Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Finally got round to seeing TDKR, was waiting for the dust to settle so to speak however it was a packed house too which surprised me for a Friday morning out here on the other side of the planet.

Really enjoyed it, I do think it's the weaker of the three though.

First 10 minutes are great (Bane's escape), it slogs for about 30-45 minutes after this and then starts to build mighty momentum until the ending which didn't really feel right but was acceptable.

The hand to hand combats between Batman and Bane were the stand out moments for me. The twist with Miranda Tate I never saw coming :D. Great to see Cillian Murphy and Liam Nesson in this, it just tied the whole trilogy nicely together.

Overall I really think Nolan did an amazing job to churn out a solid trilogy.

I don't think we will see Batman on the big screen again for a few years now until the dust settles on this trilogy, could be up to 10 years. I wouldn't see a problem with Nolan returning but maybe some fans may want to see something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Anyone else think the batman trilogy is similar to Star Wars in terms of quality within the trilogy?

Batman begins - A new hope (middle)
    TDR - Empire (best)
    TDKR - Jedi (worst)

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    If I was Bruce Wayne, I'd have been on to the SEC about getting my readies back...Anglo-esque goings on. Who was gonna pick up the tab in the restauarant at the end - Catwoman?

An incredible movie...the best of the trilogy in my view. If it does $1b at the box office, I'd be shocked if there isn't a fourth movie.

Bale and Nolan won't do a fourth guaranteed so it'd be the studio and they couldn't match Nolan's trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I find it very hard to watch a film, even one I've really enjoyed, more than once during a short space of time.

So because someone didn't enjoy it they shouldn't bother writing their opinion?

Fair point, I just thought some people put a huge amount of effort in nit picking a film they don't like. I wouldn't be bothered personally.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    You mean Damien Wayne? :D Wouldn't that be a great route to take for the reboot if they hadn't killed Tahlia in this

I thought that myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

If I was Bruce Wayne, I'd have been on to the SEC about getting my readies back...Anglo-esque goings on. Who was gonna pick up the tab in the restauarant at the end - Catwoman?

An incredible movie...the best of the trilogy in my view. If it does $1b at the box office, I'd be shocked if there isn't a fourth movie.

Bale and Nolan won't do a fourth guaranteed so it'd be the studio and they couldn't match Nolan's trilogy.

Robert Downey Jr's now getting $50m per Iron Man movie...everyone has a price, including Nolan and Bale.

• Advertisement

Robert Downey Jr's now getting $50m per Iron Man movie...everyone has a price, including Nolan and Bale.

Nolan is different. He won't make another Batman movie no matter how much they offer him.

Nolan is different. He won't make another Batman movie no matter how much they offer him.

Really? Are you his best friend or his agent?

Everyone has a price. We're talking about a multibillion dollar product..."I'm just in it for the art, man" doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Sweet jebus - he must be the highest paid actor alive getting bunse like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone else think the batman trilogy is similar to Star Wars in terms of quality within the trilogy?

Batman begins - A new hope (middle)
    TDR - Empire (best)
    TDKR - Jedi (worst)

Not really in to star wars but I think it a matter of opinion regarding the movies.

At the moment I'm in the minority as I currently think Batman Begins and Rises are better than The Dark Knight.

Of course I could change my mind in the future...

Nolan's trilogy will always be Batman to me...I don't care who does what in the future, I think this is going to be as good as it gets.

I'd love to see more but as the above mentions, I think he has said what he wants in terms of the Batman story...I think Christian Bale and Robert Downey Jr are two different kinds of actors. Bale is very much more toward artistry, more into acting as an art form and methodology as opposed to Downey Jr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Nolan's trilogy will always be Batman to me...I don't care who does what in the future, I think this is going to be as good as it gets.

Have to agree, I do not believe they'll ever be beaten. Once they make good Batman films and keep it along comic book lines, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I think one reason the 2nd movie in a trilogy always stands out is that the can usually end on a tragic note or leave a sense of hopelessness. People love a tragedy. While the first movie establishes our heros, the second can destroy them, and the 3rd sows everything up in a nice package.

TKD is popular in one way because the bad guy won, Harvey Dent turned, Rachel dead and Batman labelled a murderer. The movie leaves you wanting more, wanting resolution. Similar to Vader capturing Hans Solo and de-handing Luke or Marty getting lost in time in BTTF.

Rises ends on positive notes, Bruce free, Gotham saved, Bad guys dead and a replacement ready to take up the mantle and for many (an i do understand this) this is just too perfect. Although it may not have been the ending you wanted, it was the ending the trilogy needed.

I think one reason the 2nd movie in a trilogy always stands out is that the can usually end on a tragic note or leave a sense of hopelessness. People love a tragedy. While the first movie establishes our heros, the second can destroy them, and the 3rd sows everything up in a nice package.

TKD is popular in one way because the bad guy won, Harvey Dent turned, Rachel dead and Batman labelled a murderer. The movie leaves you wanting more, wanting resolution. Similar to Vader capturing Hans Solo and de-handing Luke or Marty getting lost in time in BTTF.

Rises ends on positive notes, Bruce free, Gotham saved, Bad guys dead and a replacement ready to take up the mantle and for many (an i do understand this) this is just too perfect. Although it may not have been the ending you wanted, it was the ending the trilogy needed.

Well said sir!

Everyone has a price. We're talking about a multibillion dollar product..."I'm just in it for the art, man" doesn't wash.

Do some research into the man and his career. He won't make another Batman.

Do some research into the man and his career. He won't make another Batman.

The fact that you feel that you know precisely what this man will it won't do is laughable...none of us do.

I suspect that he'll make another but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Are you his best friend or agent?

Not everyone has a price, not when you're already wealthy and reached a point in your career where you can choose what films you do.

Bale has always been known as a fiercely committed artist, unhealthily so at times. He won't make another Batman, unless maybe Nolan comes to him with a script.

Are you his best friend or agent?

Not everyone has a price, not when you're already wealthy and reached a point in your career where you can choose what films you do.

Bale has always been known as a fiercely committed artist, unhealthily so at times. He won't make another Batman, unless maybe Nolan comes to him with a script.

I'm not the one making sweeping and definitive statements. I'm just giving my view that on the basis that most people have a price, I'd be surprised if we don't see another Batman film from Nolan.

The salient point is that we don't know so it's ridiculous to make definitive statements like "he's a committed artist so he wouldn't take the $50m".

For all his quirky dedication to his art, Bale didn't have a problem appearing in the utter sh1te that is Terminator Salvation.

And often when someone is that wealthy, they recognise when an opportunity is money for old rope...even if you're worth $1b (which neither Nolan nor Bale are), $50m is real money (especially if they know that they can come up with a good product).

I definitely wouldn't rule out a Nolan / Snyder / Bale / Cavill Justice League movie if Man of Steel "flies"...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He signed a 4 picture deal years ago and has never said publicly that he won't make anymore Iron Man movies. Different situation imo.

I could see Nolan staying on in a producer capacity (though he's said he won't do that anymore after Man of Steel either apparently) but either way his Batman movies have completed their story arc. No matter what they do next it will be a seperate story to this.

He was smart in that he gave them options with the ending but I think if they make another it will be Bruce Wayne wearing the cowl again. A Justice League without Bruce as Batman wouldn't work imo, I think we'll see a full on reboot seperate from Nolan's films.

They could easily just reboot Batman in the actual JLA movie as others have said or release the Batman movie rumoured for 2014 and then do JLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Everyone has a price.

Broad sweeping statement.
    The fact that you feel that you know precisely what this man will it won't do is laughable...none of us do.

I suspect that he'll make another but I don't know.

What are you suspicions based on?

He already got buckets for TDKR. He has made his millions with this trilogy, Inception, The Prestige, Memnto... and another future movie he makes he will be able to name his own price.

Art is about growing and developing nad movien onto new challenges and experiences. Nolan has stated he will never do another Batman, I take his word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The movie was simply EPIC.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

http://www.slashfilm.com/christian-bale-mentions-dark-knight-rises-sequel-happen-tv-spot/
    My understanding is that this is the last one. I think it’s appropriate, I think it’s going out at the right time. But…if Chris came to me with a script and said, ‘You know what? There is another story’ then I would love the challenge of making a fourth one work.

So; straight from the horse's mouth.
    Bale would give it a go if Nolan does.

What are you suspicions based on?

The following:

- Rises' ending doesn't preclude a sequel.

- Bale has publicly stated that he's open minded about the prospect.

- Everybody has a price. We're talking about a multibillion dollar franchise. You throw enough money at pretty much anything and you can make things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I think if Nolan was going to make more than three movies he would have kept Rises for later, there is loads of room between TDK and TDKR to fit a couple more if he wanted to but he chose to end it and that says it all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The following:

- Everybody has a price. We're talking about a multibillion dollar franchise. You throw enough money at pretty much anything and you can make things happen.

So conjecture, speculation, hypothosis and disregard for Christopher Nolan's word that he won't return to Batman.

I'm gonna eat these words if he returns in 5years or so but I simply can't see him approaching it for at least 5years.

- Everybody has a price.

That is simply incorrect.

The following:

So conjecture, speculation, hypothosis and disregard for Christopher Nolan's word that he won't return to Batman.

I'm gonna eat these words if he returns in 5years or so but I simply can't see him approaching it for at least 5years.

Is it unreasonable to base a suspicion on a hypothesis?

I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wonder what story line they could fit in those 8 years between TDK and TDKR?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Would there be any chance they could make a Cat woman movie with Anne Hathaway? That would be great.

Is it unreasonable to base a suspicion on a hypothesis?

I don't think so.

Your hypothesis is obviously flawed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

I wonder what story line they could fit in those 8 years between TDK and TDKR?

you could fit in many of the unused villains if they got the nolan treatment imo

a darker riddler.............maybe a serial killer who leads batman up cul de sacs and gives a more detective oriented storyline...they whole city could be paralysed by fear as he remains uncaught....LOS could be backing him as a distraction for another attempt

Professor Hugo Strange would be brilliant and easily worked into nolans vision also imo...discovers batmans true identity

Penguin as a rich, well connected, high society crime boss perhaps

I'm sure Dr. Victor Fries could be worked in well also but after witnessing the character in batman and robin I just couldn't get my head around it personally

Advertisement