer+director duo is working too well. And nolan managed to train Anne to act well rofl.

Nolan, you are too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Off to see this at 8pm this evening. Can't wait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

LOVED IT. love love loved Bane's character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Random question:

And how did he get him there and then get back to Gotham so quickly? And for a very shabby looking prison they still had a flat screen tv.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    And how did he get him there and then get back to Gotham so quickly? And for a very shabby looking prison they still had a flat screen tv.

The film did have a time-span of five months from beginning to end, so there's no indication it was all that quick. I think the pacing just left people thinking/feeling things had progressed over a shorter amount of time than they were supposed too.

Oscorp wrote: »
    The film did have a time-span of five months from beginning to end, so there's no indication it was all that quick. I think the pacing just left people thinking/feeling things had progressed over a shorter amount of time than they were supposed too.

the timeline of the movie is all over the place though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,911 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I found it easy enough to follow. The whole 5 months deadline thing was a bit contrived, but hey comic plot. They were pretty clear with it on the fake television broadcasts how much time was elapsing and they let you know how much time has passed since TDK so it wasn't too bad.

My biggest question still remains to be how did Batman find the time to make a bat symbol out of gasoline and leave a flare on the ice to light it?

/loved the movie 10/10 but I think we all know at this point it's great sport to ask these things :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I thought it was very average which of course is good by modern summer blockbuster standards but poor by nolan/batman standards if you get my meaning

maybe i went in with high expectations (not because of the hype so much as how much I loved tdk) but the movie disappointed me

i am going to give it 3/10 mainly because someone said on a previous page that the people who give it 3/10 are fools to multiple thanks

i think it speaks volumes that many of the fanboys think it is valid to criticise and individual's subjective opinion of an artform as moronic if it doesn't sync with theirs

you love it, i (and others) don't, c'est la vie - you can't cajole or bully people into liking something i'm afraid nor are people fools for offering their honest opinion that this final part in the franchise was a let-down

variety is the spice of life and all that, it's ok to admit to not loving the movies guys, you will not be banned from cinemas for life or be extradited to north korea or something as much as some of the fanboys would like that to be the case

these differing opinions are what art is all about, let's not demonise each other for holding contrasting views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

donfers wrote: »
    I thought it was very average which of course is good by modern summer blockbuster standards but poor by nolan/batman standards if you get my meaning

maybe i went in with high expectations (not because of the hype so much as how much I loved tdk) but the movie disappointed me

i am going to give it 3/10 mainly because someone said on a previous page that the people who give it 3/10 are fools to multiple thanks

i think it speaks volumes that many of the fanboys think it is valid to criticise and individual's subjective opinion of an artform as moronic if it doesn't sync with theirs

you love it, i (and others) don't, c'est la vie - you can't cajole or bully people into liking something i'm afraid nor are people fools for offering their honest opinion that this final part in the franchise was a let-down

variety is the spice of life and all that, it's ok to admit to not loving the movies guys, you will not be banned from cinemas for life or be extradited to north korea or something as much as some of the fanboys would like that to be the case

these differing opinions are what art is all about, let's not demonise each other for holding contrasting views

That is being as petulant as the "fanboys" as you described them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

donfers wrote: »

Ok you gave it 3/10, but what's your real rating when not influenced by other people's opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

By no means a terrible movie but compared to the first two, for me it fell short sad to say.

It just didnt entertain me as much as the others. I felt the whole thing was a little flat and the majority of the action wasnt up to much. An average 6 out of 10 :(

Unfortunately the two movies I was looking forward to most fell short, this and Prometheus. (esp Prometheus)

Ah well. Roll on Judge Dredd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this today.

i thought it was very good.

not great , i cant see myself going to see it again, but it was a very good film and a fitting end to the trilogy.

ok some of the stuff you could spot a mile off. as soon as a certain character was introduced i knew where it was going but there were enough twists along the way for it still to be fun.

hathaway was fun as catwoman without decending into camp and bane was alot more enjoyable than i thought he'd be. the voice was great, like a mix of patrick stewart - ian mckellan and liam neeson.

TBH though im left wondering if kids will like this as much as adults. at three hours long its a bum number and while as an adult i had a hoot i cant help thinking a 12yre old may start getting shifty and nod off as its not exactly action central.

but still it had me held and it was fun to see how it all panned out.

7/10 from me.

i'd happily advice anyone to go see it but would advice em to plan the long run time in. go to see this at 9pm and you aint getting out till midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Saw it a second time today and I think I actually enjoyed it more! Despite the flaws (and yes, I acknowledge there were several) I still believe this to be the best of the trilogy, which is no mean feat. In fact, I'm struggling to think of another big budget blockbuster type movie which I enjoyed more (except for Star Wars as a kidlet).

I can understand other people's complaints by the way. For me though, the rest of the film is so bombastically good, I'm willing to explain away the plot holes, contrivances and forgive the continuity error. I'm actually sad the trilogy is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

I thought it was a great great action film with a lot to love but with undoubted flaws too.

I thought the dark knight was the stand out of the trilogy......a perfect action film for me with an incredible performance by ledger as the joker.....for me the dark knight was as close to perfection as far as a blockbuster action/crime film goes.....it will stand the test of time best imo

I would even go so far as to put batman begins ahead of DKR

but...that still means it was an excellent film....just not even close to making me feel as awestruck as the dark knight did when I first saw it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

amacca wrote: »
    I thought it was a great great action film with a lot to love but with undoubted flaws too.

I thought the dark knight rises was the stand out of the trilogy......a perfect action film for me with an incredible performance by ledger as the joker.....for me the dark knight was as close to perfection as far as a blockbuster action/crime film goes.....it will stand the test of time best imo

I would even go so far as to put batman begins ahead of DKR

but...that still means it was an excellent film....just not even close to making me feel as awestruck as the dark knight did when I first saw it

Que?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Ape X wrote: »
    Saw it a second time today and I think I actually enjoyed it more! Despite the flaws (and yes, I acknowledge there were several) I still believe this to be the best of the trilogy, which is no mean feat. In fact, I'm struggling to think of another big budget blockbuster type movie which I enjoyed more (except for Star Wars as a kidlet).

I can understand other people's complaints by the way. For me though, the rest of the film is so bombastically good, I'm willing to explain away the plot holes, contrivances and forgive the continuity error. I'm actually sad the trilogy is over.
    ah dude comon now you went to watch it the second time, surely the movie is good enough to hold you off for a total of 6hours :pac:

There are some minor plotholes in the movie aka flaws but i really couldn't care less. Fanboy or not, there are very very very limited amount of movies made me think like that. Inception was very strict to every single details so I decided to cut the brothers some slack this time - TDKR is a comic movie after all.

Awww...i wanna watch it again....

Advertisement