Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You mean Damien Wayne?

I prefer Tim Drake or Carrie Kelly myself but all of the Robins have been pretty cool at one stage or another, or at the very least lead to very interesting stories and situations for Batman himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Besides for the 1960s series (where you could argue that this film was paying a homage to), where exactly have you seen this in other superhero films?

I'm not exactly a fan of the bomb plot device, but to suggest that you've seem similar in other superhero franchises is folly I'm afraid.
    Well it happened in the Avengers, to name a recent film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

Then Lucius Fox at the end finding out that "Bruce Wayne ran a patch to fix the auto-pilot issue". OH COME ON. What a cop out, that is just insulting. So Batman is alive, I guess some people in the audience are happier knowing that he's met a nice lady and moved to Europe.

The autopilot thing was foreshadowed through out the whole film, fox tells wayne he wants him to fix it when he shows him the aircraft.

His living at the end makes a lot more sense too, both in terms of him finally moving on and being happy (like what Alfred was trying to get him to do) and also by passing the baton on to Blake. It also provided closure for Alfred to get on with his life and know he wasn't a failure like he thought. I don't think it would have been as satisfying if he was actually dead tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

al28283 wrote: »
    I prefer Tim Drake or Carrie Kelly myself but all of the Robins have been pretty cool at one stage or another, or at the very least lead to very interesting stories and situations for Batman himself.

True, even the most hated Robin(jason was it?) lead to one of the most iconic events in Batman's history with Death in the Family.

Was Carrie Kelly the one in The Dark Knight Returns?

Yeah, that's her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

humanji wrote: »
    Well it happened in the Avengers, to name a recent film.

I can't even remember the ending of The Avengers, says it all. :pac:

Just looked it up, it's a missile, not a bomb. Bomb was central to the plot of TDKR, whereas the missile, while being nifty, was simply an excuse for a heroic moment for the up until then underused Stark.

EDIT The more I think about it, the more I'm intolerant of the bomb complaints. It was introduced an hour into the film and was always given precedence, it was never cliche.

I can't even remember the ending of The Avengers, says it all. :pac:

Just looked it up, it's a missile, not a bomb. Bomb was central to the plot of TDKR, whereas the missile, while being nifty, was simply an excuse for a heroic moment for the up until then underused Stark.

Ah now, it was still nuclear bomb with a race against time which culminated in a hero offering to sacrifice their life to dispose of it no matter how it was propelled :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

also its a neutron bomb not a nuclear one, hence why no tidal wave at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I felt he was a bit wooden in TDK. He loosened up for this though

While Bale was good as batman it's not close to many of his better performances.

One heck of an actor if thats the case. I thought he was great, i can't imagine anyone else in Nolan's trilogy as Batman. I'm surprised quite a few people think he wasn't great in this. What has Bale been better in....The Fighter maybe? I thought he was superb in The Prestige. Overall he is exceptionally talented. I can't picture anyone else in Nolan's trilogy as Bruce Wayne (imagine Leo DiC :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

True, even the most hated Robin(jason was it?) lead to one of the most iconic events in Batman's history with Death in the Family.

And the other managed to start a full out war in Gotham (Stephanie Brown) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Besides for the 1960s series (where you could argue that this film was paying a homage to), where exactly have you seen this in other superhero films?

I'm not exactly a fan of the bomb plot device, but to suggest that you've seem similar in other superhero franchises is folly I'm afraid.

Honestly, are you being serious? That ending was an homage to the comedy Batman movie from the 1960s?

The ticking timebomb is the oldest trick in the fricken book. I don't know why I need to justify criticizing it. Everyone has seen it before. If you need another example, I'm sure I've seen Superman in movie or tv series carry a bomb/torpedo/something into space for it to explode. Someone else might help me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Where have we seen the ending to this movie before....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Hey I made that joke :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The ticking timebomb is the oldest trick in the fricken book. I don't know why I need to justify criticizing it. Everyone has seen it before. If you need another example, I'm sure I've seen Superman in movie or tv series carry a bomb/torpedo/something into space for it to explode. Someone else might help me on that.

Superman does it at the start of Superman 2 with the bomb from the Eiffel Tower.

Batman does it in Batman the Movie if you replace space with the sea.

Batman does it in Batman 89 if you replace ticking bomb with poisonous balloons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

One heck of an actor if thats the case. I thought he was great, i can't imagine anyone else in Nolan's trilogy as Batman. I'm surprised quite a few people think he wasn't great in this. What has Bale been better in....The Fighter maybe? I thought he was superb in The Prestige. Overall he is exceptionally talented. I can't picture anyone else in Nolan's trilogy as Bruce Wayne (imagine Leo DiC :pac: )

Rescue Dawn and the Machinist are just two examples of films where Bales is far better IMO. The Fighter too even though I didn't really care for the film.

He's good as Batman but I don't think any of the scripts bar maybe the third one really allowed him to flex his acting muscles as much as he has done in other films. But you'd expect that from a comic book film anyway so it was never a huge issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The B.A.T. flying machine was a bit of a crutch I felt, a bit ridiculous, it was a vehicle (haha geddit?) to allow the script writers cut corners in a number of scenes.

I had no problem with the BAT. I think it was a great addition to Batman's armory. We were introduced to the Tumbler in Batman Begins and the Batpod in The Dark Knight. They needed something new for this film. We haven't seen Batman with a flying vehicle in this franchise yet so it was something new. At least it was better than the Batwing in Tim Burton's 1989 version that was shot down with one bullet.

I don't see how it allowed the writers to cut corners either. It led to one of the great lines from John Blake when he escapes in the BAT plus Batman's oneliner to Catwoman.

In short, I loved the BAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Honestly, are you being serious? That ending was an homage to the comedy Batman movie from the 1960s?

Even taking your word for it, how many have used it in the same way as TDKR? How many have used it as a means to fake the superhero's death and put him into retirement?

Even taking your word for it, how many have used it in the same way as TDKR? How many have used it as a means to fake the superhero's death and put him into retirement?

Metro Man did it in Megamind.He did exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Heath Ledger hadnt have died would this movie have been a whole lot different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

the warden from the shawshank redemption...

did anybody else see/notice him as one of the first people out of the stock exchange with hands up?!!

Before banes crew came out on their motorbikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

the warden from the shawshank redemption...

did anybody else see/notice him as one of the first people out of the stock exchange with hands up?!!

Before banes crew came out on their motorbikes.

So the warden must have helped them smuggle the motorbikes into the stock exchange, that explains it;)

If Heath Ledger hadnt have died would this movie have been a whole lot different
    I'd say it would be exactly the same except it would be the Joker playing judge instead of Scarecrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd say it would be exactly the same except it would be the Joker playing judge instead of Scarecrow.

oh boo...now that would be disappointing...death by exile! for you my friend.

(I know if that were the case, just the merest glimpse of the nolan/ledgers joker would leave me psychologically baying for more and disappointed in the extreme if I didn't get it)

I seriously doubt it, after Ledger braught the house down in TDK I think they would have given him a fairly big role in this. he's obsessed with Batman too so I don't think he would have been happy to hold court while Bane has all the fun. I'm not even sure they would have gone for Bane at all. Purely speculation on my part of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I seriously doubt it, after Ledger braught the house down in TDK I think they would have given him a fairly big role in this. he's obsessed with Batman too so I don't think he would have been happy to hold court while Bane has all the fun. I'm not even sure they would have gone for Bane at all. Purely speculation on my part of course. :)

I think you're right the Joker is Batman's Arch nemesis he plays second fiddle to no one , that said I think it would have been wrong of the Joker to play the main antagonist two films in a row .

I think you're right the Joker is Batman's Arch nemesis he plays second fiddle to no one , that said I think it would have been wrong of the Joker to play the main antagonist two films in a row .

Could have just had the Joker on the roof seeing the fixed Bat signal in place of Gordon and say "well well".

Just back from seeing it and I absolutely loved it. It was a fitting end to the series that left it open for a number of interesting possibilities. While there were a number of plot holes and the film did feel a little rushed there was just so much to enjoy that they were easily over looked. Will be posting my thoughts in depth once I get behind my PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am i the only one who, from the trailers, thought it was Alfred who said "rise" while bruce was in the prison?

Even in the movie that grey haired dude is out of focus when he says that line. lol. I honestly thought alfred and bruce got thrown into prison before seeing the movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

If I was Bruce Wayne, I'd have been on to the SEC about getting my readies back...Anglo-esque goings on. Who was gonna pick up the tab in the restauarant at the end - Catwoman?

An incredible movie...the best of the trilogy in my view. If it does $1b at the box office, I'd be shocked if there isn't a fourth movie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    If I was Bruce Wayne, I'd have been on to the SEC about getting my readies back...Anglo-esque goings on. Who was gonna pick up the tab in the restauarant at the end - Catwoman?

An incredible movie...the best of the trilogy in my view. If it does $1b at the box office, I'd be shocked if there isn't a fourth movie.

There won't be. Unless Christopher Nolan says so

Advertisement