Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It was shot in Pittsburgh no?

Pittsburgh and New York, and some parts in LA, I think the chase with the cop cars was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As much as I like JGL......... he just doesn't have the imposing presence to be Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I was really disappointed, didn't think it was a patch on The Dark Knight. There wasn't a single 'wow' scene for me, whereas TDK has so many. Found myself a bit bored for some of it too :(

Batman getting his back broken didn't wow you? I was like :eek:

silvine wrote: »
    TDK is a good film but not as good as TDK.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

fruvai wrote: »
    Batman getting his back broken didn't wow you? I was like :eek:

On the subject of that.
    I knew going into the movie it was set 8 years after TDK and that bane was going to break batmans back (well known because of the comics) ...

But I thought the back breaking would explain the 8 year gap and limping we saw in the trailer. Was unusual to have an 8 year absence of Batman (and bruce wayne for that matter) and having him limp around. Then only for the 10 month of events in Rises to have him go back to being batman, having his back broke, healing, coming back stonger than ever and defeating bane :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

So what happens now.

Its well known there will be a Justice League movie. With Rises ending its obvious Blake will be Nightwing or even batman (as robin became batman in the comics) in future movies. Makes sense with the justice league movie around the corner. Knowing superman is being rebooted next year.

Question is tho will joseph gordon levitt get his own movie before the league movie?

Batman is being rebooted completely. The end of TDKR is the end of this franchise. The Nolanverse is over. What happens now? In relation to the "Dark Knight Trilogy", absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Batman is being rebooted completely. The end of TDKR is the end of this franchise. The Nolanverse is over. What happens now? In relation to the "Dark Knight Trilogy", absolutely nothing.

But as another user pointed out. Are Warner Brothers really going to go in a new direction? Knowing Nolan's "reality based" version has done so much money? ;) And that he had laid the groundwork?

But then again, if a justice league movie does happen. Superman will be in the same world. So ... guess that opens up every batman character in the universe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Grimebox wrote: »
    Why did Bane need to fake the Physicists death anyway?
    National Security would have gone to Defcon 4 if a nuclear physicist was believed to be in the hands of a terrorist like Bane.
    But as another user pointed out. Are Warner Brothers really going to go in a new direction? Knowing Nolan's "reality based" version has done so much money? And that he had laid the groundwork?
    I too would be more inclined to suspect Nolanverse is going to be the new foundation for DC. Hence you see yet another Superman reboot. And hopefully a Green Lantern one, too.
    don ramo wrote: »
    yeah it was just new york, its scenery that has been used far far to much in film, the last film i think was shot in chicago, so it looked kind of different, new york just always looks like new york, i think they switched to really convey that they were on an island, blowing the bridges and all that, some sweeping shots were to obvious,

from batman begins

rises

really a minor complaint,
    Yeah I watched BB again today: what happened to the Monorails in TDK and TDKR?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i've never gotten the revolving wheels on the batpod bike, you got a glimpse the 2nd film but lots of it in this one and still can't figure how the wheels revolve with the arms on one side and the guns and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mickeroo wrote: »
    At the start of The Dark Night Batman bends the barrel of a machine gun with one hand.

He doesn't though. This is machine assisted, almost like a pneumatic device in the suit similar to the jaws of life that people use to cut people out of cars. We know this by the distinctive machine like "whuurrr" sound as he bends it. You will notice 30 seconds later he also cuts open a van with his hand and you can hear the same "whuurrr". It's just gadgets.

I might seem to be geeking out over that but the whole "He bent a gun with his hand!1!" thing really annoys me because so many people say it and it's obvious it was just a machine.

He is just a man in a suit. The seemingly supernatural stuff he does is just the technology, like the brace on his leg in this movie.

Midway through the film both him and Rachel fall from the penthouse of a sky scraper and survive.

He has his cape to slow his descent. He does the same thing in this movie during the Bane fight where Bane throws him off the gangway and he slows himself with his cape. It's in the side of the shot as Bane jumps down but it's there and was a nice touch.

In BB we had the magic steam bomb.

It was a microwave emitter. They actually exist in real life. I have no idea if they can vapourize water but there is lot's of unpleasant stuff that can do.....like melt brains :p The american military has several.

Yes, it's over the top but all the stuff makes sense within the universe itself. Suspension of disbelief is easy when it makes sense within the movie. Nothing ever happens that can't be explained, even if it is implausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

But as another user pointed out. Are Warner Brothers really going to go in a new direction? Knowing Nolan's "reality based" version has done so much money? ;) And that he had laid the groundwork?

But then again, if a justice league movie does happen. Superman will be in the same world. So ... guess that opens up every batman character in the universe too.
    I think WB, while forever grateful to Nolan, can see big potential for a reboot. As long as they don't cause a disaster of B&R proportions, then they could have an even bigger cash cow on their hands. I'm expecting the reboot to be flashier and a little more fantastical, while not forgetting the basics that Nolan created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I watched BB again today: what happened to the Monorails in TDK and TDKR?

They're in it, they're just not really featured heavily.

See http://i45.tinypic.com/r74rhi.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The part at the board meeting where Bruce is told to leave, the bald fella with the glasses, who is sitting beside the fella who is in Begins, (in Wayne manor, where he says "the apple has fallen far from the tree"), the bald fella is the same fella at Harvey Dents party who Joker grabs and puts the knife to his mouth. "you remind me of my father" and bald fella says "we're not intimidated by thugs". Its the same fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

This movie just doesn't make any sense.I'm sorry to be so against it but the entire story is so dis-jointed.There a are many things i either didnt understand or i went to the bathroom and missed the explanation,would anyone here be kind enough to help me understand,i really want to love this movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This movie just doesn't make any sense.I'm sorry to be so against it but the entire story is so dis-jointed.There a are many things i either didnt understand or i went to the bathroom and missed the explanation,would anyone here be kind enough to help me understand,i really want to love this movie!

What is that you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Saw this tonight , I thought it was class . From reading this thread before the movie, I know silly me. I got the impression that people werent sure if Bruce Waynes lives or dies, there no doubt he lives in the end.

Also how could Blake ever take over from Bruce wayne , he doesnt have the training ncessary, hes only a cop

Can someone explain this to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Finally saw it last night;
    I liked it, but didn't love it.
    Is it just me or do some of Bain's lines sound like they're been read by Matt Berry? :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwu9JDsKjP48Q5ZNAMQONIhlT-T4nwXxqbGi__a1aOAxh3D8Ol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

It will all be explained in a future film. If theres no new films then use your imagination, Batman unbroke his back in a few weeks

This is the end of Nolan's Batman world so its really up to interpretation - however, he would hardly jump straight into it, I would assume he would go through a lot of training, much like Bruce did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think WB, while forever grateful to Nolan, can see big potential for a reboot. As long as they don't cause a disaster of B&R proportions, then they could have an even bigger cash cow on their hands. I'm expecting the reboot to be flashier and a little more fantastical, while not forgetting the basics that Nolan created.

Would it not make more sense to continue where he left off?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

My take on this was that Bruce wayne/Batman had left detailed instructions for John Blake on how to become "The Batman" or whatever including giving him GPS co-ords to the Batcave and all that lay within. I would expect John Blake to have to train for several years to be anywhere near ready to take on the thugs of Gotham but wasn't the Batman suppossed to be a symbol more than just a man? does it matter who is actually beneath the cowl? In TDK we see brief clips of Gotham criminals ruinning scared at the very sight of the Bat signal, the idea that a masked vigilante was out there after them scared most in to walking the straight and narrow.

One of the criticisms of TDKR is of the John Blake character, someone on here actually said that his first foray in to crime fighting would be akin to what happened to Kick-Ass despite that fact that he has a training manual from the original DK, has basic police officer combat skills and access to whatever Bruce Wayne left behind for him (suits/tech/weapons etc).

• Advertisement

What is that you want to know?

I was outside the screen 3 times so missed a couple minutes of the movie,my own fault.

How did the cop (Robin) know Bruce was Batman?

How does he get back and into Gotham after he escapes from the prison?

Why didnt Alfred just tell Bruce about the Letter Racheal wrote explaining she wanted Harvey over him,instead of leaving him become a forever alone for 8 years?

Where did bane and his minions get the motorcycles when they were in the stock exchange,i cant remember this part,did they ride in on bikes?

The scene where all the cops are marching up the street towards Banes army,they have weapons,bat cars with huge guns on them and the cops end up in fist fights with them,was there something wrong with their weapons,were they rigged or something?

One thing i just need clearing up,when hes fighting Bain for the first time,at the end of the fight he throws something that causes tiny explosions,what was that? Some sort of decoy magic or something?

Thanks,it will save me going back to see the bits i missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its hardly like hes going to walk in, throw on a mask and run straight out as batman.
    Bruce left him the resources & equipment because he trusted him to carry on in some form. He could train for a long time before deciding hes ready to actually go out on the streets. He already has the detective skills and is near enough to the age Bruce started his journey. its just the beginning for him.

did Gordon rebuild the batsymbol or did Bruce? from what I remember of the shot Gordon has his hand on it looking into the sky so I wasnt sure if he made it or he was just bemused as to how it was back.

krudler wrote: »
    did Gordon rebuild the batsymbol or did Bruce? from what I remember of the shot Gordon has his hand on it looking into the sky so I wasnt sure if he made it or he was just bemused as to how it was back.

Bruce did - batman will live on after he goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Blake lost his parents to crime, leaving him an orphan with a similar angry outlook on the world that Bruce had in Begins. Blake claims in a meeting with Bruce that he recognised that anger in Bruce's face when Bruce visited the orphanage Blake was in when he was younger. Blake claimed to put 2+2 together and assumed Bruce was Batman. So nothing definite but a good guess.

This isn't explained, however he is Batman and trained in the art of deception and illusions so it's safe to say he wouldn't have any issue sneaking into the city.

Why didnt Alfred just tell Bruce about the Letter Racheal wrote explaining she wanted Harvey over him,instead of leaving him become a forever alone for 8 years?

He does, in the film, but perhaps a little too late.
    Where did bane and his minions get the motorcycles when they were in the stock exchange,i cant remember this part,did they ride in on bikes?

They didn't ride in on bikes, but a number of the mercenaries are seen working in the facility before the attack so I assume they had the bikes in place before the attack. Also, Bane entered the building wearing a motorcycle helmet and used it for more than just head protection :D
    The scene where all the cops are marching up the street towards Banes army,they have weapons,bat cars with huge guns on them and the cops end up in fist fights with them,was there something wrong with their weapons,were they rigged or something?

The 'Bat' disarmed the Tumblers and a 'few' cops got gunned down when they tried to overrun the mercenary positions. There would've been more only for the necessity not to outrage audiences with hundreds of cops being gunned down I'd imagine.

I was outside the screen 3 times so missed a couple minutes of the movie,my own fault.

He saw it in his eyes ;)

He ran

He had Bruce all to himself

All stock exchanges have motorbikes in hold for these exact reasons

Most of them were using blanks (ala Die Hard 2)

One thing i just need clearing up,when hes fighting Bain for the first time,at the end of the fight he throws something that causes tiny explosions,what was that? Some sort of decoy magic or something?
    He had a handful of the poppers you throw on the ground that make little bangs

Thanks,it will save me going back to see the bits i missed!

:D

stakey wrote: »
    Blake lost his parents to crime, leaving him an orphan with a similar angry outlook on the world that Bruce had in Begins. Blake claims in a meeting with Bruce that he recognised that anger in Bruce's face when Bruce visited the orphanage Blake was in when he was younger. Blake claimed to put 2+2 together and assumed Bruce was Batman. So nothing definite but a good guess.

This isn't explained, however he is Batman and trained in the art of deception and illusions so it's safe to say he wouldn't have any issue sneaking into the city.

He does, in the film, but perhaps a little too late.

They didn't ride in on bikes, but a number of the mercenaries are seen working in the facility before the attack so I assume they had the bikes in place before the attack. Also, Bane entered the building wearing a motorcycle helmet and used it for more than just head protection :D

The 'Bat' disarmed the Tumblers and a 'few' cops got gunned down when they tried to overrun the mercenary positions. There would've been more only for the necessity not to outrage audiences with hundreds of cops being gunned down I'd imagine.

Ok thanks alot i appreciate it!

"how did Batman get back into Gotham?" - He's Batman.

"how did he make the fiery symbol"- He's Batman.

"how did he rebuild the batsymbol" - He's Batman.

apply to all supposed plot holes and contrivances :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What were you doing going out 3 times? Did you have the scutters or do you have to do an hourly check in with the moth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have no issue with so called 'plot holes', as mentioned above. I was just so very bored by the whole thing. When compared to TDK, the dialogue just seemed very dumbed down and uninteresting, nothing to make really you think. Nothing that would require a second viewing to fully appreciate. I mean, I watched the first two films this week in anticipation and I was still surprised by some elements of the dialogue that I missed the first time. That's a sign of quality writing. TDKR had nothing like that, just in your face, popcorn munching rubbish... maybe rubbish is harsh, but it was just such a big let down. I came to expect more from the Nolans, something with more layers. More class.

I suppose I could put it like this, if you sat me down with this movie, with no knowledge of who directed or wrote it, I never would have said the Nolans. I would have assumed that the franchise was passed on to one of these directors who handles these generic knock offs for the popcorn munching masses.

The whole thing just stinks of Avatar, to me. So overrhyped, that "it just gotta be the greatest film ever, it just gotta be!"

PS: I thought this was a good read:

The Dark Knight Rises: 10 Ways It Didn’t Live Up To The Hype

That sums up essentially the level of nit picking people are having with this.

I've had like a week to reflect and I think that TDKR nicely closed off the trilogy, and has probably created the Star Wars of our generation imo. A trilogy with no weakness, just really good.

Obviously everyone is going to have their opinions, and their interpretations, but that article bangs on for half a page about Batman loosing the first fight against Bane.

If I'm not mistaken, it was indictive of how Batman/ Bruce was feeling there was nothing to loose, asking for death, and in a sense of cocky ness( to which Alfred eluded) went in toe to toe and came of worse.

Alfred also eludes to how gadgets and tricks won't work with Bane, and he's too long out of the game to face him.

Thats what I took from the first encounter.

I'm getting some interesting reading from this thread and reviews in general but the nitpicking (and thats all there is) and outragous/moronic claims of interpretation are making it very awkward, cringy and annoying.

I'm not sure if it was here or another forum I read, but there was a couple of pages banging on about an "Inception" style ending and how it was this that and the other. Probably the biggest bollox I've read in regards to a film and its "themes" that I've ever read

Advertisement