Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Ellian wrote: »
    I loved the film but one thing that disappointed me - especially given the title was that I never got a moment in it, the hero moment that makes my heart leapt like salmon. Best example I can give is in Batman Begins where the bridges have been lifted, Gordon is on the radio and person on the other end says something like "no-one is coming" and then the Tumbler comes roaring up, and leaps the chasm leaving everyone standing around in awe. The closest the film came to was Batman's reappearance, but overall I thought that was an opportunity wasted.

"You're in for a treat tonight, kid!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just saw this.
    It was alright. Kinda feel it could of been better (is hyped up to be the end after all) But of course that doesnt mean its a bad movie. Will watch it a second time when it comes out on dvd. Then decide.

But those premier seats in odeon are terrible. My ass was killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ape X wrote: »
    Saw it a second time today and I think I actually enjoyed it more! Despite the flaws (and yes, I acknowledge there were several) I still believe this to be the best of the trilogy, which is no mean feat. In fact, I'm struggling to think of another big budget blockbuster type movie which I enjoyed more (except for Star Wars as a kidlet).

I can understand other people's complaints by the way. For me though, the rest of the film is so bombastically good, I'm willing to explain away the plot holes, contrivances and forgive the continuity error. I'm actually sad the trilogy is over.

As a youngling surely?:D

Dunno if it is the best of the trilogy but it definitely had an impact on me, and nearly a week later I am still thinking about it, and am affected by it. Not something that occurs from watching your average summer blockbuster.

As you said some of the grievances are understandable but they are not major enough to detract from the film as a whole, reading back through this thread a lot (not all) of the criticisms seem to come from people who are unhappy they didn't get a repeat of TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Que?

sorry, typing slip and not of the Freudian variety either......just to be clear, imo in order of total awesomeness (I would very rarely use such a phrase and certainly not lightly)

1) The dark knight (magnificent blockbuster action crime thriller stormer of a film) - just epic wonderful with a truly great villain.

2) Batman Begins (just shades it into 2nd place)

3) The Dark Knight Rises - still great but wont stand the test of time like the dark knight imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

at three hours long its a bum number and while as an adult i had a hoot i cant help thinking a 12yre old may start getting shifty and nod off as its not exactly action central.

Its just over 2 and a half hours to the credits so its not that long really.
    The film flew by for me ,I would gladly have stayed another hour .

• Advertisement

All I know is Anne Hathway is gorgeous.

Shots of her riding the batpod was the stunt double. But that one shot right before she blows up that tunnel ... at the risk of sounding like a pervert.... the f**king ass on her! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More of a Marion Coutillard fan myself. That woman is old school gorgeous. An elegance you don't see as much these days.

(with no offense to the still extremely attractive Anne Hathaway)

More of a Marion Coutillard fan myself. That woman is old school gorgeous.

Another fine woman indeed.
    *fap fap fap* :pac:

Turtyturd wrote: »
    reading back through this thread a lot (not all) of the criticisms seem to come from people who are unhappy they didn't get a repeat of TDK.

that's understandable though isn't it...............when I think of trilogies there aren't many I can say that each subsequent film was on a par or better than what preceded it

Maybe the LOTR trilogy?....................to me, each of those was excellent culminating with the final film being the best of the bunch

contrast that with something like the matrix films .... (loved the first one but felt very deflated by the time number three came along) - the reason I didn't really like either of the sequels is because they just never matched the sheer enjoyment level I got out of the first one - they didn't repeat that element because they were by far imo inferior films to the first

I think that while I enjoyed TDKR, the reason I did not enjoy it as much as TDK is while it is undoubtedly a great film it did not repeat the sheer brilliance that was TDK..................perhaps its just not possible to rise to a benchmark like that though.....maybe a film like that comes along only very infrequently.....maybe you just cant replicate all the elements that made it what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

All I know is Anne Hathway is gorgeous.

Shots of her riding the batpod was the stunt double. But that one shot right before she blows up that tunnel ... at the risk of sounding like a pervert.... the f**king ass on her! :pac:

This is who youre perving over
    012.jpg

• Advertisement

Think Id prefer her to Hathaway tbh....I'd say shed make mincemeat of me in a good way :pac:

amacca wrote: »
    Think Id prefer her to Hathaway tbh....I'd say shed make mincemeat of me in a good way :pac:

You can see more of her in the Nitro Circus movie :pac: (Joelene Van Vugt)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

so thats all you took from 2 hrs 45 minutes of the film?

if you wanted something realistic, i recommend you stay at home and watch national geographic. its a film about a man in a cape, protecting a fictional city and you find the 5 month recovery hard to believe.

its a damn good film, personally my favorite of the trilogy. im doubting you even saw it or are delibertly trying to be petty and controversial

I can't believe how much reaction my 3/10 got. The film was long and boring, i don't know what i expected. Maybe more like the joker interrogation scene in TDK. There is no scene that comes close to that.

There was so much wrong with it, i read people reasoning out why Batman beat Bane the second time, but for me the ease in which he did it was completely disproportionate to the hammering he got first time around.

As soon as i saw the hole in the prison i imagined exactly how that whole thing was going to play out over a half hour of cinema or so, there were no surprises, it was cliched as anything.

Maybe some of you guys have seen enough superhero movies from the eighties our whatever to realise just how cliched the film was. Anyway, i expressed an opinion, i dint deserve to be called a fool or anything else. I'm glad you, for the most part enjoyed it, it was a major letdown for me

Ill try to be less curt in my analysis. And maybe i do prefer non fiction. I just finished NASAs greatest missions. Now theres some superheroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BEP!

I have a few problems with this movie to be honest. Miranda Tate and Bruce Wayne having sex was kind of out of the blue and not really built upon. I don't think she was developed as a character very well (And the acting for her death was atrocious). Still not sure what Daggett was all about and I didn't even realize he was on the board of Wayne Enterprises until someone told me afterwards and I'm still not sure who the guy with Daggett was who had his neck snapped by Bane after they ruined Bruce. I just think they kinda rushed through the plot for all that bit and didn't explain it too well.

Loads of other complaints with the prisoners they released and armed and the location of the prison where they sent Bruce to name a few a few but I'm just going to assume that the plot was very long and they can't go into too much detail.

I'm sure I missed loads as it was pretty fast-paced so I'll look out for these things next time but does anyone wanna answer a few things

For all the people saying Bruce survived, how did he get 6 miles away in 5 seconds? All I can think of is Superman.. which could be cool with the superman movie and the justice league movie coming out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Artistic license and scene timing. Hardly the first movie where that elusive "60 seconds to detonation!" lasts for about 3 minutes of screen time.

Anyway, to the question of why wait 5 months or why destroy Gotham? This quote from the first movie I was trying to dig up:
    Wayne: But really, you are going to release Crane's poison on the entire city.
    Ducard: Then watch Gotham tear itself apart through fear.
    Wayne: You're going to destroy millions of lives.
    Ducard: Only a cynical man would call what these people have "lives," Wayne. Crime. Despair. This was not how man was supposed to live. The League of Shadows has been a check against human corruption for thousands of years. We sacked Rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats. Burned London to the ground. Every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.
    Wayne: Gotham isn't beyond saving. Give me more time. There are good people here.
    Ducard: You are defending a city so corrupt, we have infiltrated every level of its infrastructure. When I found you in that jail, you were lost. But I believed in you. I took away your fear, and showed you a path. You were my greatest student It should be you standing by my side, saving the world.
    Wayne: I'll be standing where I belong: between you, and the people of Gotham.
    Ducard: No one can save Gotham. [nods to henchmen, who begin vandalizing the house and set it on fire] When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural. Tomorrow, the world will watch in horror as its greatest city destroys itself. The movement back to harmony will be unstoppable this time.
    Wayne: You've attacked Gotham before?
    Ducard: Of course. Over time, our weapons have grown more sophisticated. With Gotham, we tried a new one - economics. But, we underestimated certain of Gotham's citizens. Such as your parents. Gunned down by one of the very people they were trying to help. Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal. Their deaths galvanized the city unto saving itself and Gotham has limped on ever since. We are back to finish the job. And this time, no misguided idealists will stand in the way. Like your father, you lack the courage to do all that is necessary. If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them, and stab them in the heart.
    Make sense? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

that's understandable though isn't it...............when I think of trilogies there aren't many I can say that each subsequent film was on a par or better than what preceded it

Maybe the LOTR trilogy?....................to me, each of those was excellent culminating with the final film being the best of the bunch

contrast that with something like the matrix films .... (loved the first one but felt very deflated by the time number three came along) - the reason I didn't really like either of the sequels is because they just never matched the sheer enjoyment level I got out of the first one - they didn't repeat that element because they were by far imo inferior films to the first

I think that while I enjoyed TDKR, the reason I did not enjoy it as much as TDK is while it is undoubtedly a great film it did not repeat the sheer brilliance that was TDK..................perhaps its just not possible to rise to a benchmark like that though.....maybe a film like that comes along only very infrequently.....maybe you just cant replicate all the elements that made it what it was

The Dark Knight is just as flawed if you pick it apart to the degree this one has been, watch the chase sequence through the tunnel to see numerous examples of editing and inconsistencies which are let slide by fans of that movie. And I meant, I think some people wanted an exact repeat of The Dark Knight, same characters, same story, same dialogue they could rattle off to friends, and the same stupidly popular halloween costume. Some of the criticisms seem to be because this didn't happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BEP! wrote: »
    For all the people saying Bruce survived

Well, he did survive, that much is made explicitly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

For all the people saying Bruce survived, how did he get 6 miles away in 5 seconds? All I can think of is Superman.. which could be cool with the superman movie and the justice league movie coming out soon

You mean you didn't stay for the post credits scene??? :eek:

I have a few problems with this movie to be honest. Miranda Tate and Bruce Wayne having sex was kind of out of the blue and not really built upon. I don't think she was developed as a character very well (And the acting for her death was atrocious). Still not sure what Daggett was all about and I didn't even realize he was on the board of Wayne Enterprises until someone told me afterwards and I'm still not sure who the guy with Daggett was who had his neck snapped by Bane after they ruined Bruce. I just think they kinda rushed through the plot for all that bit and didn't explain it too well.
    It was Daggett who had his neck snapped. Youre thinking of his assistant who was sentenced to exile by the scarecrow

The autopilot was fixed. He would have ejected almost instantly when he had a clear run (it was just edited for dramatic effect)

012.jpg

*fap* *fap* fap* :pac:

Shes got quite the ass. But the actual Anne hathaway shot ... *drools* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

al28283 wrote: »
    For those who are left the movie before the end of the credits here's cliffs:

-Bruce and Selina lying in hotel or villa
    -Door bursts open
    -League of shadows come running in
    -Grabbing Selina and pinning Bruce to the bed
    -League of shadows take her off while Bruce squirms and shouts on
    -Ras Al Gul walks in "Hello Bruce"
    -le fin]
    I kid :pac:

you serious? :eek:
    Whats in the scene?

*edit*
    Just read there is not. You got my hopes up. Boo. Boo you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BEP!

You would have had me believing this but I have a comic book guy friend who would have told me to stay until after
    It was Daggett who had his neck snapped. Youre thinking of his assistant who was sentenced to exile by the scarecrow

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I knew I was missing something.

[QUOTE=The autopilot was fixed. He would have ejected almost instantly when he had a clear run (it was just edited for dramatic effect) [/QUOTE]
    Well I suppose whether he died or not comes down to whether or not you believe it was dramatic effect or Alfred getting dementia or being drunk or heartbroken or something. Neither outcome makes complete sense. I think I'll just go on believing he's dead. I don't see how he could have gotten away five seconds and then survived drowning in his armor a twisted knife sized hole in him.

The Dark Knight is just as flawed if you pick it apart to the degree this one has been, watch the chase sequence through the tunnel to see numerous examples of editing and inconsistencies which are let slide by fans of that movie.

perhaps...but they are let slide because imo overall TDK delivers a more entertaining and enjoyable experience.............minor inconsistencies in TDKR would be brushed aside if it was as good as TDK
    And I meant, I think some people wanted an exact repeat of The Dark Knight, same characters, same story, same dialogue they could rattle off to friends,

point taken.......but we both know and so do they (deep down) that was never going to happen.................I had hoped TDKR would be as entertaining as TDK though, I had hoped for a repeat of that and unfortunately although a great action film it didn't quite live up to its predecessor imo

I suppose you are sort of correct though...I was hoping for the same film as TDK and when measured against it, its my opinion that

1) the villain wasnt as good.....although bane was much much better than I was expecting...especially his body language, way of walking and stance + the voice although hard to understand during brief instances was incongruously (compared to his physique) good ....strangely though..bale as batman was better in the suit in this film imo

2) The story wasn't as good, TDK had a much neater more enjoyable storyline imo

3) The dialogue wasn't as good...almost entirely due to the absence of a character like the joker (obviously he couldn't be in this one) but you have to admit classic dialogue one would rattle off to friends must be better than dialogue you wouldn't make the effort to remember as it just didn't make that much of an impact on you

and if those elements (which are all part of a great film) dont quite measure up then maybe the film isnt quite as good

and the same stupidly popular halloween costume. Some of the criticisms seem to be because this didn't happen.

"clothing is custom, no labels" :pac:

loved that bit....................., presumably you are talking about jokers wardrobe....just out of curiosity why is it "stupidly" popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

you serious? :eek:
    Whats in the scene?

*edit*
    Just read there is not. You got my hopes up. Boo. Boo you.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You say TDK had a neater plot than this? Really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

donfers wrote: »
    I thought it was very average which of course is good by modern summer blockbuster standards but poor by nolan/batman standards if you get my meaning

maybe i went in with high expectations (not because of the hype so much as how much I loved tdk) but the movie disappointed me

i am going to give it 3/10 mainly because someone said on a previous page that the people who give it 3/10 are fools to multiple thanks

i think it speaks volumes that many of the fanboys think it is valid to criticise and individual's subjective opinion of an artform as moronic if it doesn't sync with theirs

you love it, i (and others) don't, c'est la vie - you can't cajole or bully people into liking something i'm afraid nor are people fools for offering their honest opinion that this final part in the franchise was a let-down

variety is the spice of life and all that, it's ok to admit to not loving the movies guys, you will not be banned from cinemas for life or be extradited to north korea or something as much as some of the fanboys would like that to be the case

these differing opinions are what art is all about, let's not demonise each other for holding contrasting views

+1

Liam O wrote: »
    You say TDK had a neater plot than this? Really?

I thought so..............the storyline certainly felt neater or more self consistent to my mind at any rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Read over the past few pages of this and I'm jumping between complete shock and embarrassment for some of the posts.

As has been said already, people calling it a 3/10 film are just fools. Even if you didn't like it, there is no way it is a 3/10.

Also there is a clear lack of people actually paying attention to the movie

When boards and IMDB forums combine...

Advertisement