Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

One thing i wanna say is that after seeing this movie and having watched the others for a recap beforehand:

I've never, ever, been tempted to buy the soundtrack for a movie so much!

Brilliant stuff!

Reading some of this thread and in particular some of the videos on this thread have just convinced me to make the purchase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Finally got round to seeing TDKR.
    It was good but the weakest of the 3 movies,just dragged on a bit and seemed rushed in places.
    BB & TDK did enough to make Nolan's Batman a decent trilogy.
    Music was very good in the movie also. Found it hard to make out Bane's voice as already mentioned.
    Batman Begins is still the best of the lot IMO,loved the whole League of Shadows thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How do you mean? Humour does not equal dumbing down imo.
    I had a little smirk on my face as she disappeared when his back was turned but then he kills it by explaining to the stupid people in the audience that something funny has just occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm not going to rethread everything that's in the thread. Fantastic film blah blah blah but I keep seeing the below and it's niggling at me.
    Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Isn't it right that Bruce Wayne ends up happy rather than brown bread?

Clearly not a dream on the basis that Alfred knew nothing of Selina Kyle.

Did Bruce not tell Alfred about Selina when she stole the pearls? Then he checked the fingerprints and found her with Alfred beside him? Further iirc Alfred made some comment about Bruce and Selina getting together?

It's not important but I keep seeing without any correction towards this version I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just saw it again for the third time. Honestly it gets better each time. This is a magnum opus of a film. Everything I love about movies is contained in it. I was able to appreciate certain scenes and take in more dialogue, understand the arcs and plots more. Little Things like alfred bringing bruces breakfast near the start which has the green vegetable drink, which shows he has been keeping fit and not just sitting around for 8 years.

Then, when Bruce tries to walk when in the prison, he is shaved, but when he wakes up after getting his back fixed, he has a beard. Little things i didn't notice before that make more sense of the story.

I absolutely loved the first bane fight this time, really magnificent stuff. Incredibly cinematography and choreography. So powerful. EDIT: was anyone else reminded of the nightowl vs. Veiggt fight from watchmen?

This film is up there with the dark knight for me now. Take a bow Chris Nolan, an amazing achievement.

One question, what was he mark on talias back and what it's significance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just a scar, I assume. It hints a dark past.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just a scar, I assume. It hints a dark past.

I've a few scars, I must be the 2nd coming of Stalin! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Elessar wrote: »
    Just saw it again for the third time. Honestly it gets better each time. This is a magnum opus of a film. Everything I love about movies is contained in it. I was able to appreciate certain scenes and take in more dialogue, understand the arcs and plots more. Little Things like alfred bringing bruces breakfast near the start which has the green vegetable drink, which shows he has been keeping fit and not just sitting around for 8 years.

Then, when Bruce tries to walk when in the prison, he is shaved, but when he wakes up after getting his back fixed, he has a beard. Little things i didn't notice before that make more sense of the story.

I absolutely loved the first bane fight this time, really magnificent stuff. Incredibly cinematography and choreography. So powerful. EDIT: was anyone else reminded of the nightowl vs. Veiggt fight from watchmen?

This film is up there with the dark knight for me now. Take a bow Chris Nolan, an amazing achievement.

Oh dear. Okay I can't take this any more. I'm actually done with this thread and I mean it this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Grimebox wrote: »
    Oh dear. Okay I can't take this any more. I'm actually done with this thread and I mean it this time

Yea, Magnum Opus is a bit strong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What?
    some people can't engage in discussion with differing opinions, nothing to worry about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What?

I will at least explain what I meant to you since I quoted you. Calling this film Christopher Nolan's magnum opus is delusional in my opinion. I have argued already in this thread why I think the film is above average but far from flawless. I am just sick of people referring to it like that so I am bowing out. Many people agree with you. I didn't mean to offend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Bane had one too,League of Shadows thing.
    Have a read in here horse.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/trivia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Fantastic trilogy ending. Really enjoyed every minute of it. I think Bane had a very powerful villain presence, the strongest off the lot tbh. But I think I have a bit of a man crush on Tom Hardy so don't mind me..

carry on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

We went to see this while down in Clifden in a tiny cinema that's very cute but very echoey, leaving much of Bane's speech unintelligible!:(

However, we loved it, it was great fun. Can't wait till it's out on dvd so we can watch all three in a row and make the most of the trilogy!

There's a lot of heated debate in here, but think it's gonna be a very similar case when The Hobbit comes out (which is my number one anticipated movie right now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I had a little smirk on my face as she disappeared when his back was turned but then he kills it by explaining to the stupid people in the audience that something funny has just occurred.

The funny part was when he said it; it wouldn't have been funny otherwise.

Stompbox wrote: »
    The funny part was when he said it; it wouldn't have been funny otherwise.
    It was a visual joke, you see her disappear when his back is turned just like he has done many times in the first two films and the punchline is his expression when he turns around, he didn't have to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It was a visual joke, you see her disappear when his back is turned just like he has done many times in the first two films and the punchline is his expression when he turns around, he didn't have to say anything.

Who fcuking cares if he did say anything or didn't. The nit picking is so over the top it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

SantryRed wrote: »
    Who fcuking cares if he did say anything or didn't. The nit picking is so over the top it's unreal.

There is one time in the movie where I'm pretty sure it's not even Christian Bale in the bat suit.

Bloody Joke!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm a bit late to the party, had to avoid certain parts of the internet for nearly 2 weeks until I saw it Thursday night.
    I had contributed strongly to the pre-release thread & had bought into the hype, sadly I was very disappointed with the film.

The over explanation that Nolan's been guilty of before was full throttle here, lets hear about clean slate for the third time please.
    Michael Caine's pleading Alfred has become tiresome, is he stuck on a loop.
    Batman's escape from the cops up the ramp was cringe worthy.
    Bane did not inspire fear, some of this is down to the lack of visual facial gestures but some of the dialogue came across as a joke.
    Blake's explanation of how he knew Bruce was batman was awful.
    The sense of dread with the besieged Gotham just didn't translate.
    Wayne's sudden loss of fortune during the heist could have been easily reversed once the fingerprint theft was explained.
    Why didn't Talia drop the ropes on the rim back into the prison once she'd escaped.
    Banes citizen trigger thing, wtf.
    How did Talia know where to stab Batman's bullet glancing Kevlar suit.
    What happened to Bane once he'd been shot by the batpod, was that it ???

It was the whole feel of this film that annoyed me the most, I didn't buy into the premise of any of this being real, it was like watching a kids film.
    Overall, 5/10.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well obviously I do?
    Like I said I thought it was a nice in-joke until the writers decided they needed to cater for the lowest common denominator and get batman to explain that a funny moment had taken place, if it was transformers or similar it wouldn't have bothered me but in a trilogy that is generally well written and has such depth in its characters it comes across very condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought it was funnier when he said it myself. Otherwise it's half funny with the sense of Selina Kyle being a little mysterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Corholio wrote: »
    Thought it was funnier when he said it myself. Otherwise it's half funny with the sense of Selina Kyle being a little mysterous.
    Exactly. It's called a punchline.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Well obviously I do?
    Like I said I thought it was a nice in-joke until the writers decided they needed to cater for the lowest common denominator and get batman to explain that a funny moment had taken place, if it was transformers or similar it wouldn't have bothered me but in a trilogy that is generally well written and has such depth in its characters it comes across very condescending.

To be fair to the writers, they put it in as a nod to the comics. There's a moment when Superman and Batman are having a conversation on a roof, Bats turns his back to Supes and when he turns back around he's gone, then Batman says the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Bane did not inspire fear, some of this is down to the lack of visual facial gestures but some of the dialogue came across as a joke.
    The sense of dread with the besieged Gotham just didn't translate.
    Wayne's sudden loss of fortune during the heist could have been easily reversed once the fingerprint theft was explained.
    Why didn't Talia drop the ropes on the rim back into the prison once she'd escaped.
    Banes citizen trigger thing, wtf.

It was the whole feel of this film that annoyed me the most, I didn't buy into the premise of any of this being real, it was like watching a kids film.
    Overall, 5/10.

I think Alfred loves Bruce as he raised him, i think thats why hes pleading with Bruce, as he cares. Weird eh?

In regards to the Heist, Fox says the bankruptcy is only temporary, once it gets investigated and proven fraudulent but it will take time.

And i dont think Talia dropped a rope down as she was running for her life away from people trying to rape/kill her.. And then came back with her father to kill them and save Bane.

Bane was shot by the batpod rockets, pretty sure hes dead or in need of a hopo..

And It wouldnt take a dumby to look at someones rib area, see where the panels dont join and sink a knife in, she was crouched beside him while he gloated to bane. Or she had bane take her to the armoury in Wayne building to look at the stockpile of stuff he was using.. **** man thats a nit pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I will at least explain what I meant to you since I quoted you. Calling this film Christopher Nolan's magnum opus is delusional in my opinion. I have argued already in this thread why I think the film is above average but far from flawless. I am just sick of people referring to it like that so I am bowing out. Many people agree with you. I didn't mean to offend you.
    What can you say to this other than, calm down? I hate Fight Club but I don't get all dramatic when somebody tells me it's their favorite movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Where's best to see this in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah that's exactly it, he's stuck in a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm a bit late to the party, had to avoid certain parts of the internet for nearly 2 weeks until I saw it Thursday night.
    I had contributed strongly to the pre-release thread & had bought into the hype, sadly I was very disappointed with the film.

I suppose not everyone is going to enjoy something, however.....
    The over explanation that Nolan's been guilty of before was full throttle here, lets hear about clean slate for the third time please.

It's just a clue, not really an over explanation. Catwoman's main goal was the clean slate prior to meeting Batman. So that was obviously be on her mind the whole time.

Well if you've fathered a child like he has with Bruce, wouldn't you be worried about his health and safety? Alfred also acts as Bruce's conscious in the movie as well, he represents the side that doesn't want Bruce to continue.

Suppose it was a little cheesy, but hardly something to be really annoyed about. That's just nitpicking.

I would have thought his size and strength was what inspired fear. I felt the lack of facial expressions was covered up by Tom hardy's body language.

As for his dialogue, I thought everything Bane said was pretty cool. So many quotes.

I didn't like that as well, especially since it made everyone else who didn't figure it out look like idiots. But at the same time, there are flaws in Batman's character in regards to his identity, much like Superman. It's just one of those things where logic does not apply.

Batman likes to do things his own way.

Same reason Bruce didn't, they had other things on their mind.

I would imagine she did her homework on Batman before she even dealt with him. Probably knew his weakspots.

Pretty much dead, he got shot by a cannon or something. In Nolan's universe even a guy like Bane wouldn't survive that.

You have to remember what you're watching here. It's a movie based on a comic book hero. When you watch a movie like that, realism in not the best thing to look for. I felt Nolan did the best he could to make the Batman movies legit and as realistic as possible, but not even Nolan can make them perfectly realistic. How would you explain a costumed vigilante? or a man who dresses up like a Clown? Or a secret organisation like the League of Shadows? it's fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah that's exactly it, he's stuck in a loop.

Does that mean Batman Begins will be released again soon?

Advertisement