Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You obviously don't read comics, because the notion that a heroes death is the easy way to increase sales is one of the worst impulses you see in comic fandom.

Not to mention finding a way to bring said hero back to life due to the increased sales braught about by their death :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is it possible that Bale will continue to be batman,but the location will change from Gotham to Paris? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Can't wait. Batman with a copy of the Lonely Planet - France edition tucked under his arm queuing up for a ten second glance at the Mona Lisa. Sounds great.

He should actually go around the world finding new Batmen in every city like he did with Blake...I'd call the movie Batman Inc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Grimebox wrote: »
    It's not backtracking if it was always the original intention to end on the note that they did.

Considering your avatar, I don't think we're going to agree on anything :P
    Good one. ;) While Nolan always maintained that he took one film at a time, he also said that him and Goyer mapped out how they wanted Bruce's journey to go from the start in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

seen it twice now, enjoyed it more without the feeling of disappointment the 2nd time round, just took it as is. I still love the opening, the big chase after the wall st heist, the beatdown, I'd forgotten how vicious some of it was. I didnt like how after this big moment it just jumpcuts to a quiet shot of Blake though, the editing is fairly shoddy throughout it in places. and I (nitpicking alert!) want to know how Bruce knows the bomb is going to go off the next day after he arrives into Gotham, when he hadn't talked to Lucius yet at that point since he asks Selina to find him. We just got a big revelation that the bomb had 23 days left on it while Bruce was still in prison, timed that pretty close didnt he? I still hate that after the themes in the previous two movies and everything up to the Lazy Summer Movie Plot Device arrives that at the end of it all it boils down to a timebomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

krudler wrote: »
    seen it twice now, enjoyed it more without the feeling of disappointment the 2nd time round, just took it as is. I still love the opening, the big chase after the wall st heist, the beatdown, I'd forgotten how vicious some of it was. I didnt like how after this big moment it just jumpcuts to a quiet shot of Blake though, the editing is fairly shoddy throughout it in places. and I (nitpicking alert!) want to know how Bruce knows the bomb is going to go off the next day after he arrives into Gotham, when he hadn't talked to Lucius yet at that point since he asks Selina to find him. We just got a big revelation that the bomb had 23 days left on it while Bruce was still in prison, timed that pretty close didnt he? I still hate that after the themes in the previous two movies and everything up to the Lazy Summer Movie Plot Device arrives that at the end of it all it boils down to a timebomb.
    Because surely he knows the timeframe that the bomb will go off, he'd clearly done homework on the reactor which is why he never commissioned it for energy use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bruce knowing that the bomb is going to go off tomorrow is only a plot hole if you also think Nolan not showing you how Bruce gets back to Gotham is a plot hole. Gordon and the rest of the resistance have been discussing the fact that the bomb is going to go off by a particular date for months. Once Bruce gets back it wouldn't be difficult for him to find out the basics of the situation. He has access to the Bat bunker and would have been listening in on their radio communication (Bane was probably doing the same). The whole reason he wants to see Fox is because he needs to know exactly how long is left before the bomb ignites and make plans to disarm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Bruce knowing that the bomb is going to go off tomorrow is only a plot hole if you also think Nolan not showing you how Bruce gets back to Gotham is a plot hole. Gordon and the rest of the resistance have been discussing the fact that the bomb is going to go off by a particular date for months. Once Bruce gets back it wouldn't be difficult for him to find out the basics of the situation. He has access to the Bat bunker and would have been listening in on their radio communication (Bane was probably doing the same). The whole reason he wants to see Fox is because he needs to know exactly how long is left before the bomb ignites and make plans to disarm it.

Maybe im completely wrong but i took it that the detective is going to be the new Batman by the way the film ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

there's a lot of "well clearly this happened" with this movie, I dont expect to be spoonfed, I prefer not to be, but when not showing stuff leaves story holes it only hurts the movie.

I'd forgotten how brilliant the first half of the movie was, I genuinely cant fault it, its only in the messy third act I mostly have issues with. the fight between Bane and Batman is more vicious than I remember, love Bane's taunts thoughout it "you fight like a younger man!". "victory has defeated you!" I loved Hathaways performance much more the 2nd time, she stole a lot of the movie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

there's a lot of "well clearly this happened" with this movie, I dont expect to be spoonfed, I prefer not to be, but when not showing stuff leaves story holes it only hurts the movie.

I'd forgotten how brilliant the first half of the movie was, I genuinely cant fault it, its only in the messy third act I mostly have issues with. the fight between Bane and Batman is more vicious than I remember, love Bane's taunts thoughout it "you fight like a younger man!". "victory has defeated you!" I loved Hathaways performance much more the 2nd time, she stole a lot of the movie for me.

I really appreciated the fight scene MUCH more second time around.

Bane is in colntrol the entire time. Bale plays it suberbly IMO. You can feel his frustration building and building from your cinema seat.

When he lets out that shout in frustration you it's almost like you experience the frustration yourself.

The taunts were awesome but when the lights go out and Bane starts to explains "You only adopted the dark..... I was born in it", that's when it's at it's most sinister!

Amazing stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

No doubt he rang NetJets and took a private jet back to Gotham? Who cares - It's plausible that he made it back.

And Bruce knew as much about the bomb as anyone - I'm sure that he was aware of the score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I really want to see this again now because it seems we watched completely different film! I thought the first half was boring and the end saved it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I loved Hathaways performance much more the 2nd time, she stole a lot of the movie for me.

She had my attention straight away with the change in attitude when Bruce called the safe uncrackable.
    Plus the switching from damsel in distress to normal in the bar was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention finding a way to bring said hero back to life due to the increased sales braught about by their death :D
    Superman: Doomsday anybody? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

A good film but a bit underwhelming tbh. Nothing could have lived up to the hype or The Dark Knight. Points I found weak:

1. They overdid Bruce being tired and older at the start. The walking stick was a bit much.

2. I could see the Marion Cotillard twist a mile off.

3. The minute Alfred told his story, I knew that was how the film would end.

4. A lot of Bane's lines were still inaudible, although I thought Hardy did a great job.

I won't be going to see it again. Will wait for the DVD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Who's this Albert that people keep referring to? Does predictive text chane Alfred to Albert?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Didn't they destroy everything in the Bat bunker at the end of TDK? Don't tell me they rebuilt it, the chap was having a siesta for 8-years afterwards.

One thing that's niggling me (sorry if it's been discussed already) who did they bury in Bruce's grave? Or was it just full of shredded newspaper? How could they declare him dead before 7 years if there was no body? That was the timeframe in Batman Begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Turpentine wrote: »
    Didn't they destroy everything in the Bat bunker at the end of TDK? Don't tell me they rebuilt it, the chap was having a siesta for 8-years afterwards.

One thing that's niggling me (sorry if it's been discussed already) who did they bury in Bruce's grave? Or was it just full of shredded newspaper? How could they declare him dead before 7 years if there was no body? That was the timeframe in Batman Begins.

I don't think he was only declared dead AFTER 7 years or BECAUSE he had been away 7 years. It just happened that he'd been away 7 years and he'd been declared dead.

You can still be declared dead minue a body. Especially if you died while sitting on an Atomic Bomb!

Where did you get this part? :confused:

Where did you get this part? :confused:

At the end of the Dark Knight. Wayne says to Alfred "I'm going to tell them it was your idea" etc.

At the end of the Dark Knight. Wayne says to Alfred "I'm going to tell them it was your idea" etc.

That was almost in the middle of TDK. It was when he was going to say he was Batman before Dent took the fall

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't think he was only declared dead AFTER 7 years or BECAUSE he had been away 7 years. It just happened that he'd been away 7 years and he'd been declared dead.

You can still be declared dead minue a body. Especially if you died while sitting on an Atomic Bomb!

Ah jaysis, that was on the QT.

I'm talking about Bruce Wayne. Yeah maybe he died in the riots. Or maybe he got a knock on the head and now eeks a living stripping seagull carcasses by the docks. They can't just declare you dead after a few months unless there's a body.

That was almost in the middle of TDK. It was when he was going to say he was Batman before Dent took the fall

Oh, you were just disagreeing that it was at the end, not that it had happened? Apologies chum, I wasn't catering for the truly pedantic there.

Ah jaysis, that was on the QT.

I'm talking about Bruce Wayne. Yeah maybe he died in the riots. Or maybe he got a knock on the head and now eeks a living stripping seagull carcasses by the docks. They can't just declare you dead after a few months unless there's a body.

With all the rich people on trial (and killed or "exiled") he could easily have been declared as one of those by Fox

Oh, you were just disagreeing that it was at the end, not that it had happened? Apologies chum, I wasn't catering for the truly pedantic there.

Well they just destroyed the paperwork and burnable stuff. The suit remained there and it was just closed off. He suited up and used equipment from it after that scene

With all the rich people on trial (and killed or "exiled") he could easily have been declared as one of those by Fox

Er, yeah, I suppose. Still don't buy it. Even if Fox says "I saw Wayne take an ill advised dip in the brine" surely it takes more than the word of one co-worker to be declared dead. How would they know Fox wasn't after the company or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They destroyed all the documents, but his suit and equipment was intact. Not only was it used again in TDK, but you see Bruce and Fox in the Bat Bunker in TDKR - that's where he gets the suit from before the scene with Gordon on the ice. And of course, he also has the Batcave in this film, which is not part of the island that was isolated by Bane. It's possible he went there first before meeting up with Selina.

Well they just destroyed the paperwork and burnable stuff. The suit remained there and it was just closed off. He suited up and used equipment from it after that scene

Well that was far-sighted of them.

Fair enough, i thought they'd gotten rid of everything.

They destroyed all the documents, but his suit and equipment was intact. Not only was it used again in TDK, but you see Bruce and Fox in the Bat Bunker in TDKR - that's where he gets the suit from before the scene with Gordon on the ice. And of course, he also has the Batcave in this film, which is not part of the island that was isolated by Bane. It's possible he went there first before meeting up with Selina.

Great maybe you'll know:

Who's the (un)lucky corpse in Bruce Wayne's grave?

Maybe there was so many dead and missing people they decided to declare him dead anyway. Or Alfred made up some story about him going for a swim in the ocean that day. Who cares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Great maybe you'll know:

Who's the (un)lucky corpse in Bruce Wayne's grave?

Not sure if serious, but I highly doubt they expected to recover the corpse of the bloke they thought was blown up by a neutron bomb that detonated a few dozen feet beneath him.

Advertisement