Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

allanb49 wrote: »
    How does Bane eat or drink?

I got the impression that he can take it off, it's just a very painful experience. It won't kill him like.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Saw this in YLYL. Brilliant!

214811.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought most of Bane's goons were LOS becasue Tahlia let him back in afte Ra's died. His men seem more like fanatics to the cause like the guy that was happy to be left on the plane, that would fit more with LOS than an army of mercenaries. Though I guess it could be a mix of both.

Oh and I knew she Tate was Tahlia because there was a set pic released about a year ago of her wearing a Kimono, the fact she wasn't really mentioned in any trailers further added to it too. :(

Yeah, I suppose you could have seen it coming, but those set photos just totally ruined it. Then again, I didn't see the Talia was the one who escaped the pit twist coming so it was still a cool moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, I suppose you could have seen it coming, but those set photos just totally ruined it. Then again, I didn't see the Talia was the one who escaped the pit twist coming so it was still a cool moment.

Yeah I didn't cop that either, though I should have put 2 and 2 when they said Bane was Ra's Al Ghul's son.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You know, I'm sure as hell going to get some disagreements to this, but just because certain parts of the film are 'predictable' or, for some, were ruined by pre-release photos isn't necessarily a bad thing. If M. Night Shyamalan movies have taught us anything, twists are far from the be all and end all of great storytelling.

I had heard vague rumblings that Coutillard was Talia, but the execution of the storyline caught me off guard. However, I realised very early on in proceedings that Gordon Levitt's character was being groomed to be the next caped crusader. And you know what? That allowed me to enjoy the storyline even more. It was quite elegantly put together, actually, with all of his character's storyline tightly focused on exploring the actions and motivations that lead him to that pivotal point in the film's conclusion. It allowed me to sit back and appreciate his role in the story to a far greater degree. Sure, it's nice to have the rug pulled out from under you from time to time, but storylines with resolutions that are cleverly foreshadowed, thematically relevant and internally consistent are far more rewarding than a cheap third act reversal. I look forward to revisiting the film and analysing Talia's place in the story from this perspective, as - from my first time recollections - her grand game plan to win Wayne's trust is equally clever, and likely will hold up to scrutiny.

In 99% of cases it's the execution, not the revelations, that matter. It's why a great film is one you can revisit despite knowing what happens at the end, even if there's always something to be said for going in blind first time around.

Also, re questions related to 'plot holes'. This is a very long film that is almost entirely devoid of fluff: off the top of my head I can't think of many scenes that aren't directly related to narrative progression, vital character development or emphasising the film's thematic focuses. It makes maximum use of available screen real estate, and with Hollywood (and most bladders) terrified of anything that breaches the three hour mark, is likely as long as you could possibly get. If anything, there's too much of everything given the time allowance. So I think we can safely assume that hugely unimportant facts like how Bane eats or what's in the grave were ignored because a) Nolan trusts the audience to make up their own mind and b) the scenes that are there were far more important to the film than Bane getting intravenously fed or Alfred et al. commenting on how they didn't find a body because the giant explosion decimated everything in its blast radius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Eh, a handful of people know that Bruce Wayne is Batman...Bruce's "death" has nothing to do with the neutron bomb.

Having said that, it's easily explained in the chaos that engulfed Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Went to see TDKR last night and thought it was fantastic the time flew.

Only think was during the batman and bane fights i kept thinking of the tv series KAPOW BAM sound effect slightly different

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone else notice how Bane's skin is all rough? during the first fight especially, its like its spackled or something, wonder was it makeup to cover Hardy's tattoos or just something added for another reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The bomb that was built to be a fusion reactor. So why does it have a clear LED display of the time on it? HOw can anyone time a meltdown to a second? And why after flying it in reality about 2 miles off the coast no one is hurt. There is no radiation. Wind Factor? No title wave from the ocean. Just a cloud. A puff.

enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    The bomb that was built to be a fusion reactor. So why does it have a clear LED display of the time on it? HOw can anyone time a meltdown to a second? And why after flying it in reality about 2 miles off the coast no one is hurt. There is no radiation. Wind Factor? No title wave from the ocean. Just a cloud. A puff.

enjoyed it though.

it was a neutron bomb so probably wouldnt have caused a tidal wave, the timer was silly though

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh and I knew she Tate was Tahlia because there was a set pic released about a year ago of her wearing a Kimono, the fact she wasn't really mentioned in any trailers further added to it too. :(

Yeah, I saw that too.
    And at the point in the film where she was wearing the gear, all I could think was...why did she change clothes?
    Not a nit-pick in any way whatsoever, but there wasn't a clear plot-progression from her doing that. If Nolan had just left her in the normal getup, over-eager fools like myself (and Mickeroo!) wouldn't have had that bit spoiled for them. Although that said; it's mostly my / our own fault for scouring the internet for info before the film came out.

I had heard vague rumblings that Coutillard was Talia, but the execution of the storyline caught me off guard. However, I realised very early on in proceedings that Gordon Levitt's character was being groomed to be the next caped crusader. And you know what? That allowed me to enjoy the storyline even more. It was quite elegantly put together, actually, with all of his character's storyline tightly focused on exploring the actions and motivations that lead him to that pivotal point in the film's conclusion.

When bruce meets tahlia at the party I though it was obvious enough she was really talking about Batman and not the fusion reactor when she mentions "investing half his fortune in a plan to save the world only to give up when it fails".

I don't think his grooming of Blake was meant to be any sort of secret anyway though I couldn't have predicted the exact way that particular thread ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

krudler wrote: »
    She wouldnt have known that either unless she'd seen TDK :pac:

And she'd be Batsh*t insane to go seeing the sequel without seeing the first instalment!
    In fact, people like her wreck my head! I

And she'd be Batsh*t insane to go seeing the sequel without seeing the first instalment!
    In fact, people like her wreck my head! I

I know a few people who went to see this without having seen one or both of the other ones, whhyyyy?! I know a guy who went to see the Matrix Revolutions without seen the first two, that must have been a baffling ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

I know a guy who went to see the Matrix Revolutions without seen the first two, that must have been a baffling ordeal.

In fairness.....the matrix revolutions would be a baffling ordeal with or without seeing the other two first :pac:

In fact not knowing how **** revolutions was in comparison to the first one might leave you less upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I know a few people who went to see this without having seen one or both of the other ones, whhyyyy?! .

That's wierd!

What prompted them to see this and not the other two? It's like starting 5 chapters from the end of a book. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

It wasn't until she knifed Batman that I remembered 'Oh yeah Tahlia is supposed to be in this, read that on Boards months back'. :D

There was tons of other stuff I missed until I came on Boards to read this thread.
    Great service is Boards, helps the stupid like me.

FlashD wrote: »
    That's wierd!

What prompted them to see this and not the other two? It's like starting 5 chapters from the end of a book. :pac::pac:

I know I don't get it, especially something that has an arching storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Some random John Doe that they're filling up with blood to make it look like the good Doc had died. Shows the level of intellect that Bane has to ensure there are no loose ends in the unlikely event of a body still being somewhat identified through bloodwork after the crash.

The bullet holes in the CIA guards however would be slightly suspicious :p
    Its pretty thin though, they're more likely to do a DNA test on the actual corpse than its blood which could get vapourised in an explosion.(I don't actually remember if the plane exploded or not :o)
    Also the wings of the plane being 10 miles away from the fuselage should really get some gravity related alarm bells ringing!
    I thought most of Bane's goons were LOS becasue Tahlia let him back in afte Ra's died. His men seem more like fanatics to the cause like the guy that was happy to be left on the plane, that would fit more with LOS than an army of mercenaries. Though I guess it could be a mix of both.
    I'd be of the opinion that Talia inherited the resources and contacts of what was left of the LoS and used them to place herself on the Wayne board, fund the fusion project, smuggle all the items and people into Gotham but only a handful of LoS ninjas are supporting them as Banes right hand men and they would be willing to die to avenge their sensei!

Now that I think about it what BAT were Fox and the techies working on at the end of the film?
    If there were two in the bunker and Batman had upgraded the autopilot on both why didn't Bane take it like the tumblers?

And why didn't Robin drive the bus with the kids to the tunnel Catwoman had opened up?

I really do hope there is a 3+ hour extended/directors cut blu-ray that fills in alot of the holes and fleshes some aspects like:

• What happened to Bruce directly after TDK, the 8 years, his injury etc
    • A better story for Robin knowing Bruce is Batman (It would have been nice if this was tied back to the earlier films, like robin was the kid he gives the periscope to in BB)
    • A bit more background to Talia and that board member guy who is working with Bane and their history with Bruce.
    • The relationship between Catwoman and Bruce could do with some work too, she betrayes him, almost gets him killed and tries more than once to disappear but he still ends up with her in the fairytale ending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I know I don't get it, especially something that has an arching storyline.

Return Of The King

"So, it's just a piece of jewellery... Why are they throwing it away?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

• What happened to Bruce directly after TDK, the 8 years, his injury etc
    • A better story for Robin knowing Bruce is Batman (It would have been nice if this was tied back to the earlier films, like robin was the kid he gives the periscope to in BB)
    • A bit more background to Talia and that board member guy who is working with Bane and their history with Bruce.
    • The relationship between Catwoman and Bruce could do with some work too, she betrayes him, almost gets him killed and tries more than once to disappear but he still ends up with her in the fairytale ending?

Yeah for me those areas were pretty disjointed from a lot of the rest of the movie. I certainly had a few questions during the movie, but then again that's Nolan's style I think. A few areas open for interpretation, but purposefully so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Wasn't the Robin thing tied back to Batman Begins?

Robin was a kid that Batman gave something to in Begins or Robin saw him looking sad or something?

Jame Gumb wrote: »

Robin was a kid that Batman gave something to in Begins or Robin saw him looking sad or something?

Nah Blake says Wayne came to the orphanage when he was a kid but it was never shown in the other films.

Jame Gumb wrote: »

different kid,he's off being a dickhead of a king, has a penchant for crossbows and torturing people, looks a bit inbred. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

different kid,he's off being a dickhead of a king, has a penchant for crossbows and torturing people, looks a bit inbred. :pac:

Well he did get into trinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Myself and my girlfriend went to the BB/TDK double Bill before the release of TDKR.

Up pops the little kid and just as i'm thinking the exact words, she whispers to me "Jesus, even as a kid that Joffrey fella has a punchable face!"

Just remembered that scene in the Batcave when Bruce shouts at Alfred. Great moment but couldn't help but think of this:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend went to the BB/TDK double Bill before the release of TDKR.

Up pops the little kid and just as i'm thinking the exact words, she whispers to me "Jesus, even as a kid that Joffrey fella has a punchable face!"

To be fair to Batman if he knew he was going to turn out to be such a little boll*cks he probably would have overlooked the no killing rule.:pac:

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair to Batman if he knew he was going to turn out to be such a little boll*cks he probably would have overlooked the no killing rule.:pac:

This guy had the right idea:

Advertisement