Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea the first time I saw it I thought the same, but he almost looked like he was in fast forward to me the second time around. As I said though, I wasn't sure and you could very well be right.

He does move very quickly alright, I'm not sure if its sped up with effects or he can just punch that quick, its a cool shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Off to see this again tonight. This will be the first time I have ever gone to see a film twice in the cinema. Normally I don't see the point

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Since were talking about the Nolan movies you could also say his lack of fighting skills make him unworthy of the Batman mantle, Bruce Wayne is more John McClane than Sherlock Holmes!

Anyway I still say it stinks of poor writing and deus ex machina (thats latin for "pulls it out of his ass") :D

You obviously missed the bit where this was left in the Batcave for Blake.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Off to see this again tonight. This will be the first time I have ever gone to see a film twice in the cinema. Normally I don't see the point
    Considering I didn't pay to see the first time, I should probably go again.

In fact, technically, I think I was paid to see it the second time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got back from the cinema. Have to say it was incredibly good. There were a few WTF moments but it was still quite enjoyable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Watched it today with my son and both of us are very impressed, completely forgot about the sweets we were that engrossed!

Loved Bane, genuinely scarey, though a bit hard to understand at times, the first fight scene was epic, Oldman very understated and Blake stole the show for me.

Couple of things bugged me, the police with handguns vs. the automatic guns just seemed too easy the main one, the others just niggly things that didn't spoil it overall.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

the warden from the shawshank redemption...

did anybody else see/notice him as one of the first people out of the stock exchange with hands up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

FlashD wrote: »
    It wasn't until she knifed Batman that I remembered 'Oh yeah Tahlia is supposed to be in this, read that on Boards months back'. :D

There was tons of other stuff I missed until I came on Boards to read this thread.
    Great service is Boards, helps the stupid like me.

I twigged it for a different reason, having successfully avoided everything to do with this for ages I actually copped who she would be because of the feckin game on the xbox 360!

On topic, I finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Someone on here has said they were unhappy with the end scene, did they want Nolan to do another Inception and leave it open to interpretation??

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Just saw it for the second time- I can honestly say that it gets better when you watch it again. Any doubts were quelled second time around.

Selina Kyle/Anne Hathaway aspect was brilliant although her and Batman as a crime-fighting team is a little reminiscent of the old films which I don't like- he should be alone. Bane was perfectly understandable this time apart from one sentence in the prison cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

GAAman wrote: »
    I twigged it for a different reason, having successfully avoided everything to do with this for ages I actually copped who she would be because of the feckin game on the xbox 360!

On topic, I finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Someone on here has said they were unhappy with the end scene, did they want Nolan to do another Inception and leave it open to interpretation??

A bit cheezy for me, a nod would have been enough, but not a bugbear for me.

I thought Freeman looked after Wayne's money so it wouldn't be completely out of place for him to be in Wall Street, bit odd alright but more a symbolism thing?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

So, Catwoman's never actually referred to as Catwoman, is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Unlikely to happen. I was listening to an interview Nolan did with Empire in which he seemed to pride himself on shooting as efficiently as possible so that very little ends up on the cutting floor.

Yeah I saw that in another interview with Nolan yesterday, he admitted that there won't really be much extra footage for the dvd crowd.
    During bane and Batman's second punch up did anyone else notice how bane seemed to get a bit sped up when Batmans broke his mask?

I didn't notice the speed but the second fight certainly felt more intense. I really love that shot of Bane demolishing the pillar with a series of hits, it really upped the ampo.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anyone else think the statue at the end of TDKR looked really like how Crane saw Batman under the poison gas?

When I saw that statue, the first thing that popped in my head was 'Alex Ross', kind of has his style, any one know who designed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

I don't think so actually. She is referred to as a "Cat burglar" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

She's called The Cat in the newspaper clippings on the Batcomputer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

You can really hear the difference in the audibility of Bane's voice between the prologue and the version of the opening from the final cut...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsghk1_bane-s-voice-comparison-imax-prologue-vs-final-film_shortfilms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I saw this for the second time lastnight, mentioning the gas there just reminded me. During bane and Batman's second punch up did anyone else notice how bane seemed to get a bit sped up when Batmans broke his mask? Its like whatever the mask was giving him, the dosage got upped or something and he gets amped and starts moving unnaturally quick for a few seconds. Its when he smashes the pillar with his fists.

I though it was a nice little nod to the venom from the books, that is if in fact I wasn't seeing things. :)

I thought it was more that he was in pain when his mask broke, and that pain caused him to go into a fit of rage leading him to go berserk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dunno if this has been posted but Hans Zimmer recorded this in London dedicated to those shot and killed in Aurora.

The song can be bought and all of the donations go towards Aurora Victim Relief organization.

It's essentially a very downtrodden, sombre piece with elements of the Dark Knight in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coulagh

Brillant film. Brill end to the triology. Cant wait to sit down one day thrown on the couch and watch the 3 films straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Brilliant film alright. Nolan has changed Superhero films for good. This is on an epic scale. Loved Bain in it. Weak point for me was Robin, i just find that actor annoying. Overall top-class though but not as good as The Dark Knight. The was the best of the trilogy for me. So dark. I found Batman Begins pretty boring tbh but the last 2 - Wow.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Discostuy wrote: »
    I thought it was more that he was in pain when his mask broke, and that pain caused him to go into a fit of rage leading him to go berserk.

Yea, theat probably is the logical conclusion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Oh holy Christ on a broom stick, tried reading back through the thread but the amount of crap people who must have been at the toilet half the film are coming up with is really ****ing with my calm!

How did Batman escape the bomb? Why didn't they blow the bomb straight away? Why did they need to include Daggot, who only just provided Bane with everything he needed to take control?? Arrrrgh

Anyway, I went to see it and loved every second, didn’t go in to compare it to BB or THK but saw it as the final part to a long story brilliantly told.
    Loved Bane, great to see the Bat have physically superior enemy.
    Some great lines, great cast and a lot of thought went into the intricacy of the story.

10/10 for me and to those complaining about this that and the other, go see it again but this time put your phone away, stop day dreaming about the Joker and just enjoy the third act in the best super hero movie ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

As has been said before on this thread many times, ignoring and denying the faults of the movie is just as bad as nitpicking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Saw it for the second time there last night in the Odean. It has actually got better. I got more involved in the movie, soaked it up more and wasn't trying to think ahead of it.

Bane has grown on me too, particularily the scene in front of Blackgate, spouting lies and false hope knowing he's going to kill everyone anyway. The way he said "This city will endure", just brilliant.

I also noticed Talia/Tate more and how she was ratting everyone out every single time. The little glance towards bane when leaving the fusion device room, her coolness in the court scene. Everything became alot clearer.

I still got shivers when Batman appears for the first time, the setting, the speed the music and the line "you're in for a show tonight". I certainly was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw it for the second time there last night in the Odean. It has actually got better. I got more involved in the movie, soaked it up more and wasn't trying to think ahead of it.

That's awesome, that's what I want to hear. For me Batman Begins got worse on second watch and better on third watch (something that's never happened before) and I'm hoping TDKR gets better which each subsequent viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

al28283 wrote: »
    As has been said before on this thread many times, ignoring and denying the faults of the movie is just as bad as nitpicking

I understand the sentiment but I don't fully agree.

Denying that there are faults is just as bad as nit-picking, however ignoring them is not IMO. Some of my favourite movies have flaws, however I can happily ignore them as the rest of the movie elevates it to the point where those flaws do not matter. I can understand that some flaws may be show-stoppers for some people, but those are entirely subjective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For me The Dark Knight was amazing the first time I saw it but each subsequent time I saw it I kept noticing holes which really began to ruin it for me.
    I've been arguing with a mate who says it's Nolan's second weakest film next to Insomnia and that the story is crap. I was amazed by the amount of slack I was able to cut it as recently, I've noticed a lot of errors in action films which really ruins them for me.
    I thought it was amazing and am seriously considering seeing it again. What an amazing end to an absolutely cracking trilogy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its probably a good thing that people will look at other comic movies and let things slide because "well its just a comic movie" yet people are holding Nolan's films to a much higher standard, he's shown that comic movies can have depth and be taken seriously.

Now if only someone could do the same for videogame film adaptations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Now if only someone could do the same for videogame film adaptations.

Aside from the Arkham games, which were amazing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

krudler wrote: »
    Its probably a good thing that people will look at other comic movies and let things slide because "well its just a comic movie" yet people are holding Nolan's films to a much higher standard, he's shown that comic movies can have depth and be taken seriously.

Aye, and given some of the responses to TDKR, he's a victim of his own high standard.

Advertisement