Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Grimebox wrote: »
    All that said, do you think the film still holds merit? Disappointed is a relative term.

I completely agree with everything you say but still think that the film was good. Very flawed, forgettable but fun action film. I just feel like I've been playing devil advocate to the people referring to the film as the second coming.

Not really, no. It's completely over-rated. I enjoyed very little of it. Of course, it *looked* good, Pfister had done a great job as always. I watched it twice, and some of the dialogue was so clunky and cringeworthy, i'll never watch again. I feel stupid watching it the second time :o

For example:
    • Blake explaining how he knew Batman's identity.
    • Daggett describing the "clean slate" to Selina in such absolute detail. Really?
    • Gordon and Blake having their little row over Gordon lying about Harvey Dent's turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

The worst for me was Alfred telling Bane's entire backstory in 2 minutes. That was awful and extremely lazy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

al28283 wrote: »
    Bane "Ah, you've come back to die with your city"
    Batman "No, I've come back to stop you"

:rolleyes:

What would you have preferred - 'oh hey that pit wasn't so bad, made some friends there, so what you up to bro?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Proxy wrote: »

For example:
    • Blake explaining how he knew Batman's identity.
    • Daggett describing the "clean slate" to Selina in such absolute detail. Really?
    • Gordon and Blake having their little row over Gordon lying about Harvey Dent's turn.

Gordon:There's a point far out there, when the structures fail you. When the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're shackles, letting the bad guy get ahead... Maybe one day you'll have such a moment of crisis. And in that moment, I hope you have a friend like I did. Someone willing to... plunge their hands into the filth, so that you can keep yours clean.
    Blake: Your hands look plenty filthy to me Commissioner.

In fairness i thought that was an excellent piece of dialogue, Oldmans guilt and anger espressed perfectly. And although Blake is disgusted here, he soon comes to realise what Gordon means about rules being shackles when the cops wont allow the kids out of the city. Great scene!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bane "Ah, you've come back to die with your city"
    Batman "No, I've come back to stop you"

:rolleyes:
    Heard this one before, have no problem with it myself. You'd swear some people wanted them to have a shaakesperean verbal joust in the middle of a mass brawl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really liked the Gordon/Blake exchange about failing structures as well. It's also a good example of Nolan possibly over-articulating his themes, which has been a criticism of all his films. See the Joker's talk about chaos, etc in TDK or Ra's rabbiting on about true justice and fear in BB. Personally I think it's good writing. There's an intelligence to it that you don't usually find in blockbusters.

And Daggett's explanation of the "clean slate" is delivered in a very sarcastic way. He's trying to show that such a thing couldn't possibly be real.

fluke wrote: »
    What would you have preferred - 'oh hey that pit wasn't so bad, made some friends there, so what you up to bro?'

But him responding like that just made Batman seem kinda dumb, Bane wasn't actually suggesting that was the reason Batman had come back. It's like Batman doesn't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But him responding like that just made Batman seem kinda dumb, Bane wasn't actually suggesting that was the reason Batman had come back. It's like Batman doesn't get it

Eh no, no it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It wouldn't have been appropriate for Bruce to have some witty retort. It was a deadly serious situation, with Bruce coming face to face with his torturer. He said what any of would us have said, which was basically just stfu and fight.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Eh no, no it's not.

Yes, yes it is. At least that's how it came across to me and those I saw the movie with. One of the many points we started laughing at the movie when we weren't supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

In fairness if this was an Iron Man or Spiderman movie, yeah I would have expected a quip like 'yeah I came to watch it die, you got that right, you got it all under control'. If Batman comes in with a wise ass come back it doesn't work for the character especially given the gravity of the situation.

Besides when somebody says a snarky remark we don't always have the timing to come back with something truly witty. Batman probably came up with something in The Bat before he ejected and thought, 'jaysus wait til I tell Selina that one'

In fairness if this was an Iron Man or Spiderman movie, yeah I would have expected a quip like 'yeah I came to watch it die, you got that right, you got it all under control'. If Batman comes in with a wise ass come back it doesn't work for the character especially given the gravity of the situation.

Besides when somebody says a snarky remark we don't always have the timing to come back with something truly witty. Batman probably came up with something in The Bat before he ejected and thought, 'jaysus wait til I tell Selina that one'

All I'm saying is he shoulda went with a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Dunno if anyone posted this already but for all the minor gripes people have with the movie - have a read.

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/07/your-sarcastic-guide-to-alleged-plot-holes-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Is this anywhere in the score?

tok9 wrote: »
    Is this anywhere in the score?

bits of it are, bits of it aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

bits of it are, bits of it aren't

The majority of the start is Gotham's Reckoning. It great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Finally seen it. Amazing film, and I loved Bane, he was immense.

Probably already posted in here, but no harm in throwing it out again, you can buy Banes jacket. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Probably already posted in here, but no harm in throwing it out again, you can buy Banes jacket. :P
    Now we know Bane's true identity!!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU8XLve4awB7ytWTbIT-HYRd1cw5_4kv3jcJMxA6mTw4RU4H-toQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

just saw it, very good but missing something special that the dark Knight had imo...some jaw dropping action sequences and some good scenes robbed from frank miller's TDKReturns., but went a bit cheese at the end...cats kissing bats? gtfo!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Kevin Smith's evaluation of the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Not so much a review\evaluation than it is a SCENE BY SCENE DESCRIPTION\WALKTHROUGH!!

Still very entertaining though..he does a great impression of Bane!

Does he does this for other films? If so, I'm set for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

After listening to that, I suspect Kevin Smith is actually the voice of Bane :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Elvis Mitchell, where are you now?

Also, one for Ebert fans:"wonderful to look at"? (the man who gave Phantom Menace a good review.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Not enough nitpicking imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What's the point of that video? I listened to 10 mins and he just narrates it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A well-articulated article on 'plot holes' and nitpicking: http://www.avclub.com/articles/plot-holes-and-politics-do-you-need-an-airtight-re,83219/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Grimebox wrote: »
    What's the point of that video? I listened to 10 mins and he just narrates it

Yeah, its like... the worst audiobook ever.

Skipped until he stops talking about the prologue and he starts properly discussing it.. love when he's talking about the back breaking moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watched it today and was very disappointed. It was boring in parts, Michael Caine would not stop crying, I couldn't understand half of what Bane was saying, too many plot holes, too many orphans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

I assume that's where the they were going with the ending (deliberately not putting anything so no spoilers).

Would be interesting & a great transition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just noticed a subtle thing in the movie.

As we all know, at one point in the movie Gordon says the triggerman deal is all crap as he believes bane wouldnt trust someone with that.

But prior to this, Bane wasnt carrying the detonator in the two explosions he caused (underneath wayne enterprises and the football field / underground tunnels) Both times he gustured for someone to pass him the detonator then he detonated.

To me this looks like a sublte indication from Nolan to sharp viewers that the triggerman is indeed real while watching the movie first time around.

Anyone agree?

Advertisement