Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

Would there be any chance they could make a Cat woman movie with Anne Hathaway? That would be great.

Meh....I really mean that apathy btw:D

If Nolan directed it I would have to see it....but I'd be going to the cinema with a sense of dread and foreboding.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    I'm not the one making sweeping and definitive statements.
    Everybody has a price.

71b14a93_jackie-chan-meme_thumb7.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think one reason the 2nd movie in a trilogy always stands out is that the can usually end on a tragic note or leave a sense of hopelessness. People love a tragedy. While the first movie establishes our heros, the second can destroy them, and the 3rd sows everything up in a nice package.

TKD is popular in one way because the bad guy won, Harvey Dent turned, Rachel dead and Batman labelled a murderer. The movie leaves you wanting more, wanting resolution. Similar to Vader capturing Hans Solo and de-handing Luke or Marty getting lost in time in BTTF.

Rises ends on positive notes, Bruce free, Gotham saved, Bad guys dead and a replacement ready to take up the mantle and for many (an i do understand this) this is just too perfect. Although it may not have been the ending you wanted, it was the ending the trilogy needed.

Well said. I really wish they let Batman die rather than the happy ending. The moment I thought he was dead was the only "wow" moment I had in the entire film. Fantastic ending none the less. Gutted they backtracked from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Grimebox wrote: »
    Well said. I really wish they let Batman die rather than the happy ending. The moment I thought he was dead was the only "wow" moment I had in the entire film. Fantastic ending none the less. Gutted they backtracked from that

It's not backtracking if it was always the original intention to end on the note that they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

amacca wrote: »
    a darker riddler.............maybe a serial killer who leads batman up cul de sacs and gives a more detective oriented storyline...they whole city could be paralysed by fear as he remains uncaught....LOS could be backing him as a distraction for another attempt

I'd always imagined this a little bit like Die Hard: With a Vengeance. I mean that in a good way though. Where the B-Man is pressed against time to solve these riddles. Unfortunately though, the "darker / real-world" take on the Riddler might bring a few comparisons to TDK's portrayal of the Joker.

I'd have kind of liked to see a Nolanverse take on the character Hush. In fact; with a little bit of reworking, that storyline might even "fit" as a continuation of this franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's not backtracking if it was always the original intention to end on the note that they did.

Presumably he meant 'backtracking' in the sense the viewer was initially lead to think he died, only to learn otherwise in a 'twist' soon after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not the one making sweeping and definitive statements.
    Everybody has a price.

71b14a93_jackie-chan-meme_thumb7.png

Everybody has a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I'm glad they didn't kill the character, it leaves it open for all of them to return which I really think they will years from now.

Right now, there is way too much pressure and expectations from the fans and I think this is one of the reasons that TDKR feels a little creaky in places. I could feel a slightly rushed pace and lack of unique ideas to conclude the whole thing towards the end.

Nolan and crew probably just want everyone off their backs for a few years now, work on some new projects and get some space to generate some fresh new ideas together without the media breathing down their necks all the time.

What director wouldn't welcome a break from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

who_me wrote: »
    Presumably he meant 'backtracking' in the sense the viewer was initially lead to think he died, only to learn otherwise in a 'twist' soon after.

It was hardly backtracking though

The Autopilot thing was flagged early on in the movie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Would there be any chance they could make a Cat woman movie with Anne Hathaway? That would be great.

Terrible idea. People want batman, not Catwoman, it's too gimmicky.

• Advertisement

I'd always imagined this a little bit like Die Hard: With a Vengeance. I mean that in a good way though. Where the B-Man is pressed against time to solve these riddles. Unfortunately though, the "darker / real-world" take on the Riddler might bring a few comparisons to TDK's portrayal of the Joker.

I'd have kind of liked to see a Nolanverse take on the character Hush. In fact; with a little bit of reworking, that storyline might even "fit" as a continuation of this franchise.

yep....although I'd like to see how they would avoid the temptation to introduce a load of classic villains orchestrated by him to take down batman...wouldn't like to see it feature a lot of villain "cameos"

Also the character of Red Hood would make a great continuation imo - jokers old alias (could include details of jokers origin as these were not given in TDK) - leaves behind a calling card, "let the punishment fit the crime" only he has no limits - new JGL Batman comes into conflict with him for his methods, red hood describes the whole thing as the revenge of one crazy man in a mask against another crazy man in a mask- he then defeats new batman but is unable to stop whatever villain is menacing gotham (my pick would be serial killer riddler) meaning Bruce has to come out of retirement to put him and the villain and the manipulative LOS down - - - there all done, the dark knight rises again!:D

Considering your avatar, I don't think we're going to agree on anything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I wonder what story line they could fit in those 8 years between TDK and TDKR?

The Dark Knight Procrastinates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

- Alfred mentions that he always hoped to see Bruce away from Gotham, possibly with a family, having moved on with his life.
    - Selena Kyle throughout the movie was simply looking for a 'clean slate', a new start on life.
    - Lucius mentions that he could never get the auto-pilot to work on 'The Bat'

There was only ever going to be one ending, anything else would have felt like a cheat, based on the above.

Also, like most of the main plot points, 'Bruce faking his own death' was taken from the graphic novels [specifically The Dark Knight Returns].

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Dark Knight Vegetates

Not great but much better than the adult sequel - the Dark Knight masturbates! :pac:

Everybody has a price.

So you keep saying!

You sound like a poor man's Albert!

Doesn't quite have the same edge as "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Is it possible that Bale will continue to be batman,but the location will change from Gotham to Paris? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

According to an interview with Nolan recently the first part of the movie they came up with was the ending so I don't think there was any backtracking. As has been pointed out numerous times the ending is consistent with and a fitting conclusion to the themes of the series.

Is it possible that Bale will continue to be batman,but the location will change from Gotham to Paris? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

The Dark Knight Backpacks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The ending was one of the few things I didn't hate about this. I've never understood the lust for Wayne to be killed off by some people - the notion that a heros death is the only satisfying conclusion to an arc is one of the worst impulses you see in comic fandom.

The ending was one of the few things I didn't hate about this. I've never understood the lust for Wayne to be killed off by some people - the notion that a heros death is the only satisfying conclusion to an arc is one of the worst impulses you see in comic fandom.

I have no lust for him to die nor have I ever read a batman comic in my life. I just thought it was completely unexpected for him to die and really it blew me away. I thought he was going to be a predictable ending tying everything together nicely but for a split second it seemed Nolan was going down a completely different route. I was little disappointed, thats all.

I have no lust for him to die nor have I ever read a batman comic in my life. I just thought it was completely unexpected for him to die and really it blew me away. I thought he was going to be a predictable ending tying everything together nicely but for a split second it seemed Nolan was going to a completely different route. I was little disappointed, thats all.

I agree that I would've enjoyed the ending more had he actually died.

Or if Alfred had looked across and just nodded, leaving you to fill in the blank yourself. Maybe he's dead, maybe he's not...........

I'm guessing though that they wouldn't allow Nolan to kill Bruce Wayne!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree that I would've enjoyed the ending more had he actually died.

Or if Alfred had looked across and just nodded, leaving you to fill in the blank yourself. Maybe he's dead, maybe he's not...........

I'm guessing though that they wouldn't allow Nolan to kill Bruce Wayne!

Thank god it wasn't left like this. I don't think I could have stood to hear all the arguing about it, heck even though the film has a fairly clear cut ending people are still arguing that it was a dream.

Thank god it wasn't left like this. I don't think I could have stood to hear all the arguing about it, heck even though the film has a fairly clear cut ending people are still arguing that it was a dream.

Yeah but you shouldn't take those people seriously!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Isn't it right that Bruce Wayne ends up happy rather than brown bread?

Clearly not a dream on the basis that Alfred knew nothing of Selina Kyle.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The nod would have been pretty clearcut too imo. He wouldn't nod if Bruce wasn't there. you're right though the groundless speculation would have been ten times worse, no reason to think anything was a dream at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would of been a nice little scene if Alfred just nodded and smiled without seeing bruce.

Sure anyone with the smallest of brains could of figured out bruce was alive. From what alfred said earlier in the movie. Not to mention it showed him looking around and looking sad in the flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Can't wait. Batman with a copy of the Lonely Planet - France edition tucked under his arm queuing up for a ten second glance at the Mona Lisa. Sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You obviously don't read comics, because the notion that a heroes death is the easy way to increase sales is one of the worst impulses you see in comic fandom.

Advertisement